PDA

View Full Version : All persons with ATI cards: Read this NOW

Pages : [1] 2

PF_Coastie
02-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Hi all,

First a little back ground of me. I used to be an ATI driver Beta tester 4 or 5 years ago. In order to get the quickest solution to a problem (especially with older games like this), ATI must receive a substantial amount of complaints through the feedback form linked below. IT DOES NO GOOD COMPLAINING ON FORUMS, THEY DO NOT CARE.
I am sending an email to Terry Makedon at ATI(head of the driver program). Not sure if he will even open it, but I am going to try in the hope that he remembers me.

If you are an ATI user and you have the blocky text bug with all drivers past the 9.10's, You MUST go to the ATI CATALYST CREW FEEDBACK FORM (http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D27E29B0E3) and fill it out NOW.

You must do this after EVERY driver release until it is fixed.

You must also be sure to list the IL2 1946 in comments section where you explain the problem and how to reproduce it.

Please do this NOW. It only takes a few minutes.

Also, Please link this thread in your squad forums and any other forums you visit regularly involving IL2.

Lastly, HIT REPLY TO THIS THREAD SAYING YOU ALSO HAVE THIS PROBLEM. This will be the URL you will link to in the form.

Thanks all,

PF_Coastie
02-07-2010, 04:24 PM
LOL, 100+ reads and not a single reply. So much for getting this problem fixed!

JG52Uther
02-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Done.Blocky text with cat 10.1.Fixed it by using an earlier atioglxx in the main game folder.

FA_IKKYO
02-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Coastie I have posted this link to the Fallen Angels forums. Hope this will help.

Jumoschwanz
02-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Yea, I tried the latest drivers and they did that, so I went back to the old ones on the disk I got with the video card.

Also, if there is water in the picture while guns are firing I get all kinds of funny artifacts.

PF_Coastie
02-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Roger that guys, Thanks.

The OGL file in the folder is just a band aid. ATI needs to fix this in future drivers so that people don't have to jump through these hoops to play the game.

I sent an email to Tery Makedon today. I hope he answers me this week.

julian265
02-07-2010, 11:39 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...871054147#5871054147 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/6761097017?r=5871054147#5871054147)

The same old story...

cmirko
02-08-2010, 03:33 AM
done http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif - lets hope someone at ATI is actually reading these complaints....

Feathered_IV
02-08-2010, 05:53 AM
Oleg mentioned that he received no cooperation from ATI while developing SoW, but Nvidia has been in constant communication with Maddox Games.
It seems if you are serious about flight sims, you would be best to go with Nvidia in the future. ATI trades performance for patriotism. Hey! Thats a great company slogan right there http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Fogmaster_
02-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Feathered_IV: ATI trades performance for patriotism. Hey! Thats a great company slogan right there http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

HUH? ATI is a canadian company, now owned by the Texas company AMD.

Coastie, I've posted this link to the JG1 forums as well so hopefully we can get this resolved!

Although... I will never buy another ATI product as long as I can help it. I've only owned 2 ATI cards in my life (a 9800m and a 4890) and both had artifacts problems with games... I went out on a limb thinking that they must not be all that bad since AMD bought them...

PF_Coastie
02-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Hey all,

Terry Makedon did get back to me and said the problem will be looked into. So, there is hope!

Fogmaster, sorry to hear about your problems with ATI cards. I could say the exact same thing about Nvidia the one time I owned one of their cards. Funny how that works isn't it? Thank a lot for passing this thread on. It will help.

We must try to get people to reply to this thread too guys. This is the reference I put in my email to Terry. I know there are many about this. But I wanted a central thread instead of putting 10 different links!

Fogmaster_
02-08-2010, 03:53 PM
really is funny how that works out lol. Got people in my squad who get all their problems resolved with ATI by dropping in the dll in their IL2 directory.

I haven't tried it yet myself but others have no problems...

We will see how SOW turns out... I bet the change to OpenGL will resolve most of these issues

DKoor
02-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Thanks for heads up, meaning in the next rig I buy (and I plan it this year if everyhting works out good) I'll put nVidia card.
Previously I didn't cared much but if opportunity arises I'll go for nVidia.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

PF_Coastie
02-08-2010, 04:08 PM
I believe SOW is going to be totally DirectX, no OpenGL from what I understand.

There are some links to the 9.10 atiogl.dll file floating around if you want to try it.

FA_Fireskull
02-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Hi everyone,

AKA_Coastie,this is a vital thread.

A few weeks ago I discovered that ATI is focusing on generating sales with things such as fast clock times. They are focusing on news grabbing things that generate sales.

My research further shows a lag in ATI software and chip internal instructions support. This is no surprise to you gentlemen ( and any ladies, if any ). The nVidia company, by constrast, is proceding to have the algorithm delevopment keep pace with hardware development.

DirectX 11 will see many products that use it roll unto the markets - a flood which will swamp the current time lead by ATI. The next generation PhysX technology used in Storm of War is going to surprise and dazzle the gaming market. ATI will regret their neglect. Once again nVidia will rise like creme to the top.

I am posting the link to this Topic in my article at All Aircraft Arcade. It can be found in the PC Tech Help Forum. It is the first regular member Sticky to be established in that forum at the top of the list, so you can not miss it. The name of my Topic is " PC Technical Relationship to IL-2: This info helps everyone ". You can study these issues in my topic:

No links to that site please, edited out...

In my topic and elsewhere, I began a few weeks ago to bring IL-2 members at AAA to the realization that they need to seriously consider nVidia as the best choice for IL-2 and Storm of War. They are also being prepared by me for the need to use DirectX 11 with Storm of War. I will continue to do so.

AKA_Coastie, thank you very much for your work. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JarheadEd
02-08-2010, 11:55 PM
I too have the dreaded block text. VERY frustrating.

cmirko
02-09-2010, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by FA_Fireskull:
The next generation PhysX technology used in Storm of War is going to surprise and dazzle the gaming market.

care to elaborate where did you get this information ? Oleg never mentioned use of any proprietary PhysX technology in SOW....., the rest of your post is pure nvidia fanboy stuff, I really hope that new dx11 cards from nvidia are good http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif, just for your peace of mind.

cheers

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Hi everyone,

AKA_Coastie,this is a vital thread.

A few weeks ago I discovered that ATI is focusing on generating sales with things such as fast clock times. They are focusing on news grabbing things that generate sales.

My research further shows a lag in ATI software and chip internal instructions support. This is no surprise to you gentlemen ( and any ladies, if any ). The nVidia company, by constrast, is proceding to have the algorithm delevopment keep pace with hardware development.

DirectX 11 will see many products that use it roll unto the markets - a flood which will swamp the current time lead by ATI. The next generation PhysX technology used in Storm of War is going to surprise and dazzle the gaming market. ATI will regret their neglect. Once again nVidia will rise like creme to the top.

I am posting the link to this Topic in my article at All Aircraft Arcade. It can be found in the PC Tech Help Forum. It is the first regular member Sticky to be established in that forum at the top of the list, so you can not miss it. The name of my Topic is " PC Technical Relationship to IL-2: This info helps everyone ". You can study these issues in my topic:

No links to that site please, edited out...

In my topic and elsewhere, I began a few weeks ago to bring IL-2 members at AAA to the realization that they need to seriously consider nVidia as the best choice for IL-2 and Storm of War. They are also being prepared by me for the need to use DirectX 11 with Storm of War. I will continue to do so.

AKA_Coastie, thank you very much for your work. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I call BS. ATI has had a few driver issues, but no more than nvidia has had over the years (remember the Nvidia Frustration thread anyone?), Oleg has never said anything about Physx, not publicly anyway so unless you know something we don't you're making stuff up. I find it ironic that someone would accuse ATI of having nothing but marketing when nvidia is the king of marketing BS, they haven't had a new card in almost a year, they just keep renaming old cards. Nvidia went on and on about how DX11 was no big deal when ATI had DX11, but now that they are close to having a DX11 card out (months and months late) they are hyping it to be the best thing ever, for nvidia users. Nvidia has done several things lately that while not illegal is highly unethical, they have changed the physx software so that if an ATI card is detected that physx is disabled, even if you are using an older Aigea physx card from before nvidia bought them. They paid off the makers of Batman Arkam Asylum to put in a software check to turn off in-game AA if an ATI card is detected when the in-game AA works perfectly fine with ATI cards. They talk about how they are dedicated to open standards but then all they do is talk about Physx and CUDA, two proprietary and licensed formats. When they unveiled their Fermi card the CEO held up the videocard for all to see and everyone was told this is a working model, well photo analysis has shown that this was a mock-up made with old parts and the cooler held on by wood screws! All nvidia has been doing lately is trash talking, rebranding old cards, and pretending they can innovate. Now when their Fermi cards come out I have no doubt they will be very nice cards, I may even get one if they are priced right for the performance, but I won't like it because of nvidia's deceptive and anti-consumer business practices.

LLv34_Flanker
02-10-2010, 06:37 AM
S!

The neverending story of ATI vs nVidia rages on, nothing new there http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif My opinion on this is that people are blinded by the tech mumbo jumbo and benchmarks, often having nothing to do with real gameplay. A driver or benchmark can be tailored for it etc. But again, not going to that swamp http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I have written on ATI boards about IL-2 and ATI, Coastie told about this Terry's answer giving hope with IL-2. I have tested a lot in the past days with different DLL files floating around and found the best ones so far being not the latest but some 2008 ones?! Can post the info here if anyone wants to read.

As of ATI having crap drivers. I beg to disagree. IL-2 is the ONLY game on my rig that has ANY problems with the 5870HD. Rest of them run off the bat without a glitch, including Mass Effect 2, STALKER:SoC, Aces High 2, Rise Of Flight etc. So I think the drivers do their job well http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

What I have noted with ATI is that the Catalyst AI is more or less a useless feature that could be substituted with something else. It causes stutter and loss of FPS in IL-2 for example. I have it OFF all the time for all my games.

As of FSAA. the Edge Detect is one of the coolest ways so far I've seen. It gives damn nice quality in antialiasing WITHOUT hampering the FPS noticeably. And if it does dip your fps from 120 to 118..you won't notice it anyway http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

SoW will be DirectX 11 and with my limited tech info shouldn't DirectX be same for all, kind of a standard? Card makers..well..the 2 only brands can make their drivers to this. I really wish the so called "info" on Oleg's bias on nVidia is just hot air. I really wish he would not go to this "one trick pony" road again with SoW, as he did with IL-2 being "nvidialized". Both ATI and nVidia make cards churning out great performance so would not be wise to favor just one. I for one will not buy nvidia to play ONE game if others run just fine without excessive tweaking..

Thanks Coastie for bringing up the issue, much appreciated. If I can help in anyway just ask http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-10-2010, 08:54 AM
Oleg and crew stated several months ago that they bought a bunch of hardware to upgrade their test systems, and since SoW will be DX11 and there is no nvidia DX11 card out right now nor was there a testing model even available for developers at the time they upgraded, one can safely assume Oleg is testing DX11 on a 5870.

Please, no one take my above rant as ATI fanboy remarks, I have an nvidia card in my rig right now, have had in the past, and may have in the future. It just erks me when folks try to imply that nvidia is better or has less problems than ATI, they are both make competent and capable cards and drivers. Nvidia's current business practices however leave a bad taste in my mouth.

LLv34_Flanker
02-10-2010, 10:40 AM
S!

Here my tests with various DLL files floating around, all from Maddox Games so as official as it can be. First off my system is built with XFX 5870HD 1Gb DDR5 card using the latest 10.1 hotfix drivers, Intel i7 920 CPU, Intel DX58SO motherboard, 3 x 2Gb DDR3, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit etc. I have NOT overclocked anything, all is at stock speeds.

Catalyst Control Center settings for all the tests were as follows:

Antialiasing - Edge-detect level 4X, Samples 12X

AA Mode - Performance

Anisotropic Filtering - 4X

Catalyst AI - OFF and ON with each DLL for comparison.

Mipmap - High quality

VSync - Always On

Triple Buffering - On

Catalyst AI was used both on and off to measure FPS variation and to see if the flashing ground textures disappeared.

Game settings were 1920 x 1200, Perfect Landscape, 32-bit. Check conf.ini for more details, posting it below the test results. All tests run on The Black Death track. UltraPack v2.0m with following mods enabled: HG&P Effects URanium Edition, Bullets Intermittent Smoketrail and Hakenkruz Enabler. There is no difference whatsoever in the game behaviour between modded or stock game so ran it modded.

Test results below in order they were ran. Where Catalyst AI is mentioned Standard was used. Advanced caused water to look "pixelated" with small squares on surfaces.

1)DLL dated 27.2.2008
Min 22 Max 73 Avg 53 FPS
- No flashing ground textures
- Lot of different error messages in the console, clamp and texture errors

2)DLL dated 15.2.2008
Min 22 Max 71 Avg 53 FPS
- Only a few clamp errors on console

3)DLL dated 9.2.2008
Min 21 Max 71 Avg 53 FPS
- Very few clamp errors in console.

4)DLL 4.09B version 4
Min 22 Max 71 Avg 53 FPS
- Heavy ground texture flashing without Catalyst AI, if ON then normal display.
- clamp errors in console

5)DLL 4.09B version 2
Min 23 Max 70 Avg 53
- Heavy ground texture flashing, Cat AI corrects this
- Clamp errors in console

Below the conf.ini regarding the OpenGL section. There was NO earlier atioglxx.dll in IL2 folder. All versions of DLL had blocky text, but it cleared within seconds when the track started. If setting EFFECTS=0, then the blocky text would NOT clear. With Effects=1 it did. Also with 0 the planes had flashing textures and missing 3D parts near explosions.

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=1
TexFlags.UseClampedSprites=0
TexFlags.DrawLandByTriangles=0
TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=0
TexFlags.DisableAPIExtensions=0
TexFlags.ARBMultitextureExt=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineExt=1
TexFlags.SecondaryColorExt=1
TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=1
TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=0

TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=0
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineDot3=1
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0
TexFlags.SeparateSpecular=1
TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=0

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=3
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=3
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=8
Water=0
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetFactor=-0.0625
PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

PF_Coastie
02-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Flanker, Tanks for the post.

As for using dll's from older drivers. I would not go back beyond the 9.10 drivers if you own a 5xxx series card.

A far as FSAA, did you mean SSAA (super samplin) or AMSAA (Adaptive Multisample)? I am not sure what FSAA is.

Urufu,

Yeah, that stuff erks me too. It is one of the reasons why I am an ATI fanboy, LOL!

PF_Coastie
02-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Just saw your benchmark tests.

Very nice work man. I am glad you noted the errors in console. These have always puzzled me.

Are you using Game dlls or ATI Driver dll's? Looking at the above, it looks like you are talking about the different game dll's floating around.

PS: Please re-run a few of the tests with Vsynch turned off. I think you will find it makes a BIG difference in your average. Your fps is capped at around 60 which is your monitor refresh rate.

LLv34_Flanker
02-10-2010, 11:24 AM
S!

Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif All tests are run with the game DLL's floating around. These are from the "5-Pack" I found. I use only Catalyst 10.1 Hotfix drivers now, no earlier atioglxx.dll in IL-2 folder anymore. Sure makes it a bit troublesome to join a MP game, but I run a track first and then join via IP directly.

I tested without VSync, but tearing bothers me. The average was around 95-100fps though. But as TrackIR user need VSync http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I use a 24" screen (16:10).

Those error messages seem to be related to graphics being clamped to 512 from higher values like 1024. Other errors were related to objects or calls to the java code itself.

Antialiasing Mode can be set separately and mine is at Performance(most left), not at adaptive(middle) or Supersampling(to the right). I use Edge-detect as Antialiasing because it offers best quality with minimal performance hit.

PF_Coastie
02-10-2010, 11:56 AM
I tested without VSync, but tearing bothers me. The average was around 95-100fps though. But as TrackIR user need VSync I use a 24" screen (16:10).

I know it is bothersome without Vsynch when playing. I do not recommend it at these high resolutions and using TIR. However, It is imperetive to turn it off while benchmarking so all people can compare fps equally. It will also give the most accurate average fps because your fps are no longer limited to refresh rate.

Antialiasing Mode can be set separately and mine is at Performance(most left), not at adaptive(middle) or Supersampling(to the right). I use Edge-detect as Antialiasing because it offers best quality with minimal performance hit.

I see. I use box/SSAA because at this resolution, I just do not see a difference between that, Wide-tent, Narrow-tent or edge detect. But I did see an fps drop using my 5770. Your card has a lot more horsepower than mine so you probably didn't see as much difference in fps.

LLv34_Flanker
02-10-2010, 12:03 PM
S!

Will run a quick test without VSync. Also found a new set of DLL's dated 13.03.2008 and giving them a try as well. And results below..Using the 13.3.2008 ones vs 9.2.2008 ones that were best before.

VSync ON with DLL dated 13.3.2008
min 23 max 70 avg 70 fps

VSync OFF with DLL dated 13.3.2008
min 23 max 243 avg 83 fps

VSync OFF with DLL dated 9.2.2008
min 23 max 242 avg 82 fps

So not much difference there. But the newly found 13.3.2008's have no artifacting at all and very few floatstr clamp errors.

cmirko
02-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Flanker would you mind uploading all the dll's you've found so far ? Would like to check these errors in console...

thanks

LLv34_Flanker
02-10-2010, 01:03 PM
S!

cmirko, you can grab them HERE (http://www.mediafire.com/?nmtmmjxnymz) and HERE (http://www.mediafire.com/?nmtmmjxnymz). Both are packed and on MediaFire.

PF_Coastie
02-10-2010, 01:22 PM
Where can we get the new ones you found (13/3/2008)?

Nevermind, I got them in a collection zip I got some time ago. Will test these out.

LLv34_Flanker
02-10-2010, 01:34 PM
S!

Should be in links above http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Now off for some Mass Effect 2 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

PF_Coastie
02-10-2010, 01:37 PM
No, those 2 links are to the same zip file and that one is not in there.

PF_Coastie
02-10-2010, 01:41 PM
LOL, I just looked in my IL2 folder and I am using the 3/13/08 ones already!

FA_Fireskull
02-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Hello, everyone.

Thank you for the conversation.

The DirectX 11 mode will blow the tops off guys heads when they see how it renders simulations. Oleg knows this. Storm of War will certainly run DirectX 11. In my opinion, part of the delay of Storm of War has to do with support. Though this support is later than expected, the quality of the DirectX 11 rendering will more than compensate for this.

About ATI cards, the hardware itself is fine. Part of the problem with people's perception is that they have been influenced by other people's experiences, myself included. Also, headeline grabbing events influence people. It is a fact that nVidia has better aftermarket and freeware IL-2 support over ATI. Given, a large amount of this is caused from nVidia issues with running games out the box. However, my personal experience having much communication with many IL-2 users is that ATI users have more problems than nVidia users. From my observation, this is just fact. I do not know the scientific reasons for this. I do know that guys are having to pay more money for great ATI performance and fewer issues with IL-2 than nVidia users are.

About nVidia, Microsoft has publically stated that they are working with nVidia and chip makers to do a much better job of rendering DirectX in the coming DirectX 11 out-roll of products. It is absolutely certain that Storm of War will be rendered by nVidia's DirectX 11 PhysX Technology to the fullest potential. A larger structure takes more time to create. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif This is the reason for nVidia coming later than ATI. The public statements by nVidia and Microsoft indicate this.

Oleg Maddox is very much aware of these issues-trust me on this.

I really appreciate the conversation. However, please refrain from making incorrect judgements about me and my comments.

Never did I say that ATI cards are inferior. This would be a general blanket statement that I just simply did not make.

If I had much money to spend, I would own both nVidia and ATI based graphics systems to run IL-2. Some of the presumptions made about me and my comments are just wrong. No hard feelings from me-I am quite happy. I actually find it amusing, but not with arrogance. It is amusing because I know that some of you guys are going to have your minds blown by DirectX 11 and Storm of War.

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Hello, everyone.

Thank you for the conversation.

The DirectX 11 mode will blow the tops off guys heads when they see how it renders simulations. Oleg knows this. Storm of War will certainly run DirectX 11. In my opinion, part of the delay of Storm of War has to do with support. Though this support is later than expected, the quality of the DirectX 11 rendering will more than compensate for this.

Agree with this 100%

About ATI cards, the hardware itself is fine. Part of the problem with people's perception is that they have been influenced by other people's experiences, myself included. Also, headeline grabbing events influence people. It is a fact that nVidia has better aftermarket and freeware IL-2 support over ATI. Given, a large amount of this is caused from nVidia issues with running games out the box. However, my personal experience having much communication with many IL-2 users is that ATI users have more problems than nVidia users. From my observation, this is just fact. I do not know the scientific reasons for this. I do know that guys are having to pay more money for great ATI performance and fewer issues with IL-2 than nVidia users are.

This is not fact but anecdotal observation, just as many say the opposite as they have had the opposite experience.

About nVidia, Microsoft has publically stated that they are working with nVidia and chip makers to do a much better job of rendering DirectX in the coming DirectX 11 out-roll of products. It is absolutely certain that Storm of War will be rendered by nVidia's DirectX 11 PhysX Technology to the fullest potential. A larger structure takes more time to create. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif This is the reason for nVidia coming later than ATI. The public statements by nVidia and Microsoft indicate this.

Oleg Maddox is very much aware of these issues-trust me on this.

This is 100% nvidia marketing regurgitated. There is no factual basis here, in fact some of this is outright false, for example:

Microsoft finalized the directX api long ago and did so with cooperation from many companies including Intel, Nvidia, Matrox, ATI and many others. MS is NOT working directly with nvidia to help their DX11 cards be better than any other DX11 cards.

DX11 and Physx have NOTHING to do with each other, Physx is a proprietary API owned by nvidia, the API allows the graphics chip to do some physics calculations for games that have paid the license fee to use it. It has nothing to do with graphics per-se. ATI is supporting HAVOC physics as well as the open-source OpenCL.

The reason for nvidia coming later than ATI has nothing to do with them putting more work into their product and everything to do with the fact that they had a problem with GPU chip yields in their silicon lithography process. They simply were unable to release a product so far due to technical problems, nothing to do with "putting in more work". Nvidia may claim that the delays are to make a better product, but they are just claims, and Microsoft has said nothing about it because they have no interest in whether nvidia gets their $#!* together or not.

I find it funny that anyone would claim that nvidia is responsible for making directX better, they are in fact directly responsible for holding directX BACK! When the DX10 standard was being hashed out MS was aiming higher than what actually was released, nvidia was UNABLE to create a card that matched the DX10 standard as planned so they lobbied MS to dumb down DX10, and MS capitulated. DX 10.1 is what DX10 was supposed to be, ATI supported the original DX10 plans from the get go but had to wait till MS released DX10.1 to be able to implement those features, Nvidia never implemented those features and in fact paid off the makers of a game who used DX10.1 to REMOVE the 10.1 support after ATI cards using 10.1 massively outperformed nvidia cards stuck with DX10.

I really appreciate the conversation. However, please refrain from making incorrect judgements about me and my comments.

Never did I say that ATI cards are inferior. This would be a general blanket statement that I just simply did not make.

If I had much money to spend, I would own both nVidia and ATI based graphics systems to run IL-2. Some of the presumptions made about me and my comments are just wrong. No hard feelings from me-I am quite happy. I actually find it amusing, but not with arrogance. It is amusing because I know that some of you guys are going to have your minds blown by DirectX 11 and Storm of War.

I'm not making any judgments on your statements, the facts do that for themselves.

I agree that SoW and DX11 will be mindblowing, but it will have nothing to do with Nvidia vs. ATI and most certainly nothing to do with Physx.

RamsteinUSA
02-11-2010, 01:41 AM
Thank you very much for helping us let ATI know we are being screwed badly with all Catalyst versions newer than Cat 9.1 having nothing but horrible texture and graphic problems in IL-2!

AKA_Ramstein

LLv34_Flanker
02-11-2010, 01:48 AM
S!

Let's keep the nVidia vs ATI out from here and discuss how to get IL-2 to work better http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif The gateway to ATI has been opened so we are on the right track here already http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

PF_Coastie
02-11-2010, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by RamsteinUSA:
Thank you very much for helping us let ATI know we are being screwed badly with all Catalyst versions newer than Cat 9.1 having nothing but horrible texture and graphic problems in IL-2!

AKA_Ramstein

Ram, you shouldn't be having any texture problems. I will get with you on comms and help you out. I can put the 9.10 atiogl.dll in our downloads so you can put it in your IL2 folder.

You certainly should not be using the 9.1 driver. It should be the 9.10.

gurypuddle
02-11-2010, 05:52 AM
I'm just posting to say I have submitted a ticket as per the ORIGINAL intent of this thread.

I have a 4890 and experience the blocky text thing myself.

Thanks for any efforts to resolve this through a driver fix.

Carry on now...............http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

GP

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-11-2010, 08:41 AM
I'd like to apologize for my part in the partial derailing of this thread, I should know better. Please, let's indeed get back to the original intent of the thread.

FA_Fireskull
02-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
I'd like to apologize for my part in the partial derailing of this thread, I should know better. Please, let's indeed get back to the original intent of the thread.

Yes, I am with that. I apologize, too. It must be distracting to some and adding to confusion for others-sorry to you folk.

Urufu_Shinjiro, I respect your viewpoint. However, as of now, I still vehemently disagree with you on many points, but the debate is closed. Feel free to Private Message me if you would like to continue the debate in private.

Friends of mine are you, if you are an aviation enthusiast and IL-2 lover.

FA_Coastie, I will continue following this topic and direct guys to it who need this help.

By the way, can anyone explain to me how the " Overdrive " program could help in any of the issues mentioned here, if any? Please explain in newbie terms because I am not an ATI user-yet. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Overdrive is just a built in overclocking tool, it doesn't work very well to be honest.

RamsteinUSA
02-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by PF_Coastie:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RamsteinUSA:

AKA_Ramstein

Ram, you shouldn't be having any texture problems. I will get with you on comms and help you out. I can put the 9.10 atiogl.dll in our downloads so you can put it in your IL2 folder.

You certainly should not be using the 9.1 driver. It should be the 9.10. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I only get blocky text I mean extremely to the point of not even being able to see anything, or click on anything..

But, with ATI Cat's 9.1 and earlier, I have no problem with the Cats before these..

so don't worry, my picture is fine,,, with all earlier versions of ATI Cats

and there is no way to fix any newer versions,, there is no fix..

FA_Fireskull
02-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Hi RamsteinUSA,

We simply have not yet found a fix. Often a fix has been applied, or a " work-around ", by somebody but not published by now. There must be thousands of ATI users who fly IL-2. It could be that someone knows the answers to this. Of course, in the future this will definately be resolved.

TheFamilyMan
02-11-2010, 04:27 PM
LOL, I just looked in my IL2 folder and I am using the 3/13/08 ones already! If you are running 4.09m, you are already using the 13.3.08 dll files for they were bundled with the official 4.09m release. And that's why they are the best overall!

FA_Fireskull, do you really represent ATI? Do you really know if ATI will make a fix for IL-2? And what about the ATI Vista/Windows 7 vsync issues with FSX? Now that problem is really (i.e. years) old and people are still complaining and reporting it; I ditched getting ATI graphics for my new rig because of it.

PF_Coastie
02-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Ram, you do not need to go back to 9.1 drivers(January 09). You only need to go back to the 9.10 drivers (Oct 09).

LLv34_Flanker
02-12-2010, 12:20 AM
S!

Changed my hardware a bit yesterday, just for the fun of it. Went from Intel i7 920 and DX58SO motherboard to a Asus M4A79T Deluxe 790FX mobo and AMD Phenom II 965 Black Edition, and added extra 2Gb memory totaling 8Gb now. Nice performance I must say.

As of the blocky text. I use now the 13.3.08 ones and they give nice FPS. If ATI can fix their drivers to get rid of the blocky text and TD/MG possibly would release a new set of DLL files to improve perfromance on ATI cards it would be a bliss. Until then we just have to tinker and see how to get most out of this old yet good game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

FA_Fireskull
02-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by TheFamilyMan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PF_Coastie:
LOL, I just looked in my IL2 folder and I am using the 3/13/08 ones already! If you are running 4.09m, you are already using the 13.3.08 dll files for they were bundled with the official 4.09m release. And that's why they are the best overall!

FA_Fireskull, do you really represent ATI? Do you really know if ATI will make a fix for IL-2? And what about the ATI Vista/Windows 7 vsync issues with FSX? Now that problem is really (i.e. years) old and people are still complaining and reporting it; I ditched getting ATI graphics for my new rig because of it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First, I wanted to say that this website is the best constructed one that I have ever used for IL-2 related stuff. Praise to all those who had a say in it.

Hi, TheFamilyMan

Can we get off presuming and misquoting me?

I indicated probability with ATI and definately a solution found elsewhere. How can you misunderstand that?

I know that you want to contribute, but we need to stay on topic. I already apologized for my role in distracting this topic. Why focus on little ole me??? Why not instead stand for TRUTH???

Why do you want to continue to disrupt this topic????

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Guys, there is a "workaround", get the atioglxx.dll file from a pre 9.11 cats and put that file in your il2 game folder, il2 will use that opengl file instead of the ones from whatever driver you have installed. Apparently it doesn't work for everyone but it works fro many.

FA_Fireskull
02-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Urufu_Shinjiro,

Thanks for the concise explanation - now I understand it. Since I am an nVidia " fanboy " ( just a tease for fun ) LOL, I need to get it in order to directly help guys with this issue.

TheFamilyMan, let's just continue with a positive attitude, okay? I want you to make a good contribution to discussions.

Urufu_Shinjiro, I am on track. I promise to do very well here in the future. Unfortunately, I am not yet a perfect being. LOL

PF_Coastie
02-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Guys, there is a "workaround", get the atioglxx.dll file from a pre 9.11 cats and put that file in your il2 game folder, il2 will use that opengl file instead of the ones from whatever driver you have installed. Apparently it doesn't work for everyone but it works fro many.

Absolutely right. But that is the main reason I have notified Terry. Because it is a "workaround". Something in the driver obviously broke(or got fixed which broke this). So ATI needs to see exactly what the problem is.

Terry did get back to me. They ARE looking into it. We just need to be patient and use the "workaround" until we hear something different.

We need to ensure everyone that has this problem sends in their Catalyst feedback form as instructed in the first post of this thread. The more they get and the more persistent we are, the more attention they will give it.

Thanks guys,

LLv34_Flanker
02-14-2010, 01:59 AM
S!

That workaround works for me as well, but I rather use latest 10.1 Hotfix drivers. It is no big deal to join an online game with IP, just fire up IL2 and run a track to get the blocky text to clear and play http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I have read many forums and people seem to have problems with games that I do not have. Like Mass Effect 2, Stalker etc. I run them without a glitch. But on most profiles their system is overclocked to sky high values and from my experience there is hardly a "rock stable OC" that wouldn't cause some trouble.

But back to topic. Very good to hear Coastie Terry got back. Did you point him to this and ATI forum thread? He could read there too?

LLv34_Flanker
02-14-2010, 02:58 AM
S!

Just ran a quick test with 10.1's on Stock 4.09m enabled in JSGME. The results were quite a bit different!

I ran The Black Death track with following settings: AA Box 2X, AA Mode at SSAA, AF Application Controlled, Texture Quality High Quality, VSync On, Triple Buffer On, Catalyst AI Off. Game resolution 1920x1200, 32-bit, Perfect landscape and conf.ini as before.

The result was the following. I got 25fps minimum, 56fps average and 72fps maximum. The FPS dipped considerably less in certain scens on the track, biggest difference being around 15fps! Compared to my previously tested modded version the difference was noticeable.

I also noted water looked different than with modded game. I use Water=0. I double checked conf.ini and nothing had changed there. Very strange and wondering what is causing this? Let's say ATI gets drivers ready the perfromance will go through the roof! Back to testing..

LLv34_Flanker
02-14-2010, 03:18 AM
S!

Ran 2 tests with above settings, on both Stock 4.09m and UP v2.0 without any extra mods enabled. Results below, kind of surprising..

Stock 4.09m enabled with JSGME
- Min 25 Max 264 Avg 93 FPS
* Blocky text, but cleared during track.
* Different water, more "wavy" on Water=0.
* No artifacts.
* Only 2 building errors in console!

UP v2.0 without other mods on JSGME
- Min 21 Max 235 Avg 81 FPS
* Blocky text cleared faster than with stock.
* Water more flat with Water=0.
* No artifacts.
* No building errors, a few StrClamp errors.

Running stock the FPS was very much more stable and higher in all areas. This can be due the modded game uses new effects and smoke that reduce perfromance a bit. But striking is the different looking water. Food for thought..

PF_Coastie
02-14-2010, 07:24 AM
Flanker,

Thanks for the tests.

You ran your first test with Vsynch on. That is why you got the large fluctuations in fps. But, you will notice the min stayed the same as your second test. Your third test is typical because you did not change to some of the default stuff in the JGSME like "stock clouds".

LLv34_Flanker
02-14-2010, 11:53 AM
S!

In JSGME if I want to run pure stock 4.09m then I choose it only. The Stock Clouds are an option for modded game for those preferring them over the new ones AFAIK.

But really strange that even I ran with VSync on, the stock game was very much smoother in intensive scenes of The Black Death, as I mentioned even 15FPS difference. But this can be because the modded game is harder hitting on system with new effects and all.

Back to testing..

PF_Coastie
02-14-2010, 12:57 PM
UP v2.0 without other mods on JSGME

This is the test I was referring to.

LLv34_Flanker
02-14-2010, 12:58 PM
S!

Ran more tests with IL-2 using Catalyst 10.1 hotfix drivers on the modded version of the game. Namely UltraPack 2.0m with JSGME for switching between different versions. So Mod equals to UP 2.0m in results.

In Catalyst Control Center the following settings:

FSAA: Box, 2X Samples
AA Mode: Super-Sample AA
Catalyst AI: Off
Mipmap Detail Level: High Quality
VSync: Off
Triple Buffering: Off (not ticked)

Game settings per conf.ini that will be posted after results. Resolution 1920x1200, color depth 32bit, Perfect Landscape enabled, 13.3.2008 DLL's in use.

System as follows

ATI Radeon 5870HD 1Gb DDR5 (stock speeds, made by XFX) + Catalyst 10.1 drivers
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition at 3.4GHz (stock)
Asus M4A79T Deluxe motherboard with AMD790FX chipset, onboard Realtek AC1200 audio in use
4 x 2Gb A-Data DDR3 in Dual Channel mode, 1333MHz frequency
Samsung 500Gb HDD, in SATA2 port
BenQ G2400W 24" screen at 1920x1200 60Hz (DVI connected)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with latest updates

Results:

Mod + Stock Clouds enabled
Min 21 Max 229 Avg 79 FPS
- No errors in console

Mod + Stock Clouds + Effects Low
Min 21 Max 225 Avg 80 FPS
- No errors in console

Mod + Modded clouds(light)
Min 21 Max 228 Avg 78 FPS
- No errors in console

Mod + HG&P Uranium Effects
Min 22 Max 230 Avg 78 FPS
- StrClamp errors in console, only few

Mod + Full Effects
Min 22 Max 230 Avg 75 FPS
- No errors in console
- Lower average FPS due longer drawing distance of fire and smoke

Mod + Perfect Land Textures
Min 21 Max 230 Avg 78
- No errors in console

Mod + Stock Clouds + Perfect Land Textures
Min 21 Max 230 Avg 78 FPS
- No errors in console

Mod + Safe DLL's
Min 21 Max 226 Avg 78 FPS
- No errors in console

Mod + 4Gb Client executable
Min 21 Max 229 Avg 78 FPS
- No errors in console

Mod clean without added features
Min 21 Max 231 Avg 79 FPS
- No errors in console

As conclusion it seems the modded game runs very consistently within a few FPS. A possible cause for the StrClamp errors in console can be due the Uranium Effects pack, but what is clamped giving the message is uncertain.

Conf.ini below. Comments and critics welcome.

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0

TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=3
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=8
Water=0
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

PF_Coastie
02-14-2010, 02:00 PM
Now thats how to benchmark people! Very well done Flanker.

Here are a couple of mine using HSFX(I do not have UP).

JSGME settings: hsfx history mod/effects high/original buttons/zuti 1.01up/perfect map textures

AMD Phenom II x 4 955@3.2 (stock)
HIS ATI 5770 1gb (stock)Cat 10.1's with 9.10atioglxx.dll in IL2 folder
Gigabyte GA-790XTA UD4 mobo
4gb 1600 DDR3 ram

Using 4.09m dlls

1920x1080/4xmsaa(shimmering)/anisofilteringame(cccapppref)/aioff
Effects=2 Water=2 Forest=3 LandGeom=3
Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
8995, 145000, 12, 155, 62.034

1920x1080/2xssaa(NOshimmering)/anisofilteringame(cccapppref)/aioff
Effects=1 Water=0 Forest=3 LandGeom=3
9556, 145000, 24, 187, 65.903

1920x1080/2xssaa(NOshimmering)/anisofilteringame(cccapppref)/aioff
Effects=1 Water=0 Forest=1 LandGeom=2
10366, 145000, 24, 189, 71.490

More to follow with some lower HDTV resolutions to help see dots better.

PF_Coastie
02-14-2010, 02:48 PM
OK, tested with resolution at 1280x720HDTV. DOTS! I can see dots again! At 1920 res, dots are only visible at about 5-7km out and they are difficult to see. But at this res, they look awesome and so does the game. Plus it gives me some headroom to crank up some more stuff.

HSFX4.1 settings: hsfx history mod/stock clouds/effects low/original buttons/zuti 1.01up

1280x720HDTV/4xssaa(NOshimmering)/anisofilteringame(cccapppref)/aioff
Can see dots at max distance!

***No sound hardware accelleration

11978, 145000, 26, 224, 82.607

HSFX4.1 settings: hsfx history mod/effects high/original buttons/zuti 1.01up/perfect map textures

11247, 145000, 24, 224, 77.566

HSFX4.1 settings: hsfx history mod/effects high/original buttons/zuti 1.01up/perfect map textures

Effects=2 Water=2 Forest=3 LandGeom=3

8553, 145000, 8, 154, 58.986
(slide show in hvy action)

This thing really shows the 5770's weakness and this old games Modded power when you crank everything up.

thefruitbat
02-14-2010, 02:52 PM
if your interested, i can post you some benchmarks of a nvidia gtx280, up2.0 and stock, which i ran the other day, just for kicks, although i know this is an ati thread.

PF_Coastie
02-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Thanks Fruitbat, but I think that should go in another thread. Is there a thread we can put some comparisons in in the community help forum? If not, start one and I will copy paste these over there.

Thanks a lot for asking FB.

LLv34_Flanker
02-14-2010, 03:18 PM
S!

Did some testing again. This time fiddled with conf.ini to see if there is any particular setting that would bring anomalies or improve FPS in any way.

So what I discovered is LandShading=2 brought back the funkadelic textures in explosions. Putting it back to 3 removed them again. This happened with Effects=0 as well, but with 1 no corruption. Interesting.

Also fiddled with Forest=0, 1, 2, 3. Forest=0 of course gives best FPS by a really considerable margin. I got in Black Death Min 25 Max 250 Avg 85 with that. Forest=1 and 2 reduced FPS without giving much better visuals. Forest=3 had less FPS hit than 1/2 and has a bit less performance than 0.

Again..PolygonStipple is pretty useless setting if Shadows=2. I turned it off and Min 22 Max 238 Avg 80 from previous values.

Specular=3 has some impact on FPS but gives, in my opinion, better plane shine reflections. Game default is 2. Try and see.

Current conf.ini is not much changed from the above one except that now Specular=2 from 3 and PolygonStipple=0 from 1.

thefruitbat
02-14-2010, 03:27 PM
Thanks Fruitbat, but I think that should go in another thread. Is there a thread we can put some comparisons in in the community help forum? If not, start one and I will copy paste these over there.

Thanks a lot for asking FB.

no worries, now a thread in community help forum awaiting your attention http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

LLv34_Flanker
02-14-2010, 03:42 PM
S!

Fruitbat, used to have 280GTX before this ATI 5870HD. Not much to complain about nVidia card really, except the noisy cooling fan as the card ran hot and consumed more power. Performance was good, maybe a bit better in IL2 than with current ATI card, but we know the reason for that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Without derailing the thread I can say that either card you get, ATI or nVidia, you will get enough performance to play almost any game with nice settings http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

And now back to testing..

LLv34_Flanker
02-16-2010, 05:40 AM
S!

Checked out latest ATI Catalyst 10.1 drivers, the 2nd hotfix ones dated 2nd of February. Installed them and ran The Black Death as usually.

First settings in CCC and game(conf.ini posted later for that).

CCC Settings

Driver: Catalyst 10.1 Hotfix
AntiAliasing: 2x Box
AA Mode: Performance
Anisotropic filtering: Application Controlled
VSync: Off, unless application specifies
Triple Buffer: Off
Texture filtering: High Quality
Catalyst AI: Off

Game Settings

Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Color depth: 32-bit
Rendering: OpenGL
Landscape: Perfect
DLL Version: 13.03.2008
Game version: 4.09m with UltraPack v2.0m
Enabled mods: ZUTI MDS 1.12, Hakenkruz enabler, Perfect Land textures, Bullet smoketrail

conf.ini

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0

TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=3
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=8
Water=0
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

Benchmark results

Minimum: 23fps
Maximum: 286fps
Average: 92fps

- No console errors at all.
- No graphical artifacts or anomalies at all.
- Blocky text, but clears very fast when track runs a few seconds.

Conclusion

If ATI gets the drivers updated, the game will run at a screaming perfromance. Optimal situation would be that either Maddox Games or Team Daidalos could release a revised DLL package giving better support for today's graphics hardware, namely ATI. nVidia support is already there.

LLv34_Flanker
02-16-2010, 06:11 AM
S!

Ran the Black Death track with Stock 4.09m enabled in JSGME, results below. Settings the same as above.

Benchmark

Minimum: 29fps
Maximum: 273fps
Average: 95fps

So not much difference regarding the framerates. Small difference due the different smoke effects etc. in a modded game dropping the fps slightly in intensive scenes.

LLv34_Flanker
02-16-2010, 12:25 PM
S!

After testing some more..I set on the Vertex Array options in conf.ini and got following results...There is an impact for sure. Hoping ATI will issue this un upcoming drivers.

Black Death track, both VertexArray option enabled

Minimum: 28fps
Maximum: 284fps
Average: 93fps

+ Increase of fps in smoke and flame intense scenes of the track and average boosted a bit.
+ No artifacts or anomalies, either no console errors.
- The "blue hue" is there with these on.

Black Death track, only VertexArrayEXT enabled

Minimum: 24fps
Maximum: 285fps

+ Perfromance still good
+ No "blue hue" noticed nor artifacting, console clean.
- Would perform better with both options on.

So ATI has some homework to do with their drivers. I post the results I got without the vertex arrays enabled below. Figure the rest

Black Death track, no vertex arrays

Minimum: 23fps
Maximum: 286fps

+ No artifacts or errors, no blue hue
- Slightly lesser overall performance in dense places of the track.

If you look at the numbers there is no big difference. The difference was in overall performance of the track playing. With both Vertex Arrays ON, the track ran at a higher consistent FPS than without them in many places so definitely has an impact on performance of IL2. This can explain the difference between nVidia and ATI in IL2 as nVidia can use Vertex Array option without problems thus giving more FPS in certain situations. If ATI and/or MG/TD can fix this issue then there is none or very small difference in performance of either card brand.

Back to testing...

PF_Coastie
02-16-2010, 12:26 PM
That minimum fps jump is really key IMHO.

But hey, Do me a favor and run a test with SSAA rather than MSAA. Also, run a couple to include 2x,4x and max SSAA. Your card is much beefier than my 5770 and mine chokes on anything above 2x SSAA at 1920 res.

Thanks

LLv34_Flanker
02-16-2010, 12:37 PM
S!

Gimme a few minutes and I post the result here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LLv34_Flanker
02-16-2010, 01:00 PM
S!

Results below..

Box 2X, SSAA
Min 23 Max 280 Avg 91 FPS

Box 4X, SSAA
Min 23 Max 235 Avg 87 FPS

Edge-detect 4X, SSAA
Min 23 Max 166 Avg 79 FPS

PF_Coastie
02-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Nice! No drop in min, but a resonable drop in avg. Still very good numbers at those settings with 4x edge detect SSAA. That card has some real muscle!

LLv34_Flanker
02-16-2010, 02:26 PM
S!

It has. And just imagine the power with proper drivers. Potential is far from used yet.

C.te_Cujo
02-17-2010, 06:55 AM
HI All,

ATI CATALYST CREW FORM filled!!!

I've got the ATI 5850,
I've tried the 9.10 atiogl.dll fix, I get rid from the blocky text but I get only 1-5 FPS in

menus and in game... Does anybody know how this thing could happen?

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by C.te_Cujo:
HI All,

I've got the ATI 5850,
I've tried the 9.10 atiogl.dll fix, I get rid from the blocky text but I get only 1-5 FPS in

Look through the various threads in the community help section, answer lies there most likely.

LLv34_Flanker
02-18-2010, 12:41 AM
S!

New Catalyst 10.2 out. They did fix the clouds looking strange in the Black Death track. Perfromance is good as well, no error messages in console either. ´Drivers did not fix blue hue or blocky text.

IL-2 related fixes were not mentioned in release notes nor did expect any this quick. Filed another feedback form with quite a bit of details etc.

Running more tests today again..

PF_Coastie
02-18-2010, 09:47 AM
I got a nice increase in Min and average fps with the 10.2's (after removing my atioglxx.dll file from the root directory). But eh blocky text and blue hue remain.

New Feedback form submitted with full details.

LLv34_Flanker
02-18-2010, 10:49 AM
S!

Tested with new 10.2 a quickie. I had only the Vertex Array EXT on, the other off to get rid of blue hue. Blocky text there.

Box 2X, SSAA
Min 23 Max 288 Avg 93 FPS

No AA, SSAA
Min 26 Max 296 Avg 97 FPS

C.te_Cujo
02-19-2010, 04:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C.te_Cujo:
HI All,

I've got the ATI 5850,

Look through the various threads in the community help section, answer lies there most likely. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've searched everywhere, someone has the exactly same problem but I still haven't found a solution... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

LLv34_Flanker
02-19-2010, 08:05 AM
S!

Cujo, ATI is looking into the issue now so we need to wait a bit http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Until then I recommend using this way to play online: Find the server IP you want to join, launch IL2 and play a track so the blocky text clears. After that go to main menu and Multiplayer, Join Server and type in the IP and play. I do it that way, sure a bit more work but no can do until get new drivers.

PF_Coastie
02-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Well, If he is only getting 1-5fps, I don't think he can even play. LOL!

I think you need to re-install your drivers Cujo. You should start a new thread in the community help forum and explain exactly your problem. Also post your dxdiag and OpenGL section of conf.ini.

LLv34_Flanker
02-19-2010, 12:36 PM
S!

Coastie, tested the new leaked 10.3 drivers on IL2, same settings as before. Blue hue and blocky text there but adding a few more interesting values here. Feel free to let Terry know http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Catalyst AI Standard
Min 21 Max 285 Avg 88 FPS
- Drops the average a bit and minimum

Catalyst AI Advanced
Min 20 Max 284 Avg 86 FPS
- Clear drop of FPS
- Water looks like pixelated squares

The Default test settings
Min 23 Max 293 Avg 95 FPS
- Good performance here
- No glitches

I did some other testing and settings like dither/polygon stipple and palette slightly drop maximum fps but at some places raised the minimum fps.

PF_Coastie
02-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Roger that flanker, thanks!

miatacol
02-20-2010, 05:57 AM
I cannot tell you how happy I am to see this driver leaked because it has BEZEL MANAGEMENT! WooHoo! What a huge difference that has made.

On my system in benchmarks and in all games I see a precise 5% improvement in performance.

With regard to the blocky text, something may be different there also. When I enter the sim all I have to do is start my engine. When I do that, the blocky text disappears. I think it may be related to the sim rendering smoke. As soon as I get smoke from the engine the blocky text goes away and stays away.

One other thing I have noticed, and this may be in the older versions too, is that I HAVE to use Forest=3. I literally see a 50fps bump when looking at the trees when it's set this way!!

One other goofy thing you guys might be able to help with is that some of the trees look almost like slices with big gaps in them? I think they've always been that way for me just wondering if there's a fix for that. I'll post a screenshot a little later since my description sounds a bit vague http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

LLv34_Flanker
02-20-2010, 06:12 AM
S!

Miatacol, thanks for input. The blocky text sure clears after a while after entering the game, but if you try to join an online game via HyperLobby for example, then you can not use the GUI etc.

The forest thing. Additional trees are better done than the forests themselves and they havebeen like that since day one. There will doubtly be any improvement to the forest rendering as it was made back in day to look good from above, but if flying low level you encounter this layered effect aka "invisible forest".

RamsteinUSA
02-20-2010, 09:01 AM
even though it is working, and I don't see a problem.. with Catalyst 10.1 I am uanble to use Perfect setting in game, because in Perfect
quality (which is HardwareShaders=1) my screen is full of BLOCK characters and am unable to see anything else or choose anything..

with Catalyst 10.1 I have to use HardwareShaders=0 setting to able able to play and use IL-2.

with my old Catalyst 9.1 or older I was able to use Perfect setting (HardwareShaders=1) in IL-2.

workky
02-22-2010, 08:04 PM
I have the blocky text as well,i just installed a new hd yesterday,and installed the game,used teh same driver i was using before and couldnt get it to work,had to go with something above 10.1.
I found that if i do a quick mission and crash ,then exit and refly,the blocky stuff goes away

PF_Coastie
02-22-2010, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by workky:
I have the blocky text as well,i just installed a new hd yesterday,and installed the game,used teh same driver i was using before and couldnt get it to work,had to go with something above 10.1.
I found that if i do a quick mission and crash ,then exit and refly,the blocky stuff goes away

Hey man, how ya been dude! I was on WC the other night, must have missed ya.

Yeah, the method you describe is another work around to get rid of the blocky text.

Will try to get on WC more often and hook up with you again!

workky
02-23-2010, 06:44 PM
well,well,well,what do we have here?
Coastie,i have been fine,how have you been?
I placed you on the MIA list,but your still alive so thats good!!!!!

Good to hear from you

LLv34_Flanker
02-24-2010, 02:30 AM
S!

Coastie has been busy with ATI testing and tweaking http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif The newest leaked ATI Catalyst 10.3 give an indication how things will be in future, they sure keep improving performance. Even in IL-2 and when the issues with IL-2 are fixed at some point, it's performance will be at least equal to the "green team" if not above as if we get these results with less than full support how will it be when fixed?

Just ran Black Death with 10.3's, got nice frames: Min 24 Max 296 Avg 97 FPS. So not bad http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

PF_Coastie
02-24-2010, 04:28 AM
Yeah workky, My new rig has breathed a little life into me. I have been messing around with this thing for a month now. But with Olympics on now, I tend to run out of time for this some nights depending on whats on.

I'll be looking for you.

vonOben
02-24-2010, 04:32 AM
Hi

I got a new ATI Radeon HD 5770 recently and have contacted the AMD Support about the IL-2 1946 issues.
In the latest e-mail they wrote:

"Although I am aware that you have provided links to different threads, there have not been any reports by other customer suggesting this is a known issue." http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Perhaps it would be a good idea if more people could report this problem to the AMD Support team?

http://www.amd.com/onlineservicesen/consumer

Cheers

vonOben

x6BL_Brando
02-24-2010, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by vonOben:
Hi

I got a new ATI Radeon HD 5770 recently and have contacted the AMD Support about the IL-2 1946 issues.
In the latest e-mail they wrote:

"Although I am aware that you have provided links to different threads, there have not been any reports by other customer suggesting this is a known issue." http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Perhaps it would be a good idea if more people could report this problem to the AMD Support team?

http://www.amd.com/onlineservicesen/consumer

Cheers

vonOben

One has to wonder what their definition of 'any' is ( re. "any reports by other customer suggesting this is a known issue."?
I personally know of a half-dozen "other customers" including myself who have passed this onto Ati's support team, they are all members of a group I fly with. Not only them, but many other forum-users have passed this info across. If you search back in this thread you will find that Coastie has made contact with a leader of the driver team at Ati, and that the situation is in fact recognized and a fix is being sought. You must have run into one of those stock "nothing to do with us Guv, honest" disclaimers that are popular with retailers fearing a rush of RMAs http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

vonOben
02-25-2010, 04:42 AM
Hi

I have been following the ATI problem threads with great interest so I know about that Coastie is in contact with the driver team. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

That’s why I was quite surprised when the ATI support wrote back that this problem is not a known issue. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

I've asked them why it's not a known issue when several people have contacted their support about it.

I'll report back when they reply. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Cheers

vonOben

Noxx0s
02-25-2010, 06:43 AM
Should I do this even if I don't have this bug? I want to be helpful...

What I do have as bugs is sometimes (not always), my nav lights have a weird white square around them (looks like someone photoshopped it on or something, weird looking).

Also, sometimes, the runway lines (as in the lines painted on the sides) will be weird, coming out of the ground kind of, "detached". (hard to explain, I'll take a SS next time it happens). Not a huge issue, cause it's not like you spend much time on the ground, but still a bit annoying.

FA_Fireskull
02-25-2010, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by LLv34_Flanker:
S!

Coastie has been busy with ATI testing and tweaking http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif The newest leaked ATI Catalyst 10.3 give an indication how things will be in future, they sure keep improving performance. Even in IL-2 and when the issues with IL-2 are fixed at some point, it's performance will be at least equal to the "green team" if not above as if we get these results with less than full support how will it be when fixed?

Just ran Black Death with 10.3's, got nice frames: Min 24 Max 296 Avg 97 FPS. So not bad http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Good day, everyone

Once these issues are resolved, many ATI users will be able to run IL-2 at all maximum graphics settings, excellent performance, high FPS, and no anomalies. However, it is worth remarking that any FPS much above 60 FPS is not necessary in my opinion. The human mind can not discern any difference above 60 FPS, and the GPU can focus more processing on quality instead of more frames per second if frame rate is locked to 60 or not much above that. Vertical Sync should be used to prevent what I am beginning to call FPS Redundancy.

The "green team" will likely be surpassed regarding currently available equipment, though this is not certain because of the nHancer utility which many "green" users have.

Much is going to change in only a few months when both graphics companies release their next products, some of which might be six core graphics and next generation drivers.

Just to give you an idea, I run Black Death with 23 to 60 FPS, almost all settings maximum or above factory parameters, and I see only a couple soft stutters which is barely noticable. This is a "green" 7000 series graphics card and nHancer.

My main point that I wish to make is that ATI has at the moment the superior hardware and the above developments could influence their decision to be more cooperative in driver support. Frankly, I post this in hope that ATI, and also specifically AMD is reading my post: Some positive peer pressure is good for you guys!

Though I am a "green" user, I will submit my request to the ATI fellows about IL-2 support. Surely, they will see the need to give support to the same IL-2 Society which will enjoy Storm of War and demand more from their company. All this is, of course, good for us IL-2 enthusiasts. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Hopefully, everyone reading this understands and appreciates everything that I am writing toward helping ATI users.

LLv34_Flanker
02-25-2010, 10:39 AM
S!

Fireskull, excellent post. Thank you. This is what we need, people and fans of Oleg's work, not fanbois of certain brands out there. We can hope that both of them will support SoW when released and provide all gamers an unique experience http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

FA_Fireskull
02-25-2010, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by IcyScythe:
Should I do this even if I don't have this bug? I want to be helpful...

What I do have as bugs is sometimes (not always), my nav lights have a weird white square around them (looks like someone photoshopped it on or something, weird looking).

Also, sometimes, the runway lines (as in the lines painted on the sides) will be weird, coming out of the ground kind of, "detached". (hard to explain, I'll take a SS next time it happens). Not a huge issue, cause it's not like you spend much time on the ground, but still a bit annoying.

Hello, IcyScythe

Hummm, this sounds definately like some kind of graphics process tiling issue as I have had in the past. After doing a graphics driver update, the blocky and distorted appearances improved for me. All anomalies disappeared once I tweaked the graphics card settings. I found that my laptop in which I have IL-2 won't support higher driver numbers because of laptop support issues.

Conclusion: If you follow the instructions in this topic, then it could not hurt. Be careful to match your drivers to your graphics card.

PF_Coastie
02-25-2010, 01:57 PM
Fireskull,

Thanks for the post and honesty. However, I disagree with not needing more than 60fps. When you are getting a "constant fps" of 60 without ever dipping below that, then yes, I agree 100%.

But, In a game such as IL2 where fluid motion can mean your virtual life or death, you must have a lot of overhead fps. Especially since the lowest fps can often come in the most critical times in THIS GAME. For instance...

I come diving in to a target at near max velocity in a P38 loaded. I fire 2 rockets and the whole place goes KABOOM because it was a fuel dump. My FPS drop to slide show numbers in the teens and I crash into the ground due to the poor high speed elevator response and slow reaction time due to the slide show.

That is why I really try to keep my Min FPS at a high level(mid 20"s). If that means sacrificing some eye candy, so be it, playability in those crucial moments will win out for me.

If you are getting 200fps (without vsynch) but your fps drops to 12 in the intense action, then I believe you have some tweaking to do to get that Min FPS up.

But some people just can't live without their eye candy, and that is fine, as long as they are aware of the possible consequences.
My 2 cents worth!

S!

PF_Coastie
02-25-2010, 02:05 PM
VanOben,

I think the reason you got that response is exactly what Brando said above. AMD/ATI is a huge company and I am sure you were simply getting a response from a person who answers hundreds of these questions a day with canned responses.

Also, IL2 is a 10 year old game and is not even on their list of games on the report form. I am sure that those "listed" games get tracked closely, but IL2, not so much.

But they are looking into it.

Scythe, I agree with Fireskull that there is likely something you need to adjust in the conf.ini to make that problem go away.

I have not run across that one yet.

Perhaps you could post your OpenGL section in a NEW thread in the community help forum and we could do some comparing there.

FA_Fireskull
02-25-2010, 02:39 PM
RE: AKA_Coastie

Thank you for your courteous reply. This shows that you are a true professional.

I feel that this specific conversation is relevant to your topic because the enhancements proposed here will directly effect the IL-2 simulation performance and the flying in it. Please note that I do not desire to spend much more time on it for the sake of clarity in your topic, so this will be my final response about FPS-fair enough?

There could be diffences in how my equipment renders IL-2 from yours. Even when I destroy an entire column with much ordnance, I get a normal shock, both atmosphere and processing. My plane remains in my control. Since what you said is true with your equipment, then we are actually in agreement, my pal. I would stand as you do on the issue if I were in your shoes.

May I recommend seeing if you can use Vertical Sync ON one more time. I use it and my processors ( with CPU prerendered frames )has more processing action to focus on the frames that are rendering instead of creating higher numbers of frames. The frames through my system can handle more data because more time and processing action is freed to be spent on handling a greater data load per frame. This is why my system allows Vertical Sync to produce the best results for me.

I desire that the future driver enhancements of ATI will enable IL-2 lovers who use these to see more processing capacity in each frame. When they see these advances, then explosions and multiple aircraft spawning will have much less effect on each individual frame, as I now experience in my seemingly modest rig.

Lastly, I must say that both ATI and nVidia must invest more in increasing processing efficiency, which they seem to be doing. The results should probably bear fruit with Storm of War, true multicore support, and when drivers gain on flight simulation technology.

This is a fantasic topic!

PF_Coastie
02-25-2010, 04:03 PM
NP man, we can get a little off track here as long as it stays relevant to game play.

You misunderstood me when I said Vsynch off. I only "benchmark" with Vsynch off. I play with it on. It is imperetive that people run the BD benchmark with Vsynch off for comparison to OTHERS. Vsynch on restricts and skews the average too much to get a fair value because of the 60fps limitation. But it is fine being on if you are just tweaking your own rig and using it to compare against different settings on your own rig.

Also, what you say about Vsynch on leaving more processing power because it limits the frames is not really true. When your GPU tries to "synch" it has to take samples many more times to "synch" the frames. It is not really playing "live" with Vsynch on. It is taking the gpu longer to process because it has to take several frames to sample just one frame now.

That was a VERY simplistic explanation man. The truth is it is really "easier" on your gpu without vsynch because it is simply throwing out one frame at a time and does not have to synch it to your monitors refresh rate.

There are some VERY detailed explanations out there that are way over my head. But this is the way I understand it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif (<best emoticon ever because it expresses how I feel when talking about this stuff)

In regards to system shock as you put it. On my old system it was much more pronounced in smaller explosions like a column exploding. But I am really referring to a big time blast including being over a big city like Berlin. I had this exact scenario once, that is why I used it. Over big city, big mongo blast, AAA all over the place and you got yourself some serious reduction in FPS.

Granted, the above doesn't happen very often, but I like to be prepaired for the worst case scenario. Besides, I am an Instructor in the Coast Guard and our moto is Semper Peratus "always ready". We always train for worst case scenario. It is just part of me I guess!

Here is a very good explanation of Vsynch (http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_9.html)

S!
S!

FA_Fireskull
02-25-2010, 04:46 PM
RE: AKA_Coastie

Fair enough. The experiences that you are having are mostly the same as me, yet with a few differences.

The nHancer program which I use enforces up to 8 prerendered frames, multi core support, multi threading utilization, and activation of dynamic tiling. Though I will not explain these things here in exact detail because of these being a whole topic in themselves, I can summerize.

My nHancer causes the CPU to processes as much data as it can of each frame before being sent to the GPU. The multi core is already familiar to many reading this. Added to the previous two, multi threading enforcement caused IL-2 to be processed in 18 to 28 threads in my computer instead of the native 1 thread, or so. Dynamic tiling further increased the efficiency of processing by ordering the threads so they do not interfere with one another and reduces lag, or latency.

These four utilities had to be used together in order to maximize, or nearly so, the processing of data in each frame. The CPU works as a kind of Preparation Cook before the GPU Chef creates the masterpiece. This is prerendered frames. Multi core is like having extra burners on the stove. Multi thread is like having data ingredients brought from storage on organized carts and containers, then placed in good order on tables. Dynamic tiling is like data ingredients stored in organized fashion in the shelves, refrigerator, and freezer. All this organization results in faster speed and better quality per item created by the GPU Chef. This is all figuratively speaking for illustration purposes.

One of my main purposes is to excellerate communication among IL-2 lovers in the areas of optimization among all communities of our IL-2 Society. Another purpose is to apply positive peer pressure on our technical colleagues in the graphics industry which supports our hobby.

As far as this topic is concerned, I am seeking to assist Oleg Maddox and his company in resolving and navigating these issues, while I help IL-2 enthusiasts. This is an expression of my love for people and the simulation.

Oleg, you and your company do fabulous work and service to humanity. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif Please subscribe to this topic! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

thefruitbat
02-25-2010, 04:54 PM
umm with the standard nvidia control panel you can set it to render up to 9 pre rendered frames, don't need nhancer for that...

Multi threading utilization, does nothing for il2, it makes it worse, same for multi core use.

FA_Fireskull
02-25-2010, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by thefruitbat:
umm with the standard nvidia control panel you can set it to render up to 9 pre rendered frames, don't need nhancer for that...

Multi threading utilization, does nothing for il2, it makes it worse, same for multi core use.

Hi,

Respectfully I will write that this could be true for your system.

For my system all these things that I write are true. The confirmation is revealed to me in the Windows Task Manager Resource Monitor that indicates IL-2 being preprocessed in two cores of my CPU with 18 to 28 threads. Process of elimination by deactivating any of the four utilities ( which I introduced in my previous post ),results in immediate decrease in image quality and/or performance.

The nHancer users who are skillful at it agree with me. Have you ever thoroughly used and tested it? Do you really know about it?

Oleg, by the way, you may be able to include special instructions for both ATI and nVidia cards with your simulations. This would help if you cover the basics.

Also, Oleg, perhaps the creator of nHancer would be willing to work with you and your team personally for support of IL-2 and Storm of War in the future. I believe that nHancer is freeware, so may be that you could actually incorporate it natively with the release of Storm of War.

Thanks, AKA_Coastie. This concludes my comments on the performance issues that you requested of me. Your leadership here is much appreciated by all. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

thefruitbat
02-25-2010, 06:46 PM
i said that you can use nvidia control pannel to render up to 9 frames pre rendered and this is true, have you bothered to check that?

also i have done lots of testing for multicore use with il2 with my i7-940 on one core, two cores, three cores, all cores, hyperthreading on/off, threaded optimisation on/off etc... search community help and you will find the results http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

They don't support what you are saying at all.

FA_Fireskull
02-25-2010, 07:52 PM
fruitbat,

Congradulations on your scholarly pursuit of enhancements...

i said that you can use nvidia control pannel to render up to 9 frames pre rendered and this is true, have you bothered to check that?

Respectfully, you are wrong in my case.

My control panel is from a graphics version which is compatible with my laptop computer. The laptop has 2007 - 2008 components. The manufacturer has specified no support for higher graphics drivers. I trust the manufacturer of my laptop and nVidia that warn of no support for higher graphics drivers in my particular model of PC. They further warn that some functions in my computer system may fail with higher graphics drivers in my laptop. This is part of the limitation of some laptops. Desktop PCs probably do not have these issues.

This signifies that I am essentially stuck with my fully updated graphics drivers with no safe upgrade. There is the possiblity of major features in my particular computer to become nonfunctional with attempting to install nonsupported drivers.

My particular version of nVidia Control Panel only allows up to 8 prerendered frames.

This is what I have achieved with nVidia and nHancer: Windows Task Manager Resource Monitor has proven that I have prerendered frames, multi core, multi threading, and dynamic tiling in action. Disabling any of these individual features brings an immediate indication in the monitors. My performance and image quality also decreases upon disabling any of these features.

There are several possibilities as to the reason why you have not been able to use nHancer. Can you think of a few, as I do?

Perhaps you have a driver mismatch with the wrong nHancer version. It may be that you are missing one of a bunch of things that need to be done with nHancer. Perhaps you have a driver in your computer which is not the ideal match for the PC. Another possibility is a corrupt driver. Come to think of it, you could also have a corrupt file in the nHancer-do you know how to test reliably for corrupt files? Maybe you understand everything but are unknowingly making a mistake in some action that you are taking. There are a few other possible reasons why you have yet to succeed with nHancer. Two of those would be too insulting and I wish not to hurt your feelings, though they might be true. Therefore, I shall remain kind, but firm.

also i have done lots of testing for multicore use with il2 with my i7-940 on one core, two cores, three cores, all cores, hyperthreading on/off, threaded optimisation on/off etc... search community help and you will find the results http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

They don't support what you are saying at all.

There have been millions, perhaps billions of critics who were wrong in history.

I have had contact with groups of nHancer users who do see the results that you do not see. I have achieved these enhancements with others. You, fruitbat, will not stop us from sharing the truth.

fruitbat, the universe is almost infinately larger than you and I, combined. In time you will discover a bit more of it. As for me, I will enjoy my optimizations and rejoice in all those of others. Will you?

TheFamilyMan
02-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Sorry you fell for the bait FB. I too saw that trap but steered clear. It's clearly a no-win situation.

FA_Fireskull
02-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by TheFamilyMan:
Sorry you fell for the bait FB. I too saw that trap but steered clear. It's clearly a no-win situation.

Brother, there is no trap from me. AKA_Coastie welcomed more information and explanations from me. This is his topic, not yours or fruitbat's. If you have a problem with his request, then why don't you address him?

I guess fruitbat did not read the previous posts to get a context of it, maybe? He repeated basically the same information in two posts and I gave him a truthful and forgiving response.

AKA_Coastie got the conversation that he approved and I also did the best I could to enlighten fruitbat's understanding. What positive contribution are YOU making, "family man ", my mature pal?

FA_Fireskull
02-25-2010, 09:11 PM
Reply: AKA_Coastie

The Tweak Guides has been visited by me many times, but thanks. The page of the link that you provided has been studied by me a bunch of times in the past, too. Anyone reading this should go to it.

The author stated that there is " no one size fits all " approach to managing Vertical Sync and related issues. So very right he is.

WTE_Ibis
02-26-2010, 01:26 AM
Hi all, where is this vertical sync. I don't seem to be able to find it.
thanks.

thefruitbat
02-26-2010, 03:06 AM
enjoy your plecobo world Fireskull.

you clearly havn't got a clue.

you obviously can't even understand the performance section in windows task manager.

Goodbye.

PF_Coastie
02-26-2010, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by WTE_Ibis:
Hi all, where is this vertical sync. I don't seem to be able to find it.
thanks.

Ibis, It is called "vertical refresh" in the CCC.

LLv34_Flanker
02-26-2010, 07:29 AM
S!

Let's keep the discussion civil guys. Least we need is bickering among ranks of IL-2 fans http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif ATI is working on their drivers to support IL-2 better and that is good news alone. Posting different tweaks and workarounds serves us all, until we get a working driver set from ATI.

FA_Fireskull
02-26-2010, 07:34 AM
Good day,

For everyone's benefit, Windows Task Manager is very useful for revealing processing activity in a person's computer. My Windows OS comes with a Task Manager that shows the number of cores, and the threads active with each program, including IL-2.

Here is how to access it-see for yourself:

1)Use the hotkeys,in my case ctrl + alt + delete to activate Windows Task Manager.

2)Go to the Performance tab. The screen which appears should indicate a graph for each core in your CPU-two cores in my case. If you set the processaffinitymask= in your conf.ini, then you will see a change accordingly in the core monitors. Observe, both before and after settings.

3) A)For viewing the number of threads active for IL-2 processing, go to the button labeled Resource Monitor near the bottom of Performance tab. A screen labelled Resource Overview should appear.

B) Multi Threading can be viewed by clicking on the CPU button of Resource Overview in the Resource Monitor.

Perhaps you will need to use the scroll to find IL-2 in the list, but if you have opened IL-2 then it will appear in the list of programs. Once you find IL-2, you will see the number of threads open to process IL-2 in your situation. The amount of CPU processing capacity being utilized for IL-2 is also indicated.

The nVidia control panel and nHancer, that I use, have enabled me to increase the number of threads from about 1 to and astonishing increase of 18 - 28 threads, depending on settings and demand.

Few outside of serious nHancer users know about this. With complete utilization of nHancer, I increase performance in every category. My FPS went from about 8 - 20, roughly, to about 24 -100 FPS with Verticle Sync OFF, and about 28 - 60 FPS with a rare soft stutter such as spawning planes when I have Vertical Sync ON. This is with near perfect image quality.

Just as you must be an ATI user to know and appreciate it's capabilities, the same is true for nHancer.

FA_Coastie, I really am not an nVidia fanboy. I am an nHancer fanboy. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

Anyway, the often over looked Windows Task Manager powerhouse of information is presented to everybody. IL-2 users can watch the effect of their setting changes in the monitors, graphs, and numbers. Specific IL-2 data is included in the list of running programs.

No data tools is sort of like driving at night with no lights. It can be done, but it is much easier to see where you are going.

Some ATI users thrive with these tools. They are seeing the fruits of their labor. Just about everybody has read about huge improvements being made.

Lastly, isn't the meaning of optimization to get the most in IL-2 image and performance that your computer will allow?

thefruitbat
02-26-2010, 10:12 AM
il2 runs on between 19-21 threads on my system as standard. No need for Nhancer for that, and maxs out at 25% CPU usage, which is 100% of one core, as i have it set to run on one core.

In fact, i can point you to a post made well over a year ago showing that il2 uses around that many threads, depending on the system, nothing new there.

If i set affinity to 15, which is all 4 cores, the cpu use jumps form around 23-25%, as it keeps getting allocated between the 4 cores, and impairs performance, threads remain at 20 normally.

So far you have failed to tell me anything that i didn't know already, and have posted some things that are just inaccurate.

for the doubting thomas,

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/thefruitbat1/ScreenHunter_01Feb261731.jpg

FA_Fireskull
02-26-2010, 10:55 AM
RE: fruitbat

What you are experiencing is the reason why there needs to be a connection among prerendered frames, multi core, multi threading, and dynamic tiling. Used properly together, I see smooth IL-2 flying and acceptable FPS. The number of threads greatly increased in IL-2 for me after using the nHancer. Before using nHancer, I had fundamently the same issue of multi core distribution of processing as you. Much more is needed than only prerendered frames and multi core in order to have stable multi core processing. The nHancer enforces multi threading and dynamic tiling to create big improvement in prerendered processing stability.

ATI users should see these four utilities combined in future graphics devices, both hardware and software. However, I admit that this is not certain because this human-I-can not predict the future. It is clear to those in the know that these issues need to be resolved for true multi core processing stability.

God, I hope the ATI and Oleg teams are going to read this.

thefruitbat
02-26-2010, 11:15 AM
i use 8 frames pre rendered as standard, my bad nvida control pannel only gives you up to 8.

If i turn on threaded optimisation, and set il2 to run on all cores, i show il2 as using up to 40-50% CPU power, the same number of threads, but get no increase in FPS performance, in fact its sligtly worse.

It actually dosen't matter to me, because i have great FPS anyway, and its incredibly smooth as well, maxed out at 1920*1200, you can see my benchmarks and full settings in community help forum benchmark thread.

Oh, and why am i getting 20 threads to your 1 without using nHancer???

WTE_Ibis
02-27-2010, 04:28 AM
QUOTE]Ibis, It is called "vertical refresh" in the CCC.[/QUOTE]

=================================

I don't have it in my ccc
in 3D I have:
Standard
AA
AAMode
AF
AI
Mipmap
All
and that's it, no where can I see vertical refresh.
What am I missing or is it possible my ccc is different?
thanks Coastie.

FA_Fireskull
02-27-2010, 06:15 AM
Good day,

Here is what fruitbat claims that I wrote:

Oh, and why am i getting 20 threads to your 1 without using nHancer???

Here is what I actually wrote:

increase of 18 - 28 threads

thefruitbat
02-27-2010, 07:37 AM

The nVidia control panel and nHancer, that I use, have enabled me to increase the number of threads <span class="ev_code_RED">from about 1 to and astonishing increase of 18 - 28 </span> threads, depending on settings and demand.

oh really http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

That last post confirms everything i thought about you.

Goodbye timewaster.

vonOben
02-27-2010, 07:46 AM
Hi

Here's what AMD Global Customer Care answered when I asked why it's not a known issue when several people have contacted their support about it.

”If end users do not report the problem directly to ATI and simply use the UBIsoft forums there is no way for us to determine if one person is having the issue in his system, or if this is a wide spread issue.

If only one person is reporting this problem directly to support then our job is to thoroughly trouble shoot the issue, before sending the problem to engineering.

Some users may have contacted the driver team directly by using our Catalyst feedback forum.

Our team would not see these reports as this is directed to the driver team.

If someone has reported this directly to the driver team, and advised that this is being fixed then the release notes will indicate the fix within the next few driver releases."

Cheers

vonOben

workky
02-27-2010, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by WTE_Ibis:
QUOTE]Ibis, It is called "vertical refresh" in the CCC.

=================================

I don't have it in my ccc
in 3D I have:
Standard
AA
AAMode
AF
AI
Mipmap
All
and that's it, no where can I see vertical refresh.
What am I missing or is it possible my ccc is different?
thanks Coastie.[/QUOTE]

Its in the "ALL Settings"
I always use the all settings.

FA_Fireskull
02-27-2010, 08:03 AM
RE: fruitbat

I attempted to teach you the " ways of the Force ". LOL

You are smart, so perhaps you will develop in more wisdom, too. I wish you well, my IL-2 friend. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

PF_Coastie
02-27-2010, 08:56 AM
Thanks workky!

Also, you do not even have to open CCC to access your settings. Just go to your system tray, RIGHT click on the ATI icon, mouse over the upper listing of your card, mouse over 3D settings, mouse over Wait for vertical refresh, then chose your desired setting with a "left click".

Hope this helps.

WTE_Ibis
02-27-2010, 07:04 PM
OK thanks Workky and Coastie, I have it now.
I needed to scroll down, Duh!!
cheers gents.
Ibis.

Stingray333
02-28-2010, 01:31 AM
Yo, I stupidly installed catalyst 10.2 and now IL-2 is pretty much unplayable without setting the hardware shaders = 0 in conf.ini

Anyone know where I can download catalyst 9.10? As I don't have the .dlls from that version,

Thanks,

Stingray

LLv34_Flanker
02-28-2010, 02:53 AM
S!

Maybe you coud try here: http://downloads.guru3d.com/Vi...sta---Win-7_c31.html (http://downloads.guru3d.com/Videocards---ATI-Catalyst-Vista---Win-7_c31.html)

Stingray333
02-28-2010, 01:01 PM
S!

Maybe you coud try here: http://downloads.guru3d.com/Vi...sta---Win-7_c31.html (http://downloads.guru3d.com/Videocards---ATI-Catalyst-Vista---Win-7_c31.html)

Thanks for the link, that worked perfectly, IL-2 is playable again!

LLv34_Flanker
03-01-2010, 09:49 AM
S!

You are welcome http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Hopefully Coastie gets info from ATI soon http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Jumoschwanz
03-14-2010, 08:47 PM
The last time I flew online, this odd image kept following my aircraft, moving over the ground like a shadow. I took this screen-shot out the side window of my p40:

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/9181/oddthings.jpg

TheGrunch
03-14-2010, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Jumoschwanz:
The last time I flew online, this odd image kept following my aircraft, moving over the ground like a shadow. I took this screen-shot out the side window of my p40:
You should have taken the blue pill, Jumoschwanz! Seriously, though, that does look distressing. Did you change anything in your conf.ini recently?

julian265
03-15-2010, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by Jumoschwanz:

That's hilarious! (though I'm not amused by the ramifications of this problem for IL2 users).

I had the exact same thing (except it covered the *whole* landscape with my 4870, back when the 8.10, and 9.1 drivers were current. The *only* drivers I could use, and avoid all texture corruption, were 8.9. Each time ATI released a new driver, I tried it, saw corruption, hallucinations, dead people, and shapes, and then returned to 8.9.

FA_Fireskull
03-15-2010, 04:51 PM
The weird billboard behaving like an aircraft shadow reminds me of some of my past experiments when I was a total newbie.

The wrong graphics driver was upgraded into my computer by me. This particular laptop that I have will not support any higher driver, which I did not know at the time.

Anyway, I saw many strange anomalies including the sky turned into a box with bit numbers streaming across the sky. The shadows had weird lettering that was streaming across them. Some of the aircraft parts had bit numbers streaming across them, too!. I thought my computer was going to explode! The core temperature indicated that no critical level was reached, so I just enjoyed the show for a few minutes. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

Immediately after installing the correct driver for my graphics card, the inomalies disappeared.

strider1
03-15-2010, 04:52 PM
~S~, m8's!

Not that relevant to the present discussion but on an ATI 9550 agp, don't remember settings but were low end on 3.06ghz dual xenon DellSorry to spam the post..

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n206/strider_07/crazyland1.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n206/strider_07/Crazyland.jpg

Jumoschwanz
03-15-2010, 08:33 PM
a bunch of miniatures of your map you had up, that is what that is.....

LLv34_Flanker
03-17-2010, 06:32 AM
S!

ATI is releasing 10.3a drivers today, 17th of March. They are non-WHQL but official ones, the WHQL ones will be released on the day of the nVidia Fermi release, 26th of March. These 10.3a's are different from the leaked preview ones dating last month. IL-2 is not mentioned in fix list, but will give these a try anyway.

LLv34_Flanker
03-17-2010, 01:09 PM
S!

Catalyst 10.3a do not fix blocky text in IL-2. Performance of these drivers is good though, even noticed a strange thing when comparing them with and without atioglxx.dll in IL-2 folder. Results below on 1920x1200, Perfect settings.

10.3a with 9.10 dll file in IL-2
Min 22fps Max 304fps Avg 95fps

10.3a without dll file in IL-2
Min 22fps Max 284fps Avg 95fps

So we still have to wait a bit, maybe in 10.4's. And now with these drivers, file the feedback form again..

WTE_Ibis
03-17-2010, 05:57 PM
S!

ATI is releasing 10.3a drivers today, 17th of March. They are non-WHQL but official ones, the in fix list, but will give these a try anyway.
============================================

I can't find them listed on their website Flanker, could you give me a link?
thanks,
Ibis.

It's ok found it thanks.
http://sites.amd.com/us/underg...st-10-3-preview.aspx (http://sites.amd.com/us/underground/tips/Pages/catalyst-10-3-preview.aspx)

RamsteinUSA
03-20-2010, 01:42 PM
according to what I searched out, the next ATI drivers will have a fix for IL-2.

IMHO

PF_Coastie
03-20-2010, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by RamsteinUSA:
according to what I searched out, the next ATI drivers will have a fix for IL-2.

IMHO

Where did you see this Ram. I seriously doubt this. At the earliest 10.4's, but more likely 10.6's.

redarrows2006
03-21-2010, 10:20 AM
That minimum fps jump is really key IMHO.

But hey, Do me a favor and run a test with SSAA rather than MSAA. Also, run a couple to include 2x,4x and max SSAA. Your card is much beefier than my 5770 and mine chokes on anything above 2x SSAA at 1920 res.

Thanks
Hi i also have the HD5770 1GB what shall i do to get this work safe and propobly i have only downloaded ATI Catalyst 10.3 Windows 7 64-bit?

------------------------------------------------

Mysticpuma2003
03-22-2010, 07:55 AM
Any chance of a direct link to the page where we can report our ATI IL2 problems, so that they can see it is an issue affecting the many rather than the few?

Maybe start it as a new thread under:

Report your ATI problems to the driver manufacturers here:

Or something like that, giving the link to contact and post it around a few of the normal sites (1C, SimHQ, AAA, SAS, etc, etc?)

Cheers, MP.

RamsteinUSA
03-22-2010, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Mysticpuma2003:
Any chance of a direct link to the page where we can report our ATI IL2 problems, so that they can see it is an issue affecting the many rather than the few?

Maybe start it as a new thread under:

Report your ATI problems to the driver manufacturers here:

Or something like that, giving the link to contact and post it around a few of the normal sites (1C, SimHQ, AAA, SAS, etc, etc?)

Cheers, MP.

while I believe that there are some people working on getting these issues fixed..

and kudos to them..

if there are 5,000 active il-2 pilots, and 500 switched to Nvidiia, it might light a fire under their arses..

LLv34_Flanker
03-22-2010, 01:56 PM
S!

You should have the ATI Problem Report Wizard in the CCC, top right corner About -> Help. There is a thingy how to. Also at ATI forums there is a sticky thread with link.

I will not switch to nVidia because of just one game, IL-2 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

PF_Coastie
03-22-2010, 02:40 PM
MP,

The Catalyst Feedback Form link is posted in the first post of this thread.

If you are having problems with the 10.3's and you only play this game, just switch back to the 9.10's.

I have heard some have random crashes to desktop when using the ATIoglxx.dll trick in the main IL2 directory. So if this is your primary game and you do not really need newer drivers for another game, then just use the 9.10's and all should be good.

Mysticpuma2003
03-23-2010, 02:58 AM
Sadly, I do have a few other games on the rig, one of which is the new Aliens v Predator. This had a hotfix patch in 10.3 so it worked. Can't go back to the 9's because of this.

I'll log into the first page of the thread and file a report, thanks, MP

Mysticpuma2003
03-23-2010, 03:20 AM
Filled in the form and linked to 1C forum, which contains the link to this forum (a double-whammy!)

Cheers, MP.

LLv34_Flanker
03-23-2010, 03:29 AM
S!

AvP was a minor dissapointment to me after the originals years ago. Graphics in DirectX 11 sure look damned good, but too much console legacy in it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Funnily enough I found that ZUTI MDS, that is coming to 4.10 too, increases my FPS! I think it because of this airbase thing he has included in it. ZUTI said it helped with FPS near airfields etc. So I am a happy camper.

Mysticpuma2003
03-23-2010, 06:13 AM
Don't want to go OT, but yes, AvP was absolute pants. Boring and uninteresting with lack-lustre Multi-play completely unbalanced sides...awful.

AvP 2 (2001 I think) is so-far superior it's embarrassing!

Anyway, roll on 10.4 ATI.....cross-fingers!

One question. Why does ATI only get water=2, yet Nvidia Water=4?

Visually is there a difference between the way the cards show water? Or is ATI 2, equal to Nvidia 4?

Cheers, MP

x6BL_Brando
03-23-2010, 06:57 AM
I have heard some have random crashes to desktop when using the ATIoglxx.dll trick in the main IL2 directory. So if this is your primary game and you do not really need newer drivers for another game, then just use the 9.10's and all should be good.

There's a Catch 22 in this Coastie, regarding the correctly-reported ctd issue. The IL-2 players that I know who use 57xx and 58xx cards are unable to use the 9.10 drivers because they precede the release date of the cards. I.e. the drivers do not detect the newer cards and will not install.
They therefore have to use the atioglxxx.dll trick (which seems to cause the ctd) or be unable to play online via Hyperlobby due to the post-9.10 blocky text problem. One of my mates has given up using OpenGL altogether. His game doesn't ctd any more, but using DirectX is not great visually he says.

I'd be glad to hear if anyone knows a way to get a 57xx card functioning with the 9.10s? I'm just glad I bought my 4890s before this blew up. Another couple of months and I'd have bought a 5xxx card.

B

Edit: PS, I also use the 9.10 atioglxxx.dll in the IL-2 root folder and Catalyst 10.2 drivers with the 4890. No blocky text and no ctd's either with this combination.

miatacol
03-23-2010, 09:05 AM
I'd be glad to hear if anyone knows a way to get a 57xx card functioning with the 9.10s? I'm just glad I bought my 4890s before this blew up. Another couple of months and I'd have bought a 5xxx card.

I have a 5850 card and it runs rock-solid with the 9.10 driver in the root of the IL2 folder. I have not experienced any CTD's ever. Now I run the 10.3 drivers since they have bezel management.

I wonder if the folks who're having CTD problems are using a particular graphics setting that has issues? Maybe water=2 or something along those lines?

redarrows2006
03-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Okay i now get some hang about this driver explaining but where do i paste or install the driver also excuse me for asking this dumb question?

LLv34_Flanker
03-23-2010, 12:50 PM
S!

Redarrows. You take the atioglxx.dll from the Catalyst 9.10 driver package and place it in the IL-2 root, for example D:\UbiSoft\IL-2 Sturmovik\ and you are good to go. By doing this you can use whatever version of drivers for you other games as IL-2 is the only one requiring this workaround or fiddle. I provide a link to the required dll. Use 7Zip to unpack it. Linkie here: http://www.mediafire.com/?anwzyzhwvte

FA_Fireskull
03-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Mysticpuma2003:

Visually is there a difference between the way the cards show water? Or is ATI 2, equal to Nvidia 4?

Cheers, MP

Much of the answer to your questions has to do with the industry relationships that existed several years ago. Basically, Microsoft, AMD, and NVIDIA directly collaborated on several major projects involving graphics technology, one of them being the Direct3D API, a sub-API of DirectX. Microsoft, AMD, and NVIDIA even won several technology awards on a few different occassions for their work at rendering 3D graphics in DirectX.

ATI's water= reflects these proprietary boundaries of that time.

Since AMD aquired ATI, many things are changing. Intel is now working more with NVIDIA as a natural reaction to this. Before AMD aquired ATI there was much mutual collaboration among ATI, Intel, NVIDIA, AMD, and Microsoft. Sure, there were contract proprietary alliances, but much co-operation existed, too.

DirectX is actually more closely related to OpenGL than most IL-2 fans realize. If you look at your confi.ini file, you can see
[GLProvider]
GL=dx8wrap.dll Notice the dx which stands for DirectX

Everyone's current computer can render both OpenGL and DirectX, IL-2 will run both. However, OpenGL was heavily used by ATI as a reaction to the NVIDIA collaborations that I mentioned previously. The bottom line is that this had to do with proprietary work in the 3D motion graphics technologies.

Theoretically, OpenGL can render practically anything that is possible, but ATI was limited in it's published work by the above mentioned alliance. As revealed by me, this has already begun to change.

Previously mentioned is the very major change with ATI being aquired by AMD. Rumours are that Storm of War will not support OpenGL. Can you guess the ultimate reason for this dead end, if this is true? The hints are in the relationships of a few years ago, indicated by me. I suspect that contract collaborations and the proprietary holdings of Microsoft have to do with this. Microsoft is the one common entity in all these actions and reactions. " The 500 pound gorilla in the room."

How this relates to this topic is that we have ATI driver issues that are a result, at least in part, because of these corporate relationships and proprietary holdings. With the release of new graphic cards in a few months and Storm of War, I wonder how these current ATI driver issues will be relevant?

Can anyone answer the question of whether ATI's water=2 is the equivalent of nVidia's water=4?

Urufu_Shinjiro
03-23-2010, 03:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mysticpuma2003:

Cheers, MP

Much of the answer to your questions has to do with the industry relationships that existed several years ago. Basically, Microsoft, AMD, and NVIDIA directly collaborated on several major projects involving graphics technology, one of them being the Direct3D API, a sub-API of DirectX. Microsoft, AMD, and NVIDIA even won several technology awards on a few different occassions for their work at rendering 3D graphics in DirectX.

Since AMD aquired ATI, many things are changing. Intel is now working more with NVIDIA as a natural reaction to this. Before AMD aquired ATI there was much mutual collaboration among ATI, Intel, NVIDIA, AMD, and Microsoft. Sure, there were contract proprietary alliances, but much co-operation existed, too.

DirectX is actually more closely related to OpenGL than most IL-2 fans realize. If you look at your confi.ini file, you can see
[GLProvider]

Everyone's current computer can render both OpenGL and DirectX, IL-2 will run both. However, OpenGL was heavily used by ATI as a reaction to the NVIDIA collaborations that I mentioned previously. The bottom line is that this had to do with proprietary work in the 3D motion graphics technologies.

Theoretically, OpenGL can render practically anything that is possible, but ATI was limited in it's published work by the above mentioned alliance. As revealed by me, this has already begun to change.

Previously mentioned is the very major change with ATI being aquired by AMD. Rumours are that Storm of War will not support OpenGL. Can you guess the ultimate reason for this dead end, if this is true? The hints are in the relationships of a few years ago, indicated by me. I suspect that contract collaborations and the proprietary holdings of Microsoft have to do with this. Microsoft is the one common entity in all these actions and reactions. " The 500 pound gorilla in the room."

How this relates to this topic is that we have ATI driver issues that are a result, at least in part, because of these corporate relationships and proprietary holdings. With the release of new graphic cards in a few months and Storm of War, I wonder how these current ATI driver issues will be relevant?

Can anyone answer the question of whether ATI's water=2 is the equivalent of nVidia's water=4? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think there was an accurate line in that whole post. I don't say that to be offensive, honestly, but the fact remains that that is all wrong.

DirectX has nothing to do with Il2, Il2 was programmed in the OpenGL graphics API, you can set il2 to run in directX, but it runs the openGL code through a DX wrapper (basically it translates the openGL calls into something directx can use, and poorly at that). The reason nvidia can use water=4 is because at the time Il2 was made nvidia was the only one that had support for a particular openGL vertex prefetch call (can't recall which version of OpenGL this was part of, 2.0 maybe), now when ATI made their cards compatible with this version of OpenGL (beginning with the X1800 series IIRC) they left out one OpenGL feature, which was no big deal seeing at there was only one game ever made with this particular openGL prefetch call, problem is that one game was IL2! It has nothing to do with microsoft or intel or AMD or any other company, all those companies you named above are part of the Kronos group, the group that controls the OpenGL API. In one of the patches an improvement was made to the water rendering for both cards and water=2 on ATI is almost equivalent to water=4 on nvidia as far as visuals are concerned.

Now the reasons why SoW will be DirectX (9,10, and 11) are not entirely clear but it doesn't take a genius to see that the market has moved away from OpenGL (for no reason, OpenGL is perfectly capable of doing everything DX11 is) and directX has more support available to a developer.

P.S. Fireskull, if your conf.ini says
[GLProvider]
GL=dx8wrap.dll

then you have il2 set to run in directX, so you do not have access to perfect mode.

FA_Fireskull
03-23-2010, 04:43 PM
Urufu_Shinjiro, thank you for your time and consideration of my post.

I don't think there was an accurate line in that whole post.

This is because of the huge amount-hundreds of hours-of research which I have done about these issues that I covered. You and me obviously have a different viewpoint. I respect your limitations as not being like mine. We are two unique individuals.

I am only trying to enlighten people to the broader picture surrounding the driver issues. Also, I can assure you that all my statements are correct.

I don't say that to be offensive, honestly, but the fact remains that that is all wrong.

All is well-no offense taken. I understand that we both are reasonable persons who have differing perspectives. It is merely disappointing, but not surprising that my statements are taken out context.

DirectX has nothing to do with Il2,

For flying in IL-2, DirectX is relevant for those who have a computer which lacks the power to render OpenGL to their liking. Much of this has to do with the limits of their understanding, however, and it is relevant to them because DirectX might be all that they can use within their limitations.

Il2 was programmed in the OpenGL graphics API, you can set il2 to run in directX, but it runs the openGL code through a DX wrapper (basically it translates the openGL calls into something directx can use, and poorly at that).

We are in agreement with this 100%. The translation occurs at the speed it takes to read lines of command lines, translate using a translation code, and create the new lines. In reality this is almost instantaneous at the speed of the typical Ghz of processing speed, and of course the current DirectX for IL-2 cannot match all the OpenGL features.

Regardless, Microsoft (and affiliates) ongoing development and expansion of the DirectX technology continues to make forceful advance in the global market, as it did when IL-2 was developed. The ATI driver issues and the water=2 are both effected by this overall cause of Microsoft's global campaign with DirectX. It is sort of like how a Tsunamai or hurricane effects everything that is in the path or next to it.

The reason nvidia can use water=4 is because at the time Il2 was made nvidia was the only one that had support for a particular openGL vertex prefetch call (can't recall which version of OpenGL this was part of, 2.0 maybe), now when ATI made their cards compatible with this version of OpenGL (beginning with the X1800 series IIRC) they left out one OpenGL feature, which was no big deal seeing at there was only one game ever made with this particular openGL prefetch call, problem is that one game was IL2! It has nothing to do with microsoft or intel or AMD or any other company, all those companies you named above are part of the Kronos group, the group that controls the OpenGL API.

Ah-In one major aspect, you are incorrect again. Yes, all the companies in our conversation belong to the Kronos (OpenGL support) group. However, I ALREADY stated that the above companies have collaborated on some issues-granted that much of this was indirectly through agreeing to participate with Kronos, the center of standards for OpenGL. Much of the issues (for IL-2 enthusiasts, such as you and me) has been with drivers and confi.ini issues that were created because of corporate relationships and proprietary issues that I revealed earlier. One way or another, every graphic driver characteristic and corresponding command line in IL-2 was established as a consequence of all these corporate and technical relationships, actions, and reactions. Even the marketing decisions are all influenced by the winds of these causes.

Certainly, I shouldn't get too carried away with the philosophy. Briefly, I will say that boundaries of things were much clearer and better defined in the past. With globalization and the increase in the numbers of companies, customers, games, graphic cards, graphic drivers, and computer models, the boundaries are becoming much more blurred by the snow storm of information.

This is the reason why I see that it would be easy and common for anyone to misunderstand me. I know what I know. Others have different amounts and combinations of knowledge and understanding. Inspiring the ability to see the bigger picture while perceiving the relevance to this topic is my goal.

In one of the patches an improvement was made to the water rendering for both cards and water=2 on ATI is almost equivalent to water=4 on nvidia as far as visuals are concerned.

Now the reasons why SoW will be DirectX (9,10, and 11) are not entirely clear but it doesn't take a genius to see that the market has moved away from OpenGL (for no reason, OpenGL is perfectly capable of doing everything DX11 is) and directX has more support available to a developer.

P.S. Fireskull, if your conf.ini says
[GLProvider]
GL=dx8wrap.dll

then you have il2 set to run in directX, so you do not have access to perfect mode.

Incorrect by you: There is always a cause or reason(s) for a shift in the market. Micosoft has developed it and promoted the shift to DirectX, specifically DirectX 11.

The dll of the confi.ini was only an example by me. For the benefit of IL-2 users, I closely examine and compare OpenGL and DirectX issues. Both of these are used by me for these purposes. Yes, I render perfect water and textures in my OpenGL version of IL-2. I keep separate versions of IL-2 for various purposes related to experimenting, comparing, and enjoying.

redarrows2006
03-23-2010, 04:48 PM
S!

Redarrows. You take the atioglxx.dll from the Catalyst 9.10 driver package [/url] Hi LLv _Flanker http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif do you talking about the 7Zip or is it a file within the Catalyst 9.10 package i shall paste in the IL-2 root? Also do i have to have the whole 9.10 package for this to work as it should?
-----------------------------------------------

and place it in the IL-2 root, for example D:\UbiSoft\IL-2 Sturmovik\ and you are good to go. By doing this you can use whatever version of drivers for you other games as IL-2 is the only one requiring this workaround or fiddle. I provide a link to the required dll. Use 7Zip to unpack it. Linkie here: [url=http://www.mediafire.com/?anwzyzhwvte]http://www.mediafire.com/?anwzyzhwvte

Urufu_Shinjiro
03-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Ok, I'll try this again, since you ignored all the facts I posted before and made it seem like I had simply misunderstood you...

Basically, Microsoft, AMD, and NVIDIA directly collaborated on several major projects involving graphics technology, one of them being the Direct3D API, a sub-API of DirectX. Microsoft, AMD, and NVIDIA even won several technology awards on a few different occassions for their work at rendering 3D graphics in DirectX.

OK, accurate, but not related to il2 in any way...

No, it reflects HARDWARE boundaries of that time...

Again, true, but not relevant...

DirectX is actually more closely related to OpenGL than most IL-2 fans realize.

No, DirectX and OpenGL are not very related at all, except they both in the end generate similar graphics rendering effects...

If you look at your confi.ini file, you can see
[GLProvider]

As I said last time, that is the wrapper that translates OpenGL into directX calls for compatibility purposes, that still does not mean they are related as you tried to suggest...

Everyone's current computer can render both OpenGL and DirectX, IL-2 will run both. However, OpenGL was heavily used by ATI as a reaction to the NVIDIA collaborations that I mentioned previously.

This is absolutely absurd, the choice of OpenGL or DirectX is entirely up to the developer, ATI or Nvidia have nothing to do with that, and at the time Il2 came out nvidia was offering WAY more support for OpenGL in their hardware than ATI...

The bottom line is that this had to do with proprietary work in the 3D motion graphics technologies.

No, this has to do with hardware limitations at the time...

Again, ATI was limited by their hardware's ability to perform OpenGL 2.0 functions, not their drivers or access to any particular API information, their Hardware, period...

Neither here nor there in our discussion...

The ATI driver problems are a result of playing a six year old game engine on new technology, are you really trying to suggest that ATI driver issues with ancient OGL games are a result of MS, Nvidia, and Intel's influence?

Can anyone answer the question of whether ATI's water=2 is the equivalent of nVidia's water=4?

I did.

thefruitbat
03-23-2010, 05:41 PM
your wasting your time Urufu, he only reads what he chooses to see before him, not what you write.

FA_Fireskull
03-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Shinjiro, I just have a few points and I'll close this discussion as far as I'm concerned.

Hardware is in fact proprietary, so your assumption is wrong here. The hardware is created in response to what technology is available, what the market demand is, what the competition is doing, and what software can do with it. Microsoft's will and practices dominated all this.

ATI has bad practice of not making drivers fully back-compatible, as is shown with IL-2. We agree here 100%.

Well, I hope the readers can remain objective as I am.

LLv34_Flanker
03-24-2010, 03:20 AM
S!

Redarrows! What you need to do is this, I write an easy to follow procedure http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

1) Install the 10.3's normally to your system as they work with other games than IL-2.

2) Download 7Zip and unzip the atioglxx-file you downloaded. Put this file in root folder of IL-2.

3) Play http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

thefruitbat
03-24-2010, 12:28 PM
S!

Funnily enough I found that ZUTI MDS, that is coming to 4.10 too, increases my FPS! I think it because of this airbase thing he has included in it. ZUTI said it helped with FPS near airfields etc. So I am a happy camper.

If you are running UP2.0 and zutis at the moment, with effects=high, zutis MDS will increase fps, but only because it overides the increased view distance set by effects=high.

RamsteinUSA
03-24-2010, 02:02 PM
ATI Radeon Catalyst 10.3 official are out.. are IL-2 graphics fixed in this release?

http://www.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDHomePage.aspx

thanx..

B16Enk
03-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Yes this block text things sucks big time, I had expected to see this resolved by now.

Mind you I have found one 'cure' that seems to work every time but is somewhat useless in a co-op..

If I crash next time I fly all is well!

PF_Coastie
03-24-2010, 05:29 PM
I told you guys to please be patient. These things take time.

At least it has been confirmed by ATI because it has made the release notes. That is at least something!

gurypuddle
03-24-2010, 08:02 PM
Yes, reading the notes for the 10.3 driver set and seeing the fact that the problem is atleast recognised is a huge step in the right direction. I'm satisfied that it has been considered and am hopeful that the problem will be resolved soon.

GP

Mysticpuma2003
03-25-2010, 04:32 AM
Lets hope that the blue flashing guns are fixed at the same time, the one that is fixed by removing the vertex options http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Like I posted a video of it on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9444QthJHg

MP

Daiichidoku
03-25-2010, 08:28 AM
ive also found the "electric blue" effects go away when you reduce lighting from high to medium in game video settings

i have no idea what drivers im using for my 4890 however

redarrows2006
03-25-2010, 09:57 AM
S!

Redarrows! What you need to do is this, I write an easy to follow procedure http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

1) Install the 10.3's normally to your system as they work with other games than IL-2.

2) Download 7Zip and unzip the atioglxx-file you downloaded. Put this file in root folder of IL-2.

Hi LLv34_Flanker thx mate http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif i am only for the moment playing IL-2 But i like to say somthing to all of you in here that my latest videocard HIS Radeon HD2600XT was better handling grapic(open GL) but i couldn`t play then more then ca30planes befor it went ugly i preformanse in IL-2 Now i have 5770 (directX) and it is somthing with the color on the ocean that is not right when playing in clean 409m better. Shouldn`t i go for the GeForce 260 instead. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

LLv34_Flanker
03-25-2010, 10:59 AM
S!

Redarrows. If you follow the info I posted you should be able to play on OpenGL with Perfect settings http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif The 10.3's work outside IL-2 and this atioglxx.dll you drop to IL2 folder is just for IL-2 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif And you can put UP or any other mod in there without conflict from my experience.

redarrows2006
03-25-2010, 02:10 PM
S!

Redarrows. If you follow the info I posted you should be able to play on OpenGL with Perfect settings http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif The 10.3's work outside IL-2 and this atioglxx.dll you drop to IL2 folder is just for IL-2 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif And you can put UP or any other mod in there without conflict from my experience.

Thank you LLv34_Flanker i appreciate your suport on this to next time. Break a leg not a wing http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Regards
redarrows http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

LLv34_Flanker
03-28-2010, 02:16 AM
S!

Enjoy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Glad I could be of assistance for once http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

FA_Fireskull
03-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Good day, guys

After thinking about these ATI issues for the last month or so, I have some questions that keep coming to my mind.

1) Is Conformant Texture Clamp available with ATI cards ( I am an NVIDIA user )? If this is the case, does changing your Conformant Texture Clamp setting ( ON or OFF ) make any difference at all with these anomalies?

2) Please answer the same questions for the use of Error Reporting and Extension Limit, which are two options which can be set to ON or OFF.

The answers to these three graphics card control panel settings might bring new light to these anomalies issues.

By the way, MysticPuma: I really enjoy your work and loved the Kamikazee style movie of yours-it was very realistic!

Thank you for your patience with me, everybody.

Messer262
03-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Hey Flanker.
I read your suggestion of placing the ati.dll into Il2 root folder, and downloaded it from the link you posted a few posts back.

However, I cannot play it. The loading screen will be white (while the percentage will still be displayed) so no background splash image, and once in the main menu, the mouse will move with 1 FPS.

Using History Mod and Zuti 1.12

orville07
03-29-2010, 12:32 AM
S!

Hi Flanker. I tried your fix using the 10.2 drivers, the text problem is fixed (thanks) but pretty useless since I still get this

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx259/CaptainKubla/il2fb2010-03-2619-01-42-66.jpg

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx259/CaptainKubla/il2fb2010-03-2619-01-36-27.jpg

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx259/CaptainKubla/il2fb2010-02-2300-48-18-17.jpg

(note: It was happening before I applied text fix too)

I have tried everything and its doing my head in! Using 4.08, I have tried all compatibility modes using Windows7, administrator etc....still no joy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif.

Here is my confi if it helps: The problem occurs only when using OpenGL/Perfect mode.

[il2]
title=Il2-Sturmovik Forgotten Battles
hotkeys=HotKey game

[window]
width=1920
height=1200
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=1
Use3Renders=0

[GLPROVIDER]
GL=Opengl32.dll

[GLPROVIDERS]
Open GL=Opengl32.dll
DirectX=dx8wrap.dll

[NET]
speed=25000
routeChannels=0
serverChannels=31
localPort=21000
remotePort=21000
SkinDownload=1
serverName=No Name
serverDescription=
remoteHost=
localHost=
socksHost=
checkServerTimeSpeed=1
checkClientTimeSpeed=0

[MaxLag]
farMaxLagTime=10.0
nearMaxLagTime=2.0
cheaterWarningDelay=5.0
cheaterWarningNum=-1

[chat]
region=(dx=0.6925,dy=0.071666665,x=0.0,y=0.0)

[game]
Arcade=0
HighGore=0
mapPadX=0.6689453
mapPadY=-0.046875
viewSet=32
Intro=1
NoSubTitles=0
NoChatter=0
NoHudLog=0
NoLensFlare=0
iconTypes=3
eventlog=eventlog.lst
eventlogkeep=0
3dgunners=1

[HotKey game]
PrintScreen=ScreenShot
P=pause
Pause=pause

[HotKey gui]
Escape=activate

[HookViewFly Config]
timeFirstStep=2.0
deltaZ=10.0

[HookView]
MouseLeft=Len

[HookView Config]
AzimutSpeed=0.1
TangageSpeed=0.1
LenSpeed=1.0
MinLen=1.0
DefaultLen=20.0
MaxLen=3000.0
Speed=6

[HotKey builder]
MouseLeft=objectMove
MouseRight=popupmenu
Enter=freeView
Shift MouseLeft=worldZoom
Alt MouseLeft=select+
Alt MouseRight=select-
Alt Ctrl=unselect
PageDown=change+
PageUp=change-
End=change++
Home=change--
Ctrl MouseLeft=insert+
Insert=insert+
NumPad-0=insert+
F=fill
Ctrl MouseRight=delete+
NumPad.=delete+
Delete=delete+
Backspace=cursor
Tab=cursor
F10=land
F11=onLand
NumPad-=normalLand
NumPad+=toLand
NumPad-5=resetAngles
NumPad-8=resetTangage90
NumPad-7=stepAzimut-5
NumPad-4=stepAzimut-15
NumPad-1=stepAzimut-30
NumPad-9=stepAzimut5
NumPad-6=stepAzimut15
NumPad-3=stepAzimut30

[MouseXYZ]
F1=SpeedSlow
F2=SpeedNormal
F3=SpeedFast
MouseRight=XYmove
F4 MouseRight=Zmove
MouseMiddle=Amove
F5 MouseRight=Amove
F6 MouseRight=Tmove
F7 MouseRight=Kmove

[MouseXYZ Config]
RealTime=1

[HotKey Console]
Shift Tab=Activate
[Console]
HISTORY=1024
HISTORYCMD=1024
LOAD=console.cmd
SAVE=console.cmd
LOG=0
LOGTIME=0
LOGFILE=log.lst
LOGKEEP=0

[sound]
SoundUse=1
SoundEngine=1
Speakers=0
Placement=0
SoundFlags.reversestereo=0
RadioFlags.Enabled=1
RadioEngine=2
MusicVolume=8
ObjectVolume=14
MusState.takeoff=1
MusState.inflight=1
MusState.crash=1
MusFlags.play=1
MasterVolume=14
Attenuation=7
SoundMode=3
SamplingRate=2
NumChannels=3
SoundExt.occlusions=0
SoundFlags.hardware=1
SoundFlags.streams=1
SoundFlags.duplex=1
SoundExt.acoustics=0
SoundExt.volumefx=0
SoundFlags.voicemgr=0
SoundFlags.static=1
VoiceVolume=12
Channels=2
SoundExt.extrender=0
SoundFlags.bugscorrect=0
SoundSetupId=8
ActivationLevel=0.02
Preemphasis=0.85
RadioLatency=0.5
AGC=1
PTTMode=1
SoundFlags.UseRadioChatter=0
SoundFlags.AutoActivation=0
RadioFlags.PTTMode=0
RadioFlags.PlayClicks=0
ActLevel=0
MicLevel=0
SoundFlags.forceEAX1=0

[rts]
;ProcessAffinityMask=1
mouseUse=2
joyUse=1
trackIRUse=1
DisableIME=0
locale=

[rts_mouse]
SensitivityX=1.0
SensitivityY=1.0
Invert=0
SensitivityZ=1.0

[rts_joystick]
X=0 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100 0
Y=0 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100 0
Z=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100
RZ=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
FF=1
U=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
V=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
1X=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
1Y=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
1RX=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1RY=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1RZ=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1U=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1V=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1X1=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1Y1=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1Z1=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1RX1=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1X2=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1Y2=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1RZ2=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0

[Render_DirectX]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=2
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.DrawLandByTriangles=1
TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=1
TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=1
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=0
TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineDot3=0
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0
TexFlags.SeparateSpecular=0

HardwareShaders=0

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=2
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=4
ForceShaders1x=0
PolygonOffsetFactor=-0.15
PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=2
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineExt=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0

TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=10
Water=2
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetUnits=-1.0

I have tried 9.10 drivers (and did the usual DriverSweeper thing etc) and still the same. *Sigh* I have not played IL-2 for about a year and a half, getting nostalgic for it and I miss it lol.

Using an HD Radeon 4870X2 (Catalyst AI disabled).

If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks Kindly.

Mysticpuma2003
03-29-2010, 01:17 AM
I wish I could be of assistance, but the reason I am posting is you have captured exactly the issue that seems to affect my card too when I fly online (using OpenGl).

There I am, flying along, with the clouds flickering White to Black, then what you show in your screenshots happens (at a random time to suit the glitch!) and I CTD.

Only seems to happen on Snow maps though, but thanks for capturing these shots as, when I CTD, I miss grabbing the image!

Hopefully it's fixable, but at the moment I fly Direct X to stop the crashes online (offline no problems).

Cheers, MP.

LLv34_Flanker
03-29-2010, 08:53 AM
S!

At a glance I can see you are missing one option under [Render_OpenGL] that causes this. Change the following line: TexFlags.TexEnvCombineExt=0 to 1 and the black scenery is gone. Those 3 choices there, one above and below this choice are imperative to be kept at 1.

Also you can try to set the following lines to 1 as well:

TexMipFilter=2 to 3 (enables Anisotropic Filtering]
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineDot3=0 to 1
TexFlags.SeparateSpecular=0 to 1

Otherwise your setups looks OK. I hope this helped.

orville07
03-30-2010, 06:50 PM
~S~ Thank you very much for trying to help Flanker, I did as you directed but unfortunately though it fixed the blackness problem in OpenGL mode, even more graphical craziness ensued (weird mutating/moving tiles on the landscape, crazy artefacts and pretty much unplayable).

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx259/CaptainKubla/il2fb2010-03-2917-14-16-08.jpg

The trouble is, I play Rise of Flight too and it works very well with the 10.2's.

I wonder if there are any other ROF players on ATI who know of the best driver for both at present? I will try the 9.10's again with the changes you recommended which may yield a better result (I did not do this first time around).

Think I may just have to live with DirectX for now....Not the end of the world I suppose. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks kindly Flanker http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

EDIT: Will try your fixes with 10.3 as you are using and report back.

S!

LLv34_Flanker
03-31-2010, 12:04 AM
S!

Orville. This anomaly you have is due the DLL-files that are in IL-2. Called il2_core.dll and il2_core4.dll. Best ones for me are the ones dated 13.3.2008, but you get rid of those artifacts also by enabling Catalyst AI at Standard setting. Linky to the IL2 dll-files below, just make a backup of your existing ones and drop the new ones in IL-2 folder http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Linky: http://www.mediafire.com/?nmtmmjxnymz

orville07
03-31-2010, 10:27 AM
Fixed, Flanker! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif It took a combination of the 9.10 atioglxx.dll, the TexFlags.TexEnvCombineExt=1 line change and setting Catalyst AI to standard.

Its strange because the Catalyst AI change is the last thing that would have occurred to me. I have had nothing but trouble in the past with it and always had to disable it to avoid graphical corruption! Long while ago though, and different drivers obviously.

Flanker, yer a Star mate and once again thanks for the help. Couldn't have done it without ya!

S!

RCAF_FB_Orville http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LLv34_Flanker
03-31-2010, 12:56 PM
S!

You are welcome. Good to see another happy IL-2 pilot http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Messer262
04-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Hi Flanker, was wondering if you could help me with my problem.

Btw, I just played a recorded track, and then when I connected directly to a server I no longer had the blocky text and was perfectly playable.

This was in OpenGL with 10.1 Catalyst, with no atioglxx.dll in the folder.

LLv34_Flanker
04-03-2010, 06:11 AM
S!

Messer, you did not have the blocky text after the track because it clears after a bit when playing a track for example. The workaround you did works just fine if not using atioglxx.dll in IL-2 folder.

WholeHawg
04-05-2010, 10:02 AM
I too noticed that it seems to clear up after a bit. I was watching the P-40 V 109 track and it almost always clears up after about 1 minute.

After that it will stay fixed in any track, FMB, QMB, or campaign. But will start up again if I restart the program.

Also it seems to be tied to my firing my guns. I went directly into a QMB fight after starting a game and had blocky text for several minutes until I fired my guns for the first time. I got that odd flashing of the instrument panel while firing and after I released the trigger the blocky text went away and everything ran smooth and normal.

LLv34_Flanker
04-29-2010, 03:49 AM
S!

A small tidbit picked from 1C forums from ATI thread http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif To get Vertex Arrays working without the annoying "blue hue" do the following: disable Dynamical Lights in conf.ini under OpenGL. Set from 1 to 0 and save. Does the trick.

ggb123
05-09-2010, 11:04 PM
Hi everyone

the blocky text problem can be cleared once the bullet hits the ground. but you must viewing it hits the ground so can the occurrence. could it be the z buffer or memory clearing problem? I suspect once after a flash it all become normal.

I runs 2 x HD4770 cat 10.4, both VertexArrays on, with no blue hue problem at all.

I hope crossfire somedays could work on openGL and windowed model (just wondering WHY NOT!? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif)

[il2]
hotkeys=HotKey game

[window]
width=1920
height=1080
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=1
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=0
Use3Renders=0

[GLPROVIDER]
GL=Opengl32.dll

[GLPROVIDERS]
Open GL=Opengl32.dll
DirectX=dx8wrap.dll

[NET]
speed=100000
routeChannels=0
serverChannels=31
localPort=21000
remotePort=21000
SkinDownload=1
serverName=No Name
serverDescription=
remoteHost=
localHost=
socksHost=
checkServerTimeSpeed=1
checkClientTimeSpeed=0

[MaxLag]
farMaxLagTime=10.0
nearMaxLagTime=2.0
cheaterWarningDelay=5.0
cheaterWarningNum=-1

[chat]

[game]
Arcade=0
HighGore=0
mapPadX=0.31944445
mapPadY=-0.23148148
viewSet=35
Intro=0
NoSubTitles=0
NoChatter=0
NoHudLog=0
NoLensFlare=0
iconTypes=3
eventlog=eventlog.lst
eventlogkeep=0
3dgunners=1

[HotKey game]
PrintScreen=ScreenShot
P=pause
Pause=pause

[HotKey gui]
Escape=activate

[HookViewFly Config]
timeFirstStep=2.0
deltaZ=10.0

[HookView]
MouseLeft=Len

[HookView Config]
AzimutSpeed=0.1
TangageSpeed=0.1
LenSpeed=1.0
MinLen=1.0
DefaultLen=20.0
MaxLen=3000.0
Speed=6

[HotKey builder]
MouseLeft=objectMove
MouseRight=popupmenu
Enter=freeView
Alt MouseLeft=select+
Alt MouseRight=select-
Alt Ctrl=unselect
PageDown=change+
PageUp=change-
End=change++
Home=change--
Ctrl MouseLeft=insert+
Insert=insert+
NumPad-0=insert+
F=fill
Ctrl MouseRight=delete+
NumPad.=delete+
Delete=delete+
Backspace=cursor
Tab=cursor
F10=land
F11=onLand
NumPad-=normalLand
NumPad+=toLand
NumPad-5=resetAngles
NumPad-8=resetTangage90
NumPad-7=stepAzimut-5
NumPad-4=stepAzimut-15
NumPad-1=stepAzimut-30
NumPad-9=stepAzimut5
NumPad-6=stepAzimut15
NumPad-3=stepAzimut30

[MouseXYZ]
F1=SpeedSlow
F2=SpeedNormal
F3=SpeedFast
MouseRight=XYmove
F4 MouseRight=Zmove
MouseMiddle=Amove
F5 MouseRight=Amove
F6 MouseRight=Tmove
F7 MouseRight=Kmove

[MouseXYZ Config]
RealTime=1

[HotKey Console]
Shift Tab=Activate
[Console]
HISTORY=1024
HISTORYCMD=1024
LOAD=console.cmd
SAVE=console.cmd
LOG=0
LOGTIME=0
LOGFILE=log.lst
LOGKEEP=0

[sound]
SoundUse=1
SoundEngine=1
Speakers=0
Placement=0
RadioFlags.Enabled=1
RadioEngine=2
MusicVolume=0
ObjectVolume=14
MusState.takeoff=1
MusState.inflight=1
MusState.crash=1
MusFlags.play=0
MasterVolume=14
Attenuation=7
SoundMode=3
SamplingRate=2
NumChannels=2
SoundExt.occlusions=0
SoundFlags.hardware=1
SoundFlags.streams=1
SoundFlags.duplex=1
SoundExt.acoustics=0
SoundExt.volumefx=0
SoundFlags.voicemgr=0
SoundFlags.static=1
VoiceVolume=12
Channels=2
SoundExt.extrender=0
SoundFlags.bugscorrect=0
SoundSetupId=8
ActivationLevel=0.02
Preemphasis=0.85
RadioLatency=0.5
AGC=1
PTTMode=1
RadioFlags.PTTMode=0
RadioFlags.PlayClicks=0
ActLevel=0
MicLevel=0
SoundFlags.forceEAX1=0

[rts]
;ProcessAffinityMask=1
mouseUse=2
joyUse=1
trackIRUse=1
DisableIME=0
locale=

[rts_mouse]
SensitivityX=1.0
SensitivityY=1.0
Invert=0
SensitivityZ=1.0

[rts_joystick]
FF=1

[Render_DirectX]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=2
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0

HardwareShaders=0

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=2
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=2
ForceShaders1x=0
PolygonOffsetUnits=-1.0
Water=1
Effects=1

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0

TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=3
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=3
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=17
Water=2
Effects=2
ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.00

rfxcasey
05-12-2010, 07:26 AM
I haven't had time to read the entire thread but I also have the blocky load text. It seems to go away after a while. I've also had the blue hue muzzle flash reflection as well as in certain areas the ground textures seem to get huge and float in the sky as well as funny purple and aqua colored artifacts when firing bullets. The 2 ladder problems happen very quickly and not very often but I haven't played long enough lately to see if the new ATI drivers have helped though I doubt it. Can anyone concur with these issues or know of a fix. My config file is pretty much perfect as per the ATI defacto standard.

Urufu_Shinjiro
05-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by rfxcasey:
I haven't had time to read the entire thread

There's your problem, both answers are in this thread.

C.te_Cujo
05-14-2010, 03:28 AM
Hi everyone,

I still experience the blocky text problem using the ati catalyst 10.4 drivers even if they ensure it was solved!

The workaround of an earlier atioglxx.dll in IL-2 folder doesn't work for me: white start screen and 1-5 fps in menů and in game.

My only choice is the "play track" workaround and direct ip instead of Hyperlobby!!!

Am I the only one?

My video card is an ATI 5870.

Thanks.

Falcke
05-14-2010, 07:42 AM
Also have issues since switching to HD5850. Mine are that the game locks up when I enter cockpit view? Plays perfectly fine from externals, but seizes in cockpit until I press F2 or F3 again.

Anybody had this?

C.te_Cujo
05-18-2010, 05:01 AM
Is there anybody that can assure that the ATI Catalyst Vers. 10.4 have solved the blocky text issue?

I'm desperate http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

rfxcasey
05-18-2010, 06:39 AM
I have an Asus ATI 4830 and I am using 10.4. I can attest to the fact that the blocky text issue is not resolved. This is getting to be ridiculous. The funny thing is I know a guy with a Sapphire 4830 and he is not having the problem though he is on Windows 7 whereas I am on XP SP3. I have tried changing many settings to no avail. I really don't want to take a step back in driver revisions. WE NEED TO ALL CONTACT ATI TO HELP GET THIS FIXES. Let's just bug the hell out of them till they put someone on it.

WTE_Ibis
05-18-2010, 06:45 AM
unless these problems are sorted soon I will never touch another ATI product, Bloody pos.

rfxcasey
05-18-2010, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by orville07:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LLv34_Flanker:
S!

Hi Flanker. I tried your fix using the 10.2 drivers, the text problem is fixed (thanks) but pretty useless since I still get this

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx259/CaptainKubla/il2fb2010-03-2619-01-42-66.jpg

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx259/CaptainKubla/il2fb2010-03-2619-01-36-27.jpg

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx259/CaptainKubla/il2fb2010-02-2300-48-18-17.jpg

(note: It was happening before I applied text fix too)

I have tried everything and its doing my head in! Using 4.08, I have tried all compatibility modes using Windows7, administrator etc....still no joy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif.

Here is my confi if it helps: The problem occurs only when using OpenGL/Perfect mode.

[il2]
hotkeys=HotKey game

[window]
width=1920
height=1200
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=1
Use3Renders=0

[GLPROVIDER]
GL=Opengl32.dll

[GLPROVIDERS]
Open GL=Opengl32.dll
DirectX=dx8wrap.dll

[NET]
speed=25000
routeChannels=0
serverChannels=31
localPort=21000
remotePort=21000
SkinDownload=1
serverName=No Name
serverDescription=
remoteHost=
localHost=
socksHost=
checkServerTimeSpeed=1
checkClientTimeSpeed=0

[MaxLag]
farMaxLagTime=10.0
nearMaxLagTime=2.0
cheaterWarningDelay=5.0
cheaterWarningNum=-1

[chat]

[game]
Arcade=0
HighGore=0
mapPadX=0.6689453
mapPadY=-0.046875
viewSet=32
Intro=1
NoSubTitles=0
NoChatter=0
NoHudLog=0
NoLensFlare=0
iconTypes=3
eventlog=eventlog.lst
eventlogkeep=0
3dgunners=1

[HotKey game]
PrintScreen=ScreenShot
P=pause
Pause=pause

[HotKey gui]
Escape=activate

[HookViewFly Config]
timeFirstStep=2.0
deltaZ=10.0

[HookView]
MouseLeft=Len

[HookView Config]
AzimutSpeed=0.1
TangageSpeed=0.1
LenSpeed=1.0
MinLen=1.0
DefaultLen=20.0
MaxLen=3000.0
Speed=6

[HotKey builder]
MouseLeft=objectMove
MouseRight=popupmenu
Enter=freeView
Alt MouseLeft=select+
Alt MouseRight=select-
Alt Ctrl=unselect
PageDown=change+
PageUp=change-
End=change++
Home=change--
Ctrl MouseLeft=insert+
Insert=insert+
NumPad-0=insert+
F=fill
Ctrl MouseRight=delete+
NumPad.=delete+
Delete=delete+
Backspace=cursor
Tab=cursor
F10=land
F11=onLand
NumPad-=normalLand
NumPad+=toLand
NumPad-5=resetAngles
NumPad-8=resetTangage90
NumPad-7=stepAzimut-5
NumPad-4=stepAzimut-15
NumPad-1=stepAzimut-30
NumPad-9=stepAzimut5
NumPad-6=stepAzimut15
NumPad-3=stepAzimut30

[MouseXYZ]
F1=SpeedSlow
F2=SpeedNormal
F3=SpeedFast
MouseRight=XYmove
F4 MouseRight=Zmove
MouseMiddle=Amove
F5 MouseRight=Amove
F6 MouseRight=Tmove
F7 MouseRight=Kmove

[MouseXYZ Config]
RealTime=1

[HotKey Console]
Shift Tab=Activate
[Console]
HISTORY=1024
HISTORYCMD=1024
LOAD=console.cmd
SAVE=console.cmd
LOG=0
LOGTIME=0
LOGFILE=log.lst
LOGKEEP=0

[sound]
SoundUse=1
SoundEngine=1
Speakers=0
Placement=0
RadioFlags.Enabled=1
RadioEngine=2
MusicVolume=8
ObjectVolume=14
MusState.takeoff=1
MusState.inflight=1
MusState.crash=1
MusFlags.play=1
MasterVolume=14
Attenuation=7
SoundMode=3
SamplingRate=2
NumChannels=3
SoundExt.occlusions=0
SoundFlags.hardware=1
SoundFlags.streams=1
SoundFlags.duplex=1
SoundExt.acoustics=0
SoundExt.volumefx=0
SoundFlags.voicemgr=0
SoundFlags.static=1
VoiceVolume=12
Channels=2
SoundExt.extrender=0
SoundFlags.bugscorrect=0
SoundSetupId=8
ActivationLevel=0.02
Preemphasis=0.85
RadioLatency=0.5
AGC=1
PTTMode=1
RadioFlags.PTTMode=0
RadioFlags.PlayClicks=0
ActLevel=0
MicLevel=0
SoundFlags.forceEAX1=0

[rts]
;ProcessAffinityMask=1
mouseUse=2
joyUse=1
trackIRUse=1
DisableIME=0
locale=

[rts_mouse]
SensitivityX=1.0
SensitivityY=1.0
Invert=0
SensitivityZ=1.0

[rts_joystick]
FF=1
1RX=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1RY=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1X1=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1Y1=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1Z1=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1RX1=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1X2=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1Y2=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1RZ2=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0

[Render_DirectX]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=2
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0

HardwareShaders=0

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=2
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=4
ForceShaders1x=0
PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=2
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineExt=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0

TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=10
Water=2
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetUnits=-1.0

I have tried 9.10 drivers (and did the usual DriverSweeper thing etc) and still the same. *Sigh* I have not played IL-2 for about a year and a half, getting nostalgic for it and I miss it lol.

Using an HD Radeon 4870X2 (Catalyst AI disabled).

If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks Kindly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad to see you got your problem fixed. Is the blocky text gone for you now as well? Also drawlandbytriangles is set to 1. I always set mine to 0. Does anyone know exactly what the difference is?

And for anyone who missed it http://mission4today.com/index...Knowledge_Base&cat=7 (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&cat=7)

ggb123
05-19-2010, 04:20 AM
neither drawlandbytriangles=1 or 0 fixs blocky text problem for me. no difference it made, it seems to me. but... my background is alright.

rfxcasey
05-19-2010, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by ggb123:
neither drawlandbytriangles=1 or 0 fixs blocky text problem for me. no difference it made, it seems to me. but... my background is alright.

Oh, sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I wasn't suggesting that drawlandbytriangles would make the blocky text go away I was simply saying you had it on where I believe this feature is only for older card and you don't need it enabled for what you are using.

Secondly, and you have already answered my question I was just wondering if you still had the text issue, which you apparently do.

Ho hum, I really wish we all could get a fix for this already.

rfxcasey
05-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Can someone at least tell me this. If this is a driver issue which it most definitely seems like, what is the best ATI driver to roll back to so I can be rid of this problem?

LLv34_Flanker
05-19-2010, 12:58 PM
S!

Catalyst 9.10 or 8.9 seems to work for most people.

rfxcasey
05-19-2010, 05:22 PM
S!

Catalyst 9.10 or 8.9 seems to work for most people.

You are a genitalmen and a scholar.

Treetop64
05-19-2010, 08:07 PM
A "Genitalman"? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

rfxcasey
05-20-2010, 06:50 AM
Ok so to update, for anyone interested, I installed driver version 9.10 which fixed the blocky text issue but gave me the problem of streaming video freezing when fullscreen which I had also experienced a while back when this was the latest and greatest driver.

I did not try 9.11 but I did try 9.12 in which the blocky text re-appeared.

I have now gone to version 9.8 which solves the blocky text issue with no ill side effects to video playback, however I do have the occasional ground texture artifacts come back to haunt me once in a while. I am assuming the tracer bullet artifacts will be present also.

I know some have said to disable or de-tune catalyst A.I. but this has never fixed the artifacts for me. The only thing that did fix those was using a newer driver though now inducing the intolerable blocky text.

I may try to revert back to an even earlier driver but with 9.8 I am fairly satisfied with the results overall so can't complain too much save for the fact that ATI kinda needs to get it's crap together on this.

One thing I did notice was that most of the newer drivers add very little in the was of improvements on cards such as the 4830 with most of the focus being on Crossfire and newly release card fixes. Still, there are the few XP fixes that are nice but some of the issues that newer drivers resolve for me are not even mentioned in their release notes which doesn't instill me with a whole lot of confidence in ATI actually identifying and fixing certain issue. It's more like there are bugs that mysteriously get fixed in a very hit or miss fashion possibly as a side effect of some fix intended for a newer series of card.

Not that I could make anything better but my overall perception of ATIs drivers, while it's nice to see they are released more frequently these days, are buggy, buggy, buggy.

Treetop64
05-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Quick fix for the blocks:

After IL-2 boots, play the F4F vs. G4M track before you do anything else. The instant the video starts the blocks disappear, 100% of the time. You must do this every time you start IL-2.

rfxcasey
05-20-2010, 12:40 PM
I have my intro movie disabled. I wonder if enabling it would eliminate the blocky text, though I am sure some with the problem must have it enabled.

My problem was trying to play online, when the server would start I couldn't see anything to pick a plane or anything and being as hyperlobby starts the game for you you can't start single player first and then run a track.

I'm good now though with reverting drivers, I will just have to wait till ATI comes up with something that works better.

PF_Coastie
05-20-2010, 12:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErvgV4P6Fzc

rfxcasey
05-20-2010, 01:32 PM

You're stupid. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

PF_Coastie
05-20-2010, 02:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PF_Coastie:

You're stupid. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's nice! You've got class....

Urufu_Shinjiro
05-20-2010, 04:30 PM

You're stupid. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope that was misguided attempt at humor...

BM357_Sniper
05-20-2010, 06:15 PM
I could use some advice from you guys. I'm deployed to the middle east. In about 5 months I'm going to buy a new computer. It will be at least a quadcore and I was considering a ATI HD 5770 because it was affordable and supported DX11. After reading this thread it seems I may be better served with two 9800 GT's or a 260 GTX. I'd like to know what you guys think. Should I have faith that this bug will be fixed in five months? Will the 5770 more than suffice?

PF_Coastie
05-20-2010, 08:01 PM
This problem WILL be fixed....soon. (crosses fingers, toes, arms and legs)

In 5 months the 58xx series will be the better choice because the prices will have fallen to at or below what the 5770 is now. So hold off for a couple months before making a final decision.

LLv34_Flanker
05-21-2010, 04:09 AM
S!

+1 to what Coastie said http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif And ATI will refresh their card lineup this year so will be interesting times indeed. I would go for a 5850 or even 5870 as the prices will drop. And even better if the new cards are out by then.

As of nVidia cards. Until they release a midrange card with reasonable price ATI is the king of the hill when speaking of performance for the money invested. Not to mention less use of power, more silent etc. But again a matter of preference.

I would say that you should evaluate in 5 months what kind of games you will play and then check the sum you want to invest and then compare cards within that budget line. Same applies with CPU's, what is available then as the lineups seem to change quite a bit.

BM357_Sniper
05-21-2010, 06:59 AM
Good advice guys, thanks. I didn't realize that the 58xx series would be dropping so dramatically within the next 3-5 months. I was looking on Tom's Hardware. They set up a video card heirarchy chart, Nvidia compared to ATI. According to their chart the 5770 compared in performance to the GTX 260 and 275. The price difference in the ATI and Nvidia cards however, is huge. The only games I'm ever on really are IL2, MSFS and Red Orchestra. I've never had much luck with ATI. Nvidia has never failed me. I haven't had an ATI card since the 850xt. I was hoping things had changed but am wondering since now again, there is another bug, the block text thing.

http://www.tomshardware.com/re...ics-card,2544-7.html (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-graphics-card,2544-7.html)

LLv34_Flanker
05-21-2010, 11:12 AM
S!

Sniper, ATI has good drivers these days and they are fixing IL-2, so do not worry http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I have used both green and red team cards and can say it is down to personal preference, or insanity, which one to use http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

FoolTrottel
05-21-2010, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Treetop64:

After IL-2 boots, play the F4F vs. G4M track before you do anything else. The instant the video starts the blocks disappear, 100% of the time. You must do this every time you start IL-2.
Here's an idea: switch on the running of the intro movie in IL2Setup.exe, then copy/rename that specific .nrtk file to 'intro.ntrk' and you've got a fix that will run automatically, each time you start IL2? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

rfxcasey
05-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Or you can just use a driver version before 9.10 unless you have a specific issue that is only fixed with a newer release. I don't run Crossfire so it's not that big of an issue for me.

Treetop64
05-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by FoolTrottel:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Treetop64:

Here's an idea: switch on the running of the intro movie in IL2Setup.exe, then copy/rename that specific .nrtk file to 'intro.ntrk' and you've got a fix that will run automatically, each time you start IL2? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brilliant! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

EDIT: Actually, no. That didn't work.
Sorry... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

FoolTrottel
05-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Too bad, sorry!

LLv34_Flanker
05-26-2010, 12:29 PM
S!

ATI has released Catalyst 10.5 drivers and they have stated in release notes that the blocky text corruption in IL-2 has been resolved. Get your drivers here: http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx

Thank you to all who provided feedback and to Coastie! Now grab the drivers and game on! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Urufu_Shinjiro
05-26-2010, 02:17 PM
Anyone testing for frame rate increases or the lighting issues as well? I'd be surprised if they fixed the blocky text without tackling some of the other obvious driver issues.

PF_Coastie
05-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Just got home from work. Had night ops tonight!

This is awesome! going to download now and test. Will post back soon.

Great job to the community here coming together to get this resolved.

Also a huge Thank You to Terry Makedon for listening to his customers even if for a ten year old game.

SAW_343
05-27-2010, 12:25 AM
It works! Perfect settings now and no problems!

rfxcasey
05-27-2010, 06:24 AM
Wow, can it actually be here? Hopefully they haven't induced any other issues while trying to fix this one. It would be helpful if everyone would state their findings here.

Tjaika
05-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Blocky text is gone, but it is still very slow with opengl on my computer. Directx is many times faster.

Catalyst 10,5
Intel 920
Ati 5850
Win 7 64

Urufu_Shinjiro
05-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Tjaika:
Blocky text is gone, but it is still very slow with opengl on my computer. Directx is many times faster.

Catalyst 10,5
Intel 920
Ati 5850
Win 7 64

But that's because DirectX doesn't allow for perfect mode.

PF_Coastie
05-27-2010, 10:57 PM

Catalyst 10,5
Intel 920
Ati 5850
Win 7 64

If it is very slow on that system then you have something very wrong in your setup.

Post your conf.ini and dxdiag in the Community help forum. They will help you get sorted.

Mr_Zooly
05-28-2010, 12:12 AM
I had similar issues with the frame rates, I fixed it by using a driver sweeper program and then reinstalling the driver.

Tjaika
05-28-2010, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Mr_Zooly:
I had similar issues with the frame rates, I fixed it by using a driver sweeper program and then reinstalling the driver.

Yes, I will try that.

At least to test that the card is OK with opengl. I had problems with opengl in Ubuntu 9.10/64 prior to the windows install, but I thought that was because of the (reversed engieneered?) drivers to the ati card. Everything else is very fast. Il2 too using directx is very fast and looks good.

Tjaika
05-28-2010, 12:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tjaika:

Catalyst 10,5
Intel 920
Ati 5850
Win 7 64

But that's because DirectX doesn't allow for perfect mode. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, "perfect" has no such impact. Besides, it is 5-10 times faster with the same settings.

Tjaika
05-28-2010, 01:22 AM
I just downloaded Driver Sweeper from Guru3d and there was no change in results. Is there a good way to test OpenGl performance other that Il2?

Il2 was a clean install in Windows 7 /64. I update the secureroom and use the DVD. Normally I always get rid of such things and use no-cd key. ( I destroyed at least one dcd-writer because of Il2 some years ago, it was the only game I played and such a nuisance this copy protection is for legal buyers) Enough rant.

Everything works as a dream. Benchmarks like Heaven Benchmark with tessalation too.

Since Il2 works so great in directx, I was thinking of let it be, but I could try a little more to fix this. I post the dxdiag in community help, and see if I could get a littel further. At least it could be helpfull for others with similar problems.

Tjaika
05-28-2010, 03:02 AM
I found a benchmark called Furmark that tested OpenGl. Nothing wrong with the opengl here.

PF_Coastie
05-28-2010, 07:21 AM
If your IL2 game is slow, then it is a problem in your IL2 conf.ini file somewhere under the openGL settings. You should be running perfect with that rig with no problems.

rfxcasey
05-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Blocky text is indeed gone and I see no other graphical anomalies. Next I am going to try and see if the blue hue problem is fixed while having vertex arrays on and dynamic lighting set to 3.

Falcke
05-28-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm still having the problem where the game freezes when I move to the in cockpit view, everything else is fixed but the game isn't playable when I can't use the in cockpit view.

Am I really the only one with this??

Falcke
05-28-2010, 06:48 PM
Anyone? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

LLv34_Flanker
05-29-2010, 02:46 AM
S!

Falcke, post your system specs, version of IL-2 and the OpenGL part of your conf.ini. We will try to solve this http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Falcke
05-29-2010, 07:07 AM
Running an HD5850,Q6600 on windows 7 64bit. Using the latest version of Il2.

TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=2
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0

TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=1
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=1
TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=1

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=2
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=2
Water=2
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

Tgd_Voxman
05-29-2010, 08:47 AM
Blocky text is gone, but now have prop flashes. Specific AC that I've seen it is on the LA5.

This is not on version 4.9...but those others.

LLv34_Flanker
05-29-2010, 09:51 AM
S!

Falcke, try the conf.ini below and tell me what happens. Your rig seems to be good for IL2.

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=0
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0

TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=3
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=17
Water=0
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

Mr_Zooly
05-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Blocky text is gone, but now have prop flashes. Specific AC that I've seen it is on the LA5.

This is not on version 4.9...but those others.

The Beaufighter also, did it with me last night. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Falcke
05-31-2010, 04:35 PM
Sorry Flanker, no luck with those settings. The game works perfect in outside views, yet still locks up when I enter the cockpit.

rfxcasey
05-31-2010, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Falcke:
Sorry Flanker, no luck with those settings. The game works perfect in outside views, yet still locks up when I enter the cockpit.

You might have a corrupt install then. I can't really think of any other reason why it would only freeze in cockpit view.

On a side note. I can't speak for everyone but ATI seems to have finally pulled through with this one. Over here my game is running perfectly. I haven't tried any other plays besides USN fighters but that's pretty much all I use anyways so if there are some aircraft specific glitches I have yet to explore them. Pretty happy overall though. Water still looks great in perfect mode. I never get over that.

Tjaika
06-01-2010, 06:50 AM
Uff. I am getting tired of this problem. I have slow fps on opengl as earlier mentioned. It looks like it is only me with this slowdown. I have tried different setting, as posted here or on the community help forum.

Always with the same fps on Black Death: 15fps on perfect.

I should have left it there, as it is fast and nice on direct x, but I just made a reinstall.

Setup.exe didnt work on win 7 /64 so _I used a.exe this time too. Didnt update securerom.
Started on 4,07 m

Black death 25 60 13, so its a improvement but still not what to expect.

Black directx 79 229 32 but now with artifacts. Sometimes white screen med only the 3D objects rendered.

WTE_Ibis
06-01-2010, 07:03 AM
Quote:
The game works perfect in outside views, yet still locks up when I enter the cockpit.

It's probably the same problem that's causing the "flashing" as that only happens when entering cockpit. And for me at least it's not caused by props as it flashes like sheet lightning even to the rear.
I think I'll have to roll back to 10.4 and use the old fix for blocky text.

rfxcasey
06-01-2010, 07:12 AM
Uff. I am getting tired of this problem. I have slow fps on opengl as earlier mentioned. It looks like it is only me with this slowdown. I have tried different setting, as posted here or on the community help forum.

Always with the same fps on Black Death: 15fps on perfect.

I should have left it there, as it is fast and nice on direct x, but I just made a reinstall.

Setup.exe didnt work on win 7 /64 so _I used a.exe this time too. Didnt update securerom.
Started on 4,07 m

Black death 25 60 13, so its a improvement but still not what to expect.

Black directx 79 229 32 but now with artifacts. Sometimes white screen med only the 3D objects rendered.

Couple of things you can try. In the config.ini file find the processor affinity entry and put a ; in front of it.

Also 4.09m added a new default view distance that you may need to set to 2 from the default 3. I forget the exact name off hand but it's in the documentation for 4.09m. There is also an ATI tool on their site so fix certain problems with games using dual core processors.

With that system you should be rocking it! Wonder if anyone else is having similar issues with Win 7 64?
Just a though hope it helps.

Tjaika
06-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Thank you for your effort. It was already a ";" infront of

[rts]
;ProcessAffinityMask=1

I shall update to 4,09 again and do that other thing. Thanks.

KG26_Alpha
06-01-2010, 01:17 PM

[rts]
;ProcessAffinityMask=1

If you have a multiple core processor:

Remove the ;

ProcessAffinityMask=1

This will ensure you are using only a single core for IL21946

Falcke
06-01-2010, 02:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Falcke:

You might have a corrupt install then. I can't really think of any other reason why it would only freeze in cockpit view.

On a side note. I can't speak for everyone but ATI seems to have finally pulled through with this one. Over here my game is running perfectly. I haven't tried any other plays besides USN fighters but that's pretty much all I use anyways so if there are some aircraft specific glitches I have yet to explore them. Pretty happy overall though. Water still looks great in perfect mode. I never get over that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, it worked fine with my 8800GTS. Problems started when I installed the HD5850.

Tjaika
06-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by KG26_Alpha:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tjaika:

[rts]
;ProcessAffinityMask=1

If you have a multiple core processor:

Remove the ;

ProcessAffinityMask=1

This will ensure you are using only a single core for IL21946 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, now I tried both. Not much difference. Without the semicolon I got nearly the same fps on black death on normal and double speed, indicating that cpu is not the limiter.

Black death

normal speed 25 50 13
double speed 25 50 11

But when I have got rid of the direct x artifact (didnt have them earlier) I just stay with direct x and leave it there.

But, a big thank you to all, I appreciate your efforts.

SAW_343
06-01-2010, 07:01 PM
I am by no means a computer guy but, my understanding is you want to remove the ; and set the value to ProcessAffinityMask=2. Thats how mine is set up on a Phenom 4 core. It now uses the second core and seems smoother. I confirmed this with AMD Overdrive.

Hiriyu
06-01-2010, 09:09 PM
I've just reinstalled on Win7 Pro X64 using the 4.08m digital download on Cat 10.5, patched to 4.09m. I had some problems with installation on Win7 with my old Gold Pack + PF + patches, so spent the $10 for the pre-rolled '46. The new installation went without a single hitch, no problems at all, and was able to install from "setup.exe".

Running a single 5870 in Eyefinity (5760x1080) with TIR4 on C2D E8400 OC'd to 3.6Ghz on P35 chipset, 4GB RAM. Previous setup was Win XP32 on the same system with an HD4890.

I'm using Maple's conf.ini settings under OGL, and San's IL-2 FOV changer.

No performance or visual artifact issues noted (much more than I can say for my time spent with my previous 8800GT and 4890 experiences), and I had a much easier time getting Eyefinity running nicely than I had envisioned.

Despite being an IL-2 user for years and years, and being no stranger to making system-specific tweaks, my jaw literally dropped the first time I ran it in this configuration (yesterday http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif). I actually heard myself utter, "Oh my freakin gawd" more than once while testing.

It's serendipity I think, that the new Cats came out with such a perfect timing vis a vis my system refresh. I'm in love again.

If anybody would like, and if it would be useful, I can do some benches for general edification.

Tjaika
06-02-2010, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by sawyer692:
I am by no means a computer guy but, my understanding is you want to remove the ; and set the value to ProcessAffinityMask=2. Thats how mine is set up on a Phenom 4 core. It now uses the second core and seems smoother. I confirmed this with AMD Overdrive.

OK, that makes sense. I just tried with =8 and the game started. In directX is was 60-100 fps no matter the speed of black death. Roughly the same fps on 1/4 speed or 8X speed. Does this mean that Il2 can use 8 cores?