PDA

View Full Version : P-47 Sweet ride

staticline1
07-17-2007, 04:13 PM
I just decided to retry the P-47 in a campaign after trying it way back when the first 4.xx patches had been released. I had a terrible experience in it as I didn't have much skill or knowledge of B&Z coupoled with the woobles that caused many aircraft to have a seizure while in the air I just figured there was no way it was what many here were describing flying it online. Well I'm always a sucker to give something a second chance so I did just the other day and started a Russian stock campaign with the Jug. I have to say oh oh ohhhh baby!!! This thing now is Death with wings for an opponent. Stable, easy to fly, pickes up speed in a dive like a bat out of hell and the 8 .50's is enough to drop practically any a/c in the sky. I was even quite suprised how well at high speeds it makes a turn, I knew it wasn't bad in RL at high speeds but was quite suprised in this sim, its not a spit but still qutie nice. Even with just a couple of thousand feet of altitude the Jug can give an enemy fits if flown correctly, wish I could say the same thing for my AI wingmen and wish I had the time to fly it online and learn from some of the Jug aces, oh well life gets in the way. I got to say I'm a huge Jug fan now, think I found a new favorite a/c.

staticline1
07-17-2007, 04:13 PM
I just decided to retry the P-47 in a campaign after trying it way back when the first 4.xx patches had been released. I had a terrible experience in it as I didn't have much skill or knowledge of B&Z coupoled with the woobles that caused many aircraft to have a seizure while in the air I just figured there was no way it was what many here were describing flying it online. Well I'm always a sucker to give something a second chance so I did just the other day and started a Russian stock campaign with the Jug. I have to say oh oh ohhhh baby!!! This thing now is Death with wings for an opponent. Stable, easy to fly, pickes up speed in a dive like a bat out of hell and the 8 .50's is enough to drop practically any a/c in the sky. I was even quite suprised how well at high speeds it makes a turn, I knew it wasn't bad in RL at high speeds but was quite suprised in this sim, its not a spit but still qutie nice. Even with just a couple of thousand feet of altitude the Jug can give an enemy fits if flown correctly, wish I could say the same thing for my AI wingmen and wish I had the time to fly it online and learn from some of the Jug aces, oh well life gets in the way. I got to say I'm a huge Jug fan now, think I found a new favorite a/c.

Xiolablu3
07-17-2007, 04:32 PM
You can fly a Russian campaign with the P47? Never knew that.

Yeah the P47 is fast and dives like a brute.

As long as you fly her right (ie. historically with a wingman and as your life depends on it), shes a great bird.

3.JG51_BigBear
07-17-2007, 04:45 PM
Offline the P-47 is sweet. Its fast, can take a hit and it does ground attack well. Its stability also allows for some great long range shots on the AI pilots so you can actually get a genuine bounce on Ace and Veteran level pilots every once in a while.

Online is a different story. There are of course exceptions to the rule but for the most part that thing seems to get pretty beat up. Visibility is poor in the early models, people like to gang up on 47s for easy kills, and its low altitude performance is rather lacking. Also, on most servers there isn't a heck of a lot of combat up high where the P-47 really shines.

leitmotiv
07-17-2007, 05:17 PM
The P-47 is not a "sweet ride." It is The Beast.

Xiolablu3
07-17-2007, 05:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 3.JG51_BigBear:
Offline the P-47 is sweet. Its fast, can take a hit and it does ground attack well. Its stability also allows for some great long range shots on the AI pilots so you can actually get a genuine bounce on Ace and Veteran level pilots every once in a while.

Online is a different story. There are of course exceptions to the rule but for the most part that thing seems to get pretty beat up. Visibility is poor in the early models, people like to gang up on 47s for easy kills, and its low altitude performance is rather lacking. Also, on most servers there isn't a heck of a lot of combat up high where the P-47 really shines. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WHat servers do you fly Bigbear?

Where I fly most on UKded2, the P47 is used a lot versus the Japanese and the Germans.

3.JG51_BigBear
07-17-2007, 05:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 3.JG51_BigBear:

Online is a different story. There are of course exceptions to the rule but for the most part that thing seems to get pretty beat up. Visibility is poor in the early models, people like to gang up on 47s for easy kills, and its low altitude performance is rather lacking. Also, on most servers there isn't a heck of a lot of combat up high where the P-47 really shines. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where I fly most on UKded2, the P47 is used a lot versus the Japanese and the Germans. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never said it wasn't used.

I was just pointing out it wasn't as effective online as off.

Xiolablu3
07-17-2007, 05:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:

Where I fly most on UKded2, the P47 is used a lot versus the Japanese and the Germans. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was just pointing out it wasn't as effective online as off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which servers do you fly mate?

I seem to recognise your name?

3.JG51_BigBear
07-17-2007, 05:59 PM

I was just pointing out it wasn't as effective online as off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which servers do you fly mate?

I seem to recognise your name? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You may recognize my name but I haven't flown online with it in almost a year and a half. I used to fly with 3./JG51 in the Forgotten Skies Online war, Greatergreen, Ghost skies, and Warclouds. Now I wander online every once in a while to see what's going and test my hand against some humand opponents but I rarely have the time now.

3.JG51_BigBear
07-17-2007, 06:06 PM
Just remembered, I also used to fly with VF 51 not long after Pacific Fighters came out. I was supposed to head up their dive bomber squadron but nothing ever really came of it and I sort of faded away.

Buzzsaw-
07-17-2007, 11:14 PM
Salute

The 1944 150 Octane P-47D is a tremendous plane.

Flown in groups over 3000 meters altitude, it is extremely dangerous. Flown over 6000 meters, even alone, nothing can touch it but a TA-152.

My only real b*tch about it, (other than the fact the .50's, while improved, still don't quite pack the punch they should) is that 150 octane doesn't come in the Razorback version. Razorbacks also ran on the 150 octane fuel after July '44, and they made up nearly 1/3 of P-47's even in Sept '44.