PDA

View Full Version : Argh! Version 3.01 and still no nose wheel steering!

Col_Tibbetts
11-24-2004, 11:38 AM
We are all flying tail draggers gents. Check out the nose wheel on the B25. It skids accross the ground like it is covered in grease. This isn't so bad in the B25 but I flew the mighty B29 today (online obviously) and in that plane it is just silly.

Since the B29 is so huge it takes a lot of rudder to get it to turn. This shouldn't be a problem since it has a steerable nose wheel. However in PF the wheel just skids accross the runway and you need asymmetric thrust/full rudder to perform turns!

I hope this gets addressed soon. Nose wheel steering isn't part of the game engine at all. The B29 will be flyable someday. Remember the interior modelling someone posted a while ago? I sense a bomber pack coming. Which I would gladly pay for mind you!

I hope that things like bomb intervals, bomb bay door control, and NOSE WHEEL STEERING is included then.

However, this is still the best sim ever!

Cmte. Carvalho
11-24-2004, 11:56 AM
Agree bud... The YP-80 became better after the patch but it still not realistic and the "wheel over grease" effect continues...

gates123
11-24-2004, 02:35 PM
No problems here guys even with jets. 30% throttle, full rudder in the direction you want to turn and tap the breaks. Hold the breaks down if you want to turn sharper but you must have decent forward momentum.

MrMoonlight
11-24-2004, 03:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gates123:
No problems here guys even with jets. 30% throttle, full rudder in the direction you want to turn and tap the breaks. Hold the breaks down if you want to turn sharper but you must have decent forward momentum. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, gates...but I think the point being made here is that there shouldn't be a need for brakes. Differential braking will obviously always work. But if an aircraft is/was equipped with actual nosewheel steering, you should be able to turn the aircraft at low taxi speeds without the use of brakes or asymmetric thrust.

I agree that if an aircraft was equipped with nosewheel steering, it should be modeled as such. There should be no need to use the brakes or be at a high taxi speed where the rudder will have an effect. Hope Oleg and the crew address this at some point.

Fennec_P
11-24-2004, 05:51 PM
Or, at the very least, have the nose wheel actually pointing in the direction you are travelling.

Nothing stranger than to have the NW turned 45 degrees left, but you are still traveling straight ahead.

Or perhaps have a skid mark coming off of the front wheel... you can write your name on the concrete.

Korolov
11-24-2004, 05:53 PM
I thought, in the B-25's case, the nose wheel was free castoring like the P-38...?

Fliger747
11-24-2004, 06:30 PM
B29 did not have nose wheel steering! Dinn'a come along till the B-50. Almost all nosedraggers of the era had castoring nosewheels. Indeed differential braking and rudder was used to set things in motion.

It can be made to work, more or less, but we are stuck with a braking system that does not reflect the particular manner in which many of these aircraft were operated.

As this would require addition of two more control axis tot he sim, I would be surprised to see a change appear here.

MrMoonlight
11-25-2004, 03:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fliger747:
B29 did not have nose wheel steering! Dinn'a come along till the B-50. Almost all nosedraggers of the era had castoring nosewheels. Indeed differential braking and rudder was used to set things in motion.

It can be made to work, more or less, but we are stuck with a braking system that does not reflect the particular manner in which many of these aircraft were operated.

As this would require addition of two more control axis tot he sim, I would be surprised to see a change appear here. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for clearing that up, Flieger...I couldn't recall off the top of my head whether any of the planes in question actually had true nosewheel steering or not.

Since apparently none of them did, this "issue" is really just a cosmetic one. I believe it has to do with the animation of the models themselves. The nosewheel animation is apparently directly linked to the rudder. If You depress your rudder pedal or twist your joystick handle, the rudder and nosewheel will deflect to the same degree, regardless of the relative motion of the model in the sim. This produces the "skidding nosewheel" effect.

I agree it's not a big deal. I believe you're correct in that we won't see a fix anytime soon. But it's something I can live with. There are other, higher priority issues we need fixed. This one is pretty far down on the list, I think.

mortoma
11-25-2004, 08:18 AM
This is a game engine limitation due to them only modelling the effects of propwash across the rudder for turning and a minimal assymetrical braking turn.
The nose-wheels appear to turn but it's animated, there purely for visual appeal only and the tires don't 'grip' the ground. Not functional at all and probably never will be. This may cange with BoB but I doubt for this sim, which is in it's sunset/retirement years.