PDA

View Full Version : How do you use the decoy launcher effectively?

szala11
03-24-2007, 12:01 PM
How do you use the decoy launcher effectively?

szala11
03-24-2007, 12:01 PM
How do you use the decoy launcher effectively?

Foehammer-1
03-24-2007, 12:57 PM
Go ahead flank and dive to about 100 meters, or deeper. As you pass 60-70 meters, drop the decoy, set speed to 2 knots manually and change direction 90 degrees. Creep away. If the DD's are still on you, dive to 150m. Wait, leave a decoy there and go up to about 100 meters or so. Never go faster than 3 knots. Oh, and don't forget to be silent http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ahead flank won't matter, because if you are using the decoy, chances are the DD's know where you are anyway. However, it makes you dive faster, which is useful

Kaiser_W
03-24-2007, 12:58 PM
Other than instinct, I don't really know. I only use decoys once the attacking destroyer has passed over and has to reacquire me. Then head off in another direction without making a lot of noise. Some times it works, sometimes it doesnt'.

PavelKirilovich
03-24-2007, 01:18 PM
In WWII, decoys weren't all that effective. Generally, experienced ASDIC operators could distinguish them easily from the sub; but they did produce additional noise which allowed the sub to hide "under" the decoy or use it to mask the sound of it hauling ***.

In my campaign, I don't have access to the decoy launcher yet (It's still 1941 for me, new campaign started in 1940 and all, etc, etc.) but my experiences in single player missions indicate that if you've been detected, run level at whatever depth you're at, at flank speed. Kick out a decoy when the destroyer is coming down on you. Swing hard port or hard starboard almost immediately after the decoy is launched. Run at flank for a few seconds (I count to about five) before ordering Rig for Silent Running and bringing your engine RPMs down to produce about two knots.

You can also combine the decoy-knuckle-silent manuever with a change in depth, in which case as you swing over ninety degrees, bring yourself down another 25 or 50 metres, then rig for silent, etc, etc.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. What I've found is that if I rig for silent running, creep away a few hundred metres, then set engines to all stop and just sit there as a hole in the water, provided they don't get a return off me from their active sonar arrays, then it's just a game of sitting there waiting for them to leave.

I tend to keep a good book handy to read while on virtual patrols for a number of reasons.

Rusty_S85
03-24-2007, 01:19 PM
The Technique I use is as follows. I have my sub also coated in the sonar absorbing coating also. But if Im located I dive to 50 meters if possible and when the destoryer is getting close right after the pinging stops I go flank speed drop 2 decoys and I do hard port or hard starboard turn and travel 45* away from the course i was taking and then slow down to 3 knots then dive to 100 meters. usually works every time. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 rounds of doing that before slipping away.