PDA

View Full Version : O\T Kill Bill dissappointed me but Kung Fu Hustle....

SeaFireLIV
08-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Didn`t like Kill Bill at all, but thought Kung Fu Hustle was great.

Kill Bill seemed too stupid, just a patch of unoriginal ideas from watching martial arts movies 20 years ago then sticking a girl in bruce lee`s old jogging shorts and what? nothing.

But Kung Fu Hustle somehow took old cliches, revamped them so they became original, added great special effects, a sense of seriousness at some parts plus funny humour and came up with an unexpected winner!

Loved the film!!

And it`s not even english! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Recommended!

SeaFireLIV
08-07-2007, 11:25 AM

Kill Bill seemed too stupid, just a patch of unoriginal ideas from watching martial arts movies 20 years ago then sticking a girl in bruce lee`s old jogging shorts and what? nothing.

But Kung Fu Hustle somehow took old cliches, revamped them so they became original, added great special effects, a sense of seriousness at some parts plus funny humour and came up with an unexpected winner!

Loved the film!!

And it`s not even english! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Recommended!

Worf101
08-07-2007, 11:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:

Loved the film!!

Recommended! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well I must disagree at bit... I've seen both and own both. I find Tarrantino's "vision" in the KB saga, more "homage" than rip-off. Understand, most people didn't see much of the Shaw Brother's original catalogue. There's a lot of movie viewers that didn't live through the Kung Fu craze of the late 60's and early 70's so K.B. was and is something completely new to them.

I found the fight with the Crazy 88's to be masterful and can watch the film, anytime, anywhere. Same with Kung Fu Hustle which I found also to be an inspired "send up" of the genre. If you enjoyed it, you should see it's predecessor "Shao Lin Soccer" that was a hoot as well.

Da Worfster

LEBillfish
08-07-2007, 11:55 AM
yep, KFH ftw between the two....

joeap
08-07-2007, 12:09 PM
Missed Kill Bill and will continue I think...but LOVED Kung Fu Hustle. Effin brilliant! Laughed out loud at this film for the first time in ages.

zardozid
08-07-2007, 12:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Posted Tue August 07 2007 10:25

Loved the film!!

And it`s not even english! Veryhappy

Recommended! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMO comparing the two is a little bit like the "apples and oranges" thing...

KB is a homage and KFH is a Parody

If you don't like the old films it's hard to explain their appeal. Having been a little kid back when these types of films where popular I still remember the thrill of going to the movies on a Saturday and watching the bas guy get the "kung-food" out of him...These films may seem silly to the modern eye but to one who first saw them through the eyes of a kid I still look fondly on them...

I don't have a problem with a homage to these films...for a lot of the younger audiences this stuff is new, and some of them might find it hard to appreciate the old "kung-fu" style (it can seem a little cheesy sometimes)

If you can find the John Woo film "The Killer" watch it...you will not be disappointed.

leitmotiv
08-07-2007, 12:32 PM
The battle royale in the Japanese restaurant at the end of Kill Bill Part 1 was one of the most hilarious spoofs I have ever seen. If you enjoy classic samurai films: Kurosawa, Mifune---not martial arts glak, you will see all of them relentlessly parodied by Tarentino. The final parody was the girl samurai showdown done in a Japanese garden with the utmost solemnity and with one wearing a classical kimono. It was priceless. The detail of Lucy Lu delicately kicking her clogs behind her before the fight was perfect. Tarentino can do high and low humor. He is great. His new Death Proof is equally funny.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1028528/

Superluminal_8
08-07-2007, 02:02 PM
The scene in KFH, when they gonna throw the knifes made me laugh to tears.

erco415
08-07-2007, 02:40 PM
I liked both films pretty evenly - both had some fantastic scenes.
In a similar vein, anyone here seen Kitano's 'Zatoichi'? Great film, with the last 5 minutes being worth the price of admission. (I won't spoil it for you if you havn't seen it yet, but it's not anything I'd ever seen before...)

Low_Flyer_MkVb
08-07-2007, 02:57 PM
I'm with the Worfster on this one.

zardozid
08-07-2007, 03:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In a similar vein, anyone here seen Kitano's 'Zatoichi'? Great film, with the last 5 minutes being worth the price of admission. (I won't spoil it for you if you havn't seen it yet, but it's not anything I'd ever seen before...) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At first I had a hard time with Beat Takeshi film...I was such a big fan of the Shintaro Katsu films it took me watching the film a second time to really appreciate the film for what it is. Now I really like it.

...and yes the final 10 minutes are inspired.

ploughman
08-07-2007, 04:13 PM
To veer slightly off topic, one of the best films I've seen this year is a Korean film from 2003 called Old Boy. It is simply mind blowing.

erco415
08-07-2007, 04:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zardozid:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In a similar vein, anyone here seen Kitano's 'Zatoichi'? Great film, with the last 5 minutes being worth the price of admission. (I won't spoil it for you if you havn't seen it yet, but it's not anything I'd ever seen before...) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At first I had a hard time with Beat Takeshi film...I was such a big fan of the Shintaro Katsu films it took me watching the film a second time to really appreciate the film for what it is. Now I really like it.

...and yes the final 10 minutes are inspired. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never seen the Katsu films, how do they compare? (are they available on dvd?) Having watched Takeshi's version many times, I'm always struck at how well constructed it is, so many little touches that make the film so much richer at the end.

BSS_CUDA
08-07-2007, 05:24 PM
KFH is the ****z. awesome movie, kill bill was fun too, but KFH was better IMO

Daiichidoku
08-07-2007, 05:38 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/Daiichidoku/hongkongphooeyrose4.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/Daiichidoku/918.jpg

SeaFireLIV
08-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Lots of elements I like about it. The super ninja Kungfu killer that looked like a weak old man was funny.

For some reason I found the bit where the man was bullying the girl really touching. The way she just stared at him with no hate or malice, then a tear falls down her face...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/SeaFireLIV/PDVD_016.jpg

The fact that she was a deaf mute is beside the point!

zardozid
08-07-2007, 11:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Posted Tue August 07 2007 15:44 Hide Post

quote:
Originally posted by zardozid:

quote:
In a similar vein, anyone here seen Kitano's 'Zatoichi'? Great film, with the last 5 minutes being worth the price of admission. (I won't spoil it for you if you havn't seen it yet, but it's not anything I'd ever seen before...)

...and yes the final 10 minutes are inspired.
one here and their

I've never seen the Katsu films, how do they compare? (are they available on dvd?) Having watched Takeshi's version many times, I'm always struck at how well constructed it is, so many little touches that make the film so much richer at the end. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes, you can find them on DVD...

Their are more then two dozen Zatoichi films so some are better then others. If you are going to check out the series I would suggest watching them in order. Not because they run in a certain order (most of them stand alone just as well as they do chronologically), but because the first few are the best (IMO)...one of the things to observe is how the style of the films change from 1962 to 1973. In 1962 Zatoichi is a b/w "chanbara" with more or less a strait drama...then in the 1960's a cool/action feel "a-la" James Bond or Clint Eastwood...and then ending up in the 1970's with a more "gritty" violent feel. (actually all the films are violent).

The thing with Zatoichi is everyone has their favorite...enjoy

SeaFireLIV
08-08-2007, 04:01 AM
I`ll keep an eye out for these others.

This is why I like foreign movies since they always have something completely unexpected oe weird/strange at some point.

Hollywood films are way too predictable and standard. I could write a small book on all the rules of a Hollywood film that would enable you to predict EXACTLY how that film will run and end. These days they`re only good if you leave your brain behind at the cinema door...

DuxCorvan
08-08-2007, 04:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
Hollywood films are way too predictable and standard. I could write a small book on all the rules of a Hollywood film that would enable you to predict EXACTLY how that film will run and end. These days they`re only good if you leave your brain behind at the cinema door... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So true (most times). TV series are even worse. 'CSI', 'Cold Case', 'Without a Trace'... I could tell you from the start who was to blame, what had happened, if the victim was alive or not... what a bunch of stereotypes, ready-to-use situations, ordinary twists and common places. Man, the guy who wrote 'Murder, She Wrote', only made an episode, all the rest were the same one!:

1) Jessica is invited by some relative/old friend/institution to spend some days in some place. Very dangerous, because someone has to die every time Jessica goes out of home.

2) Jessica meets there some very sympathetic-smiling person -a friend, a niece, the son of a friend, the friend of a niece...

3) There's a very disgusting person there with a lot of enemies, who may have a motive to kill him/her.

4) During the preliminaries, some of the future suspects say something very relevant for the story. So we don't miss it, the actor says it very slowly and markedly, and Jessica makes a meaningful gesture. There's also some movement with some apparently irrelevant object, but the camera shows it and follows it very closely so we know that it will be relevant later in the story.

5) The night before the murder, the sympathetic character has a very harsh argument with the victim, and threatens him/her.

6) Oh no, the S*O*B is dead! Someone with gloves has entered by night. The victim has said "What are you doing here?" (So he knows him/her!) and has been shot or hit in the head with some heavy object.

7) The cops are informed that the sympathetic person had an argument with the victim, and arrest him/her. Jessica, of course, disagrees. We also disagree, because the sympathetic person is never the murderer. And she's allowed to put her nose everywhere, because she's so charismatic.

8) Finally the murderer is the one who said something relevant and/or handled some thing before the very open eyes and ears of Jessica, as we all knew yet, thanks to the 'clever' remarks of both lines and camera. Jessica waits for the bad one in some deserted room: "Is this what you're looking for?". "You have no proof, that won't do before a jury". And that's true, because the 'proof' Jessica has is feeble at best. But the guy/chick confesses it all, saying the full story. And then... "Now I have to kill you". Jessica gasps, but no worry, because, voilą, the Sheriff, the cops, five or six people appear suddenly from behind a curtain, or under a sofa, and arrest him/her.

9) To end, there's a bit of small talk, where the sympathetic person thanks Jessica for saving him/her from prison, everyone smiling, and a silly sidekick says something naive and unfunny, but everybody laughs and smiles. The camera freezes Jessica's stupid smile and the series tune starts playing. End.

ZZZZZZ....

Colombo also had it easy: the smarta$s who is always trying to give him mislead theories... that has to be the murderer! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

BAG.LordDante
08-08-2007, 05:59 AM
has sombody seen KUNG POW enter the Fist ??

That one REALY ROCKT

I love evil betty ! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Sturm_Williger
08-08-2007, 06:34 AM
I like both KB and KFH all for the reasons given above.

My favourite part of Zatoichi is the music juxtaposed with the farmers/dancers hoeing in the field. Absolutely inspired touch and it's just an ordinary scene...

han freak solo
08-08-2007, 07:25 AM
I didn't see Kill Bill.

My wife and I saw Kung Fu Hustle at the theaters when we dared each other to see it.

K1ck @ss entertainment. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif I bought the DVD, too.

SeaFireLIV
08-08-2007, 07:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DuxCorvan:

So true (most times). TV series are even worse. 'CSI', 'Cold Case', 'Without a Trace'... I could tell you from the start who was to blame, what had happened, if the victim was alive or not... what a bunch of stereotypes, ready-to-use situations, ordinary twists and common places. Man, the guy who wrote 'Murder, She Wrote', only made an episode, all the rest were the same one!:

1) Jessica is invited by some relative/old friend/institution to spend some days in some place. Very dangerous, because someone has to die every time Jessica goes out of home.

2) Jessica meets there some very sympathetic-smiling person -a friend, a niece, the son of a friend, the friend of a niece...

3) There's a very disgusting person there with a lot of enemies, who may have a motive to kill him/her.

4) During the preliminaries, some of the future suspects say something very relevant for the story. So we don't miss it, the actor says it very slowly and markedly, and Jessica makes a meaningful gesture. There's also some movement with some apparently irrelevant object, but the camera shows it and follows it very closely so we know that it will be relevant later in the story.

5) The night before the murder, the sympathetic character has a very harsh argument with the victim, and threatens him/her.

6) Oh no, the S*O*B is dead! Someone with gloves has entered by night. The victim has said "What are you doing here?" (So he knows him/her!) and has been shot or hit in the head with some heavy object.

7) The cops are informed that the sympathetic person had an argument with the victim, and arrest him/her. Jessica, of course, disagrees. We also disagree, because the sympathetic person is never the murderer. And she's allowed to put her nose everywhere, because she's so charismatic.

8) Finally the murderer is the one who said something relevant and/or handled some thing before the very open eyes and ears of Jessica, as we all knew yet, thanks to the 'clever' remarks of both lines and camera. Jessica waits for the bad one in some deserted room: "Is this what you're looking for?". "You have no proof, that won't do before a jury". And that's true, because the 'proof' Jessica has is feeble at best. But the guy/chick confesses it all, saying the full story. And then... "Now I have to kill you". Jessica gasps, but no worry, because, voilą, the Sheriff, the cops, five or six people appear suddenly from behind a curtain, or under a sofa, and arrest him/her.

9) To end, there's a bit of small talk, where the sympathetic person thanks Jessica for saving him/her from prison, everyone smiling, and a silly sidekick says something naive and unfunny, but everybody laughs and smiles. The camera freezes Jessica's stupid smile and the series tune starts playing. End.

ZZZZZZ....

Colombo also had it easy: the smarta$s who is always trying to give him mislead theories... that has to be the murderer! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see you`ve read my book, Dux! lol. But you`ve absolutely got it. Once anyone figures it out it just isn`t watchable any more. Good one! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif