PDA

View Full Version : OT - Weather

Red_Russian13
01-14-2005, 04:20 PM
Okay, I think this is the first OT thread I've ever started...but...

Does anyone remember weather like this in the northeastern US? Yesterday it was 70, yes, SEVENTY degrees outside. It was like I was in San Diego again. And today, it is 22 out. This is farenheit, by the way...

Sorry, just had to draw attention to this. It's maddening here in PA. Winters suck here and that one day of seventy made me want SPRING!

Oh, and last Sunday it got up to SIXTY. Strange for January.

Edit: I forgot, there's only one 's' in Sunday.

LStarosta
01-14-2005, 06:33 PM
Boo hoo.

My high yesterday was at 60.

Today it's single digits.

I would kill for 20 degree weather. At least my car door locks don't freeze then.

Owlsphone
01-14-2005, 06:37 PM
<----In Philadelphia here.

Yes the weather is insane.

Do you remember last year in February when it hit 78 degrees for a week and then the next week we had like a foot of snow?

LW_lcarp
01-14-2005, 07:58 PM
Its -25 with out the windchill here in Wisconsin right now and yesterday it was 40 so yes the weather is all messed up

GreyBeast
01-14-2005, 08:36 PM
Mother Nature striking back.

Stirring.

Angry.

CowboyTodd41
01-14-2005, 10:27 PM
You guys don't know how good you have it. I live in Kansas. Two weeks ago it was nice and warm and sunny, last week it was constant ice storms and fog, this week, its just bitter cold, but in all honesty, this is standard weather for KS. It's like they say, "If you don't like the weather in Kansas, wait 5 minutes and it'll be something else."

Owlsphone
01-15-2005, 12:43 AM
Wait 5 minutes and it will be something else...

I was driving home to meet my mom for lunch 20 minutes away. When I got into my car today it was almost 60 degrees and I was thinking to myself that I didn't need my winter coat on. When I got out of the car at the restaurant 20 minutes later I had sleet and snow covering my windshield.

What is going on?

woofiedog
01-15-2005, 01:11 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gifI'm up in New England... and yesterday it was almost 60 degrees early in morning... and then it was snowing in the afternoon... and finally I saw the sun just before dusk.

Red_Russian13
01-15-2005, 11:23 PM
I forgot I made this post!

LStarosta;

I was not complaining as much as mentioning it. It appears that your situation is very similar, with a bit lower temps than mine.

I've seen some dramatic shifts in temperatures. Once I saw a thirty degree drop in a few hours. But I've never seen a drop of nearly 50 degrees in 12 hours.

Owlsphone;

I think I remember that. It wasn't so severe here in Erie though.

LW_lcarp has some very strange temperature conditions in Wisconsin. Sixty degree change...

CowboyTodd41 seems to indicate that Kansas weather is jacked up too. But it seems to be SOP for that area. I wouldn't like it there.

What's strikingly more odd for my area: We normally have TONS of snow by now. In 2002/2003, we had 110 inches of snowfall by Jan 1st. This year, we've hardly had any. It's been relatively mild, both precipitation and temperature wise.

Anyway, I just wanted to see how the rest of the country (and others, I hear central Europe has a warm spell as well) was fairing.

Stay warm, dry, or whatever your situation warrants...

Heavy_Weather
01-16-2005, 06:14 AM
the planet is getting warmer and will continue to do so. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Slechtvalk
01-16-2005, 10:30 AM
Yes in europe aswell. Last week it was 14 celcius when it should be freezing really. Flowers where coming up and some trees thought it was spring and went out of their winter sleep. This week it's freezing again. So about a 15 celcius temp drop in 1 week.

What I notice is that the weather goes in waves, 1 week hot and then suddenly the next week very cold.

No straight line but in waves.

OMK_Hand
01-16-2005, 01:26 PM
Without wishing to depress anyone, but its unavoidable really
Have you ever heard of 'Global Dimming'?
There was TV Programme shown here in the UK about this newly recognised phenomenon.

In a nutshell, the story is this:
Any forecasts for the effects on temperature and climate of Global Warming published so far have all used similar models based around greenhouse gasses pollution.

They are all wrong.
Wrong as in: They totally underestimate the severity of our problem.

There is another form of pollution that¿s been quietly screwing all of these models because no-one was aware if its true significance.
This pollution is particle pollution. Soot, etc. in the atmosphere.
This solid pollution streams from source- Factories, Cars, houses, anything that burns fossil fuels - right across the globe, carried by winds etc., and it spreads out to cover most countries.

In Nature, clouds form through water condensing around naturally occurring particles in the atmosphere.
Water continues to condense on these particles until the drops around each are heavy enough to fall as rain.

Pollution is replacing these natural particles, and clouds are forming around our s**t instead. Unfortunately, due to the nature of these s**ty particles, water only partially condenses onto them.
This makes these new clouds highly reflective of sunlight, and they¿re reluctant to fall as rain because the particles rarely have enough water on them. The new clouds subsequently grow much larger than regular clouds.
So they are bigger, shinier, and dry.

They are everywhere, including Aircraft contrails, and they are causing less sunlight to reach the Earth's surface.
20 odd percent of the Suns light and heat is reflected straight back into space. This is Global Dimming, and its been happening un-recognised for about 30 years.

The Earth is actually cooler overall than it was 30 years ago, but we perceive it to be warmer because of the blanket effect caused by the greenhouse gasses, which scientists have recognised for some time now.
The reduced heat that does reach us is trapped in the atmosphere.
Global Dimming has been hiding from us the true effects of Global Warming.

Pretty bad, but theres more:
Whilst covering most of the planet, a great mass of this pollution ends up focused along the equator, where it generates a global belt of these highly reflective, dry clouds.
Clouds that should be responsible for various seasonal monsoons.
North equator monsoons have been failing for some time.
Africa, etc.
South equator monsoons are expected to also start to fail before long.
SE Asia, etc.

And theres more:
Now that we in Europe and elsewhere are cutting down on particulate pollution, our air quality is generally better.
However, as a direct result of this slight reduction in particle emissions, Global Dimming has slightly reduced causing the rate of global warming to apparently increase as full sunlight reaches slightly more of the Earth's surface.
Greenhouse gas emissions are still increasing, so the extra heat is trapped just the same. Result- Suddenly the Earth gets much warmer.

We are all apparently experiencing the effects of a spiralling increase in temperature caused by a variety of pollution causes and effects, not just Greenhouse gasses.
I think the new forecast in this programme was a 10 degrees increase in temperature within forty years, IF nothing is done globally about fossil fuel pollution, right now.

That was the message of the programme:
We are in deep s**t.
Alternate sources of energy are needed now.
Our kids are NOT going to thank us.

The bit about the inevitable release of polar methane was a bit depressing, so I wont mention that.

Thought you might be interested in this.
I was horrified.

Shadow1706
01-16-2005, 03:04 PM
Today it was +5C with occasional rain drops here in southern Finland. It's mid-January and there's little or no snow on the ground. And all the polar bears have fled to Norway.

Covino
01-16-2005, 04:18 PM
Yeah, weather has been crazy here in Connecticut. There's a saying, "Don't like the weather in New England? Don't worry, it'll change in 10 minutes."

But I'm going to college at Daytona Beach in a few months so I'm happy this is my last real Winter.

heywooood
01-16-2005, 08:29 PM
well - for what it is worth, San Diego this last week got more rain (13.5 inches in 4 days) than it has in the last 4 years combined so....ofcourse it is 68 and cloudless today and should be for the rest of this week as well....hmmm..not sure what I want to say with this post/reply. Hope you are all well and happy wherever you are.

HansKnappstick
01-17-2005, 01:06 AM
I don't want to discourage all you environmental activists, but the Mother Nature is much stronger than any pollution man can create so far. It is also more angry than you dare to think.

Recent ice drillings both in Grenland and in Antarctics suggest that 100 centuries ago and before, thus before civilised mankind developed, the climate was much less stable than today. The mean temperature was varying ca. 20 C every century. The temperature stability observed for the last 10 thsd years is rather an exception than the rule, it seems. This "grace period" was fortunate for the development of the human civilisation, but we may be close to its end, whether we Kioto or not.

BTW. This whole Kioto will save how much? 0.5 C within the next 100 years?

Nero111
01-17-2005, 01:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> BTW. This whole Kioto will save how much? 0.5 C within the next 100 years <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah but even 0.5 degrees can mean the difference between life and death to some living organisims, which inturn sustain other forms of life and so on. Sea life, especialy things like coral, live on a very fine line.

The point is that the emmissions going into our atmosphere are not good, no matter what way you look at it, hence why every country should get onboard the Kyoto accord. Even if the result is small, its a result for the better.
Also moving away from fossil fuels is a good thing, the Kyoto accord will assist in this trend which would then lead to a decline in fossil fuel demands, which in turn will lead to a price reduction of oil, and any petrochemical based product, that is a good thing for sure as everything in modern society is ultimately governed by the oil price, which leaves the world at the mercy of the OPEC.

crazyivan1970
01-17-2005, 01:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heavy_Weather:
the planet is getting warmer and will continue to do so. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I donno mate, based on last winter here in NJ it sure didn`t feel that way. But this winter is rather strange... I kinda enjoyed skipping work due to blizzards last year http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

OMK_Hand
01-17-2005, 03:42 AM
Kyoto, like everything governments do, is the result of economic decisions.
Saving the economy is always priority.

The catastrophe around the Indian Ocean is the latest example of this. The international response has been:
1)Save the economy (Send money which will ultimately end up in banks)
2)Save the people

So, for example, hotels are full of tourists a few kilometres away from distraught people who have nothing now in the world. Tell me this is right.

Seems to me that what appears to be happening with pollution etc. it's beyond any Western Governments power to respond sensibly, because they will consider the 'problem' in economic terms.

Shame that economists should determine our fates.
Nature, I can accept, but economists?

Any Bankers and Economists flying online? Hehe...

Skarphol
01-17-2005, 05:21 AM
It seems to me that the USA is suffering particularly hard as a result of the global heating. There seems to be moore flooding, more hurricanes and more unstable weather in America than in other parts of the world.
It's a paradox then, that the US governement seems so litle interrested in taking measures to reduce pollution, like the Kyoto-agreement.

The polar-bears from Finland has yet not arrived in the Oslo-area where I live. The litle snow that came is all gone, temperatures are in the +7?C/35?F region when it should have been -10?C wit a meter/3 feet of snow. It's a boring winter, it is.

Skarphol

HansKnappstick
01-17-2005, 06:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OMK_Hand:

The catastrophe around the Indian Ocean is the latest example of this. The international response has been:
2)Save the people

So, for example, hotels are full of tourists a few kilometres away from distraught people who have nothing now in the world. Tell me this is right.

Seems to me that what appears to be happening with pollution etc. it's beyond any Western Governments power to respond sensibly, because they will consider the 'problem' in economic terms.

Shame that economists should determine our fates.
Nature, I can accept, but economists?

Any Bankers and Economists flying online? Hehe... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course it is right! How else do you think those people can earn their living?

Or do you maintain that living of internationally funded welfare for eternity should be the norm?

Exactly the recent disaster in the Indian Ocean showed a couple of things:
1. The power of nature can dwarf anything that a man can throw against it (save perhaps a full scale nuclear war)
2. The suffering was less dire and was alleviated faster in those countries, where there is more freedom (compare Thailand with Burma, or India with Ceylon).
3. The response of private indviduals was much swifter and more generous than the one of the governments

Just get a little off your anti-capitalist attitude and start seeing the real world.
Sorry but you comment that the "economy was beeing saved first" just does not hold the water. Exactly what are the US airmen doing right now? The Indonesian economy has not suffered any bit from this disaster! The only industry of the Atjeh province were its off-shore oil platforms, and they wer unscratched... So what has everybody been doing there so far? According to your theory, there should be no relef force in Indonesia at all!

Please provide a proof to your these, or post your apologies. I think your post is offensive towards all the generous people around the world who donated their hard earned money to this action, and even more offensive towards all those people of varoius nationalities who have been working at the disaster site for the last weeks.

OMK_Hand
01-17-2005, 10:30 AM
Well, I€m sorry If I haven€t put myself across very well.
People all over have responded to the tsunami disaster the only way we can, in the noblest way.
I€m sorry if I have offended.

Survivalist, eh?

Swivet
01-17-2005, 10:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It's maddening here in PA. Winters suck here and that one day of seventy made me want SPRING! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<--- Is in Milford, PA, and yes this weather blowz! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif Tho i just bought a Toyota Tundra 4x4 so i'm ready for anything!
I had spring fever back in October 04'! I think my back is still sore from shovelling snow! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

GreyBeast
01-17-2005, 11:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HansKnappstick:
Just get a little off your anti-capitalist attitude and start seeing the real world.
Sorry but you comment that the "economy was beeing saved first" just does not hold the water. Exactly what are the US airmen doing right now?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What are US airmen doing right now?

US airmen in Southeast Asia are polishing the image of their bloodthirsty government, that´s what they´re doing...

No matter HOW MUCH money the US government donates, it's absolutely ridiculous when you compare it to the 177 Million US Dollars spent on the War in Iraq EVERY DAY. Just think about that for a second. 177 Million Dollars every 24 hours.

Why don´t they call off the war for a week? Hell, with almost 1,5 Billion Dollars they could DRAIN THE F@#%ING INDIAN OCEAN!!!

Have you been oblivious to the news these past, what, two years? Every second item is about the war in Iraq (minus REAL combat footage, that is) The tsunami is God's gift to Bush. It takes the attention from the ongoing massacre and it lets American troops look like Santa Claus, bringing food and what-have-you to the survivors in Southeast Asia.

This is not a personal attack on you, Hans.

SeaFireLIV
01-17-2005, 11:38 AM
Well, it`s the typical attitude of the Human race, isn`t it? We know something`s happening to the weather, we`ve been warned continuously about global warming and what we need to do to drastically reduce its gathering effects...

But what do we do? what do the Governments do? A lot of lip talk and then next to nothing. Sorry, US Government, but being one of the biggest producers of pollution you really should have at least signed the Kyoto treaty - but it`s not all their fault. ALL OF US MUST TAKE SOME BLAME (the humble car for example...)

Anyway, i`m not worried about Mother Earth at all. Earth will simple shrug this off over a few thousand years, even a global nuclear war wouldn`t bother it much. Earth has plenty of TIME...

...BUT DO WE?

BaldieJr
01-17-2005, 12:16 PM
The US is the greatest nation on the planet. We give out cash and freedom like candy.

MO_JOJO
01-19-2005, 04:55 AM
By the way, all of you...welcome to weather St. Louis style. My birthday is this month, and I recall some years, as a kid, we were playing hockey on the frozen pond in the woods on my birthday. Other years, we were in shorts playing football or riding bikes. It has always been strange weather here, but seems to be getting warmer, and snow is a rare treat. Kids today don't know the miracle of snow days!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OMK_Hand:

2)Save the people

So, for example, hotels are full of tourists a few kilometres away from distraught people who have nothing now in the world. Tell me this is right. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not just government, it's the fat rich bastards who own the politicians. It's always been that way.

And as far as these tourists...they are the fat guys' families and friends. This too has been that way since before the tsunami. One image of Thailand I won't forget is from my visit to Bangkok. Here were the most magnificent hotels I have ever seen and down the street were the boxes (not homes - boxes) these utterly poor, unbelievably poor people "lived" in. Our poor are tycoons in comparison, and yet these people coexisted a stone's throw away from lavish wealth. Mercedes, Bentleys, etc., tourists galore, ..enough money to do so much, and yet such widespread poverty everywhere we went. No wonder they sell their children into the sex industry. The Police song, "Driven to Tears" comes to mind, and yet it's not enough to cry.

Be certain that the US, if not the whole world, will fix the tsunami damage, but with weather like we described, it will happen again somewhere else soon. How long until we can't help out anyone but ourselves?

SeaFireLIV
01-19-2005, 05:04 AM
Well said, MO_JOJO . You`ve just said something that a lot of wealthy people don`t want to know.
Interestingly yesterday, in Leicester, where I live, we had a big heavy Thunder shower, with several Lightning strikes and then it rained hailstones?! People were running and the place was white in less than a minute! Leicester`s pretty mundane, we don`t normally get this kind of mixed-up weather.

Weather`s getting wierder and wierder.

HansKnappstick
01-19-2005, 06:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GreyBeast:

US airmen in Southeast Asia are polishing the image of their bloodthirsty government, that´s what they´re doing...
(...etc...)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
By comparison, the people-loving and beloved around the world, the government of PR China, sent brave 16 medicians and promissed how much? 50 million $ of help to their, actually, historically speaking, neighbours.

So we have a bad, blood thirsty Uncle Sam, and PR China as every man's promised land of humanity.

The world is going weird these days.

GreyBeast
01-19-2005, 01:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HansKnappstick:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GreyBeast:

(...etc...)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
By comparison, the people-loving and beloved around the world, the government of PR China, sent brave 16 medicians and promissed how much? 50 million $ of help to their, actually, historically speaking, neighbours.

So we have a bad, blood thirsty Uncle Sam, and PR China as every man's promised land of humanity.

The world is going weird these days. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn´t saying "THIS country donated more than THAT country" and I definitely WASN´T saying China is the "promised land of humanity", far from it. China is not one cent "better" than the US, but at least they don´t go invading other countries to snag their resources while lying to the rest of the world saying it's done in order to bring "democracy" to the Middle East.

flyingscampi
01-19-2005, 03:03 PM
I can't wait to see if Britain is going to be a desert or under 30ft of water or ice. All recent predictions in the british media.

OMK_Hand
01-19-2005, 04:57 PM
I can.
How are we going to play online then?
I dunno... All this is really annoying.
I don't like things interfering with my IL2...
How about we have an international
"Oi! Leaders! F****** wake up and earn your f****** pay!" day.
Everyone stops what they're doing at a pre-determined time, and screams the above sentiment. Apart from a small carbon dioxide boost, it couldn't hurt. I'd certainly feel better for it...

It's really hard to be flippant in subjects such as we¯¿re touching on here, especially the poverty that MO_JOJO describes which is somehow easier to comprehend because it is so obvious.
How anyone can call himself or herself a Leader, or be acclaimed as such by others when there is poverty in the world is beyond me.
There is no valid reason why it should exist. It, and all of our other economic, social and pollution problems are the result of repeated really, really bad management, and the management surely should be held to account

I'm sorry, I'm taking this way OT.
What a Forum this game has!

LEXX_Luthor
01-19-2005, 05:22 PM
Enron Corporation was a major lobbiest for the Kyoto Treaty, as Enron was into energy trading, and stood to Profit from Kyoto Treaty.

Kyoto Treaty is to be Enforced by the World Bank--so much for Kyoto Treaty "helping" the world's poor.

The United Nations has publications that link African childbirth to increasing Global Warming, and UN "applauds" African leaders who take measures http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif under the World Bank's economic "adjustment" programs to prevent African childbirth.

Most bizzare, the Pentagon is the new Leader in the Fight Against Global Warming. Ye olde Defense Secretary and World Bank president Robert McNamara has long been a leading spokesmen for raising public awareness of...Global Warming.

Very Clever http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

jensenpark
01-19-2005, 06:56 PM
Temperature swings?

I know what you mean...

Went to work, it was -27 celcius...came home it was -23 celcius.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

WTE_Galway
01-19-2005, 10:07 PM
If it was good enough for the emperor Nero than its good enough for us.

We should just feel sorry for all those people who died in WWII thinking the world would have a long happy future ahead of it.

wayno7777
01-19-2005, 11:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Red_Russian13:
I forgot I made this post!

I've seen some dramatic shifts in temperatures. Once I saw a thirty degree drop in a few hours. But I've never seen a drop of nearly 50 degrees in 12 hours.

Owlsphone;

I think I remember that. It wasn't so severe here in Erie though.

LW_lcarp has some very strange temperature conditions in Wisconsin. Sixty degree change...

... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In Allentown it was 63 at 8pm, by 11:15 it was down to 17. Last two nights it was 8 and 6. Now today we got some snow. At least it's warmed up to snow. It's 18 right now.

Aaron_GT
01-20-2005, 08:20 AM
" or under 30ft of water"

I thought Cumbria was already :-)