PDA

View Full Version : Bomb damage and AI Torpedo issue

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 12:45 PM
Gentlemen, sincere apologies if this is the wrong place to discuss this.

It's about an issue where bomb damage occurs to buildings even if no enemy should IMHO had a chance to get near or damage these buildings. And about another issue where submarines fire torpedoes at buildings on the land and damage them as well.

I've reported this before, but since nobody else chimed in, I thought maybe I'm wrong about this.

I have therefor uploaded the missions here

http://users.skynet.be/AchimT/at_FB_missions.zip

and would appreciate any comments as to why the buildings get damaged, especially in the missions titled 'Massive' and 'Atlantis_submarine).

Thank you for helping me clarify this, and apologies again if this isn't the place to mention this, but I though here the developers could also have a look if they wanted to and had the time.

Edit: these missions are all online coop missions supposed to be flown on the Blue side, so the blue AI hasn't been fully optimised, and you have to give yourself a plane first if you want to fly them in offline mode. Alternative you can simply create a server and pretend to fly online.

If anyone gets into playing them, be aware that I was trying to create a realistic environment. You can't shoot every enemy down, and you and your side will take damage as well, it's unavoidable, and was done so on intention.

Message Edited on 09/04/0311:48AM by AchimT

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 12:45 PM
Gentlemen, sincere apologies if this is the wrong place to discuss this.

It's about an issue where bomb damage occurs to buildings even if no enemy should IMHO had a chance to get near or damage these buildings. And about another issue where submarines fire torpedoes at buildings on the land and damage them as well.

I've reported this before, but since nobody else chimed in, I thought maybe I'm wrong about this.

I have therefor uploaded the missions here

http://users.skynet.be/AchimT/at_FB_missions.zip

and would appreciate any comments as to why the buildings get damaged, especially in the missions titled 'Massive' and 'Atlantis_submarine).

Thank you for helping me clarify this, and apologies again if this isn't the place to mention this, but I though here the developers could also have a look if they wanted to and had the time.

Edit: these missions are all online coop missions supposed to be flown on the Blue side, so the blue AI hasn't been fully optimised, and you have to give yourself a plane first if you want to fly them in offline mode. Alternative you can simply create a server and pretend to fly online.

If anyone gets into playing them, be aware that I was trying to create a realistic environment. You can't shoot every enemy down, and you and your side will take damage as well, it's unavoidable, and was done so on intention.

Message Edited on 09/04/0311:48AM by AchimT

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 01:14 PM
users.skynet.be?

hehe /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

(kheb nog niet direct tijd om uw missions te checken, I will but someone will prolly beat me to it /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif )

---------------------
: + ) = /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
; + ) = /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
: + ( = /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif
: + o = /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif
: + P = /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif
: + | = /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif
: + <u>?</u> = /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif<h6>- need help whining? (393k) (http://users.pandora.be/vnnet/forum/016.exe)
- Don't call me chris! (814k) (http://users.pandora.be/vnnet/forum/dontcallmechris.avi)
- Why you should eat breakfast (344k) (http://users.pandora.be/vnnet/forum/eatbreakfast.avi)</h6>

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 01:56 PM
bedankt http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-05-2003, 09:50 AM
Sincere apologies for bumping this one single time, but is really _nobody_ interested in this bomb damage issue and the torpedoes attacking buildings?

I mean, we can argue for weeks and weeks about a little metal bar being a inch high or low, but when buildings get damaged without even being attacked, and torpedoes attack and damage buildings on the land, this is perfectly ok with everyone? /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-05-2003, 04:33 PM
AchimT wrote:
- Sincere apologies for bumping this one single time,
- but is really _nobody_ interested in this bomb
- damage issue and the torpedoes attacking buildings?

Sure, I'm interested in these and a plethora of other things that need correcting. The problem is, the developer has their own list of priorities and it may not align with what you or I think is important. Case in point is the 190 forward view issue. It's been batted back and forth for quite awhile, but Oleg says it isn't going to be changed no matter what. Let's face it, this sim is already on the shelves. With the lead time it takes for a project to reach market, I'd imagine 1C:Maddox is hard at work and focused on their next project. They don't have unlimited resources and even though they are by far the most responsive sim builders around, time and money are the over-riding factors. Just imagine the tension caused when Ubi issued the wrong "final" patch. Success has its negative side. Since IL-2 went over so well, it doesn't seem Oleg has the time to get involved with the community like he used to.

Spectre

XyZspineZyX
09-05-2003, 04:41 PM
Hi Spectre,

thanks for the words of explanation, they're appreciated.

I wasn't expecting any response from Oleg or the Maddox team. I'm just surprised that such things like your homebase getting badly damaged although the enemy never reaches it don't seem to interest anyone here in the community.

I'm also not exasperated or anything like that, I'm more amused about, and puzzled by this /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif so I thought I'd bump this thread one single time.

I personally am very interested in realistic flight models and planes, but for me, there are other, equally important aspects to such a simulation, ranging from graphics and gameplay to how the overall battlefield is simulated.

And I've gotten a bit into building missions, so these issues interest me equally much as the 190 Forwad View.

But maybe I'm simply wrong, and there's something happening in these missions I don't understand, and the others are too polite to tell me in public and make me look like a fool, so I'll better let this thread fall back to sleep /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 01:22 AM
AchimT:

You, I and many others are smitten with this sim. Is it perfect? Nope, but it is the benchmark by which all other WWII air combat sims will be judged. Is there room for improvement? You bet. The Mission Builder forum was a great move on the part of Ubi and there is much good information shared willingly by the posters there. I also enjoy building missions for online play with my squadmates. Having migrated from Janes WWII Fighters, I find the IL-2/FB FMB (Full Mission Builder) to be, in some ways, easier and more powerful than Janes, but less so in other ways. Oleg's team had to make a decision at some point as to how the FMB would be structured. They decided not to include triggers which would have allowed conditional branching when designing a mission. The FMB is capable of many fine things and its biggest shortcoming, IMHO, is the lack of a well written user's manual. At some point the earliest versions of IL-2 allowed padlocking of ships just as with any other ground target, but this was omitted by a patch and has never been fixed. Too, the ships became nearly invincible which pretty much killed anti-ship missions as an option. Although improved with the 1.1b patch, most people I have talked with agree that ship damage is still not right. I think you're doing the right thing by posting and bumping issues you think are important. There is always the chance that someone from the development team will run across your post and do something about it. Sometimes you feel like it falls on deaf ears, but even though you may not get written responses, rest assured you are not alone in your concerns.

Spectre