PDA

View Full Version : 1.2RC and jvm.dll: HEY OLEG! JUST A LITTLE MORE!!!!!!!

XyZspineZyX
11-21-2003, 12:33 AM
A little more of whatever you did to 1.2 RC

As many of you who regularly hang around these forums may already know I have been struggleing since March to get Forgotten Battles to run on my machine but have been unable to do so due to the rare but seemingly permanently fatal "jvm.dll crash error". Countles times I have changed this or that but thorugh it all the game has NEVER run longer than fifteen minutes before the jvm.dll crash error struck. You could bet your house on it.

One thing that has been determined in the struggles is that the trouble is most likely a hardware problem having something to do with my motherboard (Abit KT7a-R) and VIA KT133a chipsets. This board being over two years old and maxed out it was time to think about upgrading anyhow so I uninstalled FB, put it on the shelf and resigned myself to being unable to play it until after I got a new moboard.

The fatalism inspired by the above dismal record prevented my downloading of the 1.2 RC until a few days ago and delayed the install of the game until just last night. Wondering why I was even bothering I booted the game, started the usual "test mission" (sink the Marat), set autopilot and kicked back to wait the fifteen minutes or less for the jvm.dll crash I had seen with ALL of the hundreds of previous attempts. It was late. VERY late!

I ran though the entire mission (until I was killed) without a crash. Unbelieving, I did the mission again, Blown out of the sky again but STILL no crash! CAN THIS BE?!?!?!? Once more through. This time I did not die and I let it run until all aircraft landed. NO CRASH! Ok, try a different mission. I went to the HE-111 mission. Sank the ship and got my tail shot off but NO CRASH!!!! YAHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

THen my luck ran out when I exited to the main menu. Dat ole debble jvm.dll showed up again. Still, FOUR COMPLETE MISSIONS WITHOUT A CRASH!!!!!!

Just to make sure it was not a fluke I rebooted and ran it again. I got in three missions this time but it crashed when exiting the third. Today I tried it yet again. Three complete missions but it crashed in the middle of the fourth. This is no fluke.

Oleg, I dont know what you did in that patch but whatever it was struck a mighty blow to that damn jvm.dll error. I think all that is needed now is just a little more of whatever you did and it will be fixed.

If this is possible without screwing up something else:

***PPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEE*** TRY!!!!!!!!

XyZspineZyX
11-21-2003, 12:33 AM
A little more of whatever you did to 1.2 RC

As many of you who regularly hang around these forums may already know I have been struggleing since March to get Forgotten Battles to run on my machine but have been unable to do so due to the rare but seemingly permanently fatal "jvm.dll crash error". Countles times I have changed this or that but thorugh it all the game has NEVER run longer than fifteen minutes before the jvm.dll crash error struck. You could bet your house on it.

One thing that has been determined in the struggles is that the trouble is most likely a hardware problem having something to do with my motherboard (Abit KT7a-R) and VIA KT133a chipsets. This board being over two years old and maxed out it was time to think about upgrading anyhow so I uninstalled FB, put it on the shelf and resigned myself to being unable to play it until after I got a new moboard.

The fatalism inspired by the above dismal record prevented my downloading of the 1.2 RC until a few days ago and delayed the install of the game until just last night. Wondering why I was even bothering I booted the game, started the usual "test mission" (sink the Marat), set autopilot and kicked back to wait the fifteen minutes or less for the jvm.dll crash I had seen with ALL of the hundreds of previous attempts. It was late. VERY late!

I ran though the entire mission (until I was killed) without a crash. Unbelieving, I did the mission again, Blown out of the sky again but STILL no crash! CAN THIS BE?!?!?!? Once more through. This time I did not die and I let it run until all aircraft landed. NO CRASH! Ok, try a different mission. I went to the HE-111 mission. Sank the ship and got my tail shot off but NO CRASH!!!! YAHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

THen my luck ran out when I exited to the main menu. Dat ole debble jvm.dll showed up again. Still, FOUR COMPLETE MISSIONS WITHOUT A CRASH!!!!!!

Just to make sure it was not a fluke I rebooted and ran it again. I got in three missions this time but it crashed when exiting the third. Today I tried it yet again. Three complete missions but it crashed in the middle of the fourth. This is no fluke.

Oleg, I dont know what you did in that patch but whatever it was struck a mighty blow to that damn jvm.dll error. I think all that is needed now is just a little more of whatever you did and it will be fixed.

If this is possible without screwing up something else:

***PPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEE*** TRY!!!!!!!!

XyZspineZyX
11-21-2003, 01:09 AM
Hi Mejoe,

Glad to see it's working better for you now.

The 99th thread you started on the subject must've fallen off the front page a while ago, but I was just wondering if you ever tried installing the Via 4-in-1 4.40 drivers on your Abit KT7A as I suggested.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/djgwen/fb/worker_parasite.jpg

Need help with NewView? Read this thread. (http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=us_il2sturmovik_gd&id=yzbcj)

XyZspineZyX
11-21-2003, 02:21 AM
I had KT7A RAID in my last machine. IL2 ran fine in it. I think FB ran pretty well too. I do remember, way back, that nothing quite ran well (driver updates always seemd to help only a little) until I updated the BIOS. All of a sudden, changes always resulted in marked improvements. The KT133A chipset seemed pretty flawed until the BIOS change, but I liked the ruggedness and quality of the board and believed I'd get it sorted out some day. Other issues I had were: on-board USB was a bust, and the Audegy sound card was a fairly regular headache. Jim from TrackIR put me onto disabling the USB and adding a card. That solved ALL USB problems. The audegy, I just learned to live with. Sorry I can't help more. I blew up the board installing RAM incorrectly, and I threw a Gygebyte into it before giving the computer away. By the way, ABIT sent me a replacement card for 25$ and said they would have given me one if I could have found the receipt. I gave the new board to the friend who helped me set up the other mobo. Basically, I guess I'm saying I can't provide more info anymore, since I can't test the rig now. Just thought you might dig something out of what I remembered.

XyZspineZyX
11-21-2003, 11:24 AM
Well I'm glad your problem disappeared. And I happen to know where it went! It went straight to my computer!!! I've had the game for about three weeks now. Everything was smooth like baby butt, untill I istalled the new Catalist 3.9. From then on, I've only been able to play the game for about a few minutes at a time, if it didn't crash while loading the game, that is. With that awful jvm.dll error message. I've reformatted the drive since then and installed the old 3.8, but, alas, it doesn't work. Everything else works perfectly... Right now I'm about ready to throw out my comp and get me a new Pentium 4... No more AMD for me. Ever!

Gigabyte GA-7 mobo
XP 2400+
512 Mb RAM
Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro
120 Gb HD
Sound Blaster Live! 1024

HELP! SOS! TQD

XyZspineZyX
11-21-2003, 03:33 PM
Yep Clint I tried the 440 drivers right after you mentioned them. As with As with the other driver changes there was no effect. Boot, 15 minutes or less, crash. Abit recommends 438 drivers. There is a small blurb about this on the Abit driver download page. Some guy in another forum pointed that out. They had no effect either.

Nothing I have tried since March has had the slightest effect on the game until the 1.2 RC. I am still crashing but since 1.2RC I have been able to get in several missions or as above, a couple of hours before the crash. Only one of the crashes has been while flying, the rest have been when exiting to a menu.

Campaigns don't work with 1.2 RC but, for the first time since I bought the sim in March, I am playing Forgotten Battles. I just got through flying about 2 hours on quick mission build; every minute reminding me why I put up with all the back flips and handsprings trying to get this damn thing to run.. No crashing until I exited to the menu. I don't know if Oleg went after the jvm.dll crash on purpose or if this is just a lucky effect from some other fix but there is a DEFINITE HUGE improvement. As a bonus it is once again safe to let the grandchildren in the room with me because my pre 1.2RC table-pounding shrieks of blue profanity have been reduced to an occasional muttered "crap".

Buster_Dee: I bought this board shortly after they came out so I know what you mean about the troubles caused by early BIOS versions but that has been fixed for quite a while. I am now running the last version (forgot the number) modified by Paul (of the unofficial FAQ) to use the latest Highpoint bios (forgot the number of that one too). It has been rock solid until FB came along. The original also IL2 ran fine on this machine. FB not at all until 1.2RC.

Because of tolerance no two "identical" cars from the same assembly line will behave quite the same. Same for these computers. The reason yours ran FB but mine dosent may be something as minor as when the parts man reached in the 10% resistor bin your moboard got one a little high while mine got one a little low thus placing mine a little closer to the edge of the tolerance spread than yours. Of course I am no tech so the trouble could be something else but for now the moboard is the prime suspect.

XyZspineZyX
11-21-2003, 05:05 PM
Please look on this forum about Catalist drivers.
We don't recommend to use that version due to bugs in there...

search the forum other other pages (not so long time ago)
for Rcommended drivers topic posted by me.
And if you have overcloced processor - then you really will have a problem with FB. Overclocked processors discussed in the past and was pointed whey Fb(IL-2) will have a problem due extensive use of mathematics calcualtion and errors that make overclocked processors..

jvm.dll is Jawa DLL. Not our. and we can't change that DLL.
Main things that may cause problem of this dll is the conflict in memory (RAM). Could be others, but it is the main.
You have almost minimum RAM (512 is really do not cover for example the Finnish gulf map) and I hope you have not the slow memory for such processor that you have, and probably use the best gaphics settings, isn' it?
The accumulation of Radeon buggy drivers and low memory is dangerous thing. Be sure.

Rajvosa wrote:
- Well I'm glad your problem disappeared. And I happen
- to know where it went! It went straight to my
- computer!!! I've had the game for about three weeks
- now. Everything was smooth like baby butt, untill I
- istalled the new Catalist 3.9. From then on, I've
- only been able to play the game for about a few
- minutes at a time, if it didn't crash while loading
- the game, that is. With that awful jvm.dll error
- message. I've reformatted the drive since then and
- installed the old 3.8, but, alas, it doesn't work.
- Everything else works perfectly... Right now I'm
- about ready to throw out my comp and get me a new
- Pentium 4... No more AMD for me. Ever!
-
- Gigabyte GA-7 mobo
- XP 2400+
- 512 Mb RAM
- Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro
- 120 Gb HD
- Sound Blaster Live! 1024
-
- HELP! SOS! TQD
-
-
-
-

Oleg Maddox
1C:Maddox Games

XyZspineZyX
11-21-2003, 05:22 PM
Thank you Oleg, I'm honored with your answer!!! My system is not overklocked, and like I said everythig worked A-OK before I installed new drivers. You know, I almost miss the good old Amiga days - no drivers needed and no drivers offered http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. I think actually that the problem is with the mobo/cpu combination. All these problems are driving me towards putting my hard earned dinars on the table and buying an Intel based system...
Well, well, I think I'll tear the system down and check for everything... See, we like your game!

ZG77_Nagual
11-21-2003, 05:25 PM
I use fb to test new gaming systems I build for stability. I do run overclocked and can say for sure FB will crash the pc when nothing else will. It is more intensive in all respects than even 3dmark03 on the graphic card (perfect mode)- and will show artifacts on overclocked graphics cards when 3dmark03 does not. The cat3.8and 3.9 drivers do not handle perfect mode. Ati messed up something with the part of the drivers that handles the water and stuff. Hunter82 over on the tech forum is working with ATI to get it resolved - for now follow the recommendation and use the 3.7s.

FB is an amazing piece of work. I personally have run it on at least 8 different systems of varying degrees of power, different hardware, video etc. And it has run very well on all of them. The thing I've learned is that if there is a problem it's pretty much allways the hardware or an installation problem. The code is amazingly solid.

http://pws.chartermi.net/~cmorey/pics/whiner.jpg

XyZspineZyX
11-21-2003, 05:30 PM
Well, I don't run the game in perfect mode anyways, my comp is a little too weak for that. What I want is a system stable enough to run the game, at any setting at all. So the 3.7 is more stable than the 3.9?

ZG77_Nagual
11-21-2003, 05:38 PM
You might want to bop in over on the tech forum - some very knowlegeable types there.
I had problems in all modes with both the 3.8s and 3.9s though the biggest problems are in perfect. I'd certainly try the 3.7s for starters.

http://pws.chartermi.net/~cmorey/pics/whiner.jpg

XyZspineZyX
11-21-2003, 07:44 PM
Well I have a P4 3.0 gig, 512m ram and an ATI 9800 pro video card. I run the CAT 3.9c drivers from Omega Drivers (www.omegacorner.com) (http://www.omegacorner.com)). ATI has rated the Omega drivers as the best tweaked drivers around. They also do Nvidia drivers, as well. I run my FB on perfect settings and I get no stutter and very good frame rates.

Might want to give Omega Drivers a shot. It couldn't hurt any.

<A HREF="http://www.dyno-tech.com/bravo" TARGET=_blank>http://www.slukklyset.no/RAF662/banners/rafbanner3.jpg

XyZspineZyX
11-22-2003, 04:26 PM
Rajvosa wrote:
All these problems are driving me
- towards putting my hard earned dinars on the table
- and buying an Intel based system...
-
-

Not sure but it seems like almost every AMD user with this crash trouble has VIA chipsets. The NForce 2 folks seem free of it.

One of the things I tried during the struggles was to replace my 512 (2x256) megs of PC133 CAS2 "generic" ram with 512 megs (2x256) Mushkin HP PC133 Rev 2. Better ram than this does not exist. The change made zero difference.

This seems to let the ram itself off the hook but still leaves suspect the moboard chips that handle the ram.

XyZspineZyX
11-22-2003, 08:33 PM
Guys, thanks for all the good ideas! I have solved the problem now, though. What was wrong? Well, Gigabyte includes a little tweak utility with its drivers, called the EasyTune 4. Here you can overklock your FSB, increase CPU and memory voltage and other cool stuff, as well as monitor your system regarding the cpu and system temp and fans speeds. Which is why I used this little program, for monitoring purpose only. Now when I checked it last night I saw that it had, by it self, overklocked my CPU! Sounds crazy, but it's true! Oleg pointed out that this game is particularily sensitive to overklocked CPU, so I uninstalled EasyTune altogether. And guess what? The FB ran perfectly, I sat for six hours and flew till my eyes bled (yes my neck hurts too)! This also addressed some other stability issues that I've had in the past. I just hate those friggin underdeveloped little programs that completely smurf up your computer and you have to spend hours and hours looking for the culprit. Guess I won't be throwing my computer through the window after all!

Cheers!