PDA

View Full Version : Sailing into ports is not realistic

Tomus
07-14-2005, 03:49 AM
I think that sailing into main ports and torpedoing ships just simply isn't realistic. This rarely happened in WWII. Now its too easy and tempting just to slip and and blast a few stationary T3 tankers and bugger off.

The war was fought in the Atlantic it was simply too dangerous for Uboats to enter Allied ports. (Prien excepted)

CorruptAssassin
07-14-2005, 03:58 AM
LMAO, so Ubisoft finally bow to public pressure to add habour traffic in enemy ports, only for people such as Tomus to complain about it....

Poor guys, they can never win.....

SchroeterU-123
07-14-2005, 04:33 AM
Hi
CorruptAssassin I agree with you there will be always people that are never satisfy for instance if they put the wolf packs there will be people that will say that the AI subs are stealing there kills http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif common people lets all thank the great DEVTEAM for the inclusion of harbour traffic and lets all hope that they dont stay only by this and also includ next time wolf packs,etc.Keep up the good work http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Jester_159th
07-14-2005, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by Tomus:
I think that sailing into main ports and torpedoing ships just simply isn't realistic. This rarely happened in WWII. Now its too easy and tempting just to slip and and blast a few stationary T3 tankers and bugger off.

The war was fought in the Atlantic it was simply too dangerous for Uboats to enter Allied ports. (Prien excepted)

Simple answer then.....Don't do it.

JU88
07-14-2005, 04:59 AM
Oh god, i agree with the above two. Look here are few points.

Yes it was rare for a Uboat to sneak in to an allied port, but it did happend on a few occasions, (cough cough* Scapa flow - Hms Royal oak)

Would you rather the ports were all completley empty like in 1.3 and below?? is THAT MORE realistic???

Ask yourself, Was the number of ships I sank on my last patrol realistic???

The games (yes it is a game) difficulty has to be balanced when you take in to account that you are pretty much the entire german navy.

Hint: games are suppossed to be fun, realism is not always fun. Ok so its a "simulation" but its still a 'game' in the larger scale of things.
Sneaking in to an enermy port might be a bit unrealistic but its fun, using the Uboats toilet and having breakfast with the crew would be realistic, but not much fun.

VikingGrandad
07-14-2005, 06:06 AM

I agree with this. I think some of you have not understood what Tomus is perhaps trying to say. There is nothing wrong with having a realistic presence of ships in ports - the problem is that it's too easy/unrealistic to sneak in and sink a load of shipping.

If the game made sneaking into an enemy port much riskier, then successfully doing so and sinking some ships would be all the more rewarding. This would make the game more realistic AND improve the realism, challenge and enjoyment of a port attack.

In WW2, I suspect U-boat captains (or the Kriegsmarine admiralty) mostly avoided port attacks because of the high probability of losing the boat and its crew. In SH3, if we mess up such an attack, we can just load our last saved game and try again. We can afford to take these risks in the name of gameplay and experimentation.

Siliconchild
07-14-2005, 06:26 AM
I went into Loch Ewe in mid 40 and there was at least 5 to 10 warships around the entrace and 20km out to sea. Inside another 7 to 10 from Elco to flowers, hunt II etc. Only one T2 and a small merch. Took a long time to get in, and even longer to get out. As far as the balance between gameplay and real life goes, this is pretty good. Maybe every port is different at different times, but I know that I won't take hours of my game time to check out another port, unless I get ordered there.
Maybe Halifax since I only live 3 hours away in real life and both my grandfathers shipped out of Halifax in WWII. Pretty sure I don't want to make the trip in my little VIIB.
Sure the game has flaws and bugs and pushes the limits of history, but it's a video game, and a fairly good one at that. If we get lucky and they make a SH4, I am sure they will improve on what we have now.
The more I play this game, the more I want to play. I keep finding little details that blow me away and make it interesting all over again. I am early in my first game, and can't wait to see what comes next.
Siliconchild.

doug.d
07-14-2005, 06:33 AM
The more dimensions added to the game, the greater the enjoyment opportunities. Ports are a fun dimension and that's what counts. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

As inexperienced U-boat Kapts we should remain at or near the bottom of the U-boat Aces career tonnage list, anything else is unrealistic, so maybe we should stop sinking so many ships? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Cpt_Walrus
07-14-2005, 06:36 AM
I would have liked it if they made it more difficult to sneak into port to sink ships..and if you manage to sink ships in port you should be given more renown then what you would receive sinking ships in open ocean.I'm so glad they did put ships in port,but they should just change it a bit...so no complaints this side just some suggestions. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

marino2005
07-14-2005, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by VikingGrandad:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tomus:

I agree with this. I think some of you have not understood what Tomus is perhaps trying to say. There is nothing wrong with having a realistic presence of ships in ports - the problem is that it's too easy/unrealistic to sneak in and sink a load of shipping.

If the game made sneaking into an enemy port much riskier, then successfully doing so and sinking some ships would be all the more rewarding. This would make the game more realistic AND improve the realism, challenge and enjoyment of a port attack.

In WW2, I suspect U-boat captains (or the Kriegsmarine admiralty) mostly avoided port attacks because of the high probability of losing the boat and its crew. In SH3, if we mess up such an attack, we can just load our last saved game and try again. We can afford to take these risks in the name of gameplay and experimentation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a hidden realism tweak in the game. Don't load saved games http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

doug.d
07-14-2005, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by Cpt_Walrus:
if you manage to sink ships in port you should be given more renown then what you would receive sinking ships in open ocean.

Excellent point, Prien's renown is boundless, even 60 years on when people think U-boats they think Prien, even though he was not the top scoring ace. SH3 should give 'bonus' renown for unusual achievements e.g. a 200k ton patrol http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif or unusual acts of daring/bravery/dedication e.g. tackling a dozen DD's to get at 1 vital tanker at achorage in port.

Siliconchild
07-14-2005, 07:13 AM
If I die, I am dead, no save game reload. I used saved games to pick up where I left off. So far so good, on my 8th patrol in late 41, but I don't have much hopes for the future. From reading things here and on other sub sites I try to play as careful as I can. Long stalks, close shots, avoid planes, run like hell when the DE show up. On my fist patrol I found one convoy with only a VW, so I risked it and got a kill at 600m. That was the one and only time I took any warship out.
I am not sure how far I can make it before the luck runs out. Next game the settings get cranked up to the 90's, but I am keeping my event camera, as I find it adds a little extra eye candy. I am not sure if I will start back in 39 or pick up where my first Capt died. I am thinking I might just pick up where he died, other wise I might never see any sub other than a VIIB\C.
The one death rule keeps me nervous and makes the game just a bit more interesting, but that is just me.
Siliconchild.

HimmelJaeger
07-14-2005, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by JU88:
Oh god, i agree with the above two. Look here are few points.

Yes it was rare for a Uboat to sneak in to an allied port, but it did happend on a few occasions, (cough cough* Scapa flow - Hms Royal oak)

Would you rather the ports were all completley empty like in 1.3 and below?? is THAT MORE realistic???

Ask yourself, Was the number of ships I sank on my last patrol realistic???

The games (yes it is a game) difficulty has to be balanced when you take in to account that you are pretty much the entire german navy.

Hint: games are suppossed to be fun, realism is not always fun. Ok so its a "simulation" but its still a 'game' in the larger scale of things.
Sneaking in to an enermy port might be a bit unrealistic but its fun, using the Uboats toilet and having breakfast with the crew would be realistic, but not much fun.

lol, I think it would rock to eat breakfast wit hthe crew of a German U-boat. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Max_Height
07-14-2005, 10:30 AM

depends on the realism percentage you play under, but I think not being able of sneaking into ports under, let's say, 75% of realism ? could be a solution. To play SH under 65% is not very much fun, better watch "Das Boot" on TV http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif