View Full Version : Computer upgrade time - followup

08-08-2006, 07:22 AM
Back in June sometime I posted a topic here. I was talking about some upcoming price cuts in the Pentium 4 and Athlon 64 lines or processors, because of the coming release of the Conroe processors. They're here now. Pentium D (dual core) processor prices have dropped through the floor! Some of them are under $100. The Athlon 64 single and dual core processors have dropped in price massively as well.

If you have a computer that uses one of these processors, now is the time to thing about upgrading it! These processors are all going away. P4 processors will slowly transition out, gradually giving way to the Conroe and whatever its upcoming quad core (!) successor is (that's supposed to be released early next year). The Socket 939 Athlon 64s official end-of-life is Dec 31st of this year. The distributers will not be able to buy any more of the processors after the end of this year.

I realise that many of you cannot buy it yourself, either due to age, financial limitations, or both. However, it's something to think about. Save money, talk to your parents, or whatever. If you can upgrade now while it's cheap, the system as a whole can last another year or two before becoming obsolete.

I found an Athlon 64 X2 4800+ for $288.40 plus shipping yesterday, and I ordered it. It was $632 before the price cuts. Think about it.

08-08-2006, 07:49 AM
I dont prefer installing a processor on the motherboard. I get somebody else to do it and assemble the pieces http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

08-08-2006, 09:36 AM
I got my new AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ about a week ago, replacing my old X2 3800+. This was done to be futureproof, without having to OC the CPU. The price tag was "235 and I sold my old CPU for 100, so I bought myself an awesome CPU for 135". I would've gotten the X2 4800+ if they didn't stop selling it in here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

08-08-2006, 11:03 AM
Yes, I see newegg has the X2 4800 for 350.00 wich I plan on getting in Oct, but from the sound of it they'll even be cheaper by then.

08-08-2006, 11:31 AM
I wouldn't wait if I were you. AMD officially announced that they discontinued the X2 2MB cache series, aka the 4400+ and 4800+.

08-08-2006, 02:38 PM
www.mwave.com (http://www.mwave.com) , that's where I found the 4800+ for 288. That's why I got it there instead of newegg. Newegg sold their entire stock of Socket 939 dual core processors within 2 days of the price cuts hitting, and they went up by $50+ each when they got them back in stock a few days later.

08-08-2006, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Chimera87:
I wouldn't wait if I were you. AMD officially announced that they discontinued the X2 2MB cache series, aka the 4400+ and 4800+.

That means the prices are going to go Up rather than down, right?

08-08-2006, 04:18 PM
Possibly, but it depends on demand. The 1 MB L2 cache processors stopped being manufactured at the end of July. July 31st was the last day for the distributors to order them. If the existing inventory of those processors hangs around, the price will drop to encourage people to buy them. However, if the demand stays up, the price will climb as people are willing to pay more than others to own them.

The 512 KB processors can be ordered by distributors through the end of this year, so they should still be available early next year, though again prices will fluctuate depending on the demand.

My recommendation is ask yourself if you plan on building or buying a new computer in the near future. If you are, wait for the Conroes and get one of them. If not, upgrade your CPU to the biggest one the motherboard will support and you're willing/capable of buying. That'll put off the next computer for as long as possible.

08-09-2006, 09:43 AM
I got the 4600+ in stead of the 4800+, simply because no "real" internet shop had the 4800+ no more. I just decided to then get the 4600+ and be safe in the future.

08-09-2006, 09:46 AM
I know. I thought I was going to have to get the 4600+ as well, for the same reason. Newegg had them for a while, but they were still $450+ and I wasn't willing to pay that much for the extra cache. Sunday night I checked mwave (to make sure the price on the 4600 hadn't changed) and saw they were expecting some 4800+ processors the next day, for a great price, so I waited and ordered as soon as they were available. Living in the US I have an easier time getting computer components than you do in Europe.

08-09-2006, 09:59 AM
True http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif. I wished I could've gotten the 4800+ or even the 4400+.

08-09-2006, 11:14 AM
I must ask: I have been saving for a while and originally was going to dedicate my next upgrade to going for a DDR2 Conroe supporting Motherboard.

I currently have 2GB of DDR RAM with an AMD Athlon 3700. I want other's opinions on if it would be a good idea to continue to upgrade my current system or jsut continue my saving until I can just go all out on a new overhaul?

08-09-2006, 11:35 AM
I just read an article on Anandtech, where they tested out an AsRock motherboard which used regular DDR with a Conroe processor, and it worked very well. I personally would recommend waiting for the Conroe, since that's what you planned on anyway. I wasn't going to build an entirely new computer for a couple of years, which is why I wanted the processor upgrade.


08-09-2006, 11:37 AM
quillian: Thanks for the good info...

Sparepart-time for old riggs! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Getting spareparts to keep being able to play old games is a must really. Take that as a sound advice from me guys and gals.
Ive not been able to play quite a few of my old games hadnt it been for my habit of keeping my old rigs and gather a small amount of spareparts for the same.

Psychic: Save your coin for now. Its better to wait until the phase-out is over with. Your current rig should be able to run most of the games you wanna play for a while more.
If you need to boost your current riggs prestanda in any way id consider ram-boosting really. Thats about it.

08-09-2006, 11:57 AM
EDIT: NVM it has like 1 fps difference.

08-09-2006, 12:18 PM
Im just wondering how long a X2 4800 would last for gaming.

08-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Quite a while, I would guess. The processor runs at 2.4 Ghz by default, which is the same speed as the single core 4000+. That was the most powerful non-FX series single core processor AMD made. I'm still running very well on a single core 3000+, stock speed of 1.8 Ghz, so this will be a 33% increase in clock speed plus a second core. I don't expect to have to rebuild for at least 2 years, barring some catastrophic component failure.

By the way, it just showed up on FedEx. Time to swap processors tonight!

08-09-2006, 03:16 PM
a 4800+ can easily be clocked above 3Ghz, IIRC. Just add in a new cooler.

08-09-2006, 04:21 PM
Thermalright XP90. That's what I have on it already. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

08-09-2006, 04:22 PM
Yea I was thinking about water cooling, I got my 3500+ Oc'd to 2.5 on stock though.

08-11-2006, 08:06 AM
Intel has just announced the End-of-Life dates on the Pentium D dual-core processors. Distributor orders last day is Dec 15 of this year, and they stop shipping Feb 8 of next year.

08-11-2006, 09:30 AM
I won't OC, untill it's really necessary.

OC-ing reduces lifespan of the CPU or GPU. I won't OC untill I need it.