PDA

View Full Version : Visual Tracking / Padlocking in IL2

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 05:27 AM
Hi

Thinking of getting IL2 Original or IL2 Forgotten Battles.

In the IL2 world, when a player requests a view locked to the target, does the view sweep quickly to that position or "pop" instantly to it?

Jane's WWII Fighters, which I have, only "pops "to it. (Unless there's a setting I haven't found.) That means if there's none of the cockpit visible in the field of view when the view has popped to the target, you can't tell which direction you're looking in, so the programme has to tell you which way to turn to get it in your sights, with a cheater arrow, and you remain disoriented until part of the cockpit comes into view. You can move the view around with your mouse, but then you don't have a hand free for adjusting flaps etc.

Seems to me that if a view swished across the cockpit to look at the target, the player would remain oriented through all the viewing.

Does IL2 do that?

Downloading the demo to find out, but the full range of settings isn't always available.

Thanks for any info.

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 05:27 AM
Hi

Thinking of getting IL2 Original or IL2 Forgotten Battles.

In the IL2 world, when a player requests a view locked to the target, does the view sweep quickly to that position or "pop" instantly to it?

Jane's WWII Fighters, which I have, only "pops "to it. (Unless there's a setting I haven't found.) That means if there's none of the cockpit visible in the field of view when the view has popped to the target, you can't tell which direction you're looking in, so the programme has to tell you which way to turn to get it in your sights, with a cheater arrow, and you remain disoriented until part of the cockpit comes into view. You can move the view around with your mouse, but then you don't have a hand free for adjusting flaps etc.

Seems to me that if a view swished across the cockpit to look at the target, the player would remain oriented through all the viewing.

Does IL2 do that?

Downloading the demo to find out, but the full range of settings isn't always available.

Thanks for any info.

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 05:40 AM
bdigger wrote:
- Hi
-
- Thinking of getting IL2 Original or IL2 Forgotten
- Battles.
-
- In the IL2 world, when a player requests a view
- locked to the target, does the view sweep quickly to
- that position or "pop" instantly to it?
-
Neither, it has to be in your field of vision to start with, then puts a triangle around it, then keeps it in your field of vision, but doesn't really center it, but follows it around, keeping it within your field of vision, depending on how the two planes are moving relative to each other. If if goes around behind you (leaving your vision), your view snaps around to the other side, anticipating the plane showing up there. If it doesn't, you've lost it, if it does, you get padlock.

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 06:04 AM
Also, after you padlock your target you can't use the hatswitch to change your view. It will remain padlocked on the target. But there is a "look ahead" key which will break padlock and allow you to use the hatswitch again. This is especially useful when groundpounding. If you keep padlock on your ground target then when you fly over it you'll end up looking at the cockpit floor! Not a good idea when flying at 50m /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

¿€¯ c*, ¿€¯ c*, ¿€¯ ¿¤ (´ ¿¤).

¿€¯ c*, ¿€¯ c*, µ³ ¿* €ç€ c*.

(You will need the Korean character set to view this sig.)

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 06:19 AM
So if I understand correctly, you have to find the plane first with the view-finding tools - mouse scrolling around or pointing the plane around or the hat or arrow keys, and then padlock the view to that target.

In Jane's WW2 sim, there's a kind of prompter that identifies an approaching target, and then you pop the view to it and lock to it (and get disoriented often.)

I guess in IL2 you have to find it first yourself always then? That handles the orientation problem, but with multiple planes in a dogfight it gets tricky to find plane number 2 after you've downed plane number three and have one hand on the stick and the other operating the flaps, and the hat keys are pokey for swivelling around the view.

With Jane's you hit return and it jumps to the view of the next target - handy and what you'd do if you were just swivelling your head quickly and could hear where the other plane was. Except that when the view pops, you often don't know where you're looking.

I guess the general question is - how do you easily switch between views of mulitple enemy target planes in a dogfight the way you'd look around with your head, and still keep your hands free to operate the throttle and flaps and guns?

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 06:34 AM
You can set the speed custom in the conf.ini file for padlock swing speed.