PDA

View Full Version : Throttle problems in 1.11

XyZspineZyX
09-12-2003, 09:16 PM
In my p39, I have noticed that when I am coming into land, reducing the throttle doesn't change my airspeed to much, and there is no correlating sound change from full throttle to idle(or its a very small one).

I usually have to drop flaps and gear and do some hard Gs to bleed of airspeed.

I have noticed this problem in a few other planes.

And no I am not diving for the runway to keep my speed up...

XyZspineZyX
09-12-2003, 09:16 PM
In my p39, I have noticed that when I am coming into land, reducing the throttle doesn't change my airspeed to much, and there is no correlating sound change from full throttle to idle(or its a very small one).

I usually have to drop flaps and gear and do some hard Gs to bleed of airspeed.

I have noticed this problem in a few other planes.

And no I am not diving for the runway to keep my speed up...

XyZspineZyX
09-12-2003, 09:31 PM
I believe this bug has been reported, but not corrected. I just what you do, use prop pitch, and advanced planning to counter it.

All the best, Don

XyZspineZyX
09-13-2003, 02:54 PM
Reduce your RPM after lowering throttle.

-----------
Due to pressure from the moderators, the sig returns to..

"It's the machine, not the man." - Materialist, and proud of it!

XyZspineZyX
09-13-2003, 04:14 PM
Here is what baffles me. Everyone wants realism. Slowing down a real airplane for a landing takes time, and is accomplished in steps. Try flying a standard traffic pattern approach. Reduce throttle on downwind, flaps when abeam touchdown point, flaps, and turn base, last flaps on final using throttle to keep good pitch attitude, flare, and land.

Its more real now than it ever was, but still people will complain if a screw is missing from the cockpit.

Good Luck,
Tsisqua

http://www.uploadit.org/files/010903-nedChristie.jpg

Tsalagi Asgaya Equa!

XyZspineZyX
09-13-2003, 04:22 PM
ater you throttle down on your approch change the Prop pitch to 0 it will help you bleed speed & decelerate the engine Im not sure if thats realistic or not but it will help you slow down......

PS also try using take off or combat flaps only that helps me (depends on the plane yer in)

Good Luck

<center> http://www.onpoi.net/ah/pics/users/ah_109_1063229517.jpg </center>

XyZspineZyX
09-13-2003, 05:04 PM
It's much closer to real now than it used to be.

That said, personally I find that I rarely have the time, space or luxury of flying a proper approach in a hot combat zone, so here's how I go about landing the P39:

1. Survive long enough to get back to the runway.

2. About a mile from the runway, hopefully no more than about 500 feet above (~150m), pull the throttle back to idle. You can be as fast as 350 at this point.

3. Combat flaps, bleed speed, take off flaps, bleed some more, and then go to landing flaps.

4. Gear down once you get it down to about 250.

5. Engine off. This creates a lot of drag.

6. Forward slip if needed, point the nose down and aim for about 150-200 feet short of the end of the runway.

7. Speed should now be down to around 180-200 at this point. Start transitioning as you get closer to the end of the runway. You'll be carrying extra speed, which is why you aimed short. The speed will make you float.

8. Hold it level down the runway, each time it sinks a bit give some more back pressure to hold it just above the ground.

9. Try to set down on the mains, and as soon as they touch, raise flaps completely. Touchdown speed will be around 150-160.

10. Stand on the brakes, and carefully use right/left rudder as necessary to maintain centerline.

This should get you down within the first 1/3 of the runway and stopped within about the first half.

If you're higher or faster than that when you start, or your position is off, you'll use up more runway, obviously. I've managed to not touch down until the second half of the runway and still stop in time, but it's close.

XyZspineZyX
09-13-2003, 05:17 PM
BinaryFalcon wrote:
Alot of VERY good advice.

If you were to "unwrap" the traffic pattern approach, you would have a good "straight-in" approach.

Here is a trick if you want to land in HURRY.

Come in low, and fast, and buzz the entire length of the runway. travel about one runway length farther, and begin a slow loop. At the top of the loop, cut throttle,give her full landing flaps, and extend your gear, your airspeed will have been bled off by the (half) loop. Roll your plane (because at the top of the loop you were inverted), and glide her to a landing.*

*note: this extremely dangerous manuever will kill you if you do not practice offline a bit. I wouldn't recomend doing this in a real plane. . . ever!*

http://www.uploadit.org/files/010903-nedChristie.jpg

Tsalagi Asgaya Equa!

Message Edited on 09/13/0312:19PM by tsisqua