PDA

View Full Version : S3TC Texture compression versus no texture compression

Yskonyn23
01-18-2005, 04:13 AM
Hi guys,

Something is confusing me here.
The manual states that S3TC has the highest quality, but the readme tells us that s3TC speeds up frames per second at the cost of detail.

In IL-2 Manager, the s3tc option is accompanied by a 'high detail' label, supporting the statement in the manual.. which is it now?!

I took two screenshots, on with s3tc and one with no tex. compr. (I have a Asus V8420 (GF4 Ti4200 128MB) with the 56.72 drivers from Asus, but I couldn't see any difference in detail on either of the screenies.
S3TC ON does make the stutter less, in fact gets rid of it most of the time.

Can anyone shed some light into this topic.
If s3TC is higher detail, then what exactly does it improve and if s3tc is quite the opposite, then what does it decrease?

OldMan____
01-18-2005, 04:41 AM
texture compression like S3TC, diminishes the sizes of the textures, so your graphic card will have to move much less data around.. so it is faster. But this comes with a price of quality loss in texture. It is there, but unless you know where to look for it you won't notice it.

Capt.LoneRanger
01-18-2005, 04:59 AM
The 'high detail'-statement is not a lie or something. It is labeled 'high detail *compression*', what means, that this compression mode preserves more image-quality than other compression modes. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

SeaFireLIV
01-18-2005, 05:09 AM
Well, all I can do is explain what I`ve just discovered with ST3C.

Before, I always had ST3C on and it does help speed up the sim a bit (gives me around 5+ fps). Whenever I had perfect with ST3C mode on I could see the extra water detail and longer distances, but something didn`t feel right, the landscape looked a little plain.

So, just the other day, I decided to try with ST3C mode off with Perfect and suddenly I saw dozens of TREES all over the landscape! And I`m not just talking about the default forests, I mean bunches of trees along roads and in open spaces. This is what I`d been missing... Flying over the land is MUCH more interesting now and looks more real.

Just my 2 bits.

Yskonyn23
01-18-2005, 08:14 AM
I don't see how a compression of textures would affect 3d objects like trees suddenly popup.
Are you sure you didn't tinker with the forrest=x option?

Ah ok http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif It's the 'high detail compression' option! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif LOL.
Anyway thanks for clarifying.

zjulik
01-18-2005, 08:24 AM
With those trees you can pull the ol` tree trick: When someone is on your six, fly through a tree or two to create some comfusion. They are not solid objects, just graphic decoration.

Only works once though.

VW-IceFire
01-18-2005, 08:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
Well, all I can do is explain what I`ve just discovered with ST3C.

Before, I always had ST3C on and it does help speed up the sim a bit (gives me around 5+ fps). Whenever I had perfect with ST3C mode on I could see the extra water detail and longer distances, but something didn`t feel right, the landscape looked a little plain.

So, just the other day, I decided to try with ST3C mode off with Perfect and suddenly I saw dozens of TREES all over the landscape! And I`m not just talking about the default forests, I mean bunches of trees along roads and in open spaces. This is what I`d been missing... Flying over the land is MUCH more interesting now and looks more real.

Just my 2 bits. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mmmm thats not right I think. Maybe you changed something else too.

I'm runing S3TC compression and I've got a truckload of trees. Thats forest=2 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Extreme_One
01-18-2005, 08:48 AM
Yeah I get loads of trees with Forest=3 (and 2) and S3TC compression enabled.

SeaFireLIV
01-18-2005, 08:50 AM
Well, I don`t get it, because I didn`t change the forest settings at all! Never have.

Someone posted here saying that ST3C was **** because although it allowed a smoother/faster game but it made the graphics look rubbish. I wondered what the difference could be so I quit out, switched ST3C to nothing and restarted - Voila! Trees everywhere!

I`m only saying it like it happened.

SeaFireLIV
01-18-2005, 08:53 AM
ok, just had a look in my Confi and its on Forest=2, as normal. Nothing changed.

I`m going to switch to Forest 3, though, for even more! Still a bit puzzled about why I had no trees until I changed ST3C to nothing...

TheGozr
01-18-2005, 11:02 AM
16 bit work better , faster to me.