PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 or the PS3?

Real720
04-23-2006, 08:45 AM
I personally think that both systems will play Vegas really well. The 360 might have slightly better graphics with AA, whereas the PS3 will have a slightly better cpu performance in general.

Spec260
04-24-2006, 05:36 PM
They will look exactly the same I think. Is there any clue as to what console Vegas will come out for first or will it be on both at the same time? From what I read ps3 will have vegas as a launch title so will sony try to hold on to it for a while first or what.

I dont remember if the older r6 games launched all at the same time or did they go on one console first?

Choke_A_Smurf
04-24-2006, 05:45 PM
Depending on when Vegas and the PS3 launch, it certainly could be one of it's launch titles.

Catpuss
04-28-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Real720:
I personally think that both systems will play Vegas really well. The 360 might have slightly better graphics with AA, whereas the PS3 will have a slightly better cpu performance in general.

There will almost certianly be very little in it. Both machines have pretty much the same performance but what will dictate it will be the development libraries. If getting that extra 1% performance advantage over the other console is going to cost a quater of a million it ain't going to get done.
The big decisive factor will be if Sony make a hash job of their on line play or not.

MS have alot of networking capability as part of the system but the 360 certainly seems more prone to loosing network connections. So less work for developers but more frustration for players.

I wouldn't be supprised if the PS3 offering starts of mediocre and quickly catches up with Xbox Live though. Sony know where they have to gun for and they don't want anything less than total domination of the home console market.

Hatchetforce
05-01-2006, 08:51 PM
Sony knows where they have to go, and MS has done a lot of work for them. Still, that isn't the same as having a tried and true world wide network. I wouldn't bet on Sony having a great service until R6 Six comes out. It will take more than a few months. Developers can't develop for a structure that is still on the drawing board.

I have a PS3 reserved, but I don't expect them (Sony) to catch up anytime soon. My plan has always been to pick it up for the 360 where it will be equally imressive but with what is for me the best controller.

Spec260
05-01-2006, 09:56 PM
PS3 is supposed to have free online play whitch I hope makes MS have to let live silver members play online free and gold members get more than just the ability to play online over silver.

I like the xbox controller better than playstations but if my live subscription ends before vegas is out ill get it for ps3 instead for free online. Plus I heard ps3 supports kb/m, UT2K7 is going to allow it on the PS3 so im sure a lot of other companys will follow to compete.

Anyone know if Vegas will allow kb/m on the PS3? And for you that think that would be unfair have no worry because im positive there would be a filter to join kb/m only, controller only games.

Hatchetforce
05-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Spec260:
PS3 is supposed to have free online play whitch I hope makes MS have to let live silver members play online free and gold members get more than just the ability to play online over silver.

I like the xbox controller better than playstations but if my live subscription ends before vegas is out ill get it for ps3 instead for free online. Plus I heard ps3 supports kb/m, UT2K7 is going to allow it on the PS3 so im sure a lot of other companys will follow to compete.

Anyone know if Vegas will allow kb/m on the PS3? And for you that think that would be unfair have no worry because im positive there would be a filter to join kb/m only, controller only games.

I think you will find that the PS3 will be free online for legacy titles and there will be a free portion similar to Xbox Live Silver. But even Ken Kutaragi said free online gaming was coming to an end and it is likely the main online features will carry a charge.

Sony is going to take a whopper of a loss. Let's say the console sells for what PSM said, $399 US. The machine costs a lot to make. But just for the sake of argument let's say a really cheap number, $599 US. Sony said they were aiming for 6 million consoles sold by May of 2006. That is a loss of $1.2 billion just on consoles. Now they are going to put up a worldwide network for free? Somewhere they have to recoup R&D costs, console costs, online service costs, and sundries such as advertising. Selling copies of 60-70 dollar games won't do it. And BTW, Blu-Ray discs are expensive so I don't expect $49 games.

Likely the console costs a lot more to make. Closer to $800 US and consumers will likely pay more than $399. Even IGN called BS on the PSM story.

Personally I am still not convinced the PS3 will arrive this fall. The top console title for Sony is SOCOM. Right now Zipper is working on maps for SOCOM III, SOCOM FTB 2, and SOCOM 4 for the PS2. I really do not see their team pushing out a PS3 title at the same time. So Sony is going to launch their console and their top online title doesn't launch with it? Curious.

Also, Sony has a habit of BSing right up until they finally tell the truth. Remember when Sony Europe stated it would be delayed till the fall? Sony refuted that several times. The last time was the day before they announced the delay. As Hamlet said, "There is something rotten in the state of Denmark"

Catpuss
05-02-2006, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Hatchetforce:

I think you will find that the PS3 will be free online for legacy titles and there will be a free portion similar to Xbox Live Silver. But even Ken Kutaragi said free online gaming was coming to an end and it is likely the main online features will carry a charge.

Ouch, sounds like a bit of a sharp practice to me, advertising free on line gamining them limiting it to games that people won't want to play in 6 months time.

Sony is going to take a whopper of a loss. Let's say the console sells for what PSM said, $399 US. The machine costs a lot to make. But just for the sake of argument let's say a really cheap number, $599 US. Sony said they were aiming for 6 million consoles sold by May of 2006. That is a loss of $1.2 billion just on consoles. Now they are going to put up a worldwide network for free? Somewhere they have to recoup R&D costs, console costs, online service costs, and sundries such as advertising. Selling copies of 60-70 dollar games won't do it. And BTW, Blu-Ray discs are expensive so I don't expect $49 games.

Likely the console costs a lot more to make. Closer to $800 US and consumers will likely pay more than $399. Even IGN called BS on the PSM story.

I suspect they will drop the price a bit to undercut the 360 on principle as they don't have the initial lead this time. They are pretty much throwing all in with the PS3, it *has* to succeed for them else Blu Ray fails too which could be a hit Sony may never recover from fully.

I guess a cheap intial console launch coupled with a strong line up of first games will allow them to recouperate on attachment of in house software on sales. Say you knock 25 off a console then sell games for 50 there is a good chance they may spend that extra 25 over the original price on an extra game at launch.

Then you add the old trick of providing a next to useless video cable and sell an upgrade at a high price as accessory sales usually do until third party kit comes out.

Personally I am still not convinced the PS3 will arrive this fall. The top console title for Sony is SOCOM. Right now Zipper is working on maps for SOCOM III, SOCOM FTB 2, and SOCOM 4 for the PS2. I really do not see their team pushing out a PS3 title at the same time. So Sony is going to launch their console and their top online title doesn't launch with it? Curious.

I bought SOCOM III for my PS2 last week (its been lying around for a year with only an eye toy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. Good grief the game looks like something that wouldn't be out of place on the Atari ST let alone a PS2. I couldn't belive how crude it looks. It also seems to play very arcady (sort of conflict desert storm feel to it). I think its going to get a very quick trade in.

Also, Sony has a habit of BSing right up until they finally tell the truth.

Amen to that. + their "oh yes this is in game footage" BS and the "Toy Story" graphics. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Remember when Sony Europe stated it would be delayed till the fall? Sony refuted that several times. The last time was the day before they announced the delay. As Hamlet said, "There is something rotten in the state of Denmark"

They should stick to CRTs. They do very nice CRTs.

Hatchetforce
05-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Un less the attachment is a prerequisite, Sony can't make money off of it. An example would be memory cards - one of Sony's biggest money makers on the PS2. There are just too many areas to lose and it is too much money for Sony to have a cheap console.

As I said, mine is reserved, but I will be one of the few as they (analysts) are expecting launch figures in terms of available units, to be lower than Microsoft.

Choke_A_Smurf
05-02-2006, 07:33 PM
quote:

Ouch, sounds like a bit of a sharp practice to me, advertising free on line gamining them limiting it to games that people won't want to play in 6 months time.
That's Sony for ya. Saying one thing and meaning the other.

Catpuss
05-03-2006, 05:54 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hatchetforce:
Un less the attachment is a prerequisite, Sony can't make money off of it. An example would be memory cards - one of Sony's biggest money makers on the PS2. There are just too many areas to lose and it is too much money for Sony to have a cheap console.
[QUOTE]
Yep its a gamble without fixed attachment, but I bet most initial console sales will be bundles only. Unless, of course, the shops don't want told off for pushing their bundles down people's throats.

The Japanese do have a different ethos when producing, seemingly more towards production and long term than immediate profit. IIRC Sony are planning to shed thousands of jobs over the next few years to try and move into profit so they may well be going all in "win or bust".

If their intial hit into the market plays off and they do well enough to make MS think twice about the home console market then they will win long term. The question is, will MS cash in and move to another home product long term or go for the long haul and leave Sony thinking that the games console market is too tight.

In the end the answer will probably come out of some Analyst self promoting press release, i.e. take the opposite of what they say http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif