PDA

View Full Version : Have A Piece Of Candy

nelson92506
01-28-2010, 11:36 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif "Have a piece of eye-candy, little girl?" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

You're being hoodwinked. Silent Hunter V is not a simulation like SHIII and SHIV. Why does the war end in 1943? Why are the Type VII U-Boats the only u-boats in the game? It's because the purpose of SHV is not to be a simulation. Its purpose is something entirely different. SHV is going to teach you something:

"I mean, we're using the campaign to teach the player why certain events happened in the world, they're no longer just happening, they're happening because of some actions the player took or didn't take, or some result that the player achieved." (From an subsim interview with Dan Dimitrescu, Lead Design on Silent Hunter 5)

You don't need a sim of the entire war when we are going to teach you something. That's way more important.

Anytime somebody teaches you anything it is usually their opinion or their view of the world. The only time it isn't is when they are writing an instruction manual. Even then it is usually their opinion on the best way to do something.

Another quote of Dan's in the same interview(italacs are mine):

"You are able to interact with your crew, they have some storyline, a personal side so you can see how the war actually affects them and how they viewed the world thru their own eyes. So, there's also a much more important personal side to the game, not just the war, not just the mechanical side, which doesn't lose its importance to us, but there's also the personal side to the war, and to the game."

You're not getting the whole war or more u-boat types because the personal side of the war is more important!

And those pretty screenshots?

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif Take a bite of the pretty red apple. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

davewave82
01-29-2010, 12:11 AM
LMFAO
Hope I don't get suspended for that acronym but it sounds like we've all had enough and I'm over Silent hunter now.
We should like just all boycot it, not buy it and their sales will halve.
Do you see any dev reps coming on here saying "oh don't worry, no no no, you all have the wrong idea, it will be a good game I promise" ? pffft. I'm going back to play Mass Effect 2, prime, polished and only the SECOND game in the series. Note the capital SECOND not FIFTH

socko2009
01-29-2010, 04:43 AM
So they're going to TEACH us; .....Eh???

Well, ....I'm sure you all know the old axiom: "If you can't DO, ....then TEACH!!"

Hehehehehe!!!

S.

nzoeteman
01-29-2010, 07:28 AM
when we learn something in a game,that s better than we learn in history class.

better than teachers in the Netherlands only thing they know is to say that aldolf was a bad person(i dont say that aldof was a good person) that is the only chapter of history of WII I've had in school

RedTerex
01-29-2010, 07:44 AM
As you play Silent Hunter, you are automatically learning about the U-boat war anyway, by default.

I dont want a deliberate histroy lesson, I want 1945 to be the end of the war, I want more than one boat and I want not to be so disparaged with this blinking franchise every time a new version comes out.

If I was a Dev I would have said, " I dont think our community will be too happy with these ridiculous ideas "
and if this was mentioned then we can only assume that the answer he got was " Well we are doing it anyway and if they dont like it...tough"

pfffft
01-29-2010, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by nzoeteman:

better than teachers in the Netherlands only thing they know is to say that aldolf was a bad person(i dont say that aldof was a good person) that is the only chapter of history of WII I've had in school

That's very unfortunate and would cause a friend of the family to choke if he knew it. Mr. Decker (SP?) was a WW2 veteran of the Dutch Navy in the Pacific when the war broke out. He gave my family a copper coffee pot with burner service that his family in Holland had to bury in their backyard to keep it out of the hands of the Germans. When, as a teen, I began to show some an inclination to collect German Army memorbilia from that era he had a sit down with me. Wanted to make sure it wasn't anything more than an interest in the history of a time gone by, of which he said good riddence. He would agree that history forgotten is history repeated. He was vigilant, as many here in the US are who weren't born here but escaped from a bad situation. Unfortunately more vigilant than many born here.

Malmer_4545
01-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by nzoeteman:

Maybe you just should've paid more attention...