PDA

View Full Version : Can choosing Yessha kill us?

compucat35
07-28-2005, 05:37 AM
Just a thought passed through my mind. Usually if you choose the wrong decision, you may suffer or die. ie shot by arrow, trapped in book, etc.

We've known Yeesha for a while now, being Atrius' daughter. If, for the sake of argument, Yeesha is the wrong choice, do you think that by choosing her we would die? As if listening to a girl we've known all her life AND SAVED her life, would somehow get us killed?

Granted, Dni might fall, or we may be killed by something out of her control, or Esher might then kill us. But I find it hard to believe that she would kill us, or have us killed.

poutrew
07-28-2005, 07:56 AM
*UNLESS*

Myst 5 takes place after Revelation, and her brother fooled us all, and is still in Yeesha, who is therefor not Yeesha. Sorta...

compucat35
07-28-2005, 08:15 AM
LOL...talk about Cyan pulling one over on all of us! What an ending that would be! All of Dni, the family, and the stranger would all die.

JustBrett
07-28-2005, 12:14 PM
At this point we don't even know if we'll be playing the same Stranger as in the previous Myst titles. If EoA is set long after Myst IV, we may be following in the footsteps of someone other than the original friend of the family, so we won't have known Yeesha all her life.

Arnium
07-28-2005, 12:33 PM
Unless time passes differently in the Star Fissure.....

mszv
07-28-2005, 01:41 PM
Gosh, I hope it's still me - the "friend of the family".

I know the stranger thing is big, in some circles, but I've never been a fan of that. I'm always just playing as me. I always think that somehow I just magically got there!

Leehrat21
08-14-2005, 09:15 PM
The ending of the whole family dying and you dying is not as farfetched as you may think, for this is not the end of Myst says Rand( although it most likely is) but it is the end of the stroy of Atrus and his family. So really they and you will most likely die because how horrible would it be if Myst ended with Atrus and his family alive, because as a fan you would know that they are still out there and that there should be a next game. Does anyone agree.

Alahmnat
08-15-2005, 12:34 AM
I strongly disagree that in order to close off a storyline dealing with a person or group of people, it's necessary to kill them all. How often does that actually happen in the movies, and how incredibly depressing is it when that's what happens? Cyan certainly didn't kill off Atrus and Catherine at the end of Riven, but it was an understood conclusion to their story, so the announcement of additional, direct sequels to Myst and Riven (as opposed to Cyan's more "spin-off" effort with Mudpie/Uru) took a lot of us by surprise back in 2000.

Definite spoilers here, so stop reading if you want to be startled by this for the first time in-game...

Atrus, presumably in the introduction to the game, says that he's getting old, and that his sons, his grandmother, his father, and even his wife Catherine are all dead... all he has left is Yeesha, and he fears his burden may overwhelm her. I dare say we probably won't see much of Atrus (if anything at all), but he sounds like he's on his last leg and may simply die of natural causes. Yeesha, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be in any sort of position to die of natural causes right now, and I don't think it's at all necessary to kill her in order to conclude her part in the story. The game could very well end on a positive note, but with no way for you to follow Yeesha any longer.

That said, I am certainly glad that the series has a definite ending... it would be rather a lot more depressing to just watch the games peter out of existence altogether with no real resolute, resounding finale. I think that's something we've sort of been owed since the announcement of Exile, which sort of nixed Riven's "grand finale" ending.

Coronagold
08-15-2005, 07:58 PM
So...........nobody bofs Yeesha? Is it her tattoos? Or her age? Or the fact that she doesn't shave her armpits?

Mowog
08-15-2005, 08:29 PM
I strongly disagree that in order to close off a storyline dealing with a person or group of people, it's necessary to kill them all.

Ever seen "Blackadder?"

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Alahmnat
08-16-2005, 02:13 AM
I didn't say it hasn't been done, I just don't think it's necessary. It's a bit like turning off the TV by putting an axe through the screen http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

poutrew
08-16-2005, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Alahmnat:
I didn't say it hasn't been done, I just don't think it's necessary. It's a bit like turning off the TV by putting an axe through the screen http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

Ummm... what's bad about that? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Seriously, it does sound to me that EOA starts off on a depresssing note if Atrus is telling us everyone in his crazy mixed up family except for his even crazier daughter, is dead. I want to know how his wife died- was it suicide after she found out her boys are dead? If so, perhaps she blames herself for what happened - since we learn in Myst 4 Revelations that she and Atrus were fighting over letting the boys out of prison. She was wrong where Sirrus was concerned.

Gosh, sounds like I may need a Valium after watching Poor Atrus in the opening scenes... makes you think how all this bad s*** can happen to one person, but being in a family where somewhat similar stuff went down over inheretance (decades ago), I have first hand experience how a familial curse can get started and perpetuate through the generations- the sons really can inheret the sins of the fathers, unless they take a special, conscious effort to break the chain of bad karma at he very beginning... it's too bad that Atrus was totaly defensless against this type of phenomena, so it seems to have destroyed him and his progeny.

Darcphaze
08-16-2005, 12:45 PM
Granted, Dni might fall, or we may be killed by something out of her control, or Esher might then kill us. But I find it hard to believe that she would kill us, or have us killed.

After perpetrating that fraud on us in Uru? All of that was to get that guy back from being dead! No she didn't hurt anybody, no she wasn't as direct or Malicious as her brothers were later, but it was fraud nonetheless. And for what end? What happened to that King? Where did she go from there? with the newly not-dead-anymore fellow? That ending always bothered me.

For her to come up with such deception now, new game sight unseen by me, would not surprise me.

JustBrett
08-16-2005, 01:04 PM
Darcphaze: Your post confuses me a little, but I assume you're talking about Kadish being restored to life? Kadish was never a king -- he lived thousands of years after the last king of D'ni abdicated. Yeesha did not defraud us into helping bring him back to life; we had nothing to do with it. Yeesha showed us aspects of Kadish's life to teach us about D'ni pride, but she had brought him back to life many years before we ever got the call to come to Uru. She simply showed us the vault before and after what she had done, so we could learn about Kadish's bad attitude (in the suicide note), as well as her own past pride that led her to make the mistake of reviving him (the torn up note in the other version of the vault).

However, she may well have defrauded us in a sense with her first journey in Uru. She got us to retrieve the pillars and release the soul of a Bahro, but never gave us enough information to understand the consequences of our action. She used us as ignorant tools, which is going to make it hard for me to trust her again.

Darcphaze
08-17-2005, 03:01 PM
Ahhh thank you JustBrett. I didn't read all the material concerning Myst nor peruse the boards much when I was playing. I thought Kadish was a king because of the way the place was built.

DOH! silly me!

Nevertheless, I agree with you and believe Yeesha has her "own agenda" which I had made note of in some obscure posting around here someplace regarding the merits of their dysfunctional family.

JustBrett
08-17-2005, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Darcphaze:
Nevertheless, I agree with you and believe Yeesha has her "own agenda" which I had made note of in some obscure posting around here someplace regarding the merits of their dysfunctional family.
The Prima strategy guide for Uru has an interview that makes it clear that Cyan wanted us to have ambivalent feelings about Yeesha and her motives. I think one of the early interviews about Myst V says the same thing -- Cyan wants us to pick up the idea that Yeesha has an agenda that isn't clear to us.

After all, it wouldn't be much of a game if we were 100% sure who to believe right from the beginning. And Cyan is really, really good at this kind of thing, even when you ARE sure you know who the good guys are. For example, Gehn's first speech in Riven very nearly convinced me he was reformed and misunderstood, and that Catherine was a nutcase, even though we'd already seen the evil things he did to the Rivenese people.

robsmyst
08-27-2005, 02:32 AM
Yeesha Should be in the Myst V game I Hope, I tryed the demo and all I can say is Yeesha is better from uru then the charater you encounter in the demo, and yes the Yeesha from uru is even better than the Yeesha from Revolion game that game just sucks, compared to the rest , "" plus it had 3 different endings for Yeesha in it ""it has just like Riven with different endings possible even thought I never play it too the end..just got bored of the game ,and the clicking around thing ,
I like the uru style better moving with the arrows and its 3D thing

*2 you all are crazzy talking about life & death that strongly in a game "just get real its just a game" , and after a few years after the final myst game is make no one person will even remember myst , its just a thing among a lot of other games etc..first their was quake then came quake 3 then unreal 1 then ut2003 ut2004 uru doom3 then myst v get it just games, but I do think most don't like the idea of killing main character off , its just not good sport to do so, also they make books out of this stuff

"I bet you when they want to make money too put into the food hungry stumics they will make more myst games"

that is once they get no more people buying other games from them etc cyan for killing off the myst games , people need to go on cyan stick and stop buying any game that not myst related

Layniel
08-27-2005, 05:15 AM
myst wont be fogotten... it entered the pc history as one of the most succesful and innovative game... just as castle Wolfenstein, Doom, UT, Quake and Warcraft etc.

you are most likely right, that there wont be any new myst games if we dont just stop buying their non-myst games (but that is going to make them bankrupt) but i think they will someday choose to get back to the D'niverse... maybe not myst, but something connected to D'ni and linking books

PatTheMav
08-28-2005, 05:04 PM
Ok, to bring some fun in this thread http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif - we, as the player and old friend of atrus', take yeesha with us into "our world" and live happily ever after ...

Okay .. don't throw things at me - it really was just a joke http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif