PDA

View Full Version : Petition for neutral/english names

simon_the_hun
01-24-2011, 10:19 AM
Nival Interactive shamelessly used names from russian culture. Now the hungarians add the name Sandor and others probably. wtf. if chinese are to develop the next game, let's get prepared for san-sui hero and tong-ping town. It's pathetic. I want some neutral/ english names HoMM3 like not eyesores svetlana, slava and sandor. HoMM it's not your history book guys ! Ubisoft should choose developers more carefully .

znork
01-24-2011, 10:41 AM
Its ubi not the devs that choose the names. The producers of h5 and h6 are frensh.

Im not shure but i also belive the the dud who made ashan is frensh to.

KingImp
01-24-2011, 11:58 AM
What do you want the heroes to be named, Jim, Bob, and Nancy?

Thunion
01-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Nival Interactive shamelessly used names from russian culture. Now the hungarians add the name Sandor and others probably. wtf. if chinese are to develop the next game, let's get prepared for san-sui hero and tong-ping town. It's pathetic. I want some neutral/ english names HoMM3 like not eyesores svetlana, slava and sandor. HoMM it's not your history book guys ! Ubisoft should choose developers more carefully .
Thats sounds like a racism! I mean why they have to be english?!?! Jav/Uk doesnt control the world or at least game industry. And what you mean by sayng neutral? And why if it petition you havent made a poll?

GoranXII
01-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Yeah, besides, how do you categorise 'English', Erik and Harald are as much English as George and John, despite having different backgrounds.

ImperialDane
01-24-2011, 03:14 PM
Nothing wrong in names and they sound nice. As long as they don't go crazy or suddenly decide to name everybody bob i think we're safe.

Xenofex_086
01-25-2011, 01:41 AM
Now when I think of it, there are many English-speaking developers/publishers, who shamelessly use English names in their products. Outrageous! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

dolphin_437
01-25-2011, 03:53 AM
I think they should use any name that is typically linked with the time period (sort of medieval/ancient) or the fantasy genre. That said one doesn't want to see to many cliches. I don't see a problem with Chinese names they do afterall have some of the oldest names in history. That said we don't want every second hero named Wang as there would be something wong with that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Are we bored of the game already that we are discussing the importance of names LOL. Or is this the outlet of irritation and tension that naturally occurs prior to the release of more relevant information?

Oakwarrior
01-25-2011, 04:03 AM
Svetlana sounds weird as shizz. That's a slavic name and I'm russian.

Sveltana, actually.
Common misconception.

simon_the_hun
01-25-2011, 06:56 AM
Vidomina, Sandro, Aine ... ring any bells?

Originally posted by KingImp:
What do you want the heroes to be named, Jim, Bob, and Nancy?
haha, funny. I meant names like Lord Haart or Crag Hack.

Originally posted by Asterisk:
It needs to be a Fantasy name, not English.

Along the lines of Phoebe, Lyra, Kastor, Thundax. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Exactly. Those names tend to be universal. Sveltana is clearly russian.

Originally posted by Xenofex_086:
Now when I think of it, there are many English-speaking developers/publishers, who shamelessly use English names in their products. Outrageous! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif
OK. Sit down. HoMM was created in California, US, Not in Moscow. They should've stayed with the original concept of HoMM3 (widely considered the best in the series) and spatial-temporal coordinates, improving gameplay and graphics(which they did, i am impressed ). The storyline it's rubbish
Anyway, i'm fighting a losing battle. it's just about making more moneys from the ten years olds amazed by the visual effects. Older players are a minority

Asterisk
01-25-2011, 06:59 AM
^ Dude, there is no name like Sveltana. Google it. Wiki it. It's Svetlana and it's a pure russian name.

Thunion
01-25-2011, 07:28 AM
^ Dude, there is no name like Sveltana. Google it. Wiki it. It's Svetlana and it's a pure russian name.
It WASNT any name like sveltana but it seems ubi created such name http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.I am russian to and i know sveltana sounds strange.
http://might-and-magic.ubi.com...y/history/index.aspx (http://might-and-magic.ubi.com/heroes-6/en-GB/story/history/index.aspx)

Thunion
01-25-2011, 07:43 AM
And if you really want explanation why Ubi "were so rude and destroyd legacy fo Homm3 names" then there it is: I have readed somewhere that current grifin empire isint an empire but jut duchy and its in east of whole empire so it symbolizes eastern lands of our world:Slavic lands,thats why they use slavic names.

Xenofex_086
01-25-2011, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by simon_the_hun:
OK. Sit down. HoMM was created in California, US, Not in Moscow. They should've stayed with the original concept of HoMM3 (widely considered the best in the series) and spatial-temporal coordinates, improving gameplay and graphics(which they did, i am impressed ). The storyline it's rubbish
Anyway, i'm fighting a losing battle. it's just about making more moneys from the ten years olds amazed by the visual effects. Older players are a minority Dear Sir/Madam/Thing, I've played all the Heroes games, I'd pick the JVC Might & Magic universe before the abomination created by Ubisoft any time, but this is all irrelevant as I don't have to be an "old" or a "new" fan to say that this topic is insanely stupid. Show yourself as smarter than it and don't post anything else like it, please!

simon_the_hun
01-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Xenofex_086:

[/QUOTE]Dear Sir/Madam/Thing, I've played all the Heroes games, I'd pick the JVC Might & Magic universe before the abomination created by Ubisoft any time, but this is all irrelevant as I don't have to be an "old" or a "new" fan to say that this topic is insanely stupid. Show yourself as smarter than it and don't post anything else like it, please![/QUOTE]

I'm sorry for replying to your idiotic irony in the first place. should've hit the ignore button. i'll do that now. Go make stupid comparisons somewhere else

Nightmus
01-25-2011, 12:16 PM
Is it really Sveltana they're calling the female sibling? It sounds so weird and hard to pronounce. The actual name is Svetlana, which means "light", "heartwarming", "inspiring". Maybe the devs had a problem with it.

Thunion
01-25-2011, 12:51 PM
"light", "heartwarming", "inspiring"
yeah you are right about meaning of the word.Svet-Light.But well if we care about names that much i guess it doesnt fit sveltana character at all...She is necromancer you see(which i gues you allready know ;D).And i never knew about hearwarming necromancer http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Thunion
01-25-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm sorry for replying to your idiotic irony in the first place. should've hit the ignore button. i'll do that now. Go make stupid comparisons somewhere else
Are you mad?.Now siriusly you call other heroes players a ten years kid just becouse they dont care about names that much as you do.However you are very mad when meet a constructive criticizm.Every one loved Homm3 Becouse of deep gameplay,huge 2d maps,interesting story,dark atmosphere/etc. But i never heard of someone(except you of course) sayng "Hey remember HOmm 3? They got really cool names down there,other heroes sucks becouse names arent english/neutral" i guess "Older players" are even rarer then you thinked.But heh i guess you gonna ignore me now to,dont worry i dont really care about that so you can just hit that ignore button and dont declare it to the whole forum,it just consumation of anyones time who accidently clicks on this thread,reading "You dont think like me,ignored"

it's just about making more moneys from the ten years olds amazed by the visual effects. Older players are a minority

Warlord_Ade
01-25-2011, 01:39 PM
To be honest i don't see what difference it makes, would be nice to have some English names, but at the end of the day we just gota live with it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

DragonHawk23
01-25-2011, 02:13 PM
This is a pretty shameless and senseless topic so I'm not going to bother to post anything in it.

Asterisk
01-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Thunion:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">^ Dude, there is no name like Sveltana. Google it. Wiki it. It's Svetlana and it's a pure russian name.
It WASNT any name like sveltana but it seems ubi created such name http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.I am russian to and i know sveltana sounds strange.
http://might-and-magic.ubi.com...y/history/index.aspx (http://might-and-magic.ubi.com/heroes-6/en-GB/story/history/index.aspx) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow. At first I thought it's just a typo.

Originally posted by Thunion:
And if you really want explanation why Ubi "were so rude and destroyd legacy fo Homm3 names" then there it is: I have readed somewhere that current grifin empire isint an empire but jut duchy and its in east of whole empire so it symbolizes eastern lands of our world:Slavic lands,thats why they use slavic names.

And they couldn't even get the name right...
I mean WTF is Sveltana?.. It's like BWM. o_O

Nightmus
01-25-2011, 04:07 PM
I mean WTF is Sveltana?.. It's like BWM. o_O
Yeah, like Micorsoft or Panassonic.

Dreamwright
01-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Or Sephinroth (Sephirot), or Fafner (Fafnir)...

BeriadanL
01-25-2011, 07:19 PM
What can I say? This thread is pointless

OmegaZoa
02-11-2011, 03:05 PM
English? sir are you racist? Neutral? eh nothing wrong here. anywho pointless topic.

znork
02-12-2011, 03:07 AM
I demand all names in znorkish!!!!!!!

Dark-Whisperer
02-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Hehehehe, I can see if next develeper is from Germany campaign heroes will be Schultz, Dietrich, Gottlieb, Bismark, Berta or Gertrude http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Pitsu
02-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by znork:

It is enough when Sveltana and game credits are in snorgisch.

znork
02-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Pitsu:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by znork:

It is enough when Sveltana and game credits are in snorgisch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I want it all

C_h_u_c_k_l_e_s
02-22-2011, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by znork:

I'm pretty sure my computer would crash just from the spell-checker going into over-drive. :O)

And to the original poster...I know the game's origins are in the USA...but you've simply got to come to grips with the fact that the game is now a EUROPEAN-BASED endeavor. I, personally, had gotten so used to everything "heroes" being English that I took it for granted and as second nature. For the most part, Ubisoft does a pretty good job of translating the game into English but there are some...shall we say "glitches" in what they consider to be English. I (and others) try to correct things we see as incorrect, but for the most part Ubisoft handles the translation of the game to English (they DO farm out the translations for some other languages though).

Ozsy1023
02-27-2011, 01:55 AM
Fyi, if I'm not mistaken, there have been heroes called Laszlo and Zoltan through the series, and those are Hungarian names, too. I don't see any problem adding Sandor to the list.

Metamagician
02-27-2011, 04:48 AM
I agree with this topic, English is not my native language but I prefer neutral English names in fantasy games(and everywhere else for that matter).

And no, those names are not Jim, Sue and Nancy but names you find in Dragon Age and other such games, hence the added part "neutral".

Thunion
02-27-2011, 05:38 AM
There it goes again... Its usless topic as some allready mentioned here but for some stupid reason still from time to time it gets remembered X(.I think i allready explained why russian names used down here.And idea of all games "Must" have only english/neutral names is just stupid..game usually creates a new world,in our world in every country we got english/neutral games? i dont think so why then whole game world should be only english/neutral names..

FeralShaman
02-27-2011, 10:24 AM
well considering undead,vampires,werewolfs and such have origin mainly from slavic cultures i find "svetlana"apropriate name for necropolis hero.

Also its a bit refreshing from all those "neutral" names,which are not neutral at all,but english or greek

Shawn85
02-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Id take my take to ridicule the thread maker but it seems like you boys have it covered. gj http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Warpelle
03-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Dude worste troll ever.
Devs put lots of thought into names and as i see both Anton (a german name btw) and Sandor (form of Alexander wich is greek) makes thinking of this AMERICAN dude Anton Szandor Lavey. ZOMG the devs are a satanic cult i bet they eat babies and sacrifies virgins (i do to with ma sword (what up!)) We got Kiril another greek name for Lord as the demonichero and for the lost dukess 8princess) we got Anastasia. Good freaking names with lots of ocultism and meaning in both fantasy and IRL. Id like to see you pull a trick like that of but since you didnt see the Church of satan reference your just another troll.

Thunion
03-05-2011, 12:11 AM
Anton (a german name btw)
Roman one from antonio,or from greece(it means becouse of)..Just sayng

gazdalale
03-05-2011, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by Ozsy1023:
Fyi, if I'm not mistaken, there have been heroes called Laszlo and Zoltan through the series, and those are Hungarian names, too. I don't see any problem adding Sandor to the list.
Agree!
There was also Klaus. Is it German name?
He was cavalry commander.
Imagine that instead of Klaus you have George Custer or something similiar http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Anyway, names are european. That's great http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thunion
03-05-2011, 06:25 AM
There was also Klaus. Is it German name?
Well technicly yes,but its roots are also from greece name Nicholas.
I dont really care about names if they sound nice.And when you get used to,almost every name sounds nice ;D.

Asterisk
03-06-2011, 01:46 AM
I like Sukhdeep, Prabjolt names and such.

Polaris2013
03-14-2011, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by simon_the_hun:

To be honest, if the developers are not "Neutral/English" in their native country I would rather the elements of lore that they add to the series NOT be "Neutral/English." Each culture in the world has unique characteristics and stories people outside that culture may not be aware of, and I think it's great that they get to put their own spin on things that they make so the rest of us can experience that small little piece of their culture.

So if a Chinese developer were to take on Heroes 7 as you suggest I would hope that they take us to a continent of the Heroes universe which is structured through the lens of a Chinese developer's viewpoint on the Heroes universe. Not only does it increase the scope of the world, it keeps it fresh too.

So I say make it unique. Break from tradition. Provide us a new perspective!

TheMachine6
06-08-2011, 01:02 PM
I think it makes the game more interesting if each of the races were not exactly the same throught the world. Here is an example, imagine the entire world was British, everyone looked British, everyone spoke English, everyone had British names. Now that would be boring. How about there are different cultures in different parts of the Falcon Empire? That would be interesting. But I do agree this system is flawed to a point, there has been no history of humans living outside of one empire since HOMM 4, which was a while ago. It is therefore paradoxial that they are so different, no? My personal opinion is to keep the Empire English and have little 'renegade' nations as different cultures, that would make more sense, would it not? But I guess that would never happen, as the rational thinking of the story of HOMM deteriorated since HOMM 4's "The Gathering Storm" , seriously, the story there was not satisfactory. "Winds of War" was even less favourable, and that is considering that the original HOMM 4 campaigns were quite good. HOMM 5 wasn't terrible in the sense of story, but it lacked the feeling that the charecters knew that they were doing. Agrael chasing a random elf who told him to meet him? Without much explanation? Seriously? I hope the charecters in HOMM 6 are much better thinkers. Wait, am I off topic again?

markeneeter
06-09-2011, 07:51 AM
I don't see why you couldnt use foreign names. Chinese/Japanese names would (first page of this topic) would actually indeed fit with sanctuary. sveltana sounds russian, but it also gives me a necro feeling. (That might just be me, but I assosiate eastern europe with dark and cold.) Besides, russian language comes from greek regions (originally) so irt would be possible for a mesopotamian faction such as necro to have a hero with a name like sveltana.

Besides, if the orcs had to chose names, everybody would be kalled Lurch or Graagh or something else in that direction.
Foreign names are no problem. Do you guys realy expect desert people (academy) to have english names?? No, they will have mediterranian/african names.

In that way I totally agree with TheMachine6
It's a Fantasie game for <STRIKE>christ's</STRIKE> sake

PureArmageddon
06-09-2011, 07:52 AM
And if the hero comes from Japan should he be named John? The world of Ashan is global and so are the heroes, so why not the names? The cultures of the factions are different, the creatures are, and so are the names. BTW Did you notice that in HOMM III Inferno's creatures had a lot of Xs in them. :P