PDA

View Full Version : I think Igor Egorov would like this idea.

XyZspineZyX
09-18-2003, 11:33 PM
This is no easy task, which is probobly why it has yet to be done. IL-2 is so robust and detailed that it is obvious the developers are passionate about the world they are re-creating, so perhaps they are up to the task.

First a quick history of where I came up with the idea. Keep in mind, this is not how I see the idea being integrated into a serious sim. Back in the "Wing Commander" Days. Yea, cheezy "Chris Roberts" space flight sim, but way ahead of it's time. You interact with fellow pilots, the plot and mission difficulty evolve based on your performance, and there is a flight simulator on one of the decks within the space carrier to practice on between combat missions. Very cool, game within a game and all. Then there came this great mission where you inevetably are captured when your fighter is crippled. You manage to get into an enemy space craft and fight your way back to your ship and escape. Great stuff, but I always thaught, wouldnt it be great if when you were captured the game switched over to a first person shooter, and the only way you could contenue on with your campagne would be to defeat the first person shooter game within the game and escape.

Now I read that Igor Egorov, Lead Programmer for IL-2 is a big first person shooter fan, probobly already had this idea. So how about it Igor? What if when playing an IL-2 campaign and if you are forced to bail out over enimy territory, hit the ground in first person shooter mode. Nothing but your side arm, possible injuries based on the aircraft damage, and you have to try to make it back into friendly territory? If captured, then the mission is over. Or less realistic, a bit more fun. Once captured the player can try to escape, steal an enemy aircraft, and fly back to a friendly air base. I don't think the ladder scenario ever happened during WWII, but I'm sure every real downed pilot dreamed of exactly that.

Just a dream?

sean.e.henderson@usa-spaceops.com

USAF / NASA

Huge IL-2 Fan
Can't wait to fly Lock-On!

XyZspineZyX
09-18-2003, 11:33 PM
This is no easy task, which is probobly why it has yet to be done. IL-2 is so robust and detailed that it is obvious the developers are passionate about the world they are re-creating, so perhaps they are up to the task.

First a quick history of where I came up with the idea. Keep in mind, this is not how I see the idea being integrated into a serious sim. Back in the "Wing Commander" Days. Yea, cheezy "Chris Roberts" space flight sim, but way ahead of it's time. You interact with fellow pilots, the plot and mission difficulty evolve based on your performance, and there is a flight simulator on one of the decks within the space carrier to practice on between combat missions. Very cool, game within a game and all. Then there came this great mission where you inevetably are captured when your fighter is crippled. You manage to get into an enemy space craft and fight your way back to your ship and escape. Great stuff, but I always thaught, wouldnt it be great if when you were captured the game switched over to a first person shooter, and the only way you could contenue on with your campagne would be to defeat the first person shooter game within the game and escape.

Now I read that Igor Egorov, Lead Programmer for IL-2 is a big first person shooter fan, probobly already had this idea. So how about it Igor? What if when playing an IL-2 campaign and if you are forced to bail out over enimy territory, hit the ground in first person shooter mode. Nothing but your side arm, possible injuries based on the aircraft damage, and you have to try to make it back into friendly territory? If captured, then the mission is over. Or less realistic, a bit more fun. Once captured the player can try to escape, steal an enemy aircraft, and fly back to a friendly air base. I don't think the ladder scenario ever happened during WWII, but I'm sure every real downed pilot dreamed of exactly that.

Just a dream?

sean.e.henderson@usa-spaceops.com

USAF / NASA

Huge IL-2 Fan
Can't wait to fly Lock-On!