PDA

View Full Version : Assassins Creed language

bigedmcgilk
11-14-2007, 04:32 PM
How bad is the language on Assassins Creed? Do they use the "F" word?

DeadCorpseAC
11-14-2007, 04:44 PM
I don't know, but I want to know why some people care if the game has words like f***, sh**...
Here (Brazil) it's something vey usual to say this... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

bigedmcgilk
11-14-2007, 04:47 PM
I am a father. I care about what my sons hear. I know they might hear those words in school, etc., but they don't have to hear it in my home.
Thanks for the reply.

DeadCorpseAC
11-14-2007, 04:51 PM
Oh, about sons. If they're children, I agree. I know about you concern, my fathers are like you. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

knife_X
11-14-2007, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by bigedmcgilk:

Should you be buying you`re kids a M rated game if they are not allowed to hear the "F" word?

One of the reasons it got a M was "Strong Language"

membernametaken
11-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Big ed,

I appreciate you taking the time out to care about what your kids are playing.

I don't believe they use language like that in this game because of the time that most of the game is played in (the Crusades era) which was back before words like that came to exist.

However, there are points in the game during the present day so I don't know if it happens during those scenes...

This game is violent, though. There is blood and people die from sword wounds to every part of the body imaginable.

Hope you make the right decision for your kids...

CouchZombie
11-14-2007, 04:55 PM
from what i have played, i would say like a pg-13 language.

bigedmcgilk
11-14-2007, 05:00 PM
My boys are 15 and 13.

Altair778
11-14-2007, 05:01 PM
heh. I'm 12 (7th grade) and I know by experince that if you don't know the F word by the time your 12 you probably don't go to school. The big probelm is that most parents still don't let their kids play games or watch movies that have the F word, even when their kids are 14 years old. My parents understand that and have no probelm with me watching movies like saving private ryan or playing gears of war as long as it dosnt affect me negatively, and I doubt they
have. Personally I think the medias just using the explanation that video games are making kids more violent as an excuse to get a good story.For example, if one kid goes to school and beats a kid to death, the media points to video games like AC. The real probelm probably lies deep within the kids past. Mabye his parents abused him, mabye his childhood was horrible, who knows. Mabye video games had a small effect, but I play video games alot, I'm getting great grades, As far as I can tell I'm typing intelligent posts, and I having a great life.

knife_X
My boys are 15 and 13.

It`s a 17+ age restriction so it`s really up to you!

Sploivik
i highly doubt their going to use the F" word. since they hardly use any in the game. So far the worse insult ive heard(also the only insult) was "*******".

Sploivik
11-14-2007, 05:02 PM
lol i meant Bast***

bukowski113
11-14-2007, 05:06 PM
Additionally, I believe there's an option for turning off the blood/gore if that is a concern.

membernametaken
11-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Altair778:
heh. I'm 12 (7th grade) and I know by experince that if you don't know the F word by the time your 12 you probably don't go to school. The big probelm is that most parents still don't let their kids play games or watch movies that have the F word, even when their kids are 14 years old. My parents understand that and have no probelm with me watching movies like saving private ryan or playing gears of war as long as it dosnt affect me negatively, and I doubt they
have. Personally I think the medias just using the explanation that video games are making kids more violent as an excuse to get a good story.For example, if one kid goes to school and beats a kid to death, the media points to video games like AC. The real probelm probably lies deep within the kids past. Mabye his parents abused him, mabye his childhood was horrible, who knows. Mabye video games had a small effect, but I play video games alot, I'm getting great grades, As far as I can tell I'm typing intelligent posts, and I having a great life.

Wow. By far the most intelligent post i've ever seen from a 12 year old. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

DeadCorpseAC
11-14-2007, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by membernametaken:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Altair778:
heh. I'm 12 (7th grade) and I know by experince that if you don't know the F word by the time your 12 you probably don't go to school. The big probelm is that most parents still don't let their kids play games or watch movies that have the F word, even when their kids are 14 years old. My parents understand that and have no probelm with me watching movies like saving private ryan or playing gears of war as
long as it dosnt affect me negatively, and I doubt they

Wow. By far the most intelligent post i've ever seen from a 12 year old. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
².
Ps: I'm 16. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ElD1abl0
11-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Altair778:
As far as I can tell I'm typing intelligent posts, and I having a great life.

This made me lol.

trojanfoe
11-14-2007, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by membernametaken:

I don't believe they use language like that in this game because of the time that most of the game is played in (the Crusades era) which was back before words like that came to exist.

It's not uncommon though for film makers to use modern language in stuff set in older times (Rome and Deadwood come to mind immediately) to give viewers the context of the insult (which would probably have been religious in nature). It follows that video game makers might follow this example.

Having said that, I doubt they have in AC, but I won't know for sure until Friday.

stringtapper
11-14-2007, 07:38 PM
bigedmcgilk - I can confirm that the F-bomb is indeed dropped in AC. Desmond says it during one of the modern scenes.

It's funny 'cause I had paused the game to see what other people were saying about it and read this thread. When I went back to play that scene came up!

That was the first time I heard it and I've only finished the first assassination.

NDDONS09
11-14-2007, 08:50 PM
buy it for them! theres nothing wrong with the blood its just like watching a really sweet movie...and i dont remember that they said the f word so your kids probably wont notice....just get it for them, its a fantastic game

Sploivik
11-14-2007, 09:10 PM
okay http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif ther is a part in the game were the main character did say the dreaded F" word

Gypsy816
11-14-2007, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Sploivik:
okay http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif ther is a part in the game were the main character did say the dreaded F" word

Oh? And where would that be? I think it would help biged if you let him know where so he can mute it or something.

hairygeek
11-14-2007, 09:21 PM
The guy is slashing his blade into people, kicking them in the groin, pushing them down from buildings, throwing knives in their faces and youre worried about the "F-Word"? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

HiddenBlade283
11-14-2007, 09:29 PM
All those things are visible though, the f-word is not. So if there is any other people or children around that HEAR it not SEE it then there is your answer.

xionethic
11-14-2007, 09:31 PM
you shouldn't be worried about the language if it's used in proper context. Like its better that or people saying **** every 2 seconds. The context is what matters say if your dieying, a few curses won't hurt

Sploivik
11-14-2007, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Gypsy816:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sploivik:

Oh? And where would that be? I think it would help biged if you let him know where so he can mute it or something. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I rly dont think its a big deal,but if u really wanted to know
It was after the 1st assassination, in the lab room.

I dont think you should worry so much dad http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif,just lecture your son on the use of crude language. Im sure he'll understand and reframe from using it....around you lol, joking.

sephris67
11-14-2007, 09:46 PM
Been playing for about 4 hours so far. Haven't heard a swear yet. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Coolgerb
11-14-2007, 09:53 PM
Sheesh, guess you have to be a yankee to care about swear words...

Here in Europe, we don't care. Why would it be so bad that kids learn swear words? As long as it's being taught to them to use it in the right context.

Trying to keep someone from ever learning swear words, is pure ignorance.

stringtapper
11-14-2007, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by sephris67:
Been playing for about 4 hours so far. Haven't heard a swear yet. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

You have to engage the "Press Any Button" command around Lucy in order to talk to her when you're in the lab as Desmond. It's the lab scene that takes place after the first assassination. The ensuing conversation has Desmond dropping the F-bomb.

trojanfoe
11-15-2007, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by Coolgerb:
Sheesh, guess you have to be a yankee to care about swear words...

Here in Europe, we don't care. Why would it be so bad that kids learn swear words? As long as it's being taught to them to use it in the right context.

Trying to keep someone from ever learning swear words, is pure ignorance.

Well that's how he's chosen to bring up his kids, so it's up to him - he just wants to know beforehand, rather than getting the game, finding out it's inappropriate for him/his kids, and then stopping them from playing it - which would be worse in the long run.

Also there are people in Europe who care about swearing; I'm not one of them, but they are here...

WusQuito
11-15-2007, 03:57 AM
Hang on a minute. This guy seems to be worried about a swear word in the English language yet there is no mention of the fact that his sons are going to be stabbing people in the neck. Do you think your sons are going to start swearing because they heard it in a computer game? I would be more concerned with my sons trying to climb buildings to be honest. I can appreciate your concern but you seem to have double standards.

xekushnr
11-15-2007, 03:59 AM
Yes, Desmond has used the 'F' word so far in the game. As it was previously mentioned, if youre not worried about the massive amounts of violence your kids will be committing, what is one or two swear words they have already heard anyway?

maddog111
11-15-2007, 08:05 AM
I AM 13 AND ILL BUY THIS GAME NO MATER what i dont care if they say bad words i just like the gameplay..My Reply

Opticaly
11-15-2007, 08:38 AM
Well I know that the word F**k means 'Fornication Under Consent of the King' so they most probaly don't have because of the year it was created in, and it must of sounded funny to actualy say F**k you back in the day.

Bobzer77
11-15-2007, 09:52 AM
My boys are 15 and 13.
Im 15, Im Irish and let me tell you Ive heard and used a lot worse words than S*** and F***. I agree that people should maintain a high moral standard but today bad language is used so much it has just become a part of life. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Luc_Auditore
06-30-2011, 01:53 PM
idk i dont own brother hood but in assassins crees 2 i turned on subtitles cuz i waqnted to know what they were saying and i found out ciazo means F and it had alot of other curses so dont let em turn on subtitles and you'll be good http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/typing.gif

Eric_490
06-30-2011, 02:17 PM
lmao this is one of the dumbest threads i've ever seen.

When I was in kindergarten kids were using swear words and when I was in sixth grade it was EVERYWHERE.

And if they have any access to movies or tv shows or books or magazines or youtube they are going to hear the F word A LOT.

Unless your gunna home school your kids and make them crazy shut-ins that never venture outside its not gunna ***king matter what they hear around the house. People always think that if their kids play video games they're going to mimic everything in the game.

No they wont unless their parents teach them to or they are crazy and cannot understand the difference between the real world and the cyber world.

And do I have to point out the fact that its M rated!??!?

If your going to be that kind of parent then dont let them play games that they aren't legally old enough to play!

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.comicsalliance.com/media/2010/09/esrbm.png

an-assassin
06-30-2011, 02:21 PM
In the beginning Lucy says "F***, I thought this card would work. It must be on a seperate system and I dont have the code." Then Desmond uses eagle vision to get the code.

PjotrSpot
06-30-2011, 02:39 PM
Maybe I'm the only one that noticed, but this thread is from 2007...let it die.

ghostferret
06-30-2011, 02:51 PM
To the best of my recollection (having played all three games several times):
AC -- I don't recall F*** or S***
AC2 -- Lucy says F*** once with the key card and also "Shut the F*** up" to Desmond. Desmond says "Holy S***" and also one, very epic, F***.
If you have subtitles on, there's swearing in Italian.
ACB -- I don't recall either F*** or S***, but I might have missed it. (My favorite swear word from that game, without doubt, is "Catso.")

The use of foul language in AC is so sparse compared to current music and film that I would hate to see your son lose the pleasures of the games in order to hold to a strict principle. I'd offer that he's more likely to come out of playing AC with an interest in history than a foul mouth.

If he were my son (grandson, more likely), I'd let him play, but I'd make it clear that I was bending house rules, and I'd probably impose a condition (like reading some Renaissance history, or at least letting me play with him.)

Bruno_Berg
06-30-2011, 03:02 PM

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, or well, maybe a bit. But do you keep them from watching movies, tv-shows, books etc that contains the "f" word? If not, then caring about whether or not it's used it a game is fairly hypocritical and silly. If you do actually "keep them" (like they don't come over that anyway) from everything that you're just extremely silly. They're 13 and 15, as long as you don't suspect them to be severely mentally ill I wouldn't be too bothered about it really.

Also, sorry if I was rude. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Eric_490
06-30-2011, 03:06 PM
13 and 15!

Holy sh** lmao!!!

I feel sorry for them. They hear cusswords every day and all the time but you wont let them play AC. hahahaha

TheLeoCrow
06-30-2011, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Eric_490:
13 and 15!

Holy sh** lmao!!!

I feel sorry for them. They hear cusswords every day and all the time but you wont let them play AC. hahahaha

They were 13 and 15 when this thread was created in 2007. It's 2011 now, so they must now be about 17 and 19...

Eric_490
06-30-2011, 07:59 PM
lol they're probably still not allowed to play. Dad comes over to the 19 year olds house every day and searches it for any bad influences.

Mic_92
06-30-2011, 08:21 PM
I'm sorry sir but if your sons are 15 and 13, they probably use the f word casually.

lol Ok..2007.

masterfenix2009
07-01-2011, 07:07 AM
The main character says it once in both games. All the other times are in Italian, so don't let them read subtitles. There is also a blood feature you can turn off. There is a censored, in the important areas, sex scene in the near beginning of Brotherhood. It's its own cutscene, so you can skip it. They wont miss any story.

Edit:2007 opps

Chamboozer
07-01-2011, 07:45 AM
Geez, the OP just asked a question and everyone is trying to push their political views on him. The answer is yes, there's bad language including the F-bomb. If you're worried about your children being exposed to that then you should not let them get the game.

Everyone here should respect this man's right to restrict his children from playing certain video games. My parents did it for me and it was the right decision.

EDIT: DAMN! This thread is old. I guess all the arguments here aren't relevant anymore. Why did it get bumped?

marachien
07-01-2011, 08:24 AM
You're kidding right? Most of our swear words today were common back then the 'C word' was a job discription! Bastard had it's original meaning of fatherless child by this stage. The 'F word' was common as was the 'S word'. Do not assume swearing is new just because it's not seen in bowdelerised Shakespeare

Mr_Shade
07-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Please do not dig up 3+ year old threads...