PDA

View Full Version : Help needed on a 5 year hiatus.

Manicoti
01-30-2011, 08:17 PM
Hi all,

I'm back after 5 years. I don't have a pc right now, only a MacBook. My old comp with all the games is dead. I hope the guy I lent them too still has them.....

My question is, if I were to get a pc to just run il2 and the new cod, what would you recommend for a computer. Memory, processor, video card etc? Think cost effectiveness. I have 2 macs so this comp would be for il2 gaming only.

Thanks!!
Mark

WTE_Galway
01-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Definitely an 1155 motherboard with an SB processor and DDR3 ram.

VW-IceFire
01-30-2011, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Manicoti:
Hi all,

I'm back after 5 years. I don't have a pc right now, only a MacBook. My old comp with all the games is dead. I hope the guy I lent them too still has them.....

My question is, if I were to get a pc to just run il2 and the new cod, what would you recommend for a computer. Memory, processor, video card etc? Think cost effectiveness. I have 2 macs so this comp would be for il2 gaming only.

Thanks!!
Mark
Cost effective and gaming don't really go well together http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I would suggest the latest Core i7 2600 (the 1155 pin configuration as Galway is talking about - also called "Sandy Bridge") with 4-6 GB of DDR3 RAM (something faster and not the budget) and as for video cards... harder to suggest on that. My rule of thumb is to look at the top end model and go a model or a bit more down from there. I always do the research first but usually the top end cards are extremely expensive and only get a small percentage better in the scores.

Ba5tard5word
01-31-2011, 12:40 AM
Depends on your budget, but an Nvidia GTX 460 should be a good card to start with for COD, or its ATI equivalent (not really sure what that would be). They are pretty powerful, highly rated, and pretty cheap for a new graphics card, you can get one for around $150-180 USD. I have a 470 which is the next step up and it's very good for new games. Otherwise I'd go with what Icefire suggests for a cpu and RAM.

DKoor
01-31-2011, 04:16 AM
I'll just go with what is recommended, I don't have the money nor I have some great requirements for game to run it in perfect modes http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif .

Believe me or not I never played IL-2 in perfect mode, only for a brief time. I can enjoy it without stunning graphics http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif .

I think the rule of thumb is - bigger money better rig, but I agree with guys I think it is always smart to go a bit on budget side because high end stuff is shamelessly expensive and you simply don't get enough bang for your buck.
I guess that is not an issue if you are shamelessly rich http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif .

M_Gunz
01-31-2011, 06:07 AM
You might as well get a PC that can run Cliffs of Dover as well as IL2:1946. BTW, don't worry much about your copy of IL2, the price has dropped just a bit... like 75%. You can beat the recommended specs for under $1000 complete, tested and shipped.

p1ngu666
01-31-2011, 08:39 AM
sandybridge K processor (unlocked multiplier is indicated by the k)

1600mhz ram (4-8gig)

asus/msi motherboard

6950/560ti gfx card

Manicoti
01-31-2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks for all the info guys!I appreciate the help!

Maybe I'll see you online soon.

I just have the find a place that will build me this comp now.

Ba5tard5word
01-31-2011, 10:25 AM
If you're in the US check out Ibuypower, you tell them what you want in your computer and they build it. It's really not much more than if you bought the parts and put it together yourself. I got a computer from there about 2 years ago and it's been great and I saved at least $1000 compared to a similar Dell or HP computer.

mortoma
01-31-2011, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
If you're in the US check out Ibuypower, you tell them what you want in your computer and they build it. It's really not much more than if you bought the parts and put it together yourself. I got a computer from there about 2 years ago and it's been great and I saved at least $1000 compared to a similar Dell or HP computer. I'll go along with that. I got one from IBP too because I just didn't feel like building a PC two years ago. I had been building my own PCs for over a decade and it was no longer a big deal to me. I found that the price was only about 10-15% higher having IBP build it for me than if I built exactly the same thing.

Stay away from CyberpowerPC though!! I started with them and they tried to sneak a generic power supply into my build instead of the high end Corsair that I ordered. I called them and complained and they said they did it because they were out of the Corsair. I say they did it to save a bunch of money!! I ended up sending it back and that's when I tried IBP instead. I got what I paid for with IBP and it's been a great PC for over two years. IBUYPOWER FTW, if you don't want to build your own.

M_Gunz
01-31-2011, 09:33 PM
And you can get them real cheap!

Originally posted by p1ngu666:

Intel announces Sandy Bridge recall - epic silicon fail! (http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/246709,intel-announces-sandy-bridge-recall---epic-silicon-fail.aspx)

What kind of flaw? Here's the word straight from today's bombshell release:

As part of ongoing quality assurance, Intel Corporation has discovered a design issue in a recently released support chip, the Intel® 6 Series, code-named Cougar Point, and has implemented a silicon fix. In some cases, the Serial-ATA (SATA) ports within the chipsets may degrade over time, potentially impacting the performance or functionality of SATA-linked devices such as hard disk drives and DVD-drives.

So, you know, only something minor - after all, it only impacts THE ENTIRE PERFORMANCE OF A SYSTEM!

WTE_Galway
01-31-2011, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by M_Gunz:
And you can get them real cheap!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by p1ngu666:

Intel announces Sandy Bridge recall - epic silicon fail! (http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/246709,intel-announces-sandy-bridge-recall---epic-silicon-fail.aspx)

What kind of flaw? Here's the word straight from today's bombshell release:

As part of ongoing quality assurance, Intel Corporation has discovered a design issue in a recently released support chip, the Intel® 6 Series, code-named Cougar Point, and has implemented a silicon fix. In some cases, the Serial-ATA (SATA) ports within the chipsets may degrade over time, potentially impacting the performance or functionality of SATA-linked devices such as hard disk drives and DVD-drives.

So, you know, only something minor - after all, it only impacts THE ENTIRE PERFORMANCE OF A SYSTEM! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The guy that wrote that article is a technical moron.

The potential fault is in the third to sixth low speed secondary SATA bridges on affected motherboards.

The first two SATA, the actual high speed 6 Gb ones are unaffected.

There is no way at all it effects "THE ENTIRE PERFORMANCE OF A SYSTEM" its just some jrkoff trying to be sensational.

Most users never have more than two SATA devices and even those that do, the effect only occurs on some machines over a slow period of time. Intel are correct, its more a nuisance for users and bad PR for them.

Its true that the recall is a pain in the butt though, If Intel don't get things rolling again immediately, many people will just wait till Z68 is released in May/June. In many ways Z68 looks like a better chipset anyway.

RAF_OldBuzzard
02-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
... There is no way at all it effects "THE ENTIRE PERFORMANCE OF A SYSTEM" its just some jrkoff trying to be sensational. ...

I take it that reading comprehension is NOT one of your strong suits.

From INTEL's page:

... In some cases, the Serial-ATA (SATA) ports within the chipsets may degrade over time, potentially impacting the performance or functionality of SATA-linked devices such as hard disk drives and DVD-drives. ...
Full text here: http://www.intel.com/support/c...ets/sb/CS-032263.htm (http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-032263.htm)

Now, I don't know what universe you live in, but in MY universe, if ANY part of a system starts performing poorly, the whole system suffers.

WTE_Galway
02-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by RAF_OldBuzzard:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
... There is no way at all it effects "THE ENTIRE PERFORMANCE OF A SYSTEM" its just some jrkoff trying to be sensational. ...

I take it that reading comprehension is NOT one of your strong suits.

From INTEL's page:

... In some cases, the Serial-ATA (SATA) ports within the chipsets may degrade over time, potentially impacting the performance or functionality of SATA-linked devices such as hard disk drives and DVD-drives. ...
Full text here: http://www.intel.com/support/c...ets/sb/CS-032263.htm (http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-032263.htm)

Now, I don't know what universe you live in, but in MY universe, if ANY part of a system starts performing poorly, the whole system suffers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SATA performance may degrade on the 3rd 4th 5th or 6th devices.

People with only two SATA drives/devices will never see any problems ever.

People with 3 or more SATA drives have a 1 in 20 chance that a degrade in performance may start to occur sometime in the next 3 years.

I stick by my original claim that the guy writing that article was trying to scare people for reasons of his own.

dangerlaef
02-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Manicoti:
Hi all,

I'm back after 5 years. I don't have a pc right now, only a MacBook. ...

I play il-2 on my 2010 intel macbook (2ghx intel) with no problems. all "excellent" settings, no lag.

Just intall XP using bootcamp. XP then runs natively, (bootcamp is NOT an emulator.)

Not sure how I'll go with COD.