PDA

View Full Version : OMG I just flew the 262 for the first time!!

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 08:08 PM
Man,

I was never a fan of the 262, but having flown it for the first time today in campaign mode ITS A MONSTER!!

Nothing can get close to it!

Incidentally, does anyone have the prob in camp mode where the lead planes just go along the ground and dont take off?? Like they have engine probs or something?? Can I do anything about it?

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 08:08 PM
Man,

I was never a fan of the 262, but having flown it for the first time today in campaign mode ITS A MONSTER!!

Nothing can get close to it!

Incidentally, does anyone have the prob in camp mode where the lead planes just go along the ground and dont take off?? Like they have engine probs or something?? Can I do anything about it?

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 08:11 PM
Yes, it is/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif Even with the problems in FM.

<center> http://www.stormbirds.com/images/discussion-main.jpg </center>

Message Edited on 09/02/0302:11PM by Huckebein_FW

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 08:41 PM
yeah, try to reach 10.000m than come back and tell us about it.

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 08:44 PM
sobolan wrote:
- yeah, try to reach 10.000m than come back and tell
- us about it.

Sure it's crippled above 7000m.

<center> http://www.stormbirds.com/images/discussion-main.jpg </center>

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 10:21 PM
Pre-patch it was a monster, now it's just a mean kitty cat. It used to outclimb everything, whereas now the La7 and late Yaks can come close or even out do it.

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 12:22 AM
You should have tried it before the patch. Then it was modelled more authentically. Zoom climb is now no better than the over-modelled P-39!!!

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin - 1755

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 12:33 AM
Agreed...zoom climb should be better. If I'm going 900 kph and zoom with two jet engines, I think it should climb...well...like a jet going 900kph with two engines /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

http://home.earthlink.net/~aclzkim1/_uimages/p47atm.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 01:03 AM
- If I'm going 900 kph and zoom with two jet engines, I
- think it should climb...well...like a jet going 900kph
- with two engines

We may be thinking modern "jets" with high thrust/weight ratios. Zoom climb in 262 should be like zoom climb in a unpowered glider. Put any old time pre~afterburner jet fighter nose up, and you lose alot of speed. Don't do it at home, and don't do it at Hyperlobby, or 791 will chase you tonight. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

iamsnip, for now, keep below 7km and you will Rule the skies in the 262. Just keep your speed up. You can still "outclimb" anything but climb very slowly as that keeps your speed up and you still outrun everything yet climb too. If you climb, just put the nose a little above horizon and keep your speed. Speed is the Me262. Me262 is the Speed. Climb it is not.

** At higher altitudes, the 262 is really messed up here. On 100% fuel I can't get it to stay above 8km. At 20% fuel, 9km.

Message Edited on 09/03/0312:13AM by LEXX_Luthor

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 01:20 AM
Shiiiiit. I'm a monster in that machine. I can take down anything. And who the hell is gonna get it above 10,000m? Why? What are you gonna shoot? Downlow its a beast.

I aint a pimp no mo. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 01:47 AM
mortoma wrote:

You should have tried it before the patch. Then it was modelled more authentically. Zoom climb is now no better than the over-modelled P-39!!!

the 262 is modeled now more to real life after the patch, needs a bit more tweaking but it feels now more like the real one most have felt to the pilots back in ww2.

yes, it is a jet but the technology back then was new, later jets began to fly more like what you espect a jet to fly like

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 05:33 AM
Well I disagree with some of you guys, for one thing, it definitely should have a better zoom climb, despite the early jet ( low T/W ratio ) Anything going 900Kph that has some good weight behind it and superb aerodynamics like the 262 should have a tremendous initial zoom climb. Sure, a good more thrust would help, and for sure the 262 was underpowered, but there's such a thing called kinetic energy. The 262 would store up huge reserves of energy once it got up to speed like that and the energy alone would get her pretty far up in the air. Farther, I'm afraid than the pitiful post-patch thing goes. Furthermore, not many of you realize just how aerodynamic the 262 really was. Not until the Korean war era did other planes come close to the super slickness of design. And they only matched it, they did not supass it. Few people in these forums seem to understand the laws of physics very well and I almost give up trying to explain basic physics. All I know is that you have a plane that is super slick, going fast, has some weight behind it. That mama is going to scream upwards!!! And although it had little thrust, it did have some so that would only help. The heavy weight of the beast would allow it to initially attain a huge bunch of altitude
from the stored energy but admittedly it would for sure peter out very suddenly due to the weight finally working against the climb, once it finally started losing it's energy. It would lose that speed pretty exponentially too. If you hypothetically had a very lightweight version of the same plane, it would then have a better T/W ratio, but develop less energy potential at 900Kph, being lighter weight, it would still go high without as much energy but not have the huge initial part of the zoom climb. But the higher T/W ratio would allow it to sustain a longer climb. Understanding physics as well as I do, I have pointed out in other posts that if you ( hypothetically again ) took a huge rubber band and slung the 262 to 900Kph, even with the engines dead and no thrust, it would still attain a pretty good bit of altitude if you pointed it upwards!! All you guys assume you know more and people like me are stupid to think it should perform like a F-15. However, we know as well as you that it should not perform like a modern jet, but we have a less simplistic grasp of physics than you, so we actually know a lot more. We know it should zoom climb better and have a better energy fighting capablity than it does now.
In fact, the German aces that flew it correctly, did use energy tactics in their bomber attacks. A style of energy fighting that can't be duplicated in the current post-patch
version. It simply does not hang onto the energy like it should. My opinion is very educated and will agrue incessantly about this because I know I'm right.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin - 1755

Message Edited on 09/03/03 04:37AM by mortoma

Message Edited on 09/03/03 04:47AM by mortoma

Message Edited on 09/03/03 04:54AM by mortoma

Message Edited on 09/03/0304:54AM by mortoma

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 08:52 AM
Since the patch the zoom climb of the P39 has been cut in half... First plane I tried when it came out and first thing I noticed, then I heard the naval AAA /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

<div align='center'>
<a href='http://greatergreen.com/il2/'>
http://members.shaw.ca/corn/il2sig2.jpg
</a>
</div>

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 11:42 AM
My physics knowledge leads me to conclude:
Launched by a rubber band and if there was no air then the weight of the 262 would count for nothing as every body decelerates at the same rate in gravity.

Including the effect of air (i.e. friction)
If the 262 is really more aerodynamic then it would experience less friction and reach a better height before falling.
Being more aerodynamic, under thrust it would clearly require less thrust per kg of weight too.

When your talking about moment of inertia overcoming the friction of the air as it rises - hasnt it already proven that by going really fast on the level - if it has enough thrust to overcome the friction to reach 900km/h then it must climb well.

In short: If a plane can go 900kmh on the level at a few km altitude and another plane can only go 700kmh then the first will always outclimb it.

So, what am I neglecting that can cause fast planes to climb like a fat lady up stairs?

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 12:04 PM
yummy cannons /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

http://www.x-plane.org/users/12thiaptbone/viper.jpg
47|FC