PDA

View Full Version : what dose it mean to Russians?

jugent
05-10-2005, 12:39 PM
The 60:th anaversary, of the end of the great patrotic war was celebrated greatly all over the world, but Moscow got most attention.
The reportes told us that Stalin was given much respect, so much that they found it similar to old days of the Soviet Union. They raised some new statues of him.

No one can take away that Stalins person contributed to the victory, as well as he did many bad things. I have read Stalin the red tsar.
What does you my russian friends say about this?
Interpritated the reporters the rebirt of Stalins honour right?
What is your opinion about him?

mynameisroland
05-10-2005, 12:49 PM
Jugent I know this is pedantic but the correct spelling is 'What does it mean to Russians?' Sorry it is just something I noticed along with the earlier thread about what it means to Germans.

I dont think Stalin deserves respect. I think he was feared and people were terrified of his power but this is different from respect. Stalin in many ways was worse than Hitler, at least ( and I know this is minor compared to his huge faults ) Hitler liked art and culture, even if he detested 'degenerate' art.

The Soviets beat the Germans , and contributed most to their collapse but this was with great aid both direct in the form of equipment and fuel ect and indirect through the MED campaign , bombing and then Dday. I believe that an unhindered Germany would beat Russia in 1941 - 1943 and after that be able to hold the Red army defensively. Stalin was no great Leader when the Whermacht were a few kms away from Moscow Stalin wanted to evacuate from his headquarters and flee further eastwards it took some brave pleading from his staff to persuade him to stay put and fight it out from the capital.

jugent
05-10-2005, 01:47 PM
I know about the spelling, I copied the headline from "what dose it mean to Germans"

JoachimvMayern
05-10-2005, 02:06 PM
Germany would have more than likely took the Soviet Union if they would have not bothered with rescources on England and Africa and maybe France but that is debatable. Also leaving the jews alone would have had a lesser impact on the Allies getting involved in the war. Simply put, Germany spread too far, too fast.

GuNzABlaZiN
05-10-2005, 02:23 PM
"A light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long."

Yes, Stalin was a horrible dictator BUT he pushed the people so much that it turned the tide of war. What would you do if you were given a choice of either going out into the street and fighting until your honorable and patriotic death OR getting shot in the back by your own while you desert them? Many were given that choice and most of them chose to fight and die for the motherland, god rest their souls.

If the Soviet Union fell, the war would have turned out much differently....

sparrow420
05-10-2005, 02:33 PM
Here is another thought...

Note that as the Germans approached Moscow, the Japanese started their run over South East Asia. They could only do that because they were sure that there was nothing to fear from the Russians.

Both parties (Japan and Russia) agreed on leaving eachother alone. Russia could use its army better to defend Moscow and Japan had other plans for its armed forces.

If Japan would have tied up the Russian troops, by keeping them close to the border or even invading Russia, Germany would have had a better chance, and Russia might have fallen.

So, in a way Russia and Japan have worked together during their first year of WWII...!

crazyivan1970
05-10-2005, 03:28 PM
I have a mixed feelings on the subject and replies... so i rather not to say anything.

noshens
05-10-2005, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by sparrow420:
Here is another thought...

Note that as the Germans approached Moscow, the Japanese started their run over South East Asia. They could only do that because they were sure that there was nothing to fear from the Russians.

Both parties (Japan and Russia) agreed on leaving eachother alone. Russia could use its army better to defend Moscow and Japan had other plans for its armed forces.

If Japan would have tied up the Russian troops, by keeping them close to the border or even invading Russia, Germany would have had a better chance, and Russia might have fallen.

So, in a way Russia and Japan have worked together during their first year of WWII...!
That's nice!
Too bad this has nothing to do with the topic http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

noshens
05-10-2005, 03:40 PM
I am Ukrainian. Stalin is responsible for killing millions of Ukrainians during the peace time. However, I pay tribute to Stalin today, in the day of VE, for his contribution to the victory, but I'll hate him tomorow and the day after for killing so many Ukrainians and other people. Each person has a good and bad side, nothing we can do about it.

HellToupee
05-10-2005, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by mynameisroland:
Stalin was no great Leader when the Whermacht were a few kms away from Moscow Stalin wanted to evacuate from his headquarters and flee further eastwards it took some brave pleading from his staff to persuade him to stay put and fight it out from the capital.

Um wasnt it the other way around, the book stalingrad puts his staff urging him to leave moscow and he wanted to stay.

VW-IceFire
05-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Yeah I'm fairly certain it was Stalin who drew a line in the sand at Moscow...if the capital fell, he figured he might as go with it since Russia was pretty much done for at that point. The drive to Moscow was the first of a number of points in the war where the tide was eventually turned.

Stalin was a very succesful/terrible dictator...millions killed or imprisoned for political reasons, suspicion, and the like. But apparently many Russians long for the day...things were otherwise very stable. I don't understand it...but history is history.

tjaika1910
05-11-2005, 05:31 AM
The russians lost about 26 millions in WWII. Without Stalin they could maybe have won losing less than half as much. And without Stalin they would have not lost the 20 million prior to the WWII.

Maybe, without Stalin there would have been no WWII at all? Who knows

Stalin and Hitler where two of a kind. And allies in the beginning at the war, when attacking Poland together.

LStarosta
05-11-2005, 02:19 PM
I'll just put it in simple terms. I hate the bastard, and given the chance, I would have killed him with my bare hands.