PDA

View Full Version : Engine Management problems with A-20G: Anyone help?

mandrill7
06-11-2006, 06:04 AM
I'm writing a campaign for the A-20G and am flying it quite a bit. I'm having issues with "engine overheat". When the engine overheats, it appears impossible to cool it back down by cutting throttle and opening the rads. The engine stays overheated indefinitely.

What's more, the engines become uncontrollable. When I attempt to reduce power to land the plane, the throttle is unresponsive and will not cut. Result is that the plane is basically unlandable. It just continues flying without losing speed.

Anyone else have these problems? In RL, what would be happening here?

I did some test flights of the A-20G in the QMB following my FMB problems and the non-overheated engines seem to throttle back and reduce speed no problem.

mandrill7
06-11-2006, 06:04 AM
I'm writing a campaign for the A-20G and am flying it quite a bit. I'm having issues with "engine overheat". When the engine overheats, it appears impossible to cool it back down by cutting throttle and opening the rads. The engine stays overheated indefinitely.

What's more, the engines become uncontrollable. When I attempt to reduce power to land the plane, the throttle is unresponsive and will not cut. Result is that the plane is basically unlandable. It just continues flying without losing speed.

Anyone else have these problems? In RL, what would be happening here?

I did some test flights of the A-20G in the QMB following my FMB problems and the non-overheated engines seem to throttle back and reduce speed no problem.

Kernow
06-11-2006, 06:33 AM
Don't bother with rad on any plane with a Wright engine; they don't do anything other than increase drag, so keep 'em closed. This bug has been around since PF came out and it seems it still hasn't been (will never be?) fixed. (B-25, SBD, USN fighters all affected)

To cool the engine cut throttle and rpm. Not too sure what is causing your other problems.

mandrill7
06-11-2006, 06:05 PM
Thanks. My strategy today has been to fly at relatively low engine power most of the time: 50-70%. Speed seems to keep up okay and the overheat problem was kept at bay. The only time I throttled up was over the target and when being chased by a 109.

vocatx
06-11-2006, 06:52 PM
Are you flying at 100% prop pitch continually? If you reduce your RPMs, you can reduce the manifold pressure (throttle), and get the same or higher speed.

This link will help you if you take the time to watch the video. Yes, much of the information contained is transferrable to this sim. I have learned how to get more performance from several aircraft by watching these videos.

http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/A-20.html

VW-IceFire
06-11-2006, 08:37 PM
Sounds like engine damage. The A-20G has some pretty sophisticated damage modeling in the series (earlier planes do not have this). On occasion the throttle linkages are cut and the engine is stuck at 100% or whatever you left it at before it was damaged. Sometimes you still have pitch control and you can try and bring it under control that way. Sometimes you have to try and cut it before landing and land on one engine with the other prop windmilling with no feathering (as that linkage is broken as well).

Overheat isn't a serious issue but its like any newer plane in the game...110% for extended periods brings on a rapid and difficult to overcome overheat.

mandrill7
06-19-2006, 07:23 PM
Interesting suggestion. I may well have picked up damage as I was flying over heavy flak at low level. Will experiment a little more and see what happens.

Thanks for the input.