PDA

View Full Version : Velocity High Explosives and Damage

jugent
12-18-2005, 02:01 AM
I have noticed that when I use the 30mm nosegun of a Me-109, it seems as a hit from close distance more often kills, or gives more damage than a hit from far away.

As far as I know, the nosegun didÔ┬┤nt fire AP-projectiles.

I dont think that a velocity-difference of +- 50m/s on a HE-projectile have significant influence of the damage on the target.

Have anyone else noticed that hits with HE at close distance, inflicts much more damagage than one from lets say 300-350 meters?

Canasoppa
12-18-2005, 02:32 AM
Not the velocity alone, the mass of the bullet. 30mm has 3 times higher mass than 20mm. If I remember correctly.

You can calculate the energy of the bullet with velocity and mass. Bigger the bullet and higher the velocity, more damage it makes plus if it is HE it explodes.

jugent
12-18-2005, 04:42 AM
Isnt the Kinetic energy lost when the HE explodes, and the whole destructive force comes from the chemical enery in the exploading device?
The velocity makes the schrapnels fly according to the trajectory, and thats all.

LStarosta
12-18-2005, 06:44 AM
I read somewhere about certain HE projectiles being fused to explode after penetrating the aircraft's skin to maximize damage from the inside.

Then it would make sense that with higher velocity, the projectile could penetrate the skin of the aircraft more easily before exploding, maximizing damage.

jugent
12-18-2005, 12:48 PM
I dont think so, it would contradict the purpose of the "minegeschoss".
The projectile got more explosives and less metal.
It is supposed to explode and make big holes in the skin of the a/c so the drag should tear up a bigger hole.
While shooting at ships its better to get the shell to explode inside the hull, but not in aircrafts.
It is difficult to set a delay-initialized detonator in such a small projectile, it is possible but I dont think its wort it.
They got a trajectory-fuse that prevented the projectile to explode before it was some 50m away from the muzzle. It was used for AAA, to protect the crew if the by misstake fired through branches and leafes.
If you remember where ut read about the inside explosion, it would be most interesting to read about it.