PDA

View Full Version : About FX5900XT

Maasi
11-10-2004, 05:26 AM
Hi everybody! This is my first post here,so i´m sorry if this is in wrong area. Simple question, i have radeon 9600 card and i´m buying new one. I was thinking pny´s FX5900XT card but is it wort it? Can this card handle IL2+expansions with decent framerates?(or with AA and AF enabled)The card is only for IL2FB/AEP/PF so i don´t need any "Doom 3 card"

Golgo47
11-10-2004, 06:46 AM
I have one and my PF runs fine at Excellent settings. With lots in the air it sometimes stutters, but only slightly.

PriK
11-10-2004, 09:08 AM
The 5900XT is a good mid/high-end budget card as of a few months ago when I bought mine. It works great for what it is which is still a far sight better than the 9600 but you may want to consider a 6600GT (AGP) for under $200 in a couple weeks once they come out cause you'll get a lot more for your money.

Maasi
11-10-2004, 10:00 AM
Thanx guys http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gifjust what i wanted to know,so it works decent enough and that´s fine for me(i´m poor student so i got no money for the best cards at the market) one thing still puzzles me(sorry, i forget to ask it in my previous post), will 300W psu be enough or do i need to upgrade that too,and if i consider that 6600GT, that probably automatically means i gotta buy better psu, right?

Supr
11-10-2004, 12:14 PM
depends on your power supply. Some hi quality 300 watt supplies are better then el cheapo 450 watt supplies.

As far as the 5900, if I were you. id wait, save a few more dollars, and spring for the 6600 or 6800 is even better, from ati, you have an x700 in the midrange stuff. (If they're even available in agp format), the 5900s were not considered the greatest, even when they were new, and that 9600 is serviceable. It unlikely that a 5900 would make a major difference like one of the newer generation cards should. You should do some googling and go check out some reviews to see how they all stack up against each other, and also how the scale on different levels of cpus. Alot does depends on the rest of your system. There is no reason to stick a hi end card in a low end sytem without the cpu power to push it. If your cpu is holding you back, then the most powerful graphics card in the world wont make much of a difference. System balance is important if your worried about wasting money. Good Luck

Maasi
11-10-2004, 01:24 PM
I have XP2600+/512 ddr ram. That´s one reason why i was thinking that FX5900XT, i know that this set up can´t handle those fancy new cards, and if buy one of those it would be waste of money. Well maybe i should buy more ram... ahhhh decisions, decisions...

Slingn
11-10-2004, 01:34 PM
start with the ram, its cheaper, and will probably make you happier right off the bat. Even with a 5900, i wouldn't count on being too pleased with perfect mode. Besides, I think your cpu would be fine for a 6600 or x700. one of the 6800 or x800 may be a tad overkill, but not much. Ever think of oc'n your 2600? Dont do it if your not willing to really learn about the pros and cons, and how to properly do it. but if your game to try, i know several people with their barton cores up over 2.3ghz. That's well beyond 3200 speeds, then you'd be sure to get the most out of one of the newer cards. GL