PDA

View Full Version : flight controls etc

vermin307
12-09-2006, 11:29 AM
Im a newb to the game, and have X52 siatek, the plane I fly does great in the air,lands fine, but on take off from a carrier, I launch on level flight and the plane stalls out and rolls right on take off.....any ideas?? plus I have the patches isntalled, but on some planes, the game freezes before it launches? any ideas here..thanks for any info...

horseback
12-09-2006, 12:15 PM
For game freezes, remember that this game is very demanding of system resources. When I first added PF to my existing Forgotten Battles, I couldn't get it to run at all on my primary system, and only in DirectX in my less powerful secondary computer. What it took was to update all the motherboard, soundcard, and videocard drivers, defrag, and add another 512 of RAM.

As for the stall and roll problem, the only time I experienced anything like that was when I assigned an axis to aileron trim, but forgot to center it before takeoff...

cheers

horseback<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

"Here's your new Mustangs, boys. You can learn to fly'em on the way to the target. Cheers!" -LTCOL Don Blakeslee, 4th FG CO, February 27th, 1944

OMK_Hand
12-09-2006, 01:50 PM
Hi vermin307.

Any plane in particular that rolls to the right?
Or all of them.

More information please.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

OMK_Handsome

Keep the Faith.

vermin307
12-09-2006, 11:24 PM
Seems to just be the Corsair?? I made sure I set the trims to neutral based on Horsebacks info and I was able to get the F4F , F6F and SBD off the deck with no problem. The Corsair F4u D clears the deck with no problem, and then shortly there after rolls right and into the drink.....Any thoughts??? I am thinking it is something I am missing

vermin307
12-09-2006, 11:45 PM
I guess it only worked once, I just tried them all again and i rolled right with all aircraft right after clearing the flight deck...sono im clueless..any input would be welcome

Yellow_Sub
12-10-2006, 02:07 AM
Many X-52 users prefer to set every value of Aileron,Elevator and Rudder setup to 100%. With the default values the X-52 tends to be very slow.

You can use this tool to change the values.

http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=1021

Click on save to profile, name it default

Click on Elevator, then click on All Max. Same with Aileron and Rudder

Click on save to profile, name it 100

Click on save to Conf.ini to use your new joystick settings.

I am not an expert in carrier take-off's and crash myself often. Before you remove the chocks, give max throttle and wait till the engine reaches it highest RPM. You might also increase the fuel mixture and use WEP. Trimming your plane a bit up might help too. Also some combinations are very hard to start (especially on a non moving carrier) like to much fuel or a to heavy loadout.

You will find plenty of tips for carrier take-off's, if you search for the word 'chocks'.

effte
12-10-2006, 10:12 AM
What you need to realize is

A) Under some conditions, e g slow-moving carrier, heavy aircraft etc, you will come off the deck at the verge of stall.

B) If you stall, you'll go in the drink. If you stall one wing, you'll flip and go in the drink. In Il-2, pretty much every stall will mean dropping a wing.

C) Using aileron on the verge of a stall is a good way to provoke a stall.

D) Pulling on the elevator on the verge of a stall will provoke a stall.

In other words, there are two things you do not want to do on take-off: Manhandle the elevator and use the ailerons.

It will be easier if you take off with the right trim setting. Set slightly positive (up) trim on your pre-takeoff checklist. Then, once you are clear of the deck, do not use the ailerons for roll control. Use the rudder instead. If the take-off is really marginal, you may need to use the few meters of altitude you have at the edge of the flight deck and actually descend a bit before climbing out.

Make sure to get the gear up ASAP.

Rgds,
/Fred

OMK_Hand
12-10-2006, 10:38 AM
What effte said.

The game equivalent of:
1 degree nose up elevator trim ('a little bit')
6 degrees right wing down aileron trim ('a little bit more')
6 degrees nose right rudder trim ('the same as....')

Lock tailwheel
Full flaps
Full power
Chocks away
Hold the tail on the deck ('pull back on stick') until one is passing the ship's superstructure, then let the tail come up.

I think this works ok.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

OMK_Handsome

Keep the Faith.

dravisar
12-11-2006, 01:07 AM
Came outta the woodwork to 2nd everything these guys said http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

1. Go full power, full WEP power, with chocks in, flaps max down, radiators closed...pull the chocks...

2. Try and swing the nose a little right at the beginning of your roll so the engine torque evens you out and you use up all the deck

3. Right before you clear the deck, pull back a tad on the stick: I do this, so when the nose goes over and my plane drops a tad, I dont overcorrect: this ALWAYS leads to a left wing stall and whammy, water.

I learned all this with a F4U with a full bomb and rocket/load. I want to say 1x1000 2x500 and 8 HVAR rockets<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

---------------------------------
I love this game.
BF109G6/AS pilot since 2004, and a Finn campaign that changed it all...

vermin307
12-12-2006, 02:24 PM
well, looks like it was a combination of all the above,got my carier take offs working, thanks for all the help...http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif