PDA

View Full Version : AI Landing in Dynamic Campaign

XyZspineZyX
10-20-2003, 08:39 AM
Middle of a dynamic campaign - latest mission is to move to a new airfield. The new airfield is located in a small valley. The AI pilots approach during landing is made in such a way that all of them crash.

If I land first and end the mission - I get no "apply" button - just the "refly" button. If I wait until the whole squadron is above the airfield - then end mission - still just get the "refly" button. I'd like to finish the mission and move on in the campaign - without losing all 8 aircraft and pilots in my flight - plus the remaining transport aircraft.

Any suggestions?

XyZspineZyX
10-20-2003, 08:39 AM
Middle of a dynamic campaign - latest mission is to move to a new airfield. The new airfield is located in a small valley. The AI pilots approach during landing is made in such a way that all of them crash.

If I land first and end the mission - I get no "apply" button - just the "refly" button. If I wait until the whole squadron is above the airfield - then end mission - still just get the "refly" button. I'd like to finish the mission and move on in the campaign - without losing all 8 aircraft and pilots in my flight - plus the remaining transport aircraft.

Any suggestions?

XyZspineZyX
10-20-2003, 10:18 AM
Start again, with "No instant success" turned off. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

That allows you to skip the frustrating/boring/stupid missions that DGEN turns out on occasion.

You should be able to continue by landing first though - make sure you're landing at the right end of the runway, cause I know I had a mission where the "Success" flag happened on only the "landing" half of the runway.

Otherwise, bad luck I guess.

XyZspineZyX
10-20-2003, 10:48 AM
That's right... The best way is in fact to quit the mission as soon as you see the airfield, so nobody crashes. Or even quit the mission as soon as it begins...

Whenever the 'no instant success' option is off, you can quit any mission at any time, and provided your plane is not on fire (or too damaged to get home), it's considered as a routine mission. No success, no failure, you just get some "not every day brings glory" message, and you're on for the next.

I happen to use this option quite often, for a simple reason : some of the missions are bugged indeed, and can simply ruin your career.

I remember being blown away right before take off, because the airfield was attacked by 2 Yaks. Being number 4 in the queue, I couldn't do anything but wait for the others to take off, meanwhile the Yaks would strike 80% of our flight, including me. That's when I first turned the no instant success option to off. As soon as the mission started, I quit, and got a routine message...

It also helps whenever the automatic generator gives you an endless 25 minutes flight with 0 ennemies and one miserable tank to destroy !

XyZspineZyX
10-20-2003, 01:28 PM
No words of wisdom? No secret suggestions? I really didn't want to give this guy up - 50+ missions and 61 kills so far.

I am stuck in a 109E-4 - while I do like the (2) 20mm wing cannon - it does give up a little in the speed department and having only 60 or so shells for the cannon does make for some ammo management issues. I guess I could start again. Thanks for the tips.

BTW - when you move from one campaign module to the next - How does the game decide which a/c you will fly next? I'm pretty sure I understand from fighter-bomber to fighter-bomber (say from I-153PS to Early model Sturmovik). When you're in a fighter campaign - how does it choose then?

If I was to finish this module of the campaign - I could go to a 190-A4, a 109F-4, or a 109G-2. Is there some logic routine? Or is it just random chance?

XyZspineZyX
10-20-2003, 01:37 PM
The game doesn't decide what AC you get, you do!

When making a new campaign, you can chose from available aircraft for each section of the campaign, so you can have the best available every time if you want. Just select the aircraft you want in advance, chose when you want to start and away you go! (the plane type is a drop down menu, it just doesn't look like it)

XyZspineZyX
10-20-2003, 02:35 PM
True - When starting a campaign - you can use the drop down box to select your starting aircraft.

However when you finish that module/segment - and automatically go on to the next module/segment - you're assigned to an aircraft. I believe one poster went from a fighter campaign to a fighter-bomber campaign.

How does the system select the next a/c you will fly? A logic routine? Random chance?

XyZspineZyX
10-20-2003, 03:06 PM
No, you select _all_ of them first, and it uses those selections all the way through the campaign.

It confused me too!

XyZspineZyX
10-20-2003, 03:44 PM
JNL123 wrote:
- No words of wisdom? No secret suggestions? I
- really didn't want to give this guy up - 50+
- missions and 61 kills so far.

On some airfields most AI aircraft will crash when they approach from a certain direction. That's not a mission fault, but a map/AI bug that was not there in IL-2 1.2. I hope it will get fixed eventually in the next patch!

Something you could try, but I haven't tested it and don't know if it works in campaign modus: Open the mission in the Full Mission Builder and let the flights approach the airfield from the opposite direction. If that airfield is your regular base you may have to edit many missions, though.

---------------
http://home.arcor.de/rayluck/sturmovik/stulogo-banner.jpg (http://home.arcor.de/rayluck/sturmovik/)

Kampagne für IL-2 1.2: I-16 - Kampf im Kaukasus (Deutsch) (http://home.arcor.de/rayluck/sturmovik/kampagne.html)

XyZspineZyX
10-20-2003, 07:25 PM
Thanks - I appreciate the input.

I think I'll just bag this campaign and turn off "no instant success" and start another.

Also - thanks for squaring away the aircraft selection process as well - to be honest I don't remember the selections I made. A redo will give me the chance to select what I want to fly from the start.

The Dynamic Generator can come up with some pretty stupid stuff - but all in all this has been a good product. I've had more than a couple of hours of flight sim goodness. Zapping a few more I-16s from the start of the war won't kill me (hopefully!)

XyZspineZyX
10-20-2003, 08:00 PM
Yes, there's an airfield on one of the maps that has a hill off the end on the runway that's higher than the level of the runway. The AI simply fly their approach into the hill instead of over it. I had it happen once, but forget which airfield and which map it's on.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin - 1755

XyZspineZyX
10-20-2003, 08:36 PM
Hi JNL

There's a way to change the current plane you're flying, just in case you forgot to make the choices or maybe the plane doesn't fit your expectations or maybe your skill doesn't fit his requirements /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif .

Go check

http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view.asp?board_id=29&id=zezbs

http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view.asp?board_id=29&id=zfewq

Good flight to you !

XyZspineZyX
10-20-2003, 08:53 PM
Can you open the mission in the Full Mission Builder and modify it? I've done that after I've flownmissions that I liked and I wanted to save the map with all of the computer generated AA, planes, etc.

You could try yo reprogram the AI planes approach to a higher altitude, etc.

It would be worth a try.