PDA

View Full Version : Someone who can read Russian... can tell me what is it?

Itto_Okami
12-06-2004, 03:51 PM
Very weird airplane... the one outlined in red
this is the link:

http://mkmagazin.almanacwhf.ru/avia/is_4.htm

S!

Itto

3.JG51_BigBear
12-06-2004, 04:27 PM
The type of the plane isn't identified in the legend underneath the diagram. It does however identify it as a fighter from 1947.

Blottogg
12-07-2004, 12:02 AM
My ability to read/speak Russian stinks, but the article seems to deal with a series of aircraft/designs centered around the retractable biplane idea. In "Soviet Combat Aircraft of World War II, Vol. 1" under the designer Nikitin, there are pictures of several models/prototypes that were built. The idea was to have a biplane for takeoff and landing, then retract the lower wings into hollows on the bottoms of the upper wings for low drag. Like Communism, it was an idea better in theory than practice. The drawing in red on the website looks to be a combination of this retractable biplane concept also incorporating variable geometry, or swing wings. I can only shudder as I imagine the unholy mess of hinges and pivots required to articulate that mess.

Itto_Okami
12-07-2004, 04:45 PM
Thanks a lot BigBear and Blottogg. I was thinking if there was someone so brave to just think to test a design like that... try to image one of those things with just one undercarriage leg working after combat...

S!

Itto

3.JG51_BigBear
12-07-2004, 09:33 PM
They pictured this thing going 729kph and then landing at just over 100kph. It is a testiment to my ability to read the Russian language that it took me four days to come up with that little tid bit.

HansKnappstick
12-08-2004, 07:00 AM
...but they also describe the max airspeed of the biplane configuration as 436 kph, which I honestly doubt.

But the name is cool: Monobiplane.

Anyway, abandoning this project saved many lives of soviet pilots, probably.

mi076
12-17-2004, 11:25 PM
Hi,

the story is about pilot and constructor Wladimir Shevchenko and an idea of monobiplane - plain with additional wing for landings.
1938 - Shevchenko reported about his plane to scientists of air force scientific and research institite.
1939 - full size model and later first plane for
IS-1 aerodynamic tests (future Presidend of Academy of Scienticts of the USSR Keldish worked on vibration test).
June 1940 - IS-1 first flights, one month later first tests with wings.
Second machine IS-2 was build and the next one - IS-4 (with 18 cylinder water cooling engine) was started. The results were excellent but project was stopped after german invasion. Shevchenko flied 122 missions defending Moscow. Therefore he created on paper several projects with changing geometry of the wings.
Future soviet, french and american planes with changing wing's geometry confirmed his idea.

Technical data is about IS-4, it had two speeds - as monoplne 720 km/h and as biplane 436 km/h,
landing biplane speed - 107 km/h.

The picture is from IS-1 real plane.