PDA

View Full Version : Problems in 1946 (PC version)

bmoffa
03-18-2007, 03:35 PM
I am new to games, but have been developing computer software for over 40 years. I've been developing for Windows, nearly sinces its first release.

1. Several times when attacking a bomber or similar type of aircraft from the rear, the screen will go completely black. I can still exit the mission by hitting ESC. It may be because I am being killed, but in older versions the screen was tinted red and I was informed on my injuries.

2. Most of the time, when I get completely out of the game, the process IL2FB.EXE is still running. I have to kill it with the Windows Task Manager. Some of my other programs can't start when it is in that condition.

3. All the Japanese aircraft seem to be more heavily armed in the 1946 version. I think this is an error. Most Japanese aircraft of the time were poorly armored. In the 1946 version I can empty my guns into a G4M1 and it stays up. In the Pacific Fighters standalone (most current updates applied), one or two bursts would take them out. I am a bit suspicious because when I exit the mission, my kills show up as red stars instead of circles.

4. On many occasions, when the program finally starts, it does not respond to the mouse and/or keyboard. This seems to happen if the keyboard or mouse is used something during the load process.

Some Requests:

1. When I toggle the speed bar to Miles and Feet, I would really like it to stay that way. Why not make it a configuration option (my preference). Or, set it based on what side you are flying for, i.e. for US make it common US units, for USSR, make it metric, etc.

2. The load time on initial start up is extremely long. Why not use a starter program so the user, can see something immediately. I have accidentally started it more that once, because I didn't see anything happening.

berg417448
03-18-2007, 04:47 PM
The screen going black means you were killed. It has always been that way for me with all versions of this game.

I have not noticed any change in the DM of Japanese aircraft.

MrMojok
03-18-2007, 06:32 PM
That mouse issue does indeed happen to some folks. I know this is no answer, but the concensus seems to be just leave the mouse alone until you get to the main FB screen.

I'd like to be able to keep the speedbar in mph as well, but it has never been an option.

As for the Japanese DM, are you sure you are using realistic gunnery in both scenarios? it should be pretty much the same in PF and 1946.

And for the executable still running after exit, I've not heard that one before. That might be a good issue to post HERE (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/49310655)

Bearcat99
03-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by bmoffa:
I am new to games, but have been developing computer software for over 40 years. I've been developing for Windows, nearly sinces its first release.

............. and?

1. Several times when attacking a bomber or similar type of aircraft from the rear, the screen will go completely black. I can still exit the mission by hitting ESC. It may be because I am being killed, but in older versions the screen was tinted red and I was informed on my injuries.

You have been killed.. you are dead. Probably a headshot.

2. Most of the time, when I get completely out of the game, the process IL2FB.EXE is still running. I have to kill it with the Windows Task Manager. Some of my other programs can't start when it is in that condition.

That is wierd.. I dont have that problem.

3. All the Japanese aircraft seem to be more heavily armed in the 1946 version. I think this is an error. Most Japanese aircraft of the time were poorly armored. In the 1946 version I can empty my guns into a G4M1 and it stays up. In the Pacific Fighters standalone (most current updates applied), one or two bursts would take them out. I am a bit suspicious because when I exit the mission, my kills show up as red stars instead of circles.

There is only one version of 46 first off... I dont ever recall seeing red circles in the kill section..... but hey thats just me. Not only that.... The Bettys probably take more to kill because you aren't hitting them as much as you think. The FMs in PF standalone were I believe before the FM improvements in one of those patches.. I forget which... but 46 has it.. so you have to be more accurate.

4. On many occasions, when the program finally starts, it does not respond to the mouse and/or keyboard. This seems to happen if the keyboard or mouse is used something during the load process.

Some Requests:

1. When I toggle the speed bar to Miles and Feet, I would really like it to stay that way. Why not make it a configuration option (my preference). Or, set it based on what side you are flying for, i.e. for US make it common US units, for USSR, make it metric, etc.

Me too... that would be nice... I remember when there was no toggle to miles & feet.. so although I would like to have a section in the config file to set a defalt speedbar setting... it isnt that way now.. so I just suck it up and ALT+S 2x when I get into a mission. Thats the way it is.

2. The load time on initial start up is extremely long. Why not use a starter program so the user, can see something immediately. I have accidentally started it more that once, because I didn't see anything happening.

Patience is a virtue so they say.... although you might want to try reinstalling the sim from scratch again. It loads up PDQ for me.

oh yeah.... Welcome aboard.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Waldo.Pepper
03-18-2007, 08:20 PM
The exe still running is because of the copy protection that is included with 46 methinks.

Also if I am not mistaken the victory (kill) markings in the mission summary screen are little commie red stars in 46 because that is what they were in il-2 and Oleg et al, never bothered to change them in all merged installations. However, in STAND ALONE Pacific Fighters this is not the case and it is mentioned in a readme somewhere. But I cannot be bothered to find it now.

Welcome.

Bearcat99
03-18-2007, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
The exe still running is because of the copy protection that is included with 46 methinks.

Also if I am not mistaken the victory (kill) markings in the mission summary screen are little commie red stars in 46 because that is what they were in il-2 and Oleg et al, never bothered to change them in all merged installations. However, in STAND ALONE Pacific Fighters this is not the case and it is mentioned in a readme somewhere. But I cannot be bothered to find it now.

Welcome.

Hmmmm maybe thats why I never sawit.. if thats the case then that would be another little option that would be great to add to the config file along with the default speedbar thing.

slappedsilly
03-19-2007, 02:49 PM
(PC version)

Is there another?

MajorBloodnok
03-20-2007, 07:32 AM
I got the one that consisted of little flat cardboard planes on sticks. Hours of fun for all the family. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Choctaw111
03-20-2007, 09:17 AM
Sometimes I get the same problem with the mouse not working when I load Il2. The simplest way I have found to fix this is to hit the "Windows Start" key (bottom left on my M$ keyboard) to minimize Il2 and then click the minimized Il2 tab at the bottom of the screen and after Il2 is back up on your screen your mouse should be working again. I hope I described this in a manner so as not to confuse you.

p-11.cAce
03-20-2007, 10:01 AM

On a positive note last night I used a new startup sequence when going online to fly and it actually worked. This sequence NEVER worked for me prior to 46: Saitek profile activated, TIR active and view tracking confirmed, hyperlobby logged on, 334th dedicated (46 started to load), Team Speak Noise active, Team Speak Overlay active and enabled, Team Speak active and logged into proper channel, (46 loaded), ALT+Tab to pull up the menu screen and I'm good to go http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif And people think Falcon4.0 has a complicated start up procedure http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
03-20-2007, 10:30 AM
black screen's been covered, FB.EXE+task manager, too, let's see, Japanese bombers...

Some Japanese bombers have a 20MM cannon in the tail and in the turret. Some don't. A good way to check about lethality of Japanese aerial weaponry is to check the specifications of the aircraft in a real life reference book, such as "JANE'S encyclopedia of aviation"

In my opinion, it is common misconception that Japanese bombers were all lightly armed. Some myths refuse to die, but it is easy to check up on armament http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Red Stars for victories:

The Red Stars are a carry over from days gone by, when the sim was Il2Sturmovik. This is known and acknowledged by the developer. It will not be changed as it has absolutely nothing to do with game performance at all. It is just a graphic, and it has always been that way. The sim never, ever, ever displayed "red Circles", which are Japansese hinomarus, or national emblems, often referred to as "meatballs", to denote a victory, unless my copies of Il2Sturmovik, Forgotten Battles, AEP, PF, and now 1946 have all had something wrong with them http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Your survivability in attacking ANY bomber in the sim is a subject far too complex for discussion here. Also too complex for this discussion is gunnery and how to attack your targets and where. Suffice to say that after an arbitrary 100 strikes, the plane is not required to go down http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif You are simply hitting the target in non-critical areas. Trust me here, I'm well versed in shooting Japanese targets in this sim http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif These two subjects are good candidates for their own topics

Mouse and keyboard:

well, why are you playing with the mouse and keyboard during start up? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Sometimes I have seen the WinXP cursor instead of the in-game one on start up. I alt+tab out, open TM, turn TM off, and then click the 1946 taskbar icon, then all is well. Very rare occurance

Your requests:

1) Many people have asked for this. It has not been considered important enough to change. It takes two taps of the spacebar. Not a horrible inconvenience http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif This will not be "fixed"

2) Start up times actually seem quicker to me with 1946. The copy protection takes about 30 seconds to verify the DVD, then the actual load is more rapid than previous versions, on my PC