PDA

View Full Version : Never had this happen before!!

mortoma
07-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Weird, I flew a campaign mission in P-39D2 on New Guinea map. All seemed ok and normal but as I got up to altitude to kill a Betty, upon shooting it exploded instantaneously as if I had 'realistic gunnery' switched off!! Thinking it a fluke, I went down to ground level to get a Hamp off the six of an AI mate. Well, I got a few hits on the Hamp and "BOOM"!! It just melted too, just like the Betty did. I have always flown full switch on gunnery and FM, although not necessarily as far as maps and icons. And that's going back to original IL2. Always full switch on the things that count. I just wonder what caused that because I flew the next mission and the super gunnery was gone, it had returned to normal. Never had that happen before of since.

mortoma
07-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Weird, I flew a campaign mission in P-39D2 on New Guinea map. All seemed ok and normal but as I got up to altitude to kill a Betty, upon shooting it exploded instantaneously as if I had 'realistic gunnery' switched off!! Thinking it a fluke, I went down to ground level to get a Hamp off the six of an AI mate. Well, I got a few hits on the Hamp and "BOOM"!! It just melted too, just like the Betty did. I have always flown full switch on gunnery and FM, although not necessarily as far as maps and icons. And that's going back to original IL2. Always full switch on the things that count. I just wonder what caused that because I flew the next mission and the super gunnery was gone, it had returned to normal. Never had that happen before of since.

cawimmer430
07-10-2007, 09:40 AM
"The Force is with you!" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

http://www.starwars-tw.com/story/character/jedi/yoda-ep2.jpg

DKoor
07-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Weird enough, I just blew off one Hamp and one Zeke after one burst.
But it happens very frequently for me.... I close in on them and simply pull the trigger. Obviously they are very very fragile ac... but thing is that happened on Eastern Front too..... although it really isn't a common sight there.

BTW 90% of my early war campaign .50cal kills in PTo is when EA lost a wing (+other structural failures) or simply explode.
But me continue to shoot at them after they already had some may have to do with it :P .

cawimmer430
07-10-2007, 09:53 AM
I forgot to add that I once did a ground attack on a row of parked IL-2's with a Stuka. I used the Stuka's weak machine guns. One of the parked IL-2's blew up immediately. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Dagnabit
07-10-2007, 06:40 PM
I have had some weird AI experiences too. The other day I was watching a track I had just flown. I was curious as to how I had lost two planes in my flight somehow. As it turned out they had collided while flying close formation. But in observing closely I noticed that both planes had actually started to morph into a damage model sort of gradually, before they even made contact. 2 P47s and the tail sections seperated then both exploded. Last night I noticed that 3 of my AI allies (red) landed on a blue airfield after all the shooting was over, They were spawned aircraft and had no airfield of their own per se. (YP80s)

Always Fun
Dag

leitmotiv
07-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Is the D2 the version with the 20mm or the standard 37mm?---no matter---were you using the cannon plus your m.g. battery? A cannon hit in the unprotected fuel tanks is enough to send a Betty or Hamp to the Yasukuni Shrine instantaneously. I'd wager you had average luck twice in a row, congratulations! If this is happening with a Bf 110 vs. some B-17Gs, I'd state definitely you are rolling snake eyes with preternatural efficiency!

mortoma
07-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Well it was the 20mm version. But I have flown a lot of missions in the D1, D2 and the P-400s and almost all of them against Japanese Zekes, Hamps KI-43s and of course Betties!! I have never seen anything like that. Especially not from the angles I was shooting. From high angles underneath Zekes and KIs I have gotten them to blow up but only after multiple bursts. Most of the time I have to really pummel Zekes and KIs and then I will eventually get a wing on fire or clip a wing off or something. And I almost always have to shoot and shoot to get a Betty down. It was just a weird experience.

mortoma
07-10-2007, 07:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:
Is the D2 the version with the 20mm or the standard 37mm?---no matter---were you using the cannon plus your m.g. battery? A cannon hit in the unprotected fuel tanks is enough to send a Betty or Hamp to the Yasukuni Shrine instantaneously. I'd wager you had average luck twice in a row, congratulations! If this is happening with a Bf 110 vs. some B-17Gs, I'd state definitely you are rolling snake eyes with preternatural efficiency! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Far from average luck since I've flown the Pacific Airacobra a lot and they are always armed with the 20mm. I would have to edit the Dgen scripts to get them armed with the 37mm for a campaign.
I have shot down hundreds of Zekes, Hamps and Betties, so I'm used to normal results. And yes, as is my manner, I always shoot mgs and cannon at the same time. My method is to give enemy aircraft all I've got to shoot with at the same time!! I am not conservative with ammo either, which is why I hate Yaks and other planes with small loads. I would love Yaks if they had more ammo though.

leitmotiv
07-10-2007, 07:31 PM
Gee. I often get blow ups with Zeros. I can't recall ever blowing up a Betty of either flavor. I am a point-blank shooter---maybe that's why I get combustion so often. I, too, favor the P-39/P-400 at times. The battery can be lethal to Zeros and Oscars.

LStarosta
07-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Did you turn off your targeting computer?

heywooood
07-10-2007, 07:54 PM
nah..he started off on their six...and when they pulled through the clouds, he was inverted.

I've got a really good polaroid of it here somewhere....

leitmotiv
07-10-2007, 08:07 PM
I favor the HAL 9000.

Korolov1986
07-10-2007, 08:14 PM
Zeke has a vulnerability in the belly - if you pop it hard enough, it will explode every time.

ake109
07-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Anyone ever got a B-17 to explode without resorting to Mk108s and bigger guns?

I can't recall MGs or 20mms' making B-17s go BOOM!

leitmotiv
07-10-2007, 11:59 PM
Good question. I think, maybe, while raking one over and over, wingtip to wingtip, with the MG151 belly pack combined with the nose 151s from my 110G I managed to blow some back in my terrorflieger hunting days. Ah, the MG151 is a great cannon. You are right. The MK103 or MK108 are the usual suspects for blowing bombers to bits. What's really impressive is when you hit one in close proximity to its two wingmen and you get that rare double or triple play when its bomb load blows and concusses one or both the other planes. Preserve those tracks. Ever get a "Flying Dutchman" result? You tear by a bomber in a Me 163 or Bf 110 cannon ship, and you really soundly rake it bow to stern---blast holes from nose to tail, and you see it gently slide out of formation heading to earth. Nobody bails out, everybody is in their seat, nobody shoots at you when you formate on it to have a look. Yep, you totaled the whole crew. It just cruises slowly into the ground.

ake109
07-11-2007, 01:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:
Good question. I think, maybe, while raking one over and over, wingtip to wingtip, with the MG151 belly pack combined with the nose 151s from my 110G I managed to blow some back in my terrorflieger hunting days. Ah, the MG151 is a great cannon. You are right. The MK103 or MK108 are the usual suspects for blowing bombers to bits. What's really impressive is when you hit one in close proximity to its two wingmen and you get that rare double or triple play when its bomb load blows and concusses one or both the other planes. Preserve those tracks. Ever get a "Flying Dutchman" result? You tear by a bomber in a Me 163 or Bf 110 cannon ship, and you really soundly rake it bow to stern---blast holes from nose to tail, and you see it gently slide out of formation heading to earth. Nobody bails out, everybody is in their seat, nobody shoots at you when you formate on it to have a look. Yep, you totaled the whole crew. It just cruises slowly into the ground. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, most of my Dicke Auto hunting is done in the mighty Me-262a-1a with 4 of the Reich's Finest.

There were quite a few times where the hapless crewmen did not bail out but is that because the game recorded that they were all dead or was it because the game calculated that the spin/dive was too extreme and they could not get out? I find it hard to believe that 1 pass can KO the entire crew from pilot to tailgunner even when it was 4 x Mk108s.

leitmotiv
07-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Anything dreadful is possible.