PDA

View Full Version : Who really cares about a demo?

Pr0metheus 1962
12-20-2004, 01:06 PM

one.zero
12-20-2004, 01:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beeryus:
Seems a minority are clamouring for a Christmas demo. Let's see what the real numbers say: <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's great...lets go ahead and overlook commitments. You don't manage by letting deadlines slip and slip and slip...and you certainly don't do it by slipping and providing zero updates as to when and why for slippage.

You are absoloutely correct that I'm clamoring. Clamoring for what was promised or at least a status update of a commitment that won't be met.

Where's your accountability Officer? I must say that Im disapointed in your performance here. You can't run a ship with this harmonious pattern of concession.

blue_76
12-20-2004, 01:15 PM
rather have the game finished sooner than a demo.. a demo is good to test a product before u buy, but if u have a 56k modem like me, u wait for reviews http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Pr0metheus 1962
12-20-2004, 01:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by one.zero:
That's great...lets go ahead and overlook commitments. You don't manage by letting deadlines slip and slip and slip... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If deadlines are slipping I'd much rather they try to get back on track by cancelling the demo rather than by going ahead with it and letting the final release slip back months. I want this game in Spring, not in Summer or Fall.

Messervy
12-20-2004, 01:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I want this game in Spring, not in Summer or Fall.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I don`t get that! What˙s the difference?
What do you do during summer and fall...hybernate?

Pr0metheus 1962
12-20-2004, 01:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by one.zero:
Where's your accountability Officer? I must say that Im disapointed in your performance here. You can't run a ship with this harmonious pattern of concession. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My accountability officer? If he exists he's in my head. I think you're confusing me with the game developers. I have nothing to do with them.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-20-2004, 01:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Messervy:
Now I don`t get that! What˙s the difference?
What do you do during summer and fall...hybernate? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What I'm saying is that I want the game sooner rather than later. Since any of us could be killed at any time in a messy accident, the sooner we get the game, the more likely all of us will be able to enjoy it. If it gets put back 3 months due to a stupid demo, there's a 1/960 chance that I'll have met with some kind of fatal accident. Release it in February and my odds of accidental death before the game's release are only around 1/2400. Far better to get a timely release of the actual game.

Messervy
12-20-2004, 01:59 PM
Now you got me really scared! This statistics of yours and the fact that I opened my additional security policy today are bad omens! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

one.zero
12-20-2004, 02:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beeryus:
[QUOTE]My accountability officer? If he exists he's in my head. I think you're confusing me with the game developers. I have nothing to do with them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not confused. You're so lenient and apologetic on behalf of the developement effort and it's communication, it was appropriate for me to associate you with the subject of accountability.

Let me be clear, this is not about which we would rather have, its about what we have and are being told about the game.

Why should we be venturing off into this discussion about what we would or would not rather have in trading commited performance items when we have been told nothing but the products...plural...products both game and demo are forthcoming.

Let us focus on each deliverable as they have been commited to us. It is with that position, that I seek information on or the demo itself.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-20-2004, 02:58 PM
I'm not confused. You're so lenient and apologetic on behalf of the developement effort and it's communication <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe, just wait until the game is out. You'll see a different side of me then.

Until then I'm going to be as lenient as can be, because I want it done right. Nothing else matters to me. To me, a demo is a complete waste of resources that could be going to the game.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-20-2004, 03:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Me:
Statistically, a death by accident occurs to a person on average once every 400 years. I think you'll be okay for a while yet. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmm. I guess that means that statistically a person has about a 1 in 5 chance of accidental death during his or her lifetime. Interesting.

Dominicrigg
12-20-2004, 03:06 PM
97.5% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-20-2004, 03:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dominicrigg:
97.5% of statistics are made up on the spot. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe.

Drebbel
12-20-2004, 03:35 PM
I don't need a demo. Just keep working on the sim and release it when it is ready. Feb/Mar/Apr/whatever !

Farside498
12-21-2004, 06:34 AM
theres 27 people " I need a demo. Gimme!"/"I'd prefer a demo but it won't kill me if I don't get one." and only 7 for the rest. The public have spoken.

U-551 Kapitan
12-22-2004, 09:22 AM
I used to go around with "We want a demo!" plastered over my sig, so then I'd fall into the 1st catergory, but now I've moved into the second catergory. While no demo would bring forward the release date ever so slightly, it would be even more beneficial for the devs since they would recieve feedback upon what needs to be corrected ingame, by the public. Demos are not all about our own pleasure, but they do serve a purpose for the developers. It's just that pleasure comes inadvertantly http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Pr0metheus 1962
12-22-2004, 09:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Farside498:
theres 27 people " I need a demo. Gimme!"/"I'd prefer a demo but it won't kill me if I don't get one." and only 7 for the rest. The public have spoken. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, less than half 'need' a demo.

U-551 Kapitan
12-22-2004, 10:15 AM
At time of posting, 79% want a demo, 12% don't want a demo while 8% don't care. The majority needs a demo, closely followed by those wanting a demo. Simple.

radsov
12-22-2004, 10:28 AM
As Dominicrigg said earlier 97.5% of statistics are made up on the spot and there are usually many ways to interpret the data. It can also be read as 46% need a demo, 54% do not, so the majority rule and no demo !

Pr0metheus 1962
12-22-2004, 10:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by U-551 Kapitan:
At time of posting, 79% want a demo, 12% don't want a demo while 8% don't care. The majority needs a demo, closely followed by those wanting a demo. Simple. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The majority doesn't need a demo. Only 47% need a demo. That's not a majority unless you only need 93% for unanimity. In my world, 100% is unanimity.

Anyway, since those who need a demo are being disappointed as we speak, their numbers must be shrinking, since - according to their response - it will kill them if they don't get one (if it won't kill them, they should have chosen answer two).

radsov
12-22-2004, 10:31 AM
Just pipped you to the p[ost on that one Beeryus http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

U-551 Kapitan
12-24-2004, 06:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by U-551 Kapitan:
At time of posting, 79% want a demo, 12% don't want a demo while 8% don't care. The majority needs a demo, closely followed by those wanting a demo. Simple. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The majority doesn't need a demo. Only 47% need a demo. That's not a majority unless you only need 93% for unanimity. In my world, 100% is unanimity. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, yeh sry. Techinally 47% need one. 79% need/prefer a demo (mixing the 2), 12% don't want a demo, 8% are undecided. But that was yesterday, things'll have changed by now.

CrazyDyck
12-25-2004, 12:41 AM
What a hilarious thread! You guys need to go into comedy http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Crazydick

U-551 Kapitan
12-25-2004, 07:03 AM
Thankyou! Always a pleasure to entertain ppl, that's why I'm here.