PDA

View Full Version : Full Screen help please.

ZoneDymo
12-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Cant believe Ubisoft has not solved this yet.

Anyway, just got this game for the PC and even though I select Full Screen resolutions, it still has the Black Bars.

On the internet I read, ALT-Enter should do something but since I play with the controller it does nothing.

Can someone Help me with this?

caswallawn_2k7
12-15-2008, 12:31 PM
the black bars are there because your not playing on a 16:9 screen. if you play in 720p or 1080p the black bars go away. if you play on a normal PC monitor they are 16:10 so will have small black bars. if you play on a old none wide screen monitor 4:3 you get big black bars as the game is ment to be played in wide screen.

so your choices are either live with it or use a 16:9 screeen reselution. the alt + enter trick is only for if you still see the edges and title bar of the window.

ZoneDymo
12-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Great, well forcing people to go widescreen like this is just BS.
Games ment for Widescreen is BS to, you can easily let the 4:3 using people have a little more to see on the top and bottom ey voila 4:3.

caswallawn_2k7
12-16-2008, 11:32 AM
not realy the majority of people now use wide screen and the game was ported from the 360/PS3 and they are both designed to run on HDTV's so realy they arnt going to recode the entire graphics engin to make it fit older screens.

hell its the same with TV now if you dont have wide screen you get black bars. you have the choice to either live with it or get upto date with what people are using.

ZoneDymo
12-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Sure its ported from the consoles,
but does this game need a Cell or IBM processor to run?
NO.
Can this game only be played with either a 360 or PS3 controller?
NO.

Its called porting aka making it work on a diffrent system and do you really think its that hard to put in more resolutions??
No its freaking simple.
Think about it, you play on 16:9 and you cant see the top of a building the way you look at it at that time, what do you do?
You start moving the mouse you look up a bit more.
Now on a 4:3 screen there are black bars, making the user also have to move the mouse to look up.
What they could have done is just remove to black bars and put whatever is behind just on screen.

caswallawn_2k7
12-17-2008, 12:39 PM
just to ruin your entire point here.

does the game run on an IBM chip?
YES! it runs on the IBM X86 arcitecture

Dose the game use the 360 Controller?
YES! it is the only controller that works 100% with the game as it has built in support for the 360 controller.

the simple fact is the 360 runs on a modified version of windows so the only changes they make to port the game is add support for the differant PC hardware setup as the graphics card/CPU speed differance has to be accomedated for and that is why they add the graphics options. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

also if you actualy had a clue what you were talking about you would realise there is nothing behind them black bars as nothing is renderd in them areas.

also the most common way for the quick switch between standard screen and wide screen is the top of the standard screen is still the same as the top of the wide screen just the standard screen looses a large chunk from each side meaning they have to look left and right more but still have to look up and down as much as a widescreen.

ZoneDymo
12-18-2008, 02:03 AM
Learn 2 read.

I did NOT say "does it support" or "can it be played with"

I sayed "can it >>ONLY<< work with" and "can it ONLY be played with"

Take Gears of War (good port) it supports all the resolutions a PC user could want.
Take GTA 4 (really bad port) even that game support full screen resolutions perfectly.

The fact that they choose not to incorperate normal screens with 99% of the PC gamers use just shows how little they care.

caswallawn_2k7
12-18-2008, 02:49 AM
did you not know people have managed to install linux and windows on a 360 as all the hardware in a 360 is slightly modified PC hard ware. the IBM Chip used in the 360 uses the same rule set as the 32bit AMD/Intel chipsets. also since all 64bit CPU's can run 32bit code they didnt need to change any support.

also if you look at some of the sites that monitors hardware of users you would see widescreen monitors are at around 60-70% in gaming PC's due to the fact nearly all LCD screens are wide screen as anything around 19inch+ uses the same screen as the firms LCD TV's as they only have to add in a TV tuner.

also statting about games that do support wide screen and normal screen is handled in the same way I stated in my last post. people with wide screen can see more to the left and the right and people on standard screens see the midle view with a chunk chopped off either end.

also when you say 99% of games use standard screen is way way off base as most of the people with true gaming PC's actualy have multiple displays and quite a few use large HDTV's and I mean large as now a 19inch screen is small.

davo81
12-18-2008, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by ZoneDymo:
Learn 2 read.

I did NOT say "does it support" or "can it be played with"

I sayed "can it >>ONLY<< work with" and "can it ONLY be played with"

Take Gears of War (good port) it supports all the resolutions a PC user could want.
Take GTA 4 (really bad port) even that game support full screen resolutions perfectly.

The fact that they choose not to incorperate normal screens with 99% of the PC gamers use just shows how little they care.

Gears of War was a pretty bad port. Assassin's Creed is one of the best ports ive ever seen. It runs smoothly maxed out on a 8600 and above.

They only chose to implement widescreen as it would improve the overall experience. In a 4:3 format which can actually be achieved with some tweaks, presents a terrible experience and never really engages the audience as many of the characters/objects are cut off from the narrow angle.

Many PC gamers now use 16:9 or 16:10 formats, and a fair ammount just connect/use thier pc with a tv (HD tv's are in a 16:9 format).

lilkanyon
12-18-2008, 05:00 PM
You know, I don't have a wide screen monitor and I never noticed the black bars until this post. lol I guess I'm used to them in so many of the movies I watched before we got our flat panel that I just don't even pay attention to them anymore.

Vendetta_Z
12-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Just drop it guys, the question has been answered.
And yes, Gears of War was a horrible port. Almost nobody plays it anymore.

For GTAIV port, just look at how many people are playing it. Online games take almost no time at all to fill up, according to many reviews, and a friend.