PDA

View Full Version : Spits vs. La-7's?

SirPapps
02-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Okay, so i already posted this, and for ome reason, it has mesteriously disappeared.. anyway, anyone know any good tips for fighting La-7s in Spitfire VIII/IX?

Any special trimming i should use?

Ratsack
02-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Primarily, you should push the throttle all the way forward, and engage WEP. Then you should pull on the stick until the La is in front of you. At that stage, it's mainly a question of ensuring you have a button on your joystick mapped to 'fire weapons 1 + 2'. Press this button.

If the La is behind you, pull on the stick until he is in front. Then as above.

cheers,
Ratsack

Freelancer-1
02-02-2007, 11:55 PM
Under no circumstances should you engage the La-7.

Immediately bail out as you are a dead man as soon as you are spotted http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

RocketDog
02-03-2007, 02:25 AM
I imagine the thread disappeared because of the unpleasant behaviour of one of the posters.

With regard to fighting the La-7 one-on-one in a Spitfire, basically, the Spit is completely outclassed. Only the IX-25 comes anywhere close. If you are fighting the AI, there are ways you can beat it (mostly because the AI is poor at fighting in the vertical), but all you are doing then is "gaming the game" by doing so. Against a human player in an La-7 you are probably toast - unless you can bounce them. In a dogfight with larger numbers of aircraft (say 4 vs 4 in the QMB) then you might get a chance to hit enemy aircraft not chasing you and so you might do better.

Have a look at "IL2 compare", v4.07m (search the forums for a link). This little utility plots max speed, climb rate, turn time etc as functions of height. It will show you why this match up favours the La-7.

The overall outcome is what you should expect since the La-7 was probably the best close-in propeller-driven dogfighter ever made.

Overall, I have to say it's a strange match up to choose to focus on since the aircraft were on the same side and both are turnfighters. A more interesting matchup is 109s vs Spits, pitching a tight turning a/c against one with a better climb. Not that the AI knows how to exploit a climb-rate advantage.

Cheers Comrade,

RD.

BBB_Hyperion
02-03-2007, 03:57 AM
Well you can only use high speed maneuvers or hope it is just an average pilot on the la7 .) If notice otherwise try to sneak away or ensure you have energy advantage.

Xiolablu3
02-03-2007, 04:16 AM
The best Spit to fight this plane would be the Spitfire XIV, but as we dont have that in game, use the Spitfire IX 25lbs.

Try and get above him and B&Z him. This works for any plane, really. If you can get yourself into a good position above him first of all, then you should be OK.

tigertalon
02-03-2007, 06:11 AM
This thread is an excellent example why situations in this sim can not be used to represent the ones in RL.

Yes, Spit is outclassed. Low that is.

Now go, climb above 5km and you will be toying with La7s.

(edit: not sayin sim is wrong. Just saying ppl fly different than in RL did - much lower for starters)

VW-IceFire
02-03-2007, 07:53 AM
Simple...take him up to 5000m (or about 15,000 feet) and watch as his engine coughs on the thin air. Meanwhile the Spitfire is just getting started. Then as he dives away pursue and blast him before his controls start falling off.

The La-7 is the king of low altitude fighting. Its fast, its light and maneuverable, and it hits hard. But its not ideal for doing any sort of diving or medium to high altitude fighting as it has no staying power there.

RocketDog
02-03-2007, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by tigertalon:

Check the numbers, you might be surprised. If it's a Spitfire Mk.VIII, the La-7 is always faster or equal in speed, right up to 10,000 m. At 6,000m the La-7 is about 100 km/h faster. Of all the Spitfires, only the Spitfire HF IXC has a speed advantage, and then only a small one (20 km/h), and then only above 8,000m. I don't know how the turn varies with height, but according to IL-2 compare, the La-7 turns better at any speed above 330 km/h. The Spitfire does have a significant advantage in Vne, but it's hard to use that as anything other than a last-ditch escape method.

Cheers,

RD.

tigertalon
02-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by RocketDog:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tigertalon:

Check the numbers, you might be surprised. If it's a Spitfire Mk.VIII, the La-7 is always faster or equal in speed, right up to 10,000 m. At 6,000m the La-7 is about 100 km/h faster. Of all the Spitfires, only the Spitfire HF IXC has a speed advantage, and then only a small one (20 km/h), and then only above 8,000m. I don't know how the turn varies with height, but according to IL-2 compare, the La-7 turns better at any speed above 330 km/h. The Spitfire does have a significant advantage in Vne, but it's hard to use that as anything other than a last-ditch escape method.

Cheers,

RD. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, this is one instance where I don't take IL2C as a holy truth. Maybe it achieves that speed very slowly, and I'm sure it starts to loose enormous quantities of E during maneouvering in thinner air... I fight La5/7s and spits in a 190 a lot online, and I'm afraid of Las only if they catch me with me pants down at ground level and up to 2 or 3k, while a spit presents a formidable opponent in a close in dogfight through all altitudes. You can even dogfight 1v1 the 5FN in a A5 at altitudes above, say 5k (and outclimb it there http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif), while dogfighting a spit is a big no no.

VW-IceFire
02-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by RocketDog:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tigertalon:

Cheers,

RD. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Even if the top speed is higher...it accelerates like a dog at that altitude. The Spitfire tends not to feel that different from 1000m up to 6000m...sure you can't yank the stick back as much but its fairly similar in other respects. But the La-7...no no...its got nothing in it at that altitude.