PDA

View Full Version : best stealth game ever?

reaktor
12-09-2007, 05:25 PM
no, but one of the best.

kew414
12-09-2007, 07:13 PM
If they made it worthwhile using stealth, then it could've gotten close.
But srsly it's just too easy to charge in, stab the guy you wanna kill, and run out and hide in a roof garden http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

dirtybird21
12-09-2007, 09:17 PM
I don't really consider this a stealth game...

reaktor
12-10-2007, 09:41 AM
I don't really consider this a stealth game...

Its clearly a stealth game, whats not stealth about hiding and trying to remain anonymous, unseen and incognito??

Ekko128
12-10-2007, 10:08 AM
you could probably play the whole game without using stealth. so thats why its a Stealth/Action game

Dvlos56
12-12-2007, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by reaktor:
no, but one of the best.

You've never played a stealth game in your life.

chilloh
12-12-2007, 11:28 AM
i think that its possible that in the second game some missions will make use of stealth more.

like for example you must enter the castle of your enemies and do some actions just like in splinter cell. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

lostassassin123
12-12-2007, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by chilloh:
i think that its possible that in the second game some missions will make use of stealth more.

like for example you must enter the castle of your enemies and do some actions just like in splinter cell. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif
No no no...Leave AC out of that.
Keep this for Assassin's Cell or Splinter's Creed, but don't ruin AC with such ideas.
(no offense)

Phreaky_McGeek
12-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Is this topic for discussing stealth games or is it just a statement/opinion?

reaktor
12-12-2007, 05:05 PM
Is this topic for discussing stealth games or is it just a statement/opinion?

its anything...

the BEST stealth game there is is probably metal gear solid 3.

You can get through most of the game without being seen except the scripted parts where your found.

splinter cell is a funny one.. if i were able to compile a game made up of all the levels across all the games then youd have a winner eg defence ministry SC1, indonesian jungle SC:PT, the bank SC:CT

the first SC is still the best SC.

AldirTheKnight
12-12-2007, 05:06 PM
lol so many acronyms

dirtybird21
12-12-2007, 06:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't really consider this a stealth game...

Its clearly a stealth game, whats not stealth about hiding and trying to remain anonymous, unseen and incognito?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's deffenetly a stealth game... But the only problem is you are obviously not talking about AC... lol... You can beat the entire game without using any ammount of stealth... This is an action game.

Royal.Mist
12-12-2007, 11:22 PM
This game is not a stealth game. Splinter Cell 1,2 and 3 are stealth games. Splinter Cell Double Agent is slightly less stealthy than its predecessors.

Metal Gear Solid, in the way it's supposed to be played and the way you're told to play, is a stealth shooter. It's not overboard with stealthyness like Splinter Cell unless playing Extreme or European Extreme difficulties (just because it's instant game over if you're spotted).

Assassin's Creed tried to do the whole social stealth thing. It didn't really work considering the guards are too dumb to keep up with you anyway. Just run around for a minute and jump in a roof box.

This game is not the best, nor one of the best, anything, except maybe having good graphics and animations.

marinius
12-13-2007, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Royal.Mist:
This game is not a stealth game. Splinter Cell 1,2 and 3 are stealth games. Splinter Cell Double Agent is slightly less stealthy than its predecessors.

Metal Gear Solid, in the way it's supposed to be played and the way you're told to play, is a stealth shooter. It's not overboard with stealthyness like Splinter Cell unless playing Extreme or European Extreme difficulties (just because it's instant game over if you're spotted).

Assassin's Creed tried to do the whole social stealth thing. It didn't really work considering the guards are too dumb to keep up with you anyway. Just run around for a minute and jump in a roof box.

This game is not the best, nor one of the best, anything, except maybe having good graphics and animations.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif
My thoughts exactly. AC is no stealth game in my book. As for the best stealth game ever: the original Splinter Cell, no question in my mind.

reaktor
12-13-2007, 07:02 AM
fair comments, though as i said in one of my other posts.. AC played with the right mentality is an amazing stealth game.. ie would you run through crowded streets hacking and slashing guards??? or would you look on your portable GPS system in the 1100's?

you can play this action, but if you play it stealth.. the enjoyment is there.. trust me im a stealth game nut.. i used to play n64 goldeneye as sneaky as possible (silenced 9mm) so i know what im talking about,.

Dvlos56
12-13-2007, 09:46 AM
AC played with the right mentality is an amazing stealth game..

What kind of mentality is this? The "living in total denial" mentality? For AC to qualify as a stealth game it would need stealth mechanics. Social stealth doesn't really work, there are set rules within the game that prevent the kind of social stealth freedom seen in games like Hitman, or espionage type stealth games like Splinter Cell or MGS.

Yes, you can hit one button and be in "blend" mode, but that button doesn't let you through a guarded gate. You can attempt to make it to a target "unseen" but mainly that's because the guards are utter idiots. You can long-range knife guards within 20ft of each other and they don't even notice. They will calmly watch you toss a knife at them without raising an alarm or moving out out of the way.

Then if you go through ALL the trouble to make it to a target unseen and kill him using stealth.. Guess what? You are rewarded with a 30 minutes cutscene and when it's over there's a pile of guards ready to fight you instead of that "WTF JUST HAPPENEND?!?!" alerted surprise reaction whilst you sneak away as with Thief/Hitman/Splinter Cell games.

This is not a "stealth" game, it is an action game with pseudo-stealth elements that were implemented poorly.

Phreaky_McGeek
12-13-2007, 10:00 AM
^ Agreed - it tries to bring in something new to the whole stealth game genre, but the poor AI makes it feel like it's been tacked on.

I just hope Splinter Cell: Conviction implements it better.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-13-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by dirtybird21:
...You can beat the entire game without using any ammount of stealth... This is an action game.

You can also beat the game by using stealth all the time and only killing your ten targets. You can't do that in an action game. This is clearly a stealth game.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Phreaky_McGeek:
^ Agreed - it tries to bring in something new to the whole stealth game genre, but the poor AI makes it feel like it's been tacked on...

Poor AI? It's the most realistic AI I've ever seen in a game. What other game has AI that can chase you through streets and over rooftops?

Look, Altair is an elite fighter at the peak of physical fitness. Town guards are not. They're not supposed to be able to keep up with him or put up a magnificent fight. They're town guards not SAS.

AirRon_2K7
12-13-2007, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Beeryus:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dirtybird21:
...You can beat the entire game without using any ammount of stealth... This is an action game.

You can also beat the game by using stealth all the time and only killing your ten targets. You can't do that in an action game. This is clearly a stealth game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, you need to kill in informer missions, you also have to kill in the tutorial, and in the opening mission. It really isn't a stealth game, if it was, you'd actually be able to get in, kill and get out unseen. that IS impossible in Assassin's Creed, since all the guards are given Altair-o-vision meters as soon as you pop a target. those AOV goggles blow up if you manage to hide, but they still have a portrait of you floating in front of their heads, to snag if they see you when you don't have your head bowed down to your knees.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-13-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by AirRon_2K7:
No, you need to kill in informer missions, you also have to kill in the tutorial, and in the opening mission.

You don't have to take informer missions. Anyway my point was not related to how many people you have to kill - 10, 12, so what? Okay, the minimum is like 12. My point is, you can play the game using stealth if you so choose. You don't have to kill numerous bad guys beyond your targets (like in an action game) in order to get the job done.

Even in the assassinations where you're surrounded by bad guys you can choose to target only your actual assassination target and just defend against all the others while you attack only him. That is not the sort of choice you get in an action game. Action games involve the player Rambo-ing his way through hundreds of attackers to reach his target, and the game won't let the player get to the boss unless the minions are killed.

Captain_Spandex
12-13-2007, 01:22 PM
The stealth genre is sort of going away, unfortunately. Thief is gone, likely never to return, unless some smart developer buys the rights. Splinter Cell is going the 'social stealth' route with the next game. Metal Gear has never been a very good stealth game, in my opinion, but even if anyone here has an opinion regarding MGS that differs from mine, this is the last Kojima MGS game.

What's humorous is that I remember reading an article in Play magazine in 2004 where they were actually claiming that the stealth genre was overcrowded. The titles I can recall being on the market at that point were Metal Gear 3, Thief: Deadly Shadows, Stolen, and Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow. 5 games, if you count Manhunt... but no one with taste does.

4 games is overcrowded? The market can be lousy with shooters, but if 4 stealth games are released in the same year, the genre is overcrowded?

Pr0metheus 1962
12-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Captain_Spandex:
The market can be lousy with shooters, but if 4 stealth games are released in the same year, the genre is overcrowded?

Yeah, really! I'm getting tired of seeing 70% or more of game store shelf space devoted to shooters. I mean when does it end? FPS games are okay - they're mindless fun when you don't want to think for a couple of hours, but at some point I'm wondering when the intellect comes back into gaming. I guess maybe I need to take a break from consoles and go back to PC games for a while.

As for games going the social stealth route - I'm looking forward to it. I hate sneaking around and waiting for guards to be looking the other way before I move. I much prefer to be able to behave like an innocent bystander. I love this social stealth concept.

reaktor
12-13-2007, 02:00 PM
I think stealth should be an option in ALL games... even fast paced shooters.. fact is, if a guard in a fast paced shooter hasnt seen me, then the A.I. should respond accordingly... this is not about the "stealth" label.. but more about realistic AI.

eg.. in GTA4, if im running from a cop and run up a ladder and he didnt see me, he SHOULD NOT automatically know where i am.. i have used the conditioned in the real time environment to escape.. this is realism, it doesnt matter if GTA "isnt a stealth game"... developers should seek to give the player the CHOICE.

metal gear solid 1 and 2 were pretty poor in terms of stealth, but good in there time.. but MGS3 was an amazing stealth/action game.. it had the perfect balance of how you could play it.. which is how all games should be imo, regardless of genre..MGS3 could be played without being seen by anyone.

Actually Beeryus, if you watch the Rambo films John Rambo always starts off sneaking then gets discovered and goes on a shooting spree, in all movies though he starts with his knife taking out gaurds one by one.

Dvlos56
12-13-2007, 02:32 PM
I much prefer to be able to behave like an innocent bystander. I love this social stealth concept.

I think the concept has a lot of promise, and pushes more towards "believable" and "realistic" than guards that follow set cookie cutter paths and glowing red visual cones. However I completely disagree that AC IS anywhere at the level it should be with compliments as "the most realistic AI" ever. Much of the world is pretty static, and repetitive. Shops look the same, citizens are all in trouble in the same way, crowd moves along littel ant trails and there really isn't a "social stealth" please explain to me how you can use the crowd for ANYTHING in this game? You can hit the blend button with a crowd around or NO ONE around and it still works, that's not social stealth.. that's a stealth button.

Now I constantly rant about the game's faults... but to put it in perspective as to why I say it has tremendous promise... the Slaver you are tasked to kill. While heavily scripted, he runs away from you, as does the book burner guy...

those 2 assassinations with the chasing and fighting through the streets were amazing. It blows my mind how the developers while testing the game didn't think "That was awesome.. we should do that ALL OVER THE PLACE"

Yeah like have your informants roaming around in an area instead of standing around like a stupid puppet waiting for you to push a button. Given people things to do, a purpose in gameplay be it to hinder or help you (not the citizen helpers ugh.. that was so badly done). Targets that will run from you and force you to chase them all over the city. Can you imagine stalking a target through all the alleys and streets of Jerusalem while at the same time trying to be "stealthy"?

You can run like mad if the street is empty, but if the crowd fills a street, with guards around you can't push them on their butts or the target will be alerted and the guards will fight you.

For crying out loud they teach you how to navigate the crowd without having them drop the things they are carrying.. What purpose did that have?! NOTHING!

If you give these things purpose, and make your targets/side missions use the city then YOU will use the city and suddenly Assassin's Creed has hella more flavor than it has now.

reaktor
12-13-2007, 04:31 PM
Can you imagine stalking a target through all the alleys and streets of Jerusalem while at the same time trying to be "stealthy"?

I thought the interogation missions fulfilled that perfectly.. I love slowly stalking them and turning round when they stop or look back..

the save the citizen sucked, too many with little variation.. and if they genuinly are thieves then they deserve to be arrested and/or executed.

Shoulda been more sidequests, people you can speak to and interact with.. a few fetch/collect missions for locals in the kingdom woulda been great.

A simple crouch feature, no stealth game should be without a CROUCH move, you can do it static, but not whilst walking.

Awful collect flag for informers.. i loved the assassination ones, but collecting flags ruins the experience.

Be able to kill all the main targets without being seen, but just make it very difficult.

Not automatically force you into the training ring after each assassination.. ugh...

dirtybird21
12-13-2007, 04:51 PM
There is no point in following somebody in an interrogation mission... You can beat them 2 death on the spot...

Dvlos56
12-14-2007, 08:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can you imagine stalking a target through all the alleys and streets of Jerusalem while at the same time trying to be "stealthy"?

I thought the interogation missions fulfilled that perfectly.. I love slowly stalking them and turning round when they stop or look back.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What? You can hit punch and take them out right as they speak.. stalking? Not like the other two main assassination targets I mentioned.

Contr0L
12-14-2007, 08:27 AM
it's really the way you choose to play... you can run in, kill everyone taht gets in the way, making it a action game..

or you can choose to wait wait wait wait for the right moment, assassinate, then run.. making it a stealth game..

reaktor
12-14-2007, 09:12 AM
There is no point in following somebody in an interrogation mission... You can beat them 2 death on the spot...

Not so, firstly there may be guards, secondly there is NO fun OR realism in beating up someone in the middle of a crowded area.. this is what i keep emphasising about getting into the mentality, play as if you are there.

AirRon_2K7
12-14-2007, 09:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There is no point in following somebody in an interrogation mission... You can beat them 2 death on the spot...

Not so, firstly there may be guards, secondly there is NO fun OR realism in beating up someone in the middle of a crowded area.. this is what i keep emphasising about getting into the mentality, play as if you are there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find it plenty fun beating people up in a crowded area, more thugs get involved, and it doesn't feel as stalker creepy as dark alley murder. But I still follow them about, I just make sure theres lots of thugs about.

dirtybird21
12-14-2007, 11:36 AM
Guards don't do anything about fistfights, They just watch like everyone else.

midna1
12-15-2007, 08:55 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by reaktor:

the BEST stealth game there is is probably metal gear solid 3.

You can get through most of the game without being seen except the scripted parts where your found. QUOTE]

MGS2 is the better stealth game. You can complete the game without killing anyone. And the game takes much more risks with story and gameplay than MGS3, which apart from the amazing sniper battle was uninspired.

So I hope Kojima does more experimental gameplay for MGS4 like:
- control of MG RAY (zone of the enders style)Like climbing buildings with the RAY
- control of military drones (like mini gear mkII)
- escape of sinking buildings (like when Raiden swims the big shell)

AC's success shows that you need to experiment with gameplay.

Dragoon13063
12-15-2007, 02:57 PM
everyone (basically) says this game is an action game but you guys don't get it....it *IS* a stealth game....YOU choose whether or not you want to rush in Rambo style killing everyone or take a stealthy approach and just kill the 9 main targets in the game.....argument over....player chooses the way the game goes.

reaktor
12-15-2007, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Dragoon13063:
everyone (basically) says this game is an action game but you guys don't get it....it *IS* a stealth game....YOU choose whether or not you want to rush in Rambo style killing everyone or take a stealthy approach and just kill the 9 main targets in the game.....argument over....player chooses the way the game goes.

agreed..

And midna.. I really cannot see how you think MGS2 is a better game/stealth game than MGS3, 3 excelled over it in every way..especially immersiveness, no radar for one..

i think with AC one can say it is both an action and stealth game simply cos you have the choice to do either..

dirtybird21
12-15-2007, 04:19 PM
In almost every other "stealth" game you DON'T have that option.. you get killed almost instantly... in this.. the stealth is weak and when you do have 2 get in a fight you could easily kill hundreds of guards before you die.

Mulle_DK13
12-15-2007, 04:24 PM
AC isn't a stealth game.

Stealth means not being revealed.

And you do that *** soon as you kill, since you can't prevent anybody from seeing you!

ebassist
12-15-2007, 05:55 PM
Even in the assassinations where you're surrounded by bad guys you can choose to target only your actual assassination target and just defend against all the others while you attack only him. That is not the sort of choice you get in an action game. Action games involve the player Rambo-ing his way through hundreds of attackers to reach his target, and the game won't let the player get to the boss unless the minions are killed.

Er..... so? You COULD go through the entire Half Life series simply running from battles and only killing the bosses you need to to progress, doesent make it a "Stealth" game.

Assasins Creed is a stealth game......... of sorts, the thing that mostly stops it being so is not the game itself but the design of the levels. Pretty much every single assasination it is IMPOSSIBLE to do without getting into lots of fights. Most of them are in public in broad daylight ffs.

While granted in some ways I think this is cool (in the Hitman games I always wanted a few hits where the PURPOSE was to do the hit in public and get away with it) but it goes too far. Theres not a single level where the guy is ever more than 10 feet from his guards.

Captain_Spandex
12-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Mulle_DK13:
AC isn't a stealth game.

And you do that *** soon as you kill, since you can't prevent anybody from seeing you!

That's not really true. If you assassinate your target out of the view of nearby guards... you will not be discovered. The best example of this is in Acre, when you must kill Sibrand.

If you wait until Sibrand walks to the front of the boat, climb up and stab him in the back with a stealth kill, when you emerge from your conversation with him... you will discover to your great surprise that nobody saw you kill him. Most missions, unfortunately, involve you assassinating someone in full view of a crowd, but there is always a way to minimize or even eliminate the possibility that you will be discovered afterwards (except with Maria).

Tela
12-15-2007, 06:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mulle_DK13:
AC isn't a stealth game.

That's not really true. If you assassinate your target out of the view of nearby guards... you will not be discovered. The best example of this is in Acre, when you must kill Sibrand.

If you wait until Sibrand walks to the front of the boat, climb up and stab him in the back with a stealth kill, when you emerge from your conversation with him... you will discover to your great surprise that nobody saw you kill him. Most missions, unfortunately, involve you assassinating someone in full view of a crowd, but there is always a way to minimize or even eliminate the possibility that you will be discovered afterwards (except with Maria). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most all of your assassinations are in full view of people/a crowd, because that was the point: that people SAW the person assassinated. I'm not sure why Sibrand was different.

stix489
12-15-2007, 07:21 PM
Which one's Sibrand again?

Dragoon13063
12-15-2007, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Mulle_DK13:
AC isn't a stealth game.

Just don't ever talk again...OK? just because you get seen IN FULL VIEW OF A CROWD doesn't mean its not a stealth game. you kill 1 guy after stealth killing all your main side quests for informants....some quests for informants you have no choice but to stealth kill....any game with a wrist blade...its gotta be a stealth game.

Dragoon13063
12-15-2007, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by stix489:

Sibrand is the guy who freaks out on the priest in the street and rapes him with a sword cause he thinks the priest is Altair...the one with the horned helmet.

Kieran_Y
12-15-2007, 07:55 PM
I must also say this is an action game with "stealth elements." It's quite apparent this is the case, as everybody who has had a claim to the game being "stealth" oriented has had their argument quickly shot down. Like others have said before, the social "stealth" in this game is simply a INSTANTANEOUS DISAPPEARING button. Press and hold A on the street and no guard will ever be suspicious of you. Regardless if the street is empty or not. If a guard sees you in a "restricted area" they give you a warning and plenty of time to move out of site. You can walk up to guards blocking areas and get pushed back as many times as you like without them ever being suspicious. You can attract the largest group of guards without any consequence to the mission fabric. You are also likely to kill ALL of them.

stix489
12-15-2007, 08:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stix489:

Sibrand is the guy who freaks out on the priest in the street and rapes him with a sword cause he thinks the priest is Altair...the one with the horned helmet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh that Tutonic Knight guy...yeah thanks!

Dragoon13063
12-16-2007, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by stix489:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dragoon13063:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stix489:

Sibrand is the guy who freaks out on the priest in the street and rapes him with a sword cause he thinks the priest is Altair...the one with the horned helmet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh that Tutonic Knight guy...yeah thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no problem...by the way if your going for blade in the crowd achievment just sneak up on him when hes in the big ship.

MasterNeilson
12-16-2007, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Dvlos56:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by reaktor:
no, but one of the best.

You've never played a stealth game in your life. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

xELITEGUNNERx
12-16-2007, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by MasterNeilson:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dvlos56:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by reaktor:
no, but one of the best.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE> i agree 2

Kieran_Y
12-16-2007, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by xELITEGUNNERx:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MasterNeilson:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dvlos56:
no, but one of the best.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE> i agree 2 </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Yeah name a stealth game that lets you press and hold 1 button to instantaneously disappear from all guards for as long as you want.... Thats what I thought.

Captain_Spandex
12-17-2007, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Kieran_Y:
Yeah name a stealth game that lets you press and hold 1 button to instantaneously disappear from all guards for as long as you want.... Thats what I thought.

Ugh... in theory... you are 'invisible' to guards all the freaking time. It is a social stealth game. The pray feature's brokenness has been highly exaggerated. It's not like you can be chased down by guards, go into pray mode, and get off scott free. It just gives you an excuse to be in areas a normal citizen wouldn't be permitted, because you are a 'monk'.

Kieran_Y
12-17-2007, 01:40 AM
Social stealth in the game is not even a challenge. Even the hitman games(although unrealistic in that all clothes fit) had a more challenging social stealth aspect. In hitman, having a uniform didn't guarantee you invisibility. You could only stay a certain distance and a certain time before the guards caught on.

"It's not like you can be chased down by guards, go into pray mode, and get off scott free." Very true, but the next hay stack or bench is only a few metres away... or you could just kill all of them. Again, no consequence for being spotted.

"It just gives you an excuse to be in areas a normal citizen wouldn't be permitted, because you are a 'monk'." Yeah a monk with 15 daggers hanging off, a sword at his waist and a shiny short sword on his back. Wouldn't spot that a mile away...

Pr0metheus 1962
12-17-2007, 04:20 AM
The pray feature's brokenness has been highly exaggerated. It's not like you can be chased down by guards, go into pray mode, and get off scott free. It just gives you an excuse to be in areas a normal citizen wouldn't be permitted, because you are a 'monk'.

Exactly. It's beginning to piss me off that there are so many people still here who are dissatisfied with this game. A rational person sells or returns a game he doesn't like and moves on. A bit of whining is fine, but anyone who's been around the forums for longer than a week or two who doesn't like this game is a loser. There are plenty of other games for them to play. No one's forcing them to be annoyed by AC.

It's not as if their whining is going to change anything - the social stealth feature is what it is. Anyway, I really don't want to listen to their whining anymore. I'm tired of it. I like this game a lot and while it has some flaws it's generally a fantastic game, so I'd like to have a little place on the internet to discuss what a great game it is without being subjected to the trolls who, it seems, only exist to sow discontent.

Kieran_Y
12-17-2007, 02:14 PM
Because AC is not a stealth game and people are disappointed with the stealth gameplay, it makes them trolls? I personally bought this game knowing full well it is primarily an action game. I indeed enjoyed it as such. The topic at hand is that there is some ridiculous claim that AC is PRIMARILY a stealth game. That is the issue at hand. It is quite apparent that stealth gameplay isn't the poignant feature.

Dragoon13063
12-18-2007, 04:16 PM
Because AC is not a stealth game and people are disappointed with the stealth gameplay, it makes them trolls? I personally bought this game knowing full well it is primarily an action game. I indeed enjoyed it as such. The topic athand is that there is some ridiculous claim that AC is PRIMARILY a stealth game. That is the issue at hand. It is quite apparent that stealth gameplay isn't the poignant feature.

Ummmm where do you get off calling AC what it is??? i don't think anybody on these forums besides Ubisoft can say for sure thats it *just* action oriented...but wait theres more!! i believe the main point Ubisoft brought out was its basically 50/50 between both...people who suck at stealth games *you* go the action way and people who like to sneak around and not get caught can do that as well....people are stretching this game far more than it should be. if you don't like the monk feature then don't use it. wait I'll repeat it.... *DON'T USE THE #@!#$%
MONK BUTTON* there point recessed anybody else wanna argue that this game is just action oriented just post it up and i can prove you wrong.

Tela
12-18-2007, 04:23 PM
It could be taken either way, certainly. There are parts of it that seem to lean more towards stealth, but some parts show it as more of an action game.

Just to add in, xbox.com put it under "action".

dirtybird21
12-18-2007, 04:44 PM
You can be 'stealthy' in ALMOST every single game out there... And that doesn't make them a 'stealth' game... And the only problem with the "if you suck as stealth games" part is that the stealth in this game isn't anything like it in any other games... It's less about sneaking around people and more about... pressing a button near monks so they can walk you into some place....

blarson11
12-18-2007, 04:57 PM
the dev's never said sneaky stealth. they said social stealth. that means if you casually walk up to your target w/o causing a ruckus, you wont get attacked, not if anyone sees you you are attacked. granted that was probably not integrated as well as it could have been, it was never meant to be an "out of sight==good to go" kind of game.

Krauser47
12-18-2007, 05:38 PM
No its not the best stealth game ever since its so easy to kill like 5-20 guys , if it was harder to kill enemy troops by making them more aggresive and take more hits to kill or if they just have plain shields which could block a lot of your attacks then this game could just be a good stealth game since you cant just be going around killing people like you are Conan the barbarain or something. Hopefully Ubi adresses this problem on the PC version by making difficulty levels like easy , normal , hard , or Assassin- Very Hard.

Overall I like this game because simply because they didn't make the AI as hard or tough as in games Like Conan(a lot of people will tell you that the AI is very tough) and the Plot/Gameplay is very good along with the fact that the Graphics and terrain/land is very nice looking.

Bottom line 9.2/ out of 10

dirtybird21
12-18-2007, 05:39 PM
I know that was the way it was supposed 2 be, But the guy said "For people who suck at stealth games" That doesn't make sense because if you suck at other stealth games that doesn't mean you would suck at this game... And if you suck at the stealth in this game it doesn't mean you suck at other stealth games...

Dragoon13063
12-18-2007, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by dirtybird21:
I know that was the way it was supposed 2 be, But the guy said "For people who suck at stealth games" That doesn't make sense because if you suck at other stealth games that doesn't mean you would suck at this game... And if you suck at the stealth in this game it doesn't mean you suck at other stealth games...

Not to be rude or anything but i couldnt understand what you said mostly the "if you suck at stealth at this game doesnt mean you suck at stealth in other games" just was wondering if ya could clarify that for me.

Kieran_Y
12-18-2007, 07:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kieran_Y:
Because AC is not a stealth game and people are disappointed with the stealth gameplay, it makes them trolls? I personally bought this game knowing full well it is primarily an action game. I indeed enjoyed it as such. The topic athand is that there is some ridiculous claim that AC is PRIMARILY a stealth game. That is the issue at hand. It is quite apparent that stealth gameplay isn't the poignant feature.

Ummmm where do you get off calling AC what it is??? i don't think anybody on these forums besides Ubisoft can say for sure thats it *just* action oriented...but wait theres more!! i believe the main point Ubisoft brought out was its basically 50/50 between both...people who suck at stealth games *you* go the action way and people who like to sneak around and not get caught can do that as well....people are stretching this game far more than it should be. if you don't like the monk feature then don't use it. wait I'll repeat it.... *DON'T USE THE #@!#$%
MONK BUTTON* there point recessed anybody else wanna argue that this game is just action oriented just post it up and i can prove you wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good luck with upper level English in highschool. In case you're having difficulty with reading I'm arguing that AC is not primarily a stealth game because of the fact that there are no consequences for being identified nor are the "stealth" aspects challenging. You're talking to someone who's beaten the Splinter Cells and Metal Gears without being noticed or even touching a non essential character. Someone's who's beaten all Hitman's mission's with a Silent Assassin rating.

Since you've stated to "prove you wrong" try poking holes in something I've said before: Like others have said before, the social "stealth" in this game is simply a INSTANTANEOUS DISAPPEARING button. Press and hold A on the street and no guard will ever be suspicious of you. Regardless if the street is empty or not. If a guard sees you in a "restricted area" they give you a warning and plenty of time to move out of site. You can walk up to guards blocking areas and get pushed back as many times as you like without them ever being suspicious. You can attract the largest group of guards without any consequence to the mission fabric. You are also likely to kill ALL of them. Good luck with calling that "stealth."

Tela
12-18-2007, 10:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dirtybird21:

Not to be rude or anything but i couldnt understand what you said mostly the "if you suck at stealth at this game doesnt mean you suck at stealth in other games" just was wondering if ya could clarify that for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's exactly what it sounds like. Just because you might be bad at stealth in one game, doesn't mean you be horrible at stealth in ALL games.(something like that, at least)

Kieran_Y
12-19-2007, 02:37 AM
no its just Dragoon has trouble reading the English language. Which is of course more than ok if its not his first.

Zerokoolpsx
12-19-2007, 07:02 AM
It's an action game with stealth elements, but not a stealth game. There are no repercussions where if detected, you'll die. You can kill all the guards. I played MGS, SC and Hitman series, those are stealth games. In those games, if Snake, Sam Fisher, or Agent 47 gets detected and 5 guys are attacking you, pumping you full of lead, most likely, your gonna die.

In Altair's case, you can kill all the guards, without blinking an eye, after stealth killing the target or not.

It's a fantastic game, and I beaten it twice, I just don't consider it a stealth game.

Sony listed AC as action genre too.
http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Games

Pr0metheus 1962
12-19-2007, 09:11 AM
Personally I don't consider games where you die if detected 'stealth' games. I call them 'ridiculously frustrating' games. I'm glad the industry seems to be toning down the annoyance factor when it comes to stealth in games. For me, 'social stealth' is a godsend.

dirtybird21
12-19-2007, 01:07 PM

Not to be rude or anything but i couldnt understand what you said mostly the "if you suck at stealth at this game doesnt mean you suck at stealth in other games" just was wondering if ya could clarify that for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you don't understand that you either don't know how 2 read or you haven't ever played AC... The stealth in AC isn't like a normal 'stealth' game so you could very easily suck at every other stealth game and be really good at this one... It's just not the same, Plus it's insanely easy... the most stealth you ever do is press A near a group of monks so THEY can walk you into somewhere while you do nothing... : /

Kieran_Y
12-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Personally I don't consider games where you die if detected 'stealth' games. I call them 'ridiculously frustrating' games. I'm glad the industry seems to be toning down the annoyance factor when it comes to stealth in games. For me, 'social stealth' is a godsend.

thats just like saying FPS's are ridiculously frustrating because everyone kills me before I can kill them. Or RTS are ridiculously frustrating because my opponents keep rushing my base. Or even sports games since its so incredibly frustrating that the other team keeps scoring more than me. Ever wonder why you keep getting detected and caught?.... Whilst other people seem to be getting by just fine?....

gorilla325
12-19-2007, 09:26 PM
talking about stealth games, nobody mentioned Tenchu?? it's one of the best, for the first two at least. if it's on PC, it would be even better!

personally, i think all stealth games are stupid, though fun nonthless. you guys kept saying that stealth game's penalty. of course, if you played in the hardcore level with right mentality. but for me, the AI was so stupid that they never did kill me at all... for MGS, i just hide in a box, or find somewhere to hide. for splinter cell, i just need to kill off the first wave of enemies, then i just need to find a quiet place to hide as well, though some mission would just fail me... same thing for thief III. i've not tried hitman series so i could not comment on that. i have not tried on AC, so i could not comment on that either...

MGS series was the worst stealth game ever, because i hated the camera so much. it's purely personal opinion. i am looking forward the fourth installment though. Kojima finally let western people developing game for him, it's one step towards the right direction. more so if the game got ported to the PC.

at the end, if there's a gameplay mechanics for you to be stealthy, i think we could call it a stealth game. why not? but on the other hands, it's fun to arguing the none sense and have fun as well. hehe.

silver_015
12-20-2007, 02:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't really consider this a stealth game...

Its clearly a stealth game, whats not stealth about hiding and trying to remain anonymous, unseen and incognito?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On youtube theres a video of the demo with commentary and it says this game has no real way point its a free movment u can go through crowd or do the dramatic loud kills. its up to u really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvs9FxCxvy8

Paladin_1962
12-20-2007, 09:27 AM
For all its flaws I think 'Tenchu Z' is a good stealth game.

It is somewhat silly to always compare one game to another, unless they are clearly of the same genre, but if one is talking about 'stealth' then Tenchu Z blows Assassin's Creed away for pure stealth-style kills.

There are a lot of bad reviews for Tenchu Z, but I get a great deal of fun playing it, trying to think/move/kill like a Ninja/Assassin.

----

One of the reasons I play games like Tenchu Z, Assassin's Creed, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (best game ever made, yeah you read it right ;-) ), and even Two Worlds (wretched Oblivion wannabe) is that I love playing/fighting with swords. Perhaps that's another reason I like Tenchu Z, in spite of its draw-backs.

Paladin_1962
12-20-2007, 11:37 AM
If Assassin's Creed were truly a 'stealth' game, there should have been ways to assassinate your target, without dozens of guards and citizens watching the kill. You could have still left a 'calling-card', or done an Assassination-style killing, which would have let everyone know this was no normal killing, but an actual assassination by a group of people to be feared and respected.

Everything is done in daylight (no night time in the game - ain't that odd?). It would have been neat to be able to lurk in the shadows at night, sneaking up on guards, and breaking into a targets home and contend with interior guards, and make your way up to the bed-chamber, or sneak up behind your target while he's eating or reading, or whatever...and pull off a throat-slitting from behind.

Instead, every kill in Assassin's Creed is a long, drawn-out brawl with dozens of guards, each and every time....yawn.

There is nothing remotely 'stealthy' about Assassin's Creed, but then again - I'm not certain if Ubisoft ever intended it to be that way, so most comments about 'stealth' in this game are moot. But, if anyone intended for this to be a 'stealth-style' game then they fell short of the mark....

Dragoon13063
12-20-2007, 02:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dragoon13063:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kieran_Y:

MONK BUTTON* there point recessed anybody else wanna argue that this game is just action oriented just post it up and i can prove you wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good luck with upper level English in highschool. In case you're having difficulty with reading I'm arguing that AC is not primarily a stealth game because of the fact that there are no consequences for being identified nor are the "stealth" aspects challenging. You're talking to someone who's beaten the Splinter Cells and Metal Gears without being noticed or even touching a non essential character. Someone's who's beaten all Hitman's mission's with a Silent Assassin rating.

Since you've stated to "prove you wrong" try poking holes in something I've said before: Like others have said before, the social "stealth" in this game is simply a INSTANTANEOUS DISAPPEARING button. Press and hold A on the street and no guard will ever be suspicious of you. Regardless if the street is empty or not. If a guard sees you in a "restricted area" they give you a warning and plenty of time to move out of site. You can walk up to guards blocking areas and get pushed back as many times as you like without them ever being suspicious. You can attract the largest group of guards without any consequence to the mission fabric. You are also likely to kill ALL of them. Good luck with calling that "stealth." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well coming from a 10 year old little boy (you) I'm guessing you would also know that those so called *stealth* games you listed off aren't as stealthy as you think....for example splinter cell = assault rifle with shotgun attachment....you can kill everyone on the level with it and none of its silent even when its supposed to be a silenced rifle...(excluding the pistol and sniper) another...metal gear solid...huhhhh again machine guns, every cut scene you get noticed but other than that a stealth game....hitman (wasnt mentioned) there is no problem in killing *everyone in every level of that game* continuing i have no problem admitting that AC is a social stealth game but your the one who's nagging about the monk button and usually theres someone on every street and actually i have yet to find a street empty so ya.....have ya even beat the game yet?....probably because obviously someone who's claiming my English isn't good enough for high school has a little trouble on their own coming up with big words to make themselves sound good.

Oh yes one more thing I'm from Spain.

Tela
12-20-2007, 02:36 PM

Since you've stated to "prove you wrong" try poking holes in something I've said before: Like others have said before, the social "stealth" in this game is simply a INSTANTANEOUS DISAPPEARING button. Press and hold A on the street and no guard will ever be suspicious of you. Regardless if the street is empty or not. If a guard sees you in a "restricted area" they give you a warning and plenty of time to move out of site. You can walk up to guards blocking areas and get pushed back as many times as you like without them ever being suspicious. You can attract the largest group of guards without any consequence to the mission fabric. You are also likely to kill ALL of them. Good luck with calling that "stealth." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well coming from a 10 year old little boy (you) I'm guessing you would also know that those so called *stealth* games you listed off aren't as stealthy as you think....for example splinter cell = assault rifle with shotgun attachment....you can kill everyone on the level with it and none of its silent even when its supposed to be a silenced rifle...(excluding the pistol and sniper) another...metal gear solid...huhhhh again machine guns, every cut scene you get noticed but other than that a stealth game....hitman (wasnt mentioned) there is no problem in killing *everyone in every level of that game* continuing i have no problem admitting that AC is a social stealth game but your the one who's nagging about the monk button and usually theres someone on every street and actually i have yet to find a street empty so ya.....have ya even beat the game yet?....probably because obviously someone who's claiming my English isn't good enough for high school has a little trouble on their own coming up with big words to make themselves sound good.

Oh yes one more thing I'm from Spain. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please stop with the insults, or "suggestions". They are unecessary.

I'm sure it is possible for one person to do something in a game, but another person cannot. This does not mean that the stealth in one game isn't really "stealth". It has to do with how the person him/her self plays.

Dragoon13063......I don't care how old you are, or what your grades are/were in school. Your spelling and grammar leaves something to be desired.

Paladin_1962
12-20-2007, 03:12 PM

Your idea of 'stealth' is obviously not what some others would consider 'stealth'. I've played 'stealth' games and I would not consider Assassin's Creed to match the level of stealth that I'm accustomed to.

The so-called stealth aspect of Assassin's Creed is completely lame.

Assassin's Creed idea of 'Stealth':

- Duck your head and walk slowly and a dozen guards who are looking for a killer will ignore you. Yeah, they ignore the only guy in a crowd who's carrying a long-sword, a short-sword on his back, and 15 throwing knives. "Hey! Do you think that guy who's walking slowly away from the crime scene with all those weapons might be the assassin, or, do you think the culprit is one of those women carrying water-jugs!?"

Or,... "Ignore that guy with all the weapons because he's wearing white just like those 4 scholars; it can't be him!"

- Have 20 guys chase after you through city streets, and up and down buildings, and don't bother to check the only roof-top gazebo to see if the killer's in there. "He must have got away from us!. Hey, do you think I should open the flap of this gazebo to see if he's in there? No? Ok."

Anyone who thinks A-C is a 'stealth-game' should look into every single dictionary and thesaurus available until they fully comprehend what the word 'stealth' means.

It's an action game, with minor stealth-wannabe elements, but nothing that remotely approaches genuine stealth.

Those elements are a device used by the developers to allow for anonymity (artificially, and unrealistically); it is not a genuine 'stealth-system'. That's not to say the game isn't good with it's very unique design elements, but stealth it ain't! :-)

blarson11
12-20-2007, 03:29 PM
@ Dragoon: yeah well, gameplay b4 realism. i enjoy the realistic aspects of the game, but they had to make it

1)beatable
2)fun

Also, as has been said several times b4, AC is NOT a stealth game. it is a SOCIAL STEALTH game. its not about hiding, its about not attracting attention to yourself. So 20 guards does not = instant death. If it did no one would play. So they gave you a way to hide. They reward using your environment properly. yeah, the dev team delivered for the most part.

Paladin_1962
12-20-2007, 03:36 PM
blarson11
'blarson11' makes valid points...

The game should be playable and fun, otherwise why fork out the cash for it?

Stealth - Action - RPG - FPS - who cares what the 'genre' or style is? And, if a few design elements are mixed together - all the better.

We shouldn't pigeon-hole the game into a 'type'. We should base its merits on how much enjoyment is derived from playing it.

blarson11
12-20-2007, 03:43 PM
just to clarify that last paragraph was not aimed at any one in particular http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Kieran_Y
12-20-2007, 10:20 PM
"I'm guessing you would also know that those so called *stealth* games you listed off aren't as stealthy as you think" Uhm... ever heard of the standard? Name a game that utilizes more stealth than Splinter Cell, Metal Gear, or Hitman... thats what I thought. There is such a thing as a standard. Otherwise the word 'comparison' and its synonyms wouldn't exist in any language in the world. That answers most of your overwhelming argument that punches so many holes into the fact that AC remains primarily an action game with an aspect of 'stealth.'

"continuing i have no problem admitting that AC is a social stealth game but your the one who's nagging about the monk button and usually theres someone on every street and actually i have yet to find a street empty so ya.....have ya even beat the game yet?" and how is this punching holes in the issue at hand... right.

"probably because obviously someone who's claiming my English isn't good enough for high school has a little trouble on their own coming up with big words to make themselves sound good." Again good luck with upper level languages. Theres such a term as 'audience.' Translate it into any language you want, the term still applies to any language you use. What's the point of embellishment if no one is to appreciate it?

Oh yeah and anyone supporting the greatness of social stealth, point out just where the challenge lies. Try Hitman, that shoots down AC's 'social stealth.'

dirtybird21
12-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Dragoons whole arguement is based on his opinion of everyone else... And really doesn't have much 2 do with the game... lol.