PDA

View Full Version : Torp's constantly bouncing off target, or going THROUGH them ??

riekl
03-24-2005, 11:41 AM
Is this an AI problem ? I fired 4 torps at a merchant .. 2 bounced off, and 2 looked like they went right through the ship to the other side and continued on their merry way ??

quillan
03-24-2005, 11:47 AM
They went under. In heavy seas, the target rides up and down on the waves, so those two fish could have easily gone under the keel. As to the other two, well, they might have struck at too sharp an angle and glanced off, or might have been duds. Both happen. If you have dud torps off, then it was the angle. The glancing blow can still happen if you strike directly from the side. The underside of the ship is curved, so if it hits too low, it can deflect down without going off.

HeibgesU999
03-24-2005, 12:01 PM
The Dud Torpedo modelling is the best of any subsim ever.

Schlesien
03-24-2005, 12:01 PM
Also...arming range for torpedoes is approx. 300 meters. I recommend firing torpedoes when >300m away. Don't forget some torpedoes are duds when realism is set to torpedo duds.

nstutt
03-24-2005, 12:43 PM
And if youre playing in the early part of the war the torpedos had faulty depth keeping which wasnt founf out till later. When the scientists found this out they told all of the sub crews to set depth of their torpedos to 0m! This may be modelled in the game.

Timber...wolf
03-24-2005, 12:49 PM
I personally use the impact setting and set if for 3 meters above the depth of the target ... in the manual it may say a cargo whatever is depth of 8 so I set the torp to run at 5 .. it seemed when I ran it lower it wouldnt go off when I ran it to magnetically detonate it detonated to early .. way to early .. like the ship didnt even change course just a big boom .. supposedly ya want a lower than water level hit to enhance the damage this is why I set the contact for low as possible. I still get some I guess duds and bounce offs I have the torp setting at duds allowed ..