PDA

View Full Version : Happy Thanksgiving.....

Bearcat99
11-25-2004, 06:51 AM
To those who will be observing it today. I hope that in addition to the good grub all of you will have a safe holiday with some quality stick time in there. ~!S!~

thefarb2
11-25-2004, 08:31 AM
for turkey day, fly a 190

SkyChimp
11-25-2004, 08:36 AM
Thanks, Bearcat. Same to you and everyone else.

Just a note to any non-American who may not know why we give thanks on the last Thursday of November:

The year that is drawing towards its close, has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the source from which they come, others have been added, which are of so extraordinary a nature, that they cannot fail to penetrate and soften even the heart which is habitually insensible to the ever watchful providence of Almighty God. In the midst of a civil war of unequalled magnitude and severity, which has sometimes seemed to foreign States to invite and to provoke their aggression, peace has been preserved with all nations, order has been maintained, the laws have been respected and obeyed, and harmony has prevailed everywhere except in the theatre of military conflict; while that theatre has been greatly contracted by the advancing armies and navies of the Union. Needful diversions of wealth and of strength from the fields of peaceful industry to the national defence, have not arrested the plough, the shuttle, or the ship; the axe had enlarged the borders of our settlements, and the mines, as well of iron and coal as of the precious metals, have yielded even more abundantly than heretofore. Population has steadily increased, notwithstanding the waste that has been made in the camp, the siege and the battle-field; and the country, rejoicing in the consciousness of augmented strength and vigor, is permitted to expect continuance of years with large increase of freedom.

No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things. They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy. It has seemed to me fit and proper that they should be solemnly, reverently and gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and voice by the whole American People. I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings, they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to his tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquillity and Union.

Abraham Lincoln

Udidtoo
11-25-2004, 09:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SkyChimp:
Thanks, Bearcat. Same to you and everyone else.

Just a note to any non-American who may not know why we give thanks on the last Thursday of November:

_The year that is drawing towards its close, has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the source from which they come, others have been added, which are of so extraordinary a nature, that they cannot fail to penetrate and soften even the heart which is habitually insensible to the ever watchful providence of Almighty God. In the midst of a civil war of unequalled magnitude and severity, which has sometimes seemed to foreign States to invite and to provoke their aggression, peace has been preserved with all nations, order has been maintained, the laws have been respected and obeyed, and harmony has prevailed everywhere except in the theatre of military conflict; while that theatre has been greatly contracted by the advancing armies and navies of the Union. Needful diversions of wealth and of strength from the fields of peaceful industry to the national defence, have not arrested the plough, the shuttle, or the ship; the axe had enlarged the borders of our settlements, and the mines, as well of iron and coal as of the precious metals, have yielded even more abundantly than heretofore. Population has steadily increased, notwithstanding the waste that has been made in the camp, the siege and the battle-field; and the country, rejoicing in the consciousness of augmented strength and vigor, is permitted to expect continuance of years with large increase of freedom.

No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things. They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy. It has seemed to me fit and proper that they should be solemnly, reverently and gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and voice by the whole American People. I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings, they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to his tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquillity and Union.

Abraham Lincoln_ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here, here and pass the cheesecake...Happy Thanksgiving one and all. S'

Zen--
11-25-2004, 09:15 AM
Happy Thanksgiving from myself and my wonderful family.

<S>

Aaron_GT
11-25-2004, 09:45 AM
My wife's just making the pumpkin pie right now (I'm in the UK, but she's from over there). You haven't lived until you've had her pumpkin pie!

Ankanor
11-25-2004, 10:20 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif I want pumpkin pie!!! Haven't tasted it for more than two years!!! Especially the one my grandmother makes... With walnuts and cinnamon. Oh, the pleasure, oh the awesome taste... Will have to wait till Christmas. Happy Thanksgiving, American Brothers, Spend it with your close ones, forget about the Game... Or I will make you regret it

And Remember | |
| |
V V

Extreme_One
11-25-2004, 10:29 AM
Never tasted Pumpkin Pie... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

Happy Thanksgiving to all you Yanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Aaron_GT
11-25-2004, 11:37 AM
Extreme One: you are in the UK aren't you?

Monty_Thrud
11-25-2004, 11:55 AM
Have a good one chaps.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif Did you say CHEEEESE CAKE and PIE....mmm-kay http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Extreme_One
11-25-2004, 11:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aaron_GT:
Extreme One: you are in the UK aren't you? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes - Southampton - and you?

TheGozr
11-25-2004, 12:16 PM
happy thanks giving to all.

Aaron_GT
11-25-2004, 02:54 PM
Well I'm just about to take 3 pumpkin pies out of the oven, Simon. If you rush up from Southampton now I'll keep one warm for you :-)

Copperhead310th
11-25-2004, 02:55 PM
this is the Thankgiving message i posted lat night on the 310th website. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
i'll repost it here.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Well as I sit here with a nice glass of Egg Nog With a healthy amount of Capt. Morgan€s rum dashed in€¦. I find my self pondering the world. Thanksgiving above all else is a time when we as Americans come together in the spirit of fellowship to enjoy one another€s company & give thanks. So I thought is only appropriate that I as Commanding Officer should take the time to list all the things I should be Thankful for.
Here goes.
I am thankful that the P-47 Thunderbolt has 8 Machineguns instead of 2.
I am thankful that the P-47 is faster than the FW-190D-9 at sea level.
I am thankful that my chute is always packed just right. (Since I use it often)
I am thankful that the jug is like a Timex with wings. Takes a lickin€€¦.keeps on tickn€.
I am thankful that my pilots can actually find the letter €œI€ on their keyboards.
I am thankful that there are no Ta-152€s in the SW PTO.
I am thankful that there are no KI-84C€s on War-clouds Pacific.
I am thankful that the engines on all Luftwaffe jets flame more than Richard Simmons @ a Neil Diamond concert.
I am thankful that the P-47 runs forever on a tank of gas. (Too bad my pickup don€t)
And lastly I am thankful to have been involved with such a great hobby & to be associated with the best group of men I have ever had the privilege to call my friends.

Finally,
To all our United States service men and women the world over who put their lives on the line every single day from sea to shining sea and all four corners of the globe so we can sit here in the comfort of our homes, free from tyranny & oppression and enjoy the fruits of your sacrifice€¦ A Toast & a hearty Salute. S!~ You will all be in out hearts & prayers.

Happy Thanksgiving one & all from the 310th Virtual Fighter Squadron, 380th Virtual Bomb Group & 418th Virtual Night Fighter Squadron.

***Note: 310th group members & staff. We will take leave from all squadron duties beginning at midnight November 24th and will resume active status on Saturday November 27th. Be safe and have a great Thanksgiving!*** S!~ Copperhead

The Beer is ice cold and the bird in the deep fryer is almost ready. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

darkhorizon11
11-25-2004, 05:18 PM
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Especially to those stationed overseas who are doing they're best to celebrate this wonderful day!

Remember to never take freedom for granted!

~S~

Cajun76
11-25-2004, 05:32 PM
Happy Thanksgiving all. AaronGT, can you keep one of those pies warm a bit longer? It's only 23 hours by plane.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

jensenpark
11-25-2004, 05:36 PM
yes, Happy Thanksgiving to our American family and friends down south.

Even if you do celebrate it on the wrong day! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

tsisqua
11-25-2004, 07:49 PM
Many blessings to all, and thanks to all our non-Yank friends that took the time to post here.

My Sis-In-Law made some of the most awesome sweet potato caserole . . . pecans inside. Mmmmmm. I'll be having pumpkin pie as soon as some of my over-indulging wears off.

Happy Thanksgiving
Tsisqua

FI.Snaphoo
11-25-2004, 11:04 PM
Here in the southern U.S, we don't always have pumpkin pie. We have something far better....

Pecan Pie!

Happy Thanksgiving to all, and to all a good nap!