PDA

View Full Version : Ship Bombing

XyZspineZyX
08-21-2003, 11:35 AM
Now that Oleg's team has made ships once again sinkable, me and my team mates are having big problems actually hitting the ship. With the Stuka, great care is taken to overfly the target and, using the alignment marks on the right canopy to achieve a near perfect 90 degree dive angle, placing target squarely in the crosshairs with bomb release when contact altimeter sounds-off. Everytime, the bombs "just miss" when dropped by a human. We've tried it with wings both parallel and perpendicular to the ship's longitudinal axis with the same results. I used the external "6" view of a team mate's Fw-190F8 attack on the Marat. He was in a fairly shallow dive, coming straight in from the ship's stern to insure a hit somewhere within the length of the ship. He released and I thought, "He's got it!". However, even though he had already released the bomb, he jinked slightly right to avoid the ship's superstructure and the bomb splashed off to the right side of the ship. It's as though the bomb was influenced by the aircraft's maneuver even after release. Granted, what one person sees on their computer may not be exactly what is seen by the other person, but the pilot said the ship's bow was visible directly in the crosshairs upon release and there's no understanding how the bomb did not fall along that line. The AI scores a high percentage of the time. In flying the Ju-87G with cannon convergence set to 350m, we found using the first tickmark below the crosshair center to give best results. Is there any such "Kentucky windage" that will increase the likelihood of putting a bomb on a ship?

XyZspineZyX
08-21-2003, 11:35 AM
Now that Oleg's team has made ships once again sinkable, me and my team mates are having big problems actually hitting the ship. With the Stuka, great care is taken to overfly the target and, using the alignment marks on the right canopy to achieve a near perfect 90 degree dive angle, placing target squarely in the crosshairs with bomb release when contact altimeter sounds-off. Everytime, the bombs "just miss" when dropped by a human. We've tried it with wings both parallel and perpendicular to the ship's longitudinal axis with the same results. I used the external "6" view of a team mate's Fw-190F8 attack on the Marat. He was in a fairly shallow dive, coming straight in from the ship's stern to insure a hit somewhere within the length of the ship. He released and I thought, "He's got it!". However, even though he had already released the bomb, he jinked slightly right to avoid the ship's superstructure and the bomb splashed off to the right side of the ship. It's as though the bomb was influenced by the aircraft's maneuver even after release. Granted, what one person sees on their computer may not be exactly what is seen by the other person, but the pilot said the ship's bow was visible directly in the crosshairs upon release and there's no understanding how the bomb did not fall along that line. The AI scores a high percentage of the time. In flying the Ju-87G with cannon convergence set to 350m, we found using the first tickmark below the crosshair center to give best results. Is there any such "Kentucky windage" that will increase the likelihood of putting a bomb on a ship?

XyZspineZyX
08-21-2003, 02:50 PM
Please continue in General Discussion

<p align="center">
<A HREF="http://mudmovers.com/sturmovik_101/FAQ.htm" TARGET=_blank>
Unofficial IL-2 Community FAQ</font></A>

<fontsize=2>Hunter82's Tech Pages (http://mudmovers.com/tech/tech_pages.htm)
Forgotten Battles Reality Check (http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_065a.html)
</font></p>