PDA

View Full Version : Spit/Seafire flaps

Dr_Schmerz
12-18-2004, 07:11 AM
Anybody knows why the Seafire's flaps can only be set to 'landing'? That looks quite strange when u take of from a carrier with your flaps set to an angle of 90?... BTW, only the human driven Seafires act like that. The KI driven Seafires can set their flaps to something like 'take off'.

John_Stag
12-18-2004, 07:33 AM
Because a Spit/Seafires flaps had two settings: "Up", or "Down".

Why complicate perfection?

VW-IceFire
12-18-2004, 07:39 AM
There's only two settings on all Seafires and Spitfires. The flaps were meant for landing purposes only.

On the Seafires, it was somewhat common to lower the flaps, insert wooden blocks into them, and then raise the flaps. The blocks would prevent them from full retraction.

Pilots liked to drop the blocks on the flight deck after takeoff too! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WIFC_Phantom
12-18-2004, 07:56 AM
the simple way around it is not to drop the flaps until you are 1/2 way down the deck, then by the time you are up then they are in the suitable positon...then retract them.

If all you care about is that it looks funny...you have issues my friend!

Jungmann
12-18-2004, 09:58 AM
Wait a minute--the Doctor is right. This issue has always bugged me, in FB and now PF. The Spitfire flaps were for landing only--they were barn doors, drag inducers, like air brakes--they added no lift, they only killed it. The Pilot's Manual says use them only on landing. You fanboys make a big hoo-hah over an innacurately modelled 10KPH climb rate in a 109e or something like that--well, the flap modelling on all marks of the Spit in the game is worse, IMHO--it's totally wrong.

I've known it all along--I've never posted a rant to Oleg about it because I just stuck it on the list in my mind of things in the game that are not quite right. But when somebody brings it up for the community, he shouldn't draw s**t for it.

Cheers,

John_Stag
12-18-2004, 10:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jungmann:
Wait a minute--the Doctor is right. This issue has always bugged me, in FB and now PF. The Spitfire flaps were for landing only--they were barn doors, drag inducers, like air brakes--they added no lift, they only killed it. The Pilot's Manual says use them only on landing.
Cheers, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct. And your point is...?

Jungmann
12-18-2004, 11:41 AM
My point is my second paragraph.

John_Stag
12-18-2004, 12:22 PM
If you press the "V" key, the flaps go all the way down.

If you press the "F" key, the flaps go all the way up.

Due to a game engine limitation, if you use a slider/rotary, you can cheat. but if you use it the way intended, it works as it should.

ploughman
12-18-2004, 03:47 PM
If you turn on the autopilot it sets the flaps to half (the little flap lever goes half the way down). Once its done that turn the autopilot off and you're all set.

To retract flaps you have to open and then close them, just like if they had the wooden blocks the Malta Spits used for carrier take-offs which is a nice touch.

Dr_Schmerz
12-20-2004, 01:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John_Stag:
Because a Spit/Seafires flaps had two settings: "Up", or "Down".

Why complicate perfection? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

U did not get me.. my point is: Why does the KI driven Spit act in a way that we cant?

Dr_Schmerz
12-20-2004, 01:50 AM
If all you care about is that it looks funny...you have issues my friend![/QUOTE]

well my friend, the whole forum cares about issues that are no real issues.. so please keep friendly.

Tully__
12-20-2004, 02:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr_Schmerz:
U did not get me.. my point is: Why does the KI driven Spit act in a way that we cant? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To limit the impact of calculating AI behaviour on game performance, certain shortcuts were taken when programming flight models and control settings for AI pilots. The flap setting issue on aircraft with limited flap settings is one of those shortcuts. You'll see the same flap thing happen when flying with AI controlled I-16's, which also had only Up or Down in real life.

BuzzU
12-20-2004, 10:52 AM
Now we have flaps on a slider?

Is that you Ray?

John_Stag
12-20-2004, 12:26 PM
AFIK, theyve always beem mappable to a slider/rotary. I use it for the aircraft which historically were equipped with such flaps.

Who the hell is Ray?