PDA

View Full Version : bob extreme speed, visual effects?

joe.08
10-09-2007, 11:31 PM
just did a quick search and couldn't find what i was looking for so if its been discussed i apologize.

there was a console racing game that came out a few years back that received a lot of praise for its visual effects when kicking in the nitro.

it was a bit overdone but looked good.

the best i can describe it your vision narrows, your peripheral blurs and what you can make out is like streaks of light which is pretty much what you see irl.

thought it would look better than the gradual redding and greying out at high g's

anyway have the bob devs commented on anything like this?

joe.08
10-09-2007, 11:31 PM
just did a quick search and couldn't find what i was looking for so if its been discussed i apologize.

there was a console racing game that came out a few years back that received a lot of praise for its visual effects when kicking in the nitro.

it was a bit overdone but looked good.

the best i can describe it your vision narrows, your peripheral blurs and what you can make out is like streaks of light which is pretty much what you see irl.

thought it would look better than the gradual redding and greying out at high g's

anyway have the bob devs commented on anything like this?

ImpStarDuece
10-10-2007, 01:33 AM
Having undergone a few aerobatics routines (backseat only, I'm not a pilot), the current effect in IL-2 is pretty good, but far from perfect.

I don't know about the vision blurring though. In my, admittedly limited experience at highish G forces (3-4 G sustained) my vision would progressively tunnel, but I didn't lose any acuity.

I would lose much of my peripheral vision very quickly under 'G', blacking out the edges of my visual cone while retaining a very clear center of focus. Things also felt like they were getting further away (probably as a result of my brain not having sufficient things to compare size to as my cone of vision narrowed).

Getting higher into the G force range (4+) my vision would then start to go monochromatic, before tunneling again, starting slowly after the monochromatic onset but accelerating exponentially.

I never blacked out, but I'm tall (190 cm) and slim (85 kg), so I'm not exactly the most G tolerant person.

Negative G produced (in me) a strong red-out, and was far more sudden than the progressive onset associated with positive G forces, with less initial tunneling of the visual channel.

I'd like to see the effect to be a little stronger on the pheripheral vision, and perhaps a little more sudden. It would add another dimension to gunnery and turnfighting to keep tracking an opponent through a progressively narrowing window of vision.