PDA

View Full Version : 8 axis joystick?

FA_Whisky
09-28-2004, 02:22 AM
Anyone got an idea here? What i want to make is a joystick with sliders for 3 trim axis and another 4 or 5 for engine control, flaps and brakes.
Now i have read somewhere about some allready existing hardware for the USB part. I think that all you had to do is connect the sliders and buttons. Anyone got an idea where i can find hardware like this?

FA_Whisky
09-28-2004, 02:22 AM
Anyone got an idea here? What i want to make is a joystick with sliders for 3 trim axis and another 4 or 5 for engine control, flaps and brakes.
Now i have read somewhere about some allready existing hardware for the USB part. I think that all you had to do is connect the sliders and buttons. Anyone got an idea where i can find hardware like this?

Gremlin181
09-28-2004, 02:37 AM
Really good idea you have there.
I looked around for a Joystick with 2 hat switches with a view to using one for trim and one as normal.

However failing to find that I bought the thrustmaster tactical board it was intended for the likes of Call of duty etc but it works fine for me in fsims.
Sliders would be way better but until you market your design this mere mortal will have to make do.
Good luck in your quest.

Tully__
09-28-2004, 03:47 AM
There used to be a place that had modular kits using canibalized Saitek Cyborgs for USB interface but that company dropped that product line.

An alternative is a standard joystick combined with the new CH Throttle Quadrant (http://www.chproducts.com/retail/usb_throttle_quad.htm), but don't expect too much of it. Unless some dramatic changes are made to engine management, you won't be able to use it for mixture and you'll still need to do some very fancy footwork with profiles to simultaneously control several engines with different inputs.

FA_Whisky
09-28-2004, 04:12 AM
The idea was not to control multiple engines. Just to have a slider for throttle, mixture and pitch. What i use now is a custom build second joystick with sliders instead of a handheld stick. But is has only 3 axis http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif and i want some more for trim. Maybe a third USB joystick will do the trick.

jeroen-79
09-28-2004, 04:36 AM
http://betainnovations.com/

FA_Whisky
09-28-2004, 05:35 AM
That is what i was looking for!!!
enige ervaring hiermee Jeroen?

jeroen-79
09-28-2004, 09:20 AM
Personally, no.

John_Stag
09-28-2004, 01:36 PM
depends how far you want to go. Looking at those prices, there's a cheaper option. Radio Shack does a box which converts a gameport stick into a USB unit for about 10.00, say $15.00. It will give you 4 buttons, 3 rotaries and a POV (Though I've not figured out how to run the POV through the gameport yet.

Once you've got this its just a matter of designing your control package; I've got two "black boxes" running alongside my saitek X45 and that gives me plenty of options, though I do want to bung in a few more. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

FA_Whisky
09-28-2004, 02:58 PM
how many joysticks can you use. I also got a "blackbox" giving me 8 buttons and 3 axis. CAn i just build another or will the game not accept 3 joysticks?

BuzzU
09-28-2004, 03:19 PM
The way FB trims are setup now. Will an axis work for them?

jeroen-79
09-28-2004, 03:46 PM
The POV would be one of the 4 axes.
The gameport has 4 analog axes and 4 digital buttons.

On old Thrustmaster sticks the hat would change the value of one axis, the driver would translate that to a hatposition.

I don't have any links for you but IIRC it was the fourth axis.

Google for "gameport pinout".

Old CH sticks had another scheme where up to 15 buttons would each form a unique combination with the four buttons.

Of course, what you can do with such an adaptor depends on it's drivers.

John_Stag
09-28-2004, 10:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FA_Whisky:
how many joysticks can you use. I also got a "blackbox" giving me 8 buttons and 3 axis. CAn i just build another or will the game not accept 3 joysticks? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I understand it, you can use as many as you like. As I said, I currently have three "joysticks." but the two black boxes I built were really just prototypes for the real project.

My favourite aircraft is the Hurricane, and I'd like to set up a cockpit which follows the Hurri's layout, using toggle switches where appropriate. I think that can be done by using an on-on toggle attached to a relay, but I don't actually know much about electronics; what If done so far is just very simple circuitry.

@ BuzzU: that's basically what the rotaries of one of my boxes is. The USB converter has default programming for a four button stick with three axis and a hat switch. the fact that the three axis have knobs attached rather than rudder pedals and a hand grip is irrelevant, though when you go to the calibration screen it just shows the standard setup screen for a joystick. no big deal. it still calibrates and works fine.

Tully__
09-29-2004, 09:05 AM
IL2/FB will accept up to four USB devices as input. I've seen several posts suggesting that four is the limit but I haven't tried it with more to see if that's definitely the case.

BaldieJr
09-29-2004, 11:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeroen-79:
http://betainnovations.com/ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got the plasma2 from this site. It is awesome. Worth every penny.

The additional 32-button kit looks promising. I'll probably pick that up in november.

SaintViper01
09-29-2004, 02:34 PM
A thrustmaster cougar will already do this. There are 2 rotary dials on the throttle which can be mapped to trim and prop pitch.

SaintViper01
09-29-2004, 02:36 PM
oops, looks like you need a lot more axis than just 2. I guess you can buy a bunch of cheap usb throttles and line them all up. The game supports multiple controllers just fine.