PDA

View Full Version : AC2 to easy!

mahtasooma
03-17-2010, 02:38 AM
I play AC2 on pc and im done btw i need 20% (treasure & feather)..sry, 4 my bad english..

mahtasooma
03-17-2010, 02:38 AM
I play AC2 on pc and im done btw i need 20% (treasure & feather)..sry, 4 my bad english..

adarwinter
03-17-2010, 05:45 AM
the game is stupid easy. really really really easy.

it's so easy that i dont feel any satisfaction from the combat and being overwhelmed is a blessing instead of an exhilarating challenge.

the reason - the last square that recharges back and the fact that when u hold block - nothing can go through it but the brutes that still dont finish u when u r down.

all in all - if u hold block - u will never EVER EVER die. (unless u fall from high places and this doesnt happen more than a couple of times in this game)

Pl-Destroy
03-17-2010, 08:03 AM
Too easy but if they make it harder they must NOT only make enemies harder. They must make the money management and notoriety/stealth more difficult too.

adarwinter
03-17-2010, 08:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pl-Destroy:
Too easy but if they make it harder they must NOT only make enemies harder. They must make the money management and notoriety/stealth more difficult too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think that if enemies would fight harder (attack u while u r attacking others) and the last diamond wouldnt refill and if u couldnt accumulate over 15 potions of health than the fear of dying would solve all other issues. i think that if u r low on health and dont want to fight than the current notoriety and stealth mechanics will do fine.

im currently playing AC2 without ANY armor (only the boots) and with no health potions nor health potion pockets and whenever i reach 0 health (the the screen flashes red) i just let go of the mouse and keyboard until the diamond grows back. this usually means that im dead if im in the middle of combat. playing like this gives some more tension and fun to the gameplay that otherwise completely lacks.

Murcuseo
03-17-2010, 12:54 PM
The combat and freerunning aspect of the game is incredably easy but I guarantee none of you would have managed to figure out the glyphs without a guide or walkthrough :P

Some Difficulty settings would definately have been a good idea.

I was pretty disappointed by the ending, it was far to easy to get to... far to easy!!

Try playing the game with all the HUD off and don't use a guide for the glyphs... see how easy it is then lol

mileafly
03-18-2010, 02:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robson19822009:
The combat and freerunning aspect of the game is incredably easy but I guarantee none of you would have managed to figure out the glyphs without a guide or walkthrough :P

Some Difficulty settings would definately have been a good idea.

I was pretty disappointed by the ending, it was far to easy to get to... far to easy!!

Try playing the game with all the HUD off and don't use a guide for the glyphs... see how easy it is then lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Glypths, do you mean the symbols that unlock a riddle to get the videos of the "truth"?

I agree it takes a while to solve sometimes but its not hard at all compared to many riddles in other adventure games (klick and play games like grim fandango and so on). I did not use a guide to solve them.

And also i did play with much hudd off. I turned off the health and notority meter right away because i never died in combat anyway. The only hud i left on was the minimap.

This game is incredible, i love it (apart from the stupid drm and all the bugs).

But its waaaaay to easy, i did not die once in my playthrough in combat. The only times i did die was from accidantly leaping off a to tall building and dying of the fall.

The combat is cool and i like it visually, but it feels a bit strange to be sutch a warrior taking down 20 enemies at a time when you are supposed to be a silent assassin. The same can also be said about the enemie soldiers who can climb and jump buildings as good as you the assassin.

I never get that suspension when i am about to take out my target, there is no need for strategy, the easiest way is just to run right into the fight and kill off you target without any stealth.

adarwinter
03-18-2010, 03:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
I never get that suspension when i am about to take out my target, there is no need for strategy, the easiest way is just to run right into the fight and kill off you target without any stealth. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah. that's the main problem with this game. combat is so easy u dont need stealth, blending, smoke bombs, poison, hiring groups, potions or any other assistance at all.

try playing with the weakest armor and whenever u get to 0 health (when the screen goes blurry and u wait for the last health diamond to recharge) just let go of the keyboard\controller until it's refilled. u will usually get killed at that point but that's how i play in order to occasionally die and re-feal the tension that was supposed to be in this game but isnt.

drfathertime
03-18-2010, 10:05 AM
Well the combat is just too bloody easy, agreed.

Always had trouble seeing protagonists as an assassin, but more like, well William Wallace. Like sword held high and goes "Chaaaaaarge!"

I guess it's something of DNA defect of Altair that even Ezio inherited huh?

I mean seriously environment is scarier than enemies ever will in this series, in Screed 1, I was more afraid of water than enemies, and in Screed 2 heights than enemies.

Combats did feel like a time sink without any threats what so ever, and I just HATED targeting system. I mean Prototype targeting sucked butt, but that was better than Screed targeting in any given day.

adarwinter
03-18-2010, 06:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by drfathertime:
Well the combat is just too bloody easy, agreed.

Always had trouble seeing protagonists as an assassin, but more like, well William Wallace. Like sword held high and goes "Chaaaaaarge!"

I guess it's something of DNA defect of Altair that even Ezio inherited huh?

I mean seriously environment is scarier than enemies ever will in this series, in Screed 1, I was more afraid of water than enemies, and in Screed 2 heights than enemies.

Combats did feel like a time sink without any threats what so ever, and I just HATED targeting system. I mean Prototype targeting sucked butt, but that was better than Screed targeting in any given day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

im having a hard time figuring out why they took what AC1 did and made it worse. in AC1 u had enemies that could dodge, counter, defence break, make power attacks.

the combat in AC2 is completely out of balance, as everyone noticed, and for SO MANY REASONS.

let see:

* u have one enemy type that can do a power attack (brutes).
if it was so that everyone can do a power attack with a sword that can break through ezio's defense than that would have been magnificent.

* the weaker guards dont know how to block.
how bout some basic training guys, before u put on your blue panty hoes and silly hats?

* it seems like almost only agiles can dodge

* spear guys can make u fall but no one can hurt u while u r down so what da F is that good for?

* why cant enemies do a defense break?! that was the only way to limit the players ability to not abuse the block button.

* targeting was better in AC1. i could hit the target i want to more easily.
in AC2 they added the strafe movement which is cool and if u can strafe around a charging AI u can kill him with one hit from behind but SO MANY TIME i can behind a guy and when i attack - ezio switches targets and attacks someone else. arg!

* not sure but it seems like enemies tended to attack faster in AC1 than in AC2.

* enemies dont attack enough. they are a group and while im in a combo no one intervenes. it's WAY to easy to button mash.

* enemies dont grab?! in AC1 they never damaged u when u were down but that could add tention to fighting on roof tops.

* when enemies counter ezio, ezio jumps automatically out of the way of the counter hit to avoid counter damage.
why didnt we get control over that lil jump? why no make ezio take damage by counters but make it possible to escape a counter's damage?

* why doesnt a counter against ezio make a lil damage? half a diamond that recharges is enough. why no?

* that last ddiamond that replenishes ruins everything. if u try and let go of the controller every time u get to 0 health u will find out how more challenging the game can get. not a whole lot (for the million reasons i specified above) but more. it seems like AC2 was INTENDED to NOT have the last diamond recharge but they added it in the end of some reason like the game is for 7 year olds.

* arnold schwarzenegger will feel vulnerable like an obese teenage girl next to ezio with his mighty armor. why not make the ground even for ezio and AI? just about 5-10 health. not recharging bullocks. when u r at 0 u die. no need for 30 diamonds.

* some sort of limitation on the health potion could have been nice. 5 is more than enough. how noobs UBI think we are that we will need 30 diamonds of health AND 15 health potions??

all in all, UBI needs to get the message -
WE ARE GAMERS! we know how to play. dont treat us like little kids that get offended and cry every time we die. we dont mind it as much as u think. let us be challenged.

If we are not challenged, if we do not fail, how can we appreciate a success?

this would not have bothered me so much if AC2 wasnt SO GOOD in every other way. if this game was challenging than it would have been a true gem i'd play for months. as it stands, it isnt exciting. it isnt exhilirating. it isnt holding me in tension and it doesnt push my skills.

godsmack_darius
03-18-2010, 06:48 PM
^^I approve of this post http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

gwklam
03-18-2010, 11:13 PM
LOL, maybe the 15th century european people arent as good in fighting 12th century holy land people

adarwinter
03-19-2010, 02:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gwklam:
LOL, maybe the 15th century european people arent as good in fighting 12th century holy land people </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that is obvious. have u SEEN the way they dress?

pansies...

Sabatasso
03-19-2010, 02:54 AM
No one is forcing you to put on Altair's armor. I played most of the game with a pair of leather boots, a cestus and a bracer/wristguard. I found no way to take off an armor once it's on though, I can only switch back to a worse one.. so I am wearing full armor now, but mostly the cheapest leather armor.

Gekkibi
03-19-2010, 03:16 AM
The reason why the guards can't fight in 15th centruty Italy is the same reason why they couldn't fight in 20th century Italy during World War II. Touche. :P

Edit: Whoops. Fixed a typo.

adarwinter
03-19-2010, 04:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sabatasso:
No one is forcing you to put on Altair's armor. I played most of the game with a pair of leather boots, a cestus and a bracer/wristguard. I found no way to take off an armor once it's on though, I can only switch back to a worse one.. so I am wearing full armor now, but mostly the cheapest leather armor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i dont even have the wristguard on. i have only leather boots and a pouch for 5 potions which i never ever use. still - the game is way way way too easy. it's because of the last diamond that recharges. once u r at 0 health and the screen flashes read all u need to do is hold the block button for 2 seconds and u r back at 1 diamond. almost nothing can hurt u when u hold block. it's unbalanced. it's so unbalanced it makes AC1 looks like a romanian beam gymnast.

Sabatasso
03-19-2010, 05:22 AM
Yeah, I do agree, I want parry changed to a timing based skill like counter attack, wich I mentioned in some other thread on this forum. But avoiding getting armor is at least a way to make it less easy.

drfathertime
03-19-2010, 07:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adarwinter:
im having a hard time figuring out why they took what AC1 did and made it worse. in AC1 u had enemies that could dodge, counter, defence break, make power attacks.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bet that someone (read "casual" gamers) complained to UBI that "OMG OMG OMG Screed1 combat is just too hard!!!!11oneeleven" or something.

BTW ROFLtastic line with governator http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

In a way 15th century people should be less adequate fighters, I mean people who hang around in holy land in 12th century, if you weren't good at fighting, you could kiss your armored arse good bye, but in Renaissance period, it wasn't like daily schedule to introducing a big fat maul into someones skull, poisons and backstabbing were more preferred method.

Hey I like how Italian were clad, I think their cloth were more exciting than todays wardrobes IMO.

SWJS
03-19-2010, 09:49 AM
It really doesn't matter to me. I'm a casual gamer, but I'm open to challenge.

The only time I really care is when a game gets Nintendo Hard and becomes ridiculous. Like Halo 3 on Heroic, or most Nintendo games. Funny how the most family oriented company made the most difficult games. Those side scrollers where you only got a few lives and had to start over were murder. Today's games are much easier, I agree. but as long as I have fun, I don't care. I'm not having fun if I'm cursing at my TV and throwing the controller across the room. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

drfathertime
03-19-2010, 12:06 PM
There's difference between easy, and mind numbing easy.

Screed 2 belongs to the latter.

ILLusioNaire
03-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Yes, of course AC2 is too easy. Killing guards is as easy as making a sandwich. Ubisoft needed to make the guards more technical when fighting. But of course we must remember that Ezio is a super assassin, so there should still be ways to overcome all that the guards dish out against you. The problem is the guards weren't all to bright. Like the spearmen sweeping you and then not finishing you off while you're on the ground. Or the guards not dodging... Like someone said before, how about some basic training before you're deemed qualified to to guard the city, especially from a super assassin. I mean, what would they do if the had to defend the city from steppe horde or something? And where is all the crime in the city? Seems like I'm the only guy causing trouble in the world. The thieves should be active instead of flipping coins on some hidden rooftop. And where's the other murderers, gangs an what not? Nowhere to be found it seems. Anyway, there should've been more tech to the combat system, and the guards should've been more well trained. But I think that as good as they make the guards, they should allow you the room and ability to easily overcome them if you do things right, while still of course making things challenging, because Ezio is supposed to be superior in training. I would've liked to see there be a "super soldier" in the game though, sort of like the Templars in AC1. I think that the Templar Knights in AC1 were actually too easy to kill though. Maybe in AC3 we could see something like this.

drfathertime
03-19-2010, 02:20 PM
or just... simply learn how to attack simultaneously.

But killer ninja templer robots will be fine too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

monkeyuncle8
03-19-2010, 07:23 PM
the game was pretty easy except for the parts that made me mad like the camera angles in the crypts and the guards noticing me, but this game is not meant to be challenging it is more about the storyline than anything else, I hope in the next game we get to chose what we do not just have ezio fallowing blindly to anything someones says

gwklam
03-20-2010, 12:00 AM
I've died having a leap of faith fail, but other than that i have never died......all of the people seem so easy to kill with the hidden blade......its almost effortless to kill with it.

But one thing i would wish is if i could take off all the armour, not just switching to the weakest armour.
I also wished we could also avoid buying armour in the first place, but of course that would ruin the progress of Uncle Marios villa. but wanted something challenging, i even went along disabling all the HUD....but.....sigh.....the AI needs to improve a bit.

adarwinter
03-20-2010, 06:17 AM
the first place to look at as to a combat system that makes u feel powerful but challenged in the right way is batman:arkham asylum.
the combat system in BAA is even more simple and less tactical than AC2 BUT if u play on HARD than u will occasionally die. in prder for batman to defent himself u need to rely on timing and enemies DO attack a lot. in BAA everytime i died (and since i never upgraded my armor in BAA, it happened quit a lot. he he) it was MY fault. i never felt like the game cheated against me.

i brought forth all the ways to make AC2 (or AC3) so much better in my long post at the end of page 1. they even dont require any new animations. just modifying some values.
after AC1 i was kinda certain that AC2 will be more challenging with these kinda changes but apparently i was really worng.

and making "blocking" timing based will kinda mean that there is less incentive on doin it rather than countering. i would make it so in order to block u have to press the direction of the attacker as well.
but it COULD have been timing based. countering could have been made harder (like u'd need to do it in a smaller window) and deflecting - u just need to press it AFTER the enemy's animation began. but that would change the combat system a bit too much, maybe.
i had other ideas like making deflecting as something u can charge. the longer u charge - the stronger the deflect wil be allowing a stronger attack to follow, but again - that changes the combat mechanics a bit too much.

i wish i could hack the game to restrict myself to 1 or 2 health diamond. im stil trying though. if i succeed i want to constantly be on 0 diamonds. that will actually make me run away on occasions and who knows - maybe i will even use the benches or hay stacks for the first time...

Ru1986
03-20-2010, 07:32 AM
If you think the game is too easy maybe you shouldnt bother with it in the first place. I would say yes it is a bit easy but with the amoount there is to learn about the period in comparisson to the first one where were the landmarks of Damas, Acre and Jeruslem (spelt wrong i know)?? I hope the third one has all the landmarks AC2 does as i loved that feature.

drfathertime
03-20-2010, 08:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gwklam:
I've died having a leap of faith fail </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bet you performed the failed attempt of leap of faith from a cross right?

Because I did couple of those meself as well.

Once I was like "OH SHI-" and managed to cling myself to a wall like 10cm above pavement.
Enzo sure have strong shoulders http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

@Ru1086
I think you are missing the point here, this game is not pure virtual tourism simulator. If we wanted to do that, we could've just done the same with Google Street View you know?

Besides, this game's called "Assassin's Creed" after all, not "Walk around and look at pretty buildings creed". So the assassination is main part of the game, even though too many times it felt like "Going William Wallace Creed" more proper title if you ask me.

Point is, it shouldn't be this easy to kill off 20 guards when you are a sneaky type of person. As for now, guards are mere annoyance and time sink than "OMG I'm so screwed" when surrounded by those guys.

Besides, for an assassin, Ezio is just too well armed up to his teeth TBH. He's just one step from becoming full blown walking tank for gods sake.

tinjo
03-20-2010, 09:48 AM
@ILLusioNaire, yes having some more activity in the world would be a great addition. Especially having the mercs and thieves go around and do what they'd most likely been doing at that time period (causing a ruckus, bumping people and being chased). Having the Thieves guild active in the city would also add a bit of a tactical element to the pick-pocketing.
No use in trying to lift purses in an area where the thieves are active. Also sticking out where others have caused problems would provide the "opportunity" to get a bit of randomized heat on oneself.

All in all though, I greatly enjoyed Assassins creed. Combat was a bit easy but it didn't detract from the game for me at least. After all it was a huge game and the amount of hours and fun I got out of it was way above average of previous titles.

Chidder
03-20-2010, 10:45 AM
It was too easy. In the beginning I was a bit on the edge because I'd read in a games' mag that they'd made the controls/fighting more complicated, but after I found they hadn't really strayed from the original ACI buttons and the way they were used I relaxed.

Actually I expected the missions in general to be more like the ones with the doctor and the ship's captain in the Lieutenants' mission at the end. Solving those was a lot more satisfying.

I also agree that keeping things easy does turn some of the weapons into rather useless baggage because you never use them if you may as well just jump into a situation and take out 20 guards with your sword. I never used a smoke bomb or the poison at all during the game, and the pistol thing only on the two occasions I really had to.

However, if the game had been as difficult as the ship captain mission the whole time I wouldn't have enjoyed the story as much (as I tend to loose track of it if I need to concentrate on other parts of a game too much). For ACIII I would love to see difficulty settings, as others already proposed.

Still, the little psychopath in me loved being able to walk up to random guards and kill them quickly with the hidden blade without much ado. ^^

drfathertime
03-20-2010, 11:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chidder:
I'd read in a games' mag that they'd made the controls/fighting more complicated </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It seems games mag lied through their teeth, I mean I found Screed 2 combat even easier than Screed 1. Thus effectively dumbing down already easy combat of Screed 1. I mean after entire gameplay I can't recall anyone doing even the grab move against Ezio in the first place.

adarwinter
03-20-2010, 01:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by drfathertime:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chidder:
I'd read in a games' mag that they'd made the controls/fighting more complicated </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It seems games mag lied through their teeth, I mean I found Screed 2 combat even easier than Screed 1. Thus effectively dumbing down already easy combat of Screed 1. I mean after entire gameplay I can't recall anyone doing even the grab move against Ezio in the first place. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the enemies no longer grab, barely dodge, the defence break is completely removed and enemy counters dont hurt ezio. the combat system is ever so slightly deeper (disarms, more weapons, strafe move, hidden blades attacks) but the enemies are a lot easier thus making combat much much easier.

drfathertime
03-20-2010, 02:47 PM
@adarwinter
Yup, you nailed it right there.
Good post!

Chidder
03-21-2010, 06:00 AM
I think the combat difficulty of 1 and 2 is pretty much the same, even though it's harder to kill Ezio than Altair. In 1 you win every fight just by counter attacking. And in 2 the counter attack doesn't work quite as well (at least IMO), but you have a couple of other pretty deadly moves.

The heavily armored knights are a nuissance, but if they get too annoying I just dodge and run away. Geez, as if I'd spend 10 minutes clubbing some tank... ;-)

Mitro-Blade
03-21-2010, 02:27 PM
The only thing i thought was easy in AC2 was running away from guards. The guards in AC1 was way harder to shake off when trying to get away, but in AC2 it seems like they fed the guards with donuts which made them lazy, even the agile guards is easy to get away from (Just climb up a building and run from there and they give up faster then you can say I give up)

adarwinter
03-22-2010, 05:54 PM
The way I play AC2 so it wont be too easy is:

A) i didnt upgrade for better armor. if u DID buy better armor and can't remove it - dont repair it. yeah, u will have some red squares. what can u do?

B) I dont use health potions at all.

C) I try not to collect codex. i know that i will be forced to collect some much later but i try to avoid it as much as i can.

D) i turn off the HUD element called SSI. makes understanding of enemies harder.

E) and the thing that made my game the hardest is an exercise in self control -
once my health reaches 0 i leave the keyboard and mouse completely. it usually takes a few more seconds for the last few extra blows to kill me but they usually come before my health regenerates to 1. if it does before i get killed - i put my hands on the keyboard again.

I can play forever with 1 health diamond if i really try. it's ridiculously easy. but if i pretend that i die once my health reaches 0 than the game becomes harder.

worth a shot.

gwklam
03-22-2010, 07:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adarwinter:

A) i didnt upgrade for better armor. if u DID buy better armor and can't remove it - dont repair it. yeah, u will have some red squares. what can u do?

C) I try not to collect codex. i know that i will be forced to collect some much later but i try to avoid it as much as i can.

D) i turn off the HUD element called SSI. makes understanding of enemies harder.

once my health reaches 0 i leave the keyboard and mouse completely. it usually takes a few more seconds for the last few extra blows to kill me but they usually come before my health regenerates to 1. if it does before i get killed - i put my hands on the keyboard again.

I can play forever with 1 health diamond if i really try. it's ridiculously easy. but if i pretend that i die once my health reaches 0 than the game becomes harder.

worth a shot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

actually, you have to collect all the codex...or you cant progress to the main event

adarwinter
03-23-2010, 05:41 PM

worth a shot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

actually, you have to collect all the codex...or you cant progress to the main event </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

all of them? yaiks :P i avoided them like from fire. he he.

well at least i can use this tool here to somehow balance this out http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...621035448#3621035448 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=5251069024&m=3621035448&r=3621035448#3621035448)

obliviondoll
03-24-2010, 07:59 AM
Well, I agree the game is too easy. I made most of the suggestions I'm putting here in threads pre-AC2. Apparently my ideas weren't implemented.

Anyone else notice there's about a 60 degree arc behind Ezio in which enemies can land hits even when you block? You can block anyway by moving toward them though. I know it happens on PS3, unsure about others. Also, if you're not blocking when they hit from in front, it does minor damage and there's the sword-clash animation which can lead into a combo (only the AI never does), but if you're off-guard or hit from behind, it hurts a little more.

They sounded like they had the right idea with the AI archetypes (Brute, Agile, Seeker), except the combat AI for all of them was hopeless.

AI for Agiles I thought was fine, I think they keep up pretty well, personally, and they're not meant to fight well. Could do with more defensive behaviour, trying to stall while others catch up, maybe tweak them to prefer backstabs? Particularly appropriate for knife-fighters...

Weak regular guards should work more like they did in AC1. Instant-killed by counter or combo, can block and occasionally deflect attacks without taking damage, but only use normal attacks and dodges.

Armoured regular guards should be slightly better fighters too, able to counter ocasionally, and make follow-up attacks after dodging.

The "seeker" AI which searches hiding spots should be used for armoured guards with swords as well as those with polearms. When tripped by a spear shaft, guards should sometimes make attacks while you're down, and if your health is low, you should be vulnerable to a quick kill. And don't let counterattacks be made by a dagger against a polearm, but if you're close enough, have sword counters as an option (and guards can do it to you too).

Brutes should need to be hurt at least a little before you can disarm them, and their knockdown attack should do damage. Also, they should be more likely to use their knockdown and disarm attacks than the current AI. Either prevent Ezio from dodging while carrying heavy weapons, or make Brutes able to do so as well. And let them use counter/combo attacks. Finally, boost their damage. Actually, do this for everyone, but moreso for Brutes.

There should be an "elite guard" AI type as well, like the AC1 Templars were meant to be, who can use every combat technique in the game, and who react to your combat style. If you block and counter too much, they'll become more likely to use guard-breaks. These guards should be able to identify you faster than others (but not instantly), and carry a sword and a randomised second weapon. If the weapon is a knife, they'll rely on the sword unless disarmed, otherwise they'll save the sword as backup.

And simultaneous attacks should remain a rarity. But backstab attempts should happen intermittently, with a slight increase in their use when the attacker has a knife.