PDA

View Full Version : mistakes made throughout the entire AC series

TR3LON1ST
12-09-2010, 02:11 AM
Hey everyone,

let me start by telling you that I'm a huge fan of the Assassin's Creed series. I have bought every sequel and even got that very well made special edition box, that came with AC:Brotherhood.

There is a thing with almost perfect games. If a game isn't good at all, a little adjusting won't do the job. But AC is almost perfect which makes the few little things that were neglected so incredibly crucial.

1. sequences cannot be interrupted
I really don't have a problem being lead through a story, rather than skipping cut scene by cut scene. But there are two main parts of the game, where not being able to interrupt the sometimes very long cut scenes becomes a huge pain.
First, people don't always succeed on their first try. So every time you fail at an important part that was introduced by a cut scene, you are forced to watch it over and over and over again.
Then there is the "re-experiencing" of past memories. I have already finished the game, but I want to get all the trophies. So I end up losing so much time just because I can't skip the cut scenes I have already seen at least once.

2. missteps
It happens quite often and it is really annoying. Even though I have a certain routine with the controls from time to time the character ends up jumping away from the building or misses the scaffold by a quarter of an inch. Which brings me back to my first point.
Among those missteps are also unnecessairy long falling animations that are triggered when running into two pedestrians in a row. It happens a lot, considering the entire game consists of running through crowded cities. Which brings me to my third point:

3. animations
In order to run the fastest possible, you tend to let the character sprint as often as you can. That usually leads to him jumping up walls he wasn't supposed to or even jumping off a cliff. Because the button combination used for sprinting is the same used for starting to climb up things.

4. jumping up a wall
At a certain point in AC2 and from the beginning of AC:Brotherhood you are able to perform a certain kind of jump. It was introduced in order to reach higher located position on a wall or tower or whatever. The character hangs on a wall and jumps up the wall reaching wildely for a spot to hold on to. Now comes the problem: The button you need to push in order for him to hold on to that spot is the same button you push when you want him to let go of the wall. So in more than one occasion you find yourself "delibaretly" falling off a wall. Which again brings me to point 1.

Does anyone else experience these things or am I the only one?
As I said at the beginning: it is way easier to spot ugly spots on an otherwise wonderful painting.
So, with the third try, why not get rid of those spots and make it a perfect thing?!

Thanks

RzaRecta357
12-09-2010, 02:18 AM
It's just you.

Most people probably have trouble when they start.

The people like me whom have played this since AC1 can make like precision jumps directly where they want to go.

Im quite the master and I make sure to make it look EXTRA cool when my friends watch haha.

davo1270
12-09-2010, 02:21 AM
#4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RzaRecta357
12-09-2010, 02:26 AM
Oh and BTW. In ACB you can skip cutscenes by pressing start and hitting Skip Cinematic.

TR3LON1ST
12-09-2010, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by RzaRecta357:
Oh and BTW. In ACB you can skip cutscenes by pressing start and hitting Skip Cinematic.

Hmm true. Didn't know that.
Thanks anyway.

But in order to maintain my criticizing position: a small "Start-Button" sign in the bottom right corner would have sufficed. In the end there are over a houndred sequences to be manually canceled

LightRey
12-09-2010, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by Trelonist:
Hey everyone,

let me start by telling you that I'm a huge fan of the Assassin's Creed series. I have bought every sequel and even got that very well made special edition box, that came with AC:Brotherhood.

There is a thing with almost perfect games. If a game isn't good at all, a little adjusting won't do the job. But AC is almost perfect which makes the few little things that were neglected so incredibly crucial.

1. sequences cannot be interrupted
I really don't have a problem being lead through a story, rather than skipping cut scene by cut scene. But there are two main parts of the game, where not being able to interrupt the sometimes very long cut scenes becomes a huge pain.
First, people don't always succeed on their first try. So every time you fail at an important part that was introduced by a cut scene, you are forced to watch it over and over and over again.
Then there is the "re-experiencing" of past memories. I have already finished the game, but I want to get all the trophies. So I end up losing so much time just because I can't skip the cut scenes I have already seen at least once.

2. missteps
It happens quite often and it is really annoying. Even though I have a certain routine with the controls from time to time the character ends up jumping away from the building or misses the scaffold by a quarter of an inch. Which brings me back to my first point.
Among those missteps are also unnecessairy long falling animations that are triggered when running into two pedestrians in a row. It happens a lot, considering the entire game consists of running through crowded cities. Which brings me to my third point:

3. animations
In order to run the fastest possible, you tend to let the character sprint as often as you can. That usually leads to him jumping up walls he wasn't supposed to or even jumping off a cliff. Because the button combination used for sprinting is the same used for starting to climb up things.

4. jumping up a wall
At a certain point in AC2 and from the beginning of AC:Brotherhood you are able to perform a certain kind of jump. It was introduced in order to reach higher located position on a wall or tower or whatever. The character hangs on a wall and jumps up the wall reaching wildely for a spot to hold on to. Now comes the problem: The button you need to push in order for him to hold on to that spot is the same button you push when you want him to let go of the wall. So in more than one occasion you find yourself "delibaretly" falling off a wall. Which again brings me to point 1.

Does anyone else experience these things or am I the only one?
As I said at the beginning: it is way easier to spot ugly spots on an otherwise wonderful painting.
So, with the third try, why not get rid of those spots and make it a perfect thing?!

Thanks
Cool story bro.

Mr_Shade
12-10-2010, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by LightRey:

Cool story bro.

Just so you know...

Posting any Internet meme - is considered spam.

If you have nothing to add to a discussion - I suggest you don't post http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Ru1986
12-10-2010, 04:15 AM
It's just you.

The people like me whom have played this since AC1 can make like precision jumps directly where they want to go.

Im quite the master and I make sure to make it look EXTRA cool when my friends watch haha.

Agreed since AC1 i can precission my jumps perfectly and work out maps in a matter of mins. I almost never fall of building loosing half my health like i did in the first game.

obliviondoll
12-10-2010, 04:59 AM
For #4 - don't press grab until you've reached the peak of your jump.

That way you won't be pressing it when he doesn't jump (usually there's a reason he doesn't). Saves a lot of problems.

utriej
12-10-2010, 10:00 AM
While I'll agree with the OP to a certain extent, these are all minute problems. Whenever I restart playing an AC game I have a few hiccups with climbing, etc to start. After getting into the game again those missteps are rare for me unless I'm just not paying enough attention to what I'm doing.
Have to be carefull spamming that drop/grab button when falling too.
Just a suggestion, but try the virtual training for a few hours to hone those skills. If you want those gold medals you got to be near perfect.

ViNyLek
12-10-2010, 10:50 AM
#1 You can skip cut scenes and I like it that you have confirm if you want to skip. If it was one press I could skip some of them just by accident, like I did in few instances in other games.

#2 It's all aboue being precise. If you are rushing, you will make mistakes. did you want Ezio to stick to and auto aim for every single ledge? It IS as good as it gets (because nothing is perfect!)

#3 Only point I agree with. It does bother me that it is assigned to the same button. Devs do it more and more often because they are trying to make complex moves simple. Look at Gears. You do everything with A - from sprinting, rolling, taking cover to ****ing and taking a dump (exagerating obviously)

#4 Again, what more do you need? Unless you keep pressing B like a mad man trying to grb for your life, you risk falling down. This move is all about precision and timing it perfectly will net you higher ledge. It's simple and it's working.

In short if it's not broken, leave it.

zGift
12-10-2010, 11:12 AM
#1 Already been stated that you can skip cutscenes in AC:B, which compliments the replay memory feature nicely.

#2 I feel you here. I call such occurrences 'Command Conflicts'. When I want Ezio to do this or that but he does something else. I feel it often has to do with the camera changing that throws me off sometimes when it auto adjusts during one of my free run climbing sequences and I jump to a suicide. D: However, there's a unlock camera or something option in the options menu I've been wanting to try to see if it helps. AC:B seemed to reduce the occurrences I had command conflicts though. It's improved with every new instalment I feel.

#3 This also, takes a little practice. Do the Virtual Training in AC:B, during the Free Run Tut, it teaches you how to run and drop off the edge of a ledge/roof/etc without jumping. Just let go of X when you approach the edge, keep holding R1 and if it's not too high, he'll run and hop down on his own.

#4 The jumping and hitting O to grab takes a little timing and practice. But after the first 20 or so uses I got the hang of it and have no trouble with it. I don't mash the button wildly either, I use timing.

Only #2 is any real complaint. Just regular playing and experience you'll easily get used to the Grab, running off edges while running, etc.

extrememuffin
12-10-2010, 11:38 AM
the only thing i have had problem with is when free running on roofs ill try to do the thing where you release x right before he reaches the edge so that he will hop off and keep going. i never knew how to do this until virtul training and when i did learn i tried it out in rome but it doesnt seem to work the same as in training. lots of the time Ezio will be running and ill release x then he will make it to the ledge stop look down then turn around and flip me off, or hop off turn around and grab onto the ledge so that i must press o for him to drop down.

zGift
12-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Yeah, I think there might be a height requirement for him to do it. Despite being able to fall from higher distances than he's willing to hop off a roof and survive or even take damage.

Nuadin
12-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Never had a problem with the controls till this newest one so I can't say Yay or Nay on that one. The first one the controls were decent... not the best but they were easy to control. The second one the controls were amazing, way better then the previous one. This new one though the controls have been somewhat lacking in the parkour area.

The controls to combat are amazing except for the fact when you are fighting the boss in this one the target unlocks after every jab you make with your hidden weapon, which was annoying and made little sense tome. And was it just me or was it a tad more difficult to tell when you are locked on a combat are not? Because it highlights them either way, I ended up using the health dots to recognize it and that became easier but it was hard breaking off from old ways... Other then that killing was amazing...and who didn't like killing 50+ soldies in one combo? The Combo was the best thing they invented in my book, though we need more cannon fodder knights (Such as when the french were attacking the barracks, now that as a fun fight.)

One of the annoying things that kept happening to me in the new game, and hey maybe this is just me. But I'd lean over a ceiling and look down at my target. He'd be targeted with left trigger and I would hit the Assassinate button. He'd jump down... with the animation of an assassination but right when he got close to the bottom he'd just fall. Was I doing something wrong? :\ ... Never clicked anything after that. There were other annoyances I disliked but this one is my main concern. My other ones were how you had to intentionally pause sometimes for Ezio to register your new direction. I preferred it in AC2 where everything was more fluid and when you turn your joystick it registers without having to pause :\ ...

Edit:

Oh about skipping cutscenes, It's true you can but the loading time sometimes takes almost as long as the actual scene. I ended up giving up and jet letting it run through those short ones but used it for those rare long ones. Also, you can't skip every cutscene, it won't let you but that's generally but I'm guessing that is due to the length of the cutscene.

LaCava1
12-10-2010, 05:44 PM
It's just you.

You think you're the master? AC1, then AC2, then AC: B parkour-off is now initiated! Get ready. (I'm joking, of course. But they should add a multiplayer race mode in Brotherhood)