PDA

View Full Version : Drunk Wing

hening_880Sqn
02-01-2007, 08:02 AM
Coming home after a long off line mission, line up my landing and am just ready to touch down when my wingman tries to fly under me and we both crash into flames. Or...he sees that he can't get under me, pulls up and crashed into my six.

I have started to tell him to break or sent the flight to home base just for a chance to land a mission

Is anyone else getting this with 1946 and offline campaigns?

p-11.cAce
02-01-2007, 08:06 AM
I always instruct my flight to break before landing so they don't try to follow me in...otherwise they do just what you experienced. The AI....well...not so smart http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

FlatSpinMan
02-01-2007, 08:11 AM
If you are flight leader always tell them to Return to base. Then it doesn't happen.

p-11.cAce
02-01-2007, 08:18 AM
FlatSpin what causes the pattern crashes when you land out of sequence? For example there are a number of missions I fly from the UQMG, and some of my own from the FMB, where I am #3 or #4 in a flight and if I land ahead of others in the group they start screaming over the radio that they are hit and go down in flames http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif Is this just latent battle damage that has "caught up with them"? I don't think they have all taken hits when this occurs..and it is different behavior than when map issues cause them to fly into mountains. Thoughts?

FlatSpinMan
02-01-2007, 08:36 AM
I don't know. To be honest I am pretty self absorbed when it comes to landing. Get myself down, make sure no clowns are about to take me out from underneath, land (more or less intact) then hit End. I have no idea what the AI does when they land. All those crashes - I always just put it down to AI weirdness like flying into terrain, each other.

Breeze147
02-01-2007, 08:38 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gifI've seen those dodo's crash into each on the break turn.

WB_Outlaw
02-01-2007, 11:03 AM
FlatSpin is right, issuing the "Return to Base" command COMPLETELY SOLVES the problem of the AI trying to follow you down.

The AI screaming about being hit/taking damage are sometimes out of place. I have noticed that when their engine finally quits after being damaged or when they run out of fuel due to a leak they will sometimes call that they are taking hits. I think they will also do it if they ditch badly and take additional damage.

--Outlaw.

hening_880Sqn
02-01-2007, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

I guess killing them all before landing is another option? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

It's great when they hit into you and start screaming that you are shooting at a friendly. Meanwhile mission stats and all that time go out the window.

<S>

p-11.cAce
02-01-2007, 11:23 AM
The AI screaming about being hit/taking damage are sometimes out of place. I have noticed that when their engine finally quits after being damaged or when they run out of fuel due to a leak they will sometimes call that they are taking hits.
Thanks for the feedback on that - many times I've been in the pattern and freaked out when the AI start screaming they are taking hits and I know there are no enemies about. Then I exit and go through the FMB to make sure i've not set an AA to the wrong color...then I jsut chalk it up to some weird code error. Nice to know its just one of those AI traits. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

LT.INSTG8R
02-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Hah I found a way to destroy my whole group during one of the newer campaigns. I issued them a Change Formation order to Finger Four, they ALL proceeded to crash into each other in a ball of flames, I was pretty lonely....but it was humourous none the less

tomtheyak
02-01-2007, 06:18 PM
Theres one flaw in the 'order them to return to base' tack, which works fine if your leader, don't get me wrong.

However...

If you are no. 2 in the formation and your leader gets his insurance early, you are suddenly now lead.

"Wow, great!" I hear you cry! "Promotion on the field of battle! We get to command a fighter unit!"

Alas, my friends, you do not, for, despite your sudden elevation to the dizzying responsibilities of military command, the order command menu still wont let you command the flight!

Thus, when you attempt to land, particularly when you RTB without following the waypoints, your surprisingly dedicated (and definitely overzealous) wingmen decide they need to follow you onto the deck, tho their approach methods* leave a bit to be desired.

Fly autopilot is the only way to guarantee that this doesn't happen. Same with getting bombers (particularly level but also fighter bombers) to attack their assigned targets.

*AI SOP in this situation is approach to be made near vertical, preferably at 400+ mph IAS.

Tater-SW-
02-01-2007, 09:28 PM
I don't remember them all now, but at some point I tested every single formation change for small fghters, large fighter (P-38s), and bombers. There were several formation changes that always resulted in crashes. I mailed this as a bug report. It was found not to be a problem worth fixing. The solution? Don't order certain formation changes, EVER. Yeesh.

tater