PDA

View Full Version : Tempest gunnery tips?

Noxx0s
05-03-2011, 06:04 AM
Alright so I love this plane but it shakes like a mofo when shooting... any tips to counter this? Rudder left?

Metatron_123
05-03-2011, 08:59 AM
Keep fast, don't turn fight at low speeds if possible, the Tempest isn't very happy at lower speeds, I reckon this should help your stability issues.

TipsyTed
05-03-2011, 10:31 AM
What Metatron said. Fly as fast and as smooth as you can and only shoot at the things that happen to find themselves infront of you. You can rise the probability of such an event through your flying, but it must still be smooth and fast.

dirkpit7
05-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Fire only short, well-aimed bursts. With the kind of armament Tempest has you don't need to fire for more than one second at a time, if even that, to deliver enough damage. Provided that you hit the target of course.

Also, echoing what was said above, try to attack at high speed. The excellent gunsight visibility makes diving attacks from above easy.

ROXunreal
05-03-2011, 12:21 PM
One of, if not the worst performing fighter under 300-350km/h. Stay fast.

TipsyTed
05-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Another tip - Tempest has a truckload of ammo (800 shells) and a vierling of best 20mm in the sim, so you can try taking difficult shots with lower probability of hitting, but flying smoother and faster in return.

Spit, for example, carries 3 times less cannon ammo overall and half the cannons.

VW-IceFire
05-03-2011, 04:25 PM
You know I've never found the Tempest to be especially difficult at gunnery. It does not favour long bursts which may be the problem here.

What others have said hold very true. The Tempest is meant to be a mean and fast fighter so always keep the speed up and attack with speed advantage. If you find yourself in a turn fight you've probably done something wrong. At high speeds the Tempest is more responsive than most other fighters so keep it there. Fire bursts at the target and practice your gunnery so that the first shots count.

This is all made easier by the fact that the Tempest has the gunsight projected directly onto the canopy and the pilot sits high up from the fuselage. So the visibility is superb which makes gunnery all that much better.

AndyJWest
05-03-2011, 07:42 PM
I've not actually done a test (though it shouldn't be too difficult with my AP setup), but I'm fairly sure that bomb/rocket racks have a marked effect on performance. If you're set up for ground attack, don't tangle with the enemy unless you have a real advantage.

pupo162
05-04-2011, 03:48 AM
Well, unnlike some here, the tempest is by far my favorite gunning plataform, and the one where i achive best results.

For this beast i recommend a 200-250 meter convergence. On this plane viewing is different from other planes, you have mroe visibility, and the gunsight looks smaller. I can easely aim from 200-300 meters, whilst at around 100-200 it gets more tricky.

Long range burst, 1-2 seconds, considerable deflection, easy kills.

i have no issues doing stall fighting in this plane either, but as a last resource offcourse.

TipsyTed
05-04-2011, 05:17 AM
Has anyone tested whether drop tanks on Tempest cause any performance loss after they've been ditched?

dirkpit7
05-04-2011, 07:24 AM
Long range burst, 1-2 seconds, considerable deflection, easy kills.

Yeah I agree with this. Approach the enemy from an angle, shoot with lots of deflection and let the enemy fly through the bullet stream. You can use long bursts, but for stability make sure you have speed and keep the controls steady. Never turn while firing (this goes for any plane and situation).

The Tempest is certainly one of the best and most effective gun platforms in the sim. For a cannon-armed plane it's not particularly unstable, much less so than the Spit for example.

Choctaw111
05-04-2011, 08:13 AM
The Tempest isn't much of a turn fighter but does fairly well with boom and zoom.
For some reason I was always more accurate with the Tempest than any other plane.

deskpilot
05-04-2011, 10:47 AM
never had any gunnery problems with the tempest of the kind you describe. always found the p 51 much more of a shaker when firing. The tempest is one of my all time faves. As others have said, stay fast smooth and a tiny burst with those cannons will take a big bird down. Enjoy!

TS_Sancho
05-05-2011, 04:45 AM
I like the Tempest, I find that both the Tempest and the FW190D-9 are two of the easiest mounts to switch between as they share many similar flight characteristics so if you are already familiar with the FW you should have a good starting point (biggest discrepancy seems to be ballistics from my viewpoint)

My experience is the Tempest is one of the more stable gun platforms in the game. Without watching a track I would guess you may be having problems brought on by firing excessive long bursts at low airspeeds during uncoordinated maneuvers.

Tempest is actually very maneuverable, like the FW190 or P-51 it does everything fast.

When flown at its proper design speeds it will eagerly respond to control inputs at speeds well past where a BF109's controls are stiff and useless, it handily out climbs the Spit25 past 230 knts and beats the Yak3 in both turn rate and radius over 230knts/430 kmh.

Make sure to trim your rudder so the turn and bank indicator shows no slip or skid, make sure to stay a step ahead of your elevator trim as well. Set your throttle to +2 lbs and your prop rpm to 3000, radiator flaps closed. At those settings your engine will stay below the overheat warning and you'll burn fewer gallons per hour but your still within a few percent of max performance output (less wep of course).

A further word to the wise, If your often finding yourself in situations which require full boost with wep and max prop rpm's you need to rethink your tactical doctrine

The visibility around the reflector sight is as good any in the game although I would disagree with freely expending your ammunition stores.

The Tempest gives you 200 rds per gun with a total trigger time of 16 seconds, marginally more than the SpitIXE's 140 rds and 12 second trigger time but not in the league of the 250 rpg and 21 second trigger time of the Dora's MG151/20's (not to mention the cowl mounted MG131's 54 seconds of continuous 13 mm fire.)

The 4 Hispanos in the Tempest wing hitting at convergence are brutal, a quick squeeze at the right distance will reap instant kills against even the most heavily armored opponents. The Tempest gunsight is calibrated so that it brackets a FW190's wingspan at 200 meters, personally I set convergence to 150 meters which gives an effective cone of fire from 100 to 200 meters and am very happy with the results.

These are my thoughts and experiences with the Tempest, I hope some part may be of help. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Ba5tard5word
05-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Never had a problem with it, it doesn't seem wobbly at all to me, especially compared to planes like the P-51, P-47, and Corsair.

Definitely one of my favorite planes in Il-2. Really high top speed but it's very slow to accelerate so you can't really do a lot of maneuvering or your enemy will get all over your tail. Fly it like a Fw-190, keep your nose down and fly straight and boom n zoom, don't try turn battles, just try and swoop in on targets, get a short burst in, then keep your nose down and fly off then come back for more.

Woke_Up_Dead
05-05-2011, 12:26 PM
How well does the Tempest turn against planes that can catch it, like the 190, P-38, or Mustang?

dirkpit7
05-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Better than any of those I'd say.

Actually I think the Tempest is relatively forgiving at low speeds, compared to other "heavyweight" fighters.

ROXunreal
05-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by TS_Sancho:
I like the Tempest, I find that both the Tempest and the FW190D-9 are two of the easiest mounts to switch between as they share many similar flight characteristics so if you are already familiar with the FW you should have a good starting point (biggest discrepancy seems to be ballistics from my viewpoint)

Low speed handling is a major difference IMO, much better on a Dora than a Tempest, tempests tend to stall/spin easier and take longer to recover. Hanging on the prop in the Tempest - big no no, while I've had much success with the same tactic in a Dora when things would get tight/someone would pursue me out of gun range. They just feel much heavier and bulkier than a 190 under 400km/g, and stall out easier in vertical maneuvers. Granted, you don't want to be slow with a Tempest in combat, but just sayin'.

At high speeds they're both quite evenly matched. I think a Tempest will slightly outrun a Dora in level flights, though a Dora will lose a bit less energy in vertical maneuvers/energy fighting. At least in my experience.

I also find shooting with a Dora easier, the rate of fire is much better which makes stuff easier to hit, though the Tempest's hispanos are clearly much more damaging if you nail them on target.

JG53Frankyboy
05-09-2011, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by TipsyTed:
Has anyone tested whether drop tanks on Tempest cause any performance loss after they've been ditched?

the Tempest is loosing around 30km/h of ots topspeed with emtpy Bomb/Rocket racks.

this amount is about a 'standard' (most propably there are exceptions !) in IL2 for empty WING racks....even for the P-51's fueltanks racks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif