PDA

View Full Version : Very Good Book

jeffmorgan_947
07-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Hi. Thought I would share this with you,I recently bought a very interesting book while in the UK.

Title- "Empire of the Clouds" [When Britain's aircraft ruled the World] by James Hamilton-Paterson.

It discribes the period between 1945 and the early 60's, and the British development and testing of jet engine and fighter and bomber designe. All this tried and tested technology eventually being given to the Americans?

And the case of the same British [ Labour ] Goverment instructing Rolls Royce to sell the Russians a batch of Derwent and Neme jet engines.The Neme engine after some minor modifications being mass produced and becoming the power plant for the Mig 15, which could have hardly endeared Rolls Royce to American pilots over Korea.

This was also an era when test pilots where as revered then as football and movie stars are today. for those of you who are interested I recommend this excellent book. Cheers. JM.

note. The story goes- That the Russians aquired the sale of the Neme engine after a bet involving the outcome of a game of billiards with their British counterparts ??? Enjoy.

DD_crash
07-05-2011, 03:06 AM
Just finished this myself and agree it is an excellent book. Well worth buying, Wifey bought it cheap in Tesco or Smiths for 4 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

danjama
07-05-2011, 08:11 PM
Is this the one where during the introduction the author talks about being at Farnborough in the late 40's (or is it early 50's).

DD_crash
07-06-2011, 02:16 AM
Yes thats the one. Early/mid 50s. Must have been something to see http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ytareh
07-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Santa brought me this this year .BRILLIANT read!

danjama
07-11-2011, 06:03 AM
I intend to read it.

Also probably going to read 'Lightning Boys'.

danjama
07-15-2011, 04:16 PM
AND ON THAT BOMBSHELL

If you're fortunate enough to live near a THE WORKS, they are selling the book in hardback for 3.99.

Snapped it up today - how can you not?