PDA

View Full Version : Crazy film makers!

JSG72
09-03-2005, 02:11 PM
Caught part of a film, a couple of years ago.
Which absolutely flabbergasted me.
There were flights of spitfires in Luftwaffe markings and Messrschmitt 109s in British Liveries.
Didn't catch the name of the film.
Sure it starred George Peppard and maybe Sophia Loren?
These planes were real aircraft. Not models
There must have been some Almighty arguments On Set. During Painting/Flying/Continuity.
Don't think I was actually listening to script. But? Was this meant?
What was name of film?
Surely down as one of Cinemas Great http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gifHowlers?

danjama
09-03-2005, 02:23 PM
hollywood http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

megalagon
09-03-2005, 02:27 PM
Would it happen to be: Operation Crossbow (1965)

Here's the link that I found, hope this helps.
<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0059549/ </pre>

berg417448
09-03-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by JSG72:
Caught part of a film, a couple of years ago.
Which absolutely flabbergasted me.
There were flights of spitfires in Luftwaffe markings and Messrschmitt 109s in British Liveries.
Didn't catch the name of the film.
Sure it starred George Peppard and maybe Sophia Loren?
These planes were real aircraft. Not models
There must have been some Almighty arguments On Set. During Painting/Flying/Continuity.
Don't think I was actually listening to script. But? Was this meant?
What was name of film?
Surely down as one of Cinemas Great http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gifHowlers?

They were both in a movie called OPERATION CROSSBOW. Is that the one?

JSG72
09-03-2005, 02:44 PM
Good Greif!
Cannot beleive from the review. That someone was niggling about the fact the German flags in certain scenes were different.
Holy Moly! Couldn't they see the Luftwaffe, flying spitfires. And the pristine line up of 109s in RAF service!
The planes in the film had(or were to be used) in "THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN" Epic.
Thankyou megalagon. for the info.
"Operation Crossbow"
You Know I believe that title does remind me of a "Classic"
OH Dear!

megalagon
09-03-2005, 02:54 PM
I havn't see it. Should I or should I pass this one up?

JSG72
09-03-2005, 03:07 PM
To be Sure.
I think I will have to establish if this is really the Film I am referring to.
Surely someone in the community can shed more light.
Think the storyline was about two or three guys reminiscing about their wartime exploits.
Whilst. The common theme was that they had all feel in love with the same woman!

p1ngu666
09-03-2005, 03:38 PM
hm
would teh lufties fly 109s wid roundals, or spits with crosses? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

PBNA-Boosher
09-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Insane, what idiot did the research for that film?

JSG72
09-23-2006, 12:28 PM
It has been some time now.
But Operation Crossbow is on UK TV at the momment.
I cannot see this being the Film I was refering to Over a year ago.
Actually looks pretty good!
The search continues....

JSG72
09-23-2006, 12:58 PM
Could the film I am talking about have been Buena Seras Mrs Cambell?

Starring Telly Savales and Gina Lolibridgida.

Anyone help?

joeap
09-23-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by JSG72:
To be Sure.
Think the storyline was about two or three guys reminiscing about their wartime exploits.
Whilst. The common theme was that they had all feel in love with the same woman!

Good lord, no. Saw the film (Operation Crossbow) on TV a while ago. Not a great film, but none of the huge howlers you talk about. It was about the German development of V-1s, V-2s and a supposed "New York Rocket" and the Allied effort to stop it. Sending agents (George Peppard who took the identity of an deceased Dutch engineer married to Sophia Loren) to the factory to sabotage it. Some not bad flight scenes, some with Hanna Reitsch and a mix of fact and fiction. Entertaining anyway.

Warrington_Wolf
09-23-2006, 02:06 PM
Sounds like you stumbled on the extended version of Battle of Britain with the alternate ending. This version was directed by Michael Bay and it involves Adolf Galland getting his wish for a squadron of Spitfires.

JSG72
09-23-2006, 02:31 PM
Seriously!
I deffo seen a film with the Spits in Luft markings and the 109s(HA-1112s) in RAF.
I have been a Luftwaffe/ German Army fan forover 40yrs now and this kind of Thing Blatently stands out

These were the same, Real planes that Took part in the BOB film. Think the Heinkels were in there as well (In Luft markings).
Anyone seen "Buena Seras Mrs Cambell"
I seem to remember scenes at an outdoor Cafe On what was probably the Italian Riviera.
The one thing about this film as I can gather is. It is about GIs and not BOB flyers?

WTE_Googly
09-23-2006, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by joeap:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JSG72:
To be Sure.

Good lord, no. Saw the film (Operation Crossbow) on TV a while ago. Not a great film, but none of the huge howlers you talk about. It was about the German development of V-1s, V-2s and a supposed "New York Rocket" and the Allied effort to stop it. Sending agents (George Peppard who took the identity of an deceased Dutch engineer married to Sophia Loren) to the factory to sabotage it. Some not bad flight scenes, some with Hanna Reitsch and a mix of fact and fiction. Entertaining anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was that the movie that had that bloke who played Chief Warden Hodges in Dad's Army as the nasty gestapo man? I think I remember it...