PDA

View Full Version : Swagger Sounds

BillSwagger
07-11-2009, 06:52 PM
I'm learning to use Virtual Dub, and i added my own sounds to a video clip.

Actually, more like i added a video clip to my sounds. I made a pretty cool sound bite and added a simular video track from the game.
I cant speak much for the video, but listen to the audio and actual 50 cal gun bursts.

Its from the perspective of a tail gunner as a 109 makes a pass.

You can watch the video, or listen and close your eyes and put yourself in that seat.

http://www.vimeo.com/5556449

Choctaw111
07-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Not too bad. Is this your first attempt?
Are you planning to do more in the future?

danjama
07-11-2009, 07:52 PM
I liked the breathing, the guns seemed a *bit* loud, not much just a little. How long did it take you?

I'm trying to learn VDub, but i'm useless.

BillSwagger
07-11-2009, 08:16 PM
This is my first attempt at transferring the data and using Virtual Dub. The video i have is much better, but it would take over an hour to upload 30 seconds of video, so i shrunk it down. I was mainly highlighting the sound anyway.

I would like to do much more, i have a sound library that i havent even scratched the surface with.

I'd like to piece something together, maybe a 3-5 minute short, but for now, im just seeing what i can do with VDub, and my current audio set up.

BillSwagger
07-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by danjama:
I liked the breathing, the guns seemed a *bit* loud, not much just a little. How long did it take you?

I'm trying to learn VDub, but i'm useless.

Over all it probably took me about 20 or 30 minutes, but that is spread out over a couple days. Once i engineer something, i give it a rest, and then return to it with a fresh ear.
I actually added the breathing later in the process, more as a filler, but then i tried to think about how a gunner is probably feeling in that situation. Somewhat panicked, yet concentrated. I hoped to capture the effect of him holding his breath as he aims and shoots.
Sometimes i do that when i play online. =)

The sound is a bit quiet online, so i think the guns have more punch than the raw data i have here. Listening to it again though, its tough to not pick it apart and want to adjust or add something.

Thats just one sequence,

I figure another perspective could be done from the 109 making the pass.
or even another gunner...or another plane.
The options are really endless with this game, so its really neat to be able to play around with it.

thanks for your interest.

I could tell you more about Vdub, once i get more familiar with it.
SuperC is another free program i use for converting video. That was tricky at first too.

deepo_HP
07-12-2009, 03:58 AM
hi billswagger,

virtualdub is a most excellent video-editor, but won't allow non-linear editing. i use it for compressing and final production - where it is great!

if you need to add sounds, music and effects, possibly in several tracks and also maybe have to synchronise, you might look for a non-linear editor.
sadly enough, not many are free.

there was a free version of 'avid xpress' once, called 'avidfreedv'. it was slightly restricted in minor matters, but else it offered the whole spectrum of professional editing. which includes the need to learn it (and it is not easy with avid, they have some unusual features).

some audio-editors allow to put the final video-edit in omne track, and then add several audio-tracks for mixing and synchronising. that way a finalised video can be put in and then concentrate on audio (only needs a large, low-compressed video, as it has to be compressed again for the mix). maybe the free 'audacity' got such features.

some more points of interest might be in the 'movie maker'-forum, sticky section.

haven't had time to watch your video, but will do soon.
however, it is very worth to experiment with audio/video, creativity is unlimited.