PDA

View Full Version : Control Cables Shot Up Please Change It!

Flydutch
03-30-2005, 06:23 AM
After Fliyng So many Campaigns the Things frustrating and Boring me most Is 'Elevator Control Damaged' After the First Hit AI AA or Fighter A/C score on the player. Elevator Control Out Forces you to refly the mission unless you bail out Over Friendly Teritory maybe.
These Contols cables Beeing shot up Happen way to Much!
How can you Hit A Cable anyway?

VW-IceFire
03-30-2005, 06:47 AM
Big cable + explosive cannon shells throwing little bits of shrapnel everywhere = snapped control cables.

Doesn't happen all that often to me. The worst aircraft to be hit with AAA and loose control cables are the Yak's.

carguy_
03-30-2005, 07:06 AM
Oleg said that control cables damage started appearing way more often with the reease of AEP.It`s purose was to put some press on the reality.Normally the vast majority of planes were shot down not by losing a wing or blowing up but either because the pilot got shot up,the engine started smoking or the plane wasn`t controllable.

In the game before players bailed only when the plane lost an big element of a structure so smoke or glicol or major pilot damage didn`t give a kill.Even if damaged control cables happens way too often it actually gives good results.You can`t be suffocated in your canopy from the smoke,the cables will make you bail anyway.

Very good of a compromise IMO.

73GIAP_Milan
03-30-2005, 07:31 AM
Would this apply to the Fw190 series too??
as my books state it had controlrods instead of cables..

WB_Outlaw
03-30-2005, 05:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
Big cable + explosive cannon shells... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just FYI, the control cables on the Texas Raider (B-17G) are no more than 1/8" diameter.

I hate the total loss of control also. IMHO it would much more realistic to make the aircraft difficult (up to and including impossible) to control. Then we wouldn't have to see the "control cables" message. Talk about super intelligence gathering.

-Outlaw.

p1ngu666
03-30-2005, 05:57 PM
the il2 is using giant sheets of insta break toliet paper (wet already, ofcouse) because i dont think anything loses cables as easy http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

190 has rods, but u could still damage them i guess

3.JG51_BigBear
03-30-2005, 06:10 PM
I think that losing control cables might be a compromise for not being able to model other types of damage that wouldn't result in massive structural failures. Just a theory. If that's not the case I think the control failures happen way to often. I don't know about fighters, but in stories of bombers I've read losing control, they don't seem to usually lose the entire system. They might retain control over one aileron or elevator, or maybe they can move the rudder to the left and not the right.

p1ngu666
03-30-2005, 06:14 PM
or they can use trim tabs.

with something like a il2, saying fly not to get hit doesnt really apply, theres only so much u can do..

Flydutch
04-02-2005, 07:04 AM
10 out of 9 times you read how A enemy Aircaft beeing fired at would start burning and often explode in the discription of Air to Air Kills
Erich Hartman Would have Been Downed 14 times Himself Becuase Of fliyng trhoug His Exploding Victims!
This Seldom Happens In this Sim!
I Fly Many Aircraft Types And It is not only the Yak series Who looses control cables easily! EverFlown A Messerschmit, Or A Beaufighter?

Also in real life Often Hydaulic pressure would be Easlic destroyed(Visual Becuase the landing gear of the Victim would drop down)