PDA

View Full Version : Ping!?

ytareh
04-25-2005, 02:59 PM
Can someone give me a quick simple definition of this.I think its the reason Im getting kicked from some online games.I know some other players can seem unbelievably laggy and darting from one place to another.So does this mean I appear like that to others?!Is it due to internet connection(Im on broadband)graphics settings,or hardware?!(or a combination of all three?)Less obvious questions when search function fixed !!

Kasdeya
04-25-2005, 03:21 PM
Ping is roughly, the time it takes information to get from your computer to another, or from a server to yours. It varies on distance between the two computers and on connection type. Example: I live in South Louisiana, and I have broadband, if I fly on UK dedicated which is,I think, near London, my ping is near 130.

Lag and warp can come from different issues. Mainly if the host doesnt have a strong enough computer for the mission he's playing( heavey flak and many aircraft and ground objects) or many in the server have either high pings and or low end comps, or having something running that eats bandwidth, comms can do this and so can downloading skins and also running alot of processes in the background.

There are many different ways that warp and lag can be created, these are the more common ones though.

Try to find a server that has less than 200 ping to you, try to find background processes that aren't needed, and if your talking on comms, try to keep it to a minimum so it wont eat away at your bandwidth, and whomever elses on with you, thier bandwidth too.

Hope this helps

woofiedog
04-27-2005, 06:18 AM
Kasdeya... Thank's for the info about the Ping. I've ofen wondered about it's use... but never asked. Now I understand that it is useful.
Thank's

ytareh
04-27-2005, 10:15 AM
Yeah Thanks!

-HH-Quazi
04-27-2005, 11:32 AM
I would like to point out also that allot of the servers on HL will communicate better with your computer if you change the Net Speed in your config file in your FB folder, to match the speed of the server(s). If you set your Net Speed using IL2 Setup, and you are on broadband, then when you check you Net Speed in the config file it will be set to 25000. The servers on HL run their Net Speed at 8000, at least this is the speed that I have read about. If you set your speed to 8000 also, I believe the communication between both computers are better.

There was a huge thread/discussion about this very issue a while back and several of the server admins posted in that thread as well with this advice. Maybe someone else here that knows or remembers can elaborate a bit more on it as to exactly why this is a benefit to running smoothly and faster on the dedicated servers on HL.

CAPT_COTTON
04-27-2005, 12:15 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

I was on last nite and was flying at valjack room on UBI and i had 280 pings with about 12 players in room and as the night went on there was two of us left and my pings were 120 and his 31 i am in arkanas USA and server is in swenden dont rember where jester is from i think USA ---I am on dialup and jester is dsl and server????-his pings were 280 when i went in room forgot to look when went out. 1am in morn .I run a very clean and striped PC there is nothing in here but the game and the ability to get to lobbys and i have used all the tweakes that are shown on airwarfare in the TECH section .when i go on line i go to task manger and shut off all programs and run no firewall and viruis protection and i get no problems at all.the settings in game that effect pings are vido and net settings.i set net to 14kbps and at HL change to same thing and if you are under 1000 mb membery change vido settings to medmium and check pings and change till they drop if over 1000mb it dont mater at all.PS no routers of any kind neither[the more signals have to run thru ,the more problems.]

It takes a lot of time to clean PC to make it fly these big games right, and lots of flyers online dont take time to do this.SAD they are ones complaining about lag and i see none.

Its not your connection all time its your PC that is having trouble and you will get kicked when all players in room are driving the pings up high like i was told CAPT your pings suck and poof i was gone and about 10 mins later his room crashed????MY PINGS????sucked???and last nite in valjacks room a flyer was complaining and then said he checked his connection and it read T1 and still he had bad lag till he said he could not fly??????My plane was zipping alone without even a studder even thou he was spawing rite by me???

Clean thouse PCs and we all have great flying and better gunnery toooooo http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Rember i am on dialup and i can fly in Hyper Lobby with 120 pings and then in comes a dirty PC and the bitiching starts and the dialup is gone.Too Bad Too Sad for them cause i been flying in lots of rooms for years. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif

Tune Up you plane and it will fly better and higher and longer. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

I will always thunk it should work???