PDA

View Full Version : Should I install SB Live platinum 5.1 or mobo Realtek audio?

robotech
09-26-2004, 10:56 PM
Hey people

I just wondering if I shoud use my old sound card, the SB Live Platinum 5.1 or just use the Asus A8V mobo Realtek ALC850 8-channel audio? I heard that the mobo audio will eat some CPU cycles. But I also heard that SB 5.1 Live isn't particularly that good and will cut into CPU cycles as well or something to that effect. So here is what I would like to know:

1. If both are true then is it worth putting the SB live into my computer or to just stick with the mobo audio.

2. If both are true, is the diffence so small between the SB and Realtek that it would not make any noticable difference which one I use.

3. If the thing about SB live eating CPU cycles is not true then would I be better off installing the SB card into my cmput?

thanks for the input

robotech
09-26-2004, 10:56 PM
Hey people

I just wondering if I shoud use my old sound card, the SB Live Platinum 5.1 or just use the Asus A8V mobo Realtek ALC850 8-channel audio? I heard that the mobo audio will eat some CPU cycles. But I also heard that SB 5.1 Live isn't particularly that good and will cut into CPU cycles as well or something to that effect. So here is what I would like to know:

1. If both are true then is it worth putting the SB live into my computer or to just stick with the mobo audio.

2. If both are true, is the diffence so small between the SB and Realtek that it would not make any noticable difference which one I use.

3. If the thing about SB live eating CPU cycles is not true then would I be better off installing the SB card into my cmput?

thanks for the input

crazyivan1970
09-26-2004, 11:15 PM
SB Live will each just about as much CPU... I`d try on-board sound over SB Live

Heavy_Weather
09-27-2004, 07:44 AM
try them both http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Hawk_9th
09-27-2004, 09:46 AM
while i was waiting for my audigy 2 ,the asus board ran for me with no problems as long as i kept all sound options set as low as it would go. the live is pure s@#t I had one when il2 first came out i replaced it with a auditgy as soon as i could. hope that helps

Xiolablu3
09-27-2004, 03:57 PM
Absolutely, Definitely, No doubt about it use the Soundblaster m8.

I tried to put up with my Realtek AC97 audio on my motherboard and the sound quality was crap, and it stuttered and skipped when playing mp3s.

I tried all sorts of drivers, new and old and it seems Realtek audio is just like that...crap and cheap which is why its free on your motherboard. Its made for browsing the web and the odd beep windows makes, thats all.

I bought a Soundblaster Live for 4 second hand to replace it and its almost as good as my brothers Audigy. In fact I love it, its almost as good quality as my old Aureal Vortex.

Use the soundblaster....